PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber

cmj912
12-31-2011, 09:18 PM
One of the great inventions of our time: microfiber cloth.

Here's a fun tip I learned in one of my memorable journeys onto the Interwebz to find information about how to have the cleanest car ever. Never mind that the only way to actually have that happen is to never drive it...

Anyway:

I learned that you should wash all of your microfiber wash mitts, drying and polishing cloths and towels separate from other laundry. Harsh detergents are best avoided (well - they're probably best avoided anyway). I wash mine in - you guessed it - white vinegar. The best way to dry them is on low heat or preferably no heat at all. Since there is no such thing as "natural" microfiber, it will eventually deteriorate from heat and harsh wash chemicals; I learned this after several disappointing experiences with micros that eventually stopped having that lovely je nais sais quoi.

Deteriorated microfibers are still good for interior and glass cleaning, but I would not use them on any painted surface unless they are still in good condition.

This message is brought to you by a lovely anecdote involving how to scratch your paint without really trying:

I carefully clay the hatch and rear bumper of my car religiously. It seems to attract lots of sticky black crap I can't get off any other way. When I did this a couple of days ago, I applied a coat of sealant glaze over the fresh surface. Yay.

When I got to the gas station later that day I nearly had a heart attack. The hatch is covered in tiny spiderwebbed holograms!

I looked in the laundry basket when I got home and remembered, with a heavy heart...a friend of mine had helped me out by tossing in a load of laundry while I was wrestling the dog into the bathtub. All of the car wash towels need to be kept separate from ANYTHING my dog has been on because she chews these toys called Nylabones - nylon chew toys that dislodge tiny little pieces of plastic.

Apparently a load of microfibers had been washed with the dog's blanky. This is why they tell you that if you drop a microfiber towel, you may NOT use it again until assure its clean. All of the little plastic bits were stuck amongst the nap of about six towels. It is likely that these stupid nylon chippies are responsible for said marks on my trunk. Bummer.

So! Lesson! Treat your towels well and you will not spend the next three months completely repolishing the trunk of your FIAT!

boost
03-29-2015, 08:25 PM
One of the great inventions of our time: microfiber cloth.

Here's a fun tip I learned in one of my memorable journeys onto the Interwebz to find information about how to have the cleanest car ever. Never mind that the only way to actually have that happen is to never drive it...

Anyway:

I learned that you should wash all of your microfiber wash mitts, drying and polishing cloths and towels separate from other laundry. Harsh detergents are best avoided (well - they're probably best avoided anyway). I wash mine in - you guessed it - white vinegar. The best way to dry them is on low heat or preferably no heat at all. Since there is no such thing as "natural" microfiber, it will eventually deteriorate from heat and harsh wash chemicals; I learned this after several disappointing experiences with micros that eventually stopped having that lovely je nais sais quoi.

Deteriorated microfibers are still good for interior and glass cleaning, but I would not use them on any painted surface unless they are still in good condition.

This message is brought to you by a lovely anecdote involving how to scratch your paint without really trying:

I carefully clay the hatch and rear bumper of my car religiously. It seems to attract lots of sticky black crap I can't get off any other way. When I did this a couple of days ago, I applied a coat of sealant glaze over the fresh surface. Yay.

When I got to the gas station later that day I nearly had a heart attack. The hatch is covered in tiny spiderwebbed holograms!

I looked in the laundry basket when I got home and remembered, with a heavy heart...a friend of mine had helped me out by tossing in a load of laundry while I was wrestling the dog into the bathtub. All of the car wash towels need to be kept separate from ANYTHING my dog has been on because she chews these toys called Nylabones - nylon chew toys that dislodge tiny little pieces of plastic.

Apparently a load of microfibers had been washed with the dog's blanky. This is why they tell you that if you drop a microfiber towel, you may NOT use it again until assure its clean. All of the little plastic bits were stuck amongst the nap of about six towels. It is likely that these stupid nylon chippies are responsible for said marks on my trunk. Bummer.

So! Lesson! Treat your towels well and you will not spend the next three months completely repolishing the trunk of your FIAT!

As for detergent I also use Meguires Microfiber Towel Detergent. It is called Towel Kleen. It is a delicate detergent that helps open the fibers of the towels to release dirt. Will try White vinegar out though! That stuff works on everything.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
03-29-2015, 09:16 PM
As for detergent I also use Meguires Microfiber Towel Detergent. It is called Towel Kleen. It is a delicate detergent that helps open the fibers of the towels to release dirt. Will try White vinegar out though! That stuff works on everything.

Thanks for the tip, I have spend a few $ buying special soap from Chemical Guys to wash the microfiber. I had someone(wife) help me by drying a load a few weeks ago now I use them to clean the brake calipers only.