PDA

View Full Version : NA Abarth, how much HP? How about up to 210hp?

geeded
12-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Greetings,

Here's a Christmas present for all of us who were slightly disappointed with "only" 160 hp from our forthcoming cars:

http://www.abarth-scagliarini.com/abarth-scagliarini#!__abarth-scagliarini

How about 5 stages, from 165 up to 210hp? Yesssss....

Here is some info:

The five stages, or ‘Tappa’ as SCAGLIARINI calls them, range from Tappa 1º which includes a Sprint Filter air filter and intake (+5Hp), to Tappa 5º which includes Ragazzon performance exhaust system, Sprint Filter air filter and intake, and SCAGLIARINI controllers (+50Hp).

ABARTH 500¹
1,4L MultiAir 16V Turbo
160Hp

Tappa 1º
Sprint Filter Air Filter
Sprint Filter Air Intake
SCAGLIARINI Controller
165Hp
+5Hp

Tappa 2º
Sprint Filter Air Filter
Sprint Filter Air Intake
SCAGLIARINI Controller
Ragazzon Exhaust
175Hp
+15Hp

Tappa 3º
SCAGLIARINI ECU
195Hp
+35Hp

Tappa 4º
SCAGLIARINI ECU
Sprint Filter Air Filter
Sprint Filter Air Intake
SCAGLIARINI Controller
200Hp
+40Hp

Tappa 5º
SCAGLIARINI ECU
Sprint Filter Air Filter
Sprint Filter Air Intake
SCAGLIARINI Controller
Ragazzon Exhaust
210Hp
+50Hp

¹Fiat 500 Abarth

A G. Scagliarini & C°. company, SCAGLIARINI is the leading Abarth and Fiat 500 performance car company in Canada, Mexico and the United States. In addition to constructing performance cars for FIAT Studios and private clients, SCAGLIARINI is the exclusive reseller of genuine Abarth and Fiat European accessories and lifestyle collections in North America.

More info (and a new website, for me at least) is:

http://scorpionemagazine.blogspot.com/search/label/Abarth%20500

I know nothing about this except what's on the site but it's worth a look and cogitating about how much each "tappa" will cost. Also, it seems that some of these will be available through some Studios.

So, what do you think?

Merry Christmas!:)

blefevre
12-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Interesting.

I work in the same town that this place is apparently located. Their address is just a PO box and I can't find any info on google maps. I should check it out sometime. Nothing beats one-on-one time to verify the claims :)

Fiat500USA
12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
... SCAGLIARINI is the leading Abarth and Fiat 500 performance car company in Canada, Mexico and the United States... the exclusive reseller...

There are a lot of people in the FLU club that know about this company. A lot claims being made there...

Fiat500USA
12-21-2011, 12:31 PM
And this was tested on what car?

blefevre
12-21-2011, 12:52 PM
I sent them an email asking where their shop is. Maybe I can get some more information on this.

sk8ace
12-21-2011, 02:55 PM
If this is true then tuning options will be coming out wayyy sooner than I would have expected. I hope it is true and is verified with some sort of proof. 200 hp would be my goal for this car to be competitive with most cars on the steet (GTI's.. ect). It's going to be very interesting to see what becomes of this! There are some pretty decent cars coming in 2012 and I am still undecided. These kind of tuning options deff will put the Abarth back on the top of my list. I really don't want to end up with a car that I wont be able to tinker with.. like my Saturn, with zero tuning options.. This makes me happy :-D!

geeded
12-21-2011, 04:47 PM
And this was tested on what car?

Good question Chris. From the way it read, I sort of assumed they were backed (either formally or informally) by FIAT. If not... who knows? It is a very professional looking site but, this being the net and all, it could all be vaporware.

If nothing else, it gives us something to do while waiting for word on the Abarth from Mount Olympus, or maybe I should say, Mount Vesuvius ;).

Cheers

blefevre
12-21-2011, 05:02 PM
I received an email back. They have been doing testing with their parts in Europe for about a year now. They are looking for official space to put a shop/studio either in California or Colorado. Currently they share a warehouse in Colorado and have a third party shop to work though in Colorado. They are also looking for test cars once it is all set up to verify what they have been working on in Europe is the same for North America. No word on what car they were using for testing. Maybe the 1.4 multiair Punto Abarth? They also offer exhausts, intakes, LSD's, etc that will need to be test fitted to NA cars.

Fiat500USA
12-22-2011, 03:01 AM
Good question Chris. From the way it read, I sort of assumed they were backed (either formally or informally) by FIAT. If not... who knows? It is a very professional looking site but, this being the net and all, it could all be vaporware.

If nothing else, it gives us something to do while waiting for word on the Abarth from Mount Olympus, or maybe I should say, Mount Vesuvius ;).

Cheers

They have no affiliation with Fiat SpA or Abarth. It also appears they have no connection to Mr. Scagliarini (the co-founder of Abarth & Co.) other than using his name.

Read this (http://www.italiaspeed.com/2011/cars/fiat/08/500_scagliarini/0508_statements.html)... And this (http://www.facebook.com/notes/scagliarini/101311-g-scagliarini-c-managing-director-michael-salvarani-resigns-sells-positio/167664356655384)

I received an email back. They have been doing testing with their parts in Europe for about a year now. They are looking for official space to put a shop/studio either in California or Colorado. Currently they share a warehouse in Colorado and have a third party shop to work though in Colorado. They are also looking for test cars once it is all set up to verify what they have been working on in Europe is the same for North America. No word on what car they were using for testing. Maybe the 1.4 multiair Punto Abarth? They also offer exhausts, intakes, LSD's, etc that will need to be test fitted to NA cars.

"... SCAGLIARINI is the leading Abarth and Fiat 500 performance car company in Canada, Mexico and the United States..." ???????

A lot of claims and a lot of questions....

luke_vibert_uk
12-22-2011, 04:07 AM
Its a well known fact on the tuning forums that the original Turbo on the Abarths are pretty much at their max output unless you change it for the Turbo as fitted on the Tributo / Punto SS's (unless you are getting the larger turbo?).

I would use a reputable company until the market in the US is more established. TMC is a well used and well respected (independent) tuner in the UK for the Abarth cars.

Also I'm confused, the thread title says NA (Naturally Aspirated) but the details based on a Turbo engine.

Highly dubious figures being claimed and IMO I think they are preying on an excited market.

SeaDawg
12-22-2011, 05:00 AM
Also I'm confused, the thread title says NA (Naturally Aspirated) but the details based on a Turbo engine.

Good Morning:

I think the Moderator said somewhere in the forums that we were getting the larger turbo. Also, the NA means North American as opposed to European.:)

VTEC Mini
12-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Good stuff !!! CA smog laws will kill most of that for potential buyers though....:dejection::grumpy:

blefevre
12-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Good Morning:

I think the Moderator said somewhere in the forums that we were getting the larger turbo. Also, the NA means North American as opposed to European.:)

In the interview with some Abarth guy, he stated that the turbo in the north american abarth is almost maxed out at it's current level. Any added power would need a better turbo.

However, that was the same guy that said the diff was a real mechanical LSD, which was proven wrong, so I don't know if what he said is a good reference.

Fiat500USA
12-23-2011, 01:10 AM
In the interview with some Abarth guy, he stated that the turbo in the north American abarth is almost maxed out at it's current level. Any added power would need a better turbo.

However, that was the same guy that said the diff was a real mechanical LSD, which was proven wrong, so I don't know if what he said is a good reference.

He was misquoted or misunderstood, which is common from what I hear from the engineers. Below is an answer to one of my questions. Answer straight from the man who knows

Q1. What Turbo is in the Abarth? Euro-spec (IHI) or the same turbo found on the R3T / Punto SS (Garrett GT1446) or something different?

A1. The new 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth has a different turbocharger than the European-spec Abarth 500. For NAFTA, the car features the Garrett GT1446 (Honeywell), the proven turbo that is found in the Assetto Corse, R3T racecars and the Abarth Grande Punto. For reference, the European Abarth 500 (non-MultiAir) uses an IHI turbo.

geeded
12-23-2011, 02:27 AM
He was misquoted or misunderstood, which is common from what I hear from the engineers. Below is an answer to one of my questions. Answer straight from the man who knows

Q1. What Turbo is in the Abarth? Euro-spec (IHI) or the same turbo found on the R3T / Punto SS (Garrett GT1446) or something different?

A1. The new 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth has a different turbocharger than the European-spec Abarth 500. For NAFTA, the car features the Garrett GT1446 (Honeywell), the proven turbo that is found in the Assetto Corse, R3T racecars and the Abarth Grande Punto. For reference, the European Abarth 500 (non-MultiAir) uses an IHI turbo.

Sweet, I must have missed this. That means that our engine can be bumped to 180hp in the future. Of course, it was probably specced that way so the engine can be used in bigger cars i.e. Dodge Dart with more hp if needed but it does seem to allow some growing room for our own Abarth.

Cheers

luke_vibert_uk
12-23-2011, 01:28 PM
In which case then

That means that our engine can be bumped to 180hp in the future.

And the rest...

On the Euro Abarths the restricting factor is the smaller Turbo, however if you are getting the larger version then crack on!

Scorpion
12-24-2011, 12:57 AM
Anyone who has spent time working in the automotive performance aftermarket (as I have) are all too familiar with similar claims. I'm not from Missouri, but "show me".

blefevre
12-24-2011, 01:22 AM
Oh man! We get the better turbo right off the bat! That means 180hp is very possible for cheap.

DLAbarth
12-30-2011, 05:40 PM
I have the G-Tech 'S' ecu in my Abarth. G-Tech is an AMAZING tuner of this car and other major marques(Lambo,Porsche) etc. They have great exhausts as well. Enjoy-
http://g-techgmbh.de/cms/website.php?id=/en/products/abarth/500.htm

sk8ace
01-04-2012, 08:28 PM
A few minutes ago these guys posted a status on their facebook saying the prices of the Abarth and the 500t. That status has since been removed and a new one is put up in its place. "01/04/12 - SCAGLIARINI does not get involved in FIAT Studio business, but we can guarantee MSRP on Abarth 500. Please contact us and we will be happy to make a referral (and roll tuning into finance). info@abarth-scagliarini.com" The prices they HAD listed were 19,500 for the 500t and 21,500 for the Abarth. Very interesting!

https://www.facebook.com/AbarthSCAGLIARINI