PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflow Exhaust

SeaDawg
12-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Ordered the Magnaflow cat-back system this evening from CARiD. Pretty good price, free shipping via UPS. Also have received the K&N Fiat 500 air filter from Modern Performance.

Have Trumpet Will Travel
12-26-2011, 01:05 AM
Alright, Sea Dawg. Because I am interested in the Magnaflow I'd be happy to hear what your impressions are after installing and running it awhile. My only modification so far has been the RoadRace Motorsports C.A.I. which allows the "quartet" under the hood to sing-out. Now I want some sound from the exhaust, so please let us know what kind of "music" radiates from the rear of your car. HTWT.

SeaDawg
12-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Large box with MAGNAFLOW on the side has ARRIVED. Residing on the passenger side, the WHOLE passenger side of car (seat all the way forward, front seatback forward, rear seatback folded forward and box moved up near headrest on front seatback so I could get rear hatch closed). Good thing the car is so tall.

Installation scheduled for 11 a.m. tomorrow! Details to follow.

buzzny
12-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Large box with MAGNAFLOW on the side has ARRIVED. Residing on the passenger side, the WHOLE passenger side of car (seat all the way forward, front seatback forward, rear seatback folded forward and box moved up near headrest on front seatback so I could get rear hatch closed). Good thing the car is so tall.

Installation scheduled for 11 a.m. tomorrow! Details to follow.

Pictures! That would be cool with a report about ease of installation.

SeaDawg
12-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Pictures! That would be cool with a report about ease of installation.

I'll try and remember my camera. I'll take some pictures when we unpack the box. I don't want to get in the way. The service guys are really great about letting me watch what's going on. This should be about an hour or less job as it's basically a unbolt flange at catalytic converter pipe take two hangars loose disconnect pipes and remove stock muffler from rubber isolation mounts....install new pipe and resonator, reinstall front hangar, insert second pipe and clamp, reinstall 2nd hangar, then insert 'rabbit ears' on muffler in rubber isolation mounts, insert pipe w/muffler and tips into second pipe and clamp. Voila! Considering the car is only about 7 months old w/ less than 4,000 miles, it should come apart like a Tinker Toy, he says, looking apprehensively at his wallet.

tensleep
12-28-2011, 04:47 PM
......think I'll pull up a chair right over here.....

SeaDawg
12-29-2011, 04:23 PM
It's DONE! Took about 1 1/2 hours total. First, the tips were hiding under the bumper so we adjusted the piping joints so that they stuck out nicely. Then the bend where the pipe goes over the rear axle was hitting the body whenever the engine moved (accelerate, decelerate, back up an incline, etc.). So we let the tips move back under the bumper somewhat and retightened everything and that seemed to take care of the banging problem. The sound is just AWESOME! It is so deep and mellow. I reminds me of the sound of a mid 70's Fiat 124 spider, just a little louder. The growl, that used to come up through the floor with the stock resonator (which I found annoying) is gone with the smaller diameter, longer Magnaflow resonator. In fact when in 'cruise' mode you hear faint burbling sound from exhaust tips, but nothing comes up from under the car. I think the interior is quieter with the Magnaflow than with stock.

Many thanks to Lucas, Service Manager, Clarence, Tech, as well as Larry Taylor, Studio Director and Sales Staff of Fields Fiat of Orlando!

buzzny
12-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Nice!

2wheels4me
12-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Need VIDEO with sound!!!! (please!)

SeaDawg
12-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Need VIDEO with sound!!!! (please!)

Sorry, don't have the resources for that. I can honestly say though, that the You Tube Video that MagnaFlow has posted using that white Fiat 500 sounds exactly like mine sounds.

Fix it again Tony
02-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Has anyone tried messing with the original muffler to get a pleasing exhaust sound? Or simply swapped it out for another less restrictive unit? The price for the whole cat-back seems pretty steep.....

tec-9-7
02-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Seadawg -

Did you have to cut the stock exhaust to remove, or did it just unbolt and slip out?

SeaDawg
02-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Seadawg -

Did you have to cut the stock exhaust to remove, or did it just unbolt and slip out?

Short answer...NO

Just unbolted at the flange downstream of the cat converter, remove the pipe stabilizers from their rubber mounts and disconnect the axle back pipe and rear muffler. New MagnaFlow pieces did not require any welding or acetylene torch application. Two pipe clamps were included with MagnaFlow replacement system (just behind front resonator/muffler and just in front of rear axle). We reused the original gasket for the flanged joint.

tec-9-7
02-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Cool! When/if the price on this assembly moves to what I'd consider a more reasonable level, I will certainly consider it for my wife's Pop!

Have Trumpet Will Travel
02-05-2012, 02:21 AM
That's what I'm waiting for - price reduction and . . . Spring. Mine should come apart easily, due to low mileage: 1,100 now and probably around 2,000 miles by April, 2012. This will give me a very low-mileage complete exhaust to keep or sell. Coupled with my RRM C.A.I., we should be good to go. HTWT.