12-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Who thinks this
- is junk
- might hurt the motor
- might be a cheap thrill
- void the warranty
any/none of the above
http://www.superchargertuning.com/pages_contents/show/id/18

Sounds like an excellent way to turn your engine into a paper weight! 5 pounds of boost (even for short periods) in an engine not designed or modified for it is a disaster waiting to happen. (he says, holding up his vampire cross) --- :dread:

epb
12-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Those devices are junk - there's a reason real supercharging systems cost thousands of dollars rather than a couple hundred.

Felnus
12-23-2011, 09:41 PM
- is junk---in this case, very likely
- might hurt the motor---again, likely
- might be a cheap thrill----maybe(I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, see below)
- void the warranty---definitely

I actually recall Car and Driver magazine testing a Chevy truck of some kind number of years ago with a system similar in concept to this. It did produce both noticeable and meaningful gains on the truck. The big differences that I recall from this system, and these are key:

1.) It had fuel management that would add extra fuel when the electric supercharger kicked in at wide open throttle to keep the extra air from leaning out the engine.
2.) The intake system had a bypass so it could draw air normally when the electric supercharger wasn't running. That impeller, even if is turning freely, is going to cause a major restriction when the supercharger isn't running and kill your power.

Seems to me that more fun could be had with the same hassle by simply throwing a small nitrous oxide kit on the 500. It could probably easily handle a 35 shot wet kit properly installed and maintained but you would kiss your warranty goodbye.

msjulie33
12-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks - pretty much agree that our little engines are already higher compression than you would normally have with a boosted motor and < $200 ! too good to be true.

blefevre
12-24-2011, 01:35 AM
It's a gimic. It won't generate any additional "psi" over the vacuum generated by the engine. Sure, hook it into a sealed box and it might be able to generate 5psi, but not in a car engine.