PDA

View Full Version : Abarth reverse lockout ring?

geeded
12-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Greetings,

I was just looking at closeups of the NA Abarth interior and comparing it to the 500 interior.

I noticed that the 500 has a noticeable collar with the reverse lift lockout built into the top (just below the shift knob). The Abarth appears to have either a shorter shifter (more likely a longer shift knob) or a higher shift boot but I see no indication of the "lift" reverse lockout collar.

Question for those who were lucky enough to sit and fiddle with the Abarths in LA, does the Abarth has a different shifter, or is the lift lockout collar under the leather boot ? Perhaps reverse is engaged differently in the Abarth?

Inquiring minds want to know....Also, my less inquiring mind also wants to know:cupcake:

Cheers and hope y'all had a very Merry Christmas!

Cheers

**CHRIS, PLEASE MOVE THIS TO THE ABARTH SECTION. I STARTED IT IN THE WRONG PLACE. SORRY ABOUT THAT!**

SeaDawg
12-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Perhaps reverse is engaged differently in the Abarth?

Inquiring minds want to know....Also, my less inquiring mind also wants to know
I'll venture a guess and say spring loaded detent.:peaceful:

fiat for life
12-26-2011, 02:16 PM
The Abarth will not have a lockout ring. Its not really necessary anyway. Reverse is not directly south of 5th gear anyway so you couldnt "catch" it if you tried.

msjulie33
12-26-2011, 03:05 PM
The Abarth will not have a lockout ring. Its not really necessary anyway. Reverse is not directly south of 5th gear anyway so you couldnt "catch" it if you tried.

Kinda like mine in my plain old Pop - my previous cars were 6 speeds and my auto-pilot slow-learning stick-shifting hand kept trying to put my MINI (5 speed) into the non-existant 6th gear (bah). Can't even mess that up on the Pop :)

Felnus
12-26-2011, 03:17 PM
I liked the reverse lockput setup on my Ford Focus. The gearshift had to be moved to the left of the 3-4 shift gate before you could engage reverse. I occasionally forget and try that in the 500. Doesn't work at all lol

VTEC Mini
12-26-2011, 07:08 PM
I didn't notice any lock out ring when I got to play with the Abarth in L.A...... I was to busy day dreaming though....

ciddyguy
12-27-2011, 12:12 AM
A little primer on manuals I learned earlier this year, that is of the reverse lockout.

I had noted that the 5spd manual transmission in the Fiat has a lockout but my '92 Ford Ranger truck, also a 5spd manual didn't and that got me researching and this is what I found.

Generally speaking a lockout for reverse is needed depending on the gears set (3, 4, 5, or 6 speed or more) and where reverse is located (to the left of first/second gates) or to the right (right of the fourth/fifth gates) and whether it's beneath a gear or in its own gate separate from the forward gears.

So in essence, 3spds, 5spds don't need a lockout as reverse is generally right below the final gear, the exception is VW, no matter how many forward gears it has as reverse is to the left and up next to 1st (Audi and possibly Porsche I think has the same layout) or left and down if any of the older air-cooled VW's. Thus they need a lockout and usually it requires one to push down on the gearshift before it'll go into reverse as this prevents one from accidentally going past 1st/2nd gear. Most everyone else uses right and down for placing Reverse.

So for 4 speeds and 6 speeds, a lockout is required as reverse is outside the normal "H" shifting pattern in its own gate so to prevent accidentally going past 4th/5th gear gates, a lockout is provided for that purpose.

It looked like the car was originally set up for the 6spd manual but when it would not fit for the US 500's, they reverted to the 5spd that's in there now and simply left the lockout for reverse intact, but it could simply be a precaution even though it is generally not necessary for the 5spd manuals from a safety standpoint.

Now, if they were to offer a 7 speed manual transmission then a lockout would not be necessary as 7th gear would be right above reverse, just like every other 3 or 5 speed manual.

So unless the Abarth uses a different gearshift, which may WELL be the case, they may elect to either eliminate the lockout if still using the 5spd or simply chose to use a different lockout system for it instead.

luke_vibert_uk
12-27-2011, 12:43 PM
There is no lockout on the Abarth manual gearboxes, its a simple neutral, over and down (from 5th).

1 3 5

2 4 R

Some of the 500 engines have lockout collars (IIRC the 1.2's)....

geeded
12-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the terrific answers. I now know much more than I did (more than me I hope). Again, thanks for the answers!

Cheers

pchop
05-08-2012, 01:01 AM
I find it necessary to shift into First then into Reverse to prevent the "clunk" when shifting from neutral into Reverse - even if the car is stopped.

wachuko
05-08-2012, 06:44 AM
I find it necessary to shift into First then into Reverse to prevent the "clunk" when shifting from neutral into Reverse - even if the car is stopped.

Funny you posted this, I find myself doing just that but purely out of habit...

BillE
05-08-2012, 09:08 AM

Yeah, it too easily gets a little grindy when shifting into reverse. The instruction 'sleeve' (for lack of a better word) that came with the car on the driver's visor says to come to a complete stop before selecting reverse. I think we've all found that that's not sufficient. I don't have the little owner's guide with me now (it's in the car) but I think it said to also pause 2 seconds. Doing that has worked when I remember. But as you said, shifting into First first does the trick. I also find that shifting into a higher gear works....at least so far.

Saxonite
11-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Yeah, it too easily gets a little grindy when shifting into reverse. The instruction 'sleeve' (for lack of a better word) that came with the car on the driver's visor says to come to a complete stop before selecting reverse. I think we've all found that that's not sufficient. I don't have the little owner's guide with me now (it's in the car) but I think it said to also pause 2 seconds. Doing that has worked when I remember. But as you said, shifting into First first does the trick. I also find that shifting into a higher gear works....at least so far.
I have wondered if that is for first time manual owners so they don't shift into reverse while the car is still moving and cause damage to the transmission. My sister did this once to her impreza when she was learning to drive manual and it didn't go well.