PDA

View Full Version : 2012Fiat500: ESC - what is it exactly?

rana856
12-18-2011, 12:43 PM
I kind of know wbout this ESC - but exactly what is it and what function does it have and when should it be on/off????? curious (didn't get my full manual as yet from Detroit)

cmj912
12-18-2011, 12:49 PM
I kind of know wbout this ESC - but exactly what is it and what function does it have and when should it be on/off????? curious (didn't get my full manual as yet from Detroit)

From Wikipedia:

Electronic stability control (ESC) is a computerized technology [1][2] that may potentially improve the safety of a vehicle's stability by detecting and minimizing skids.[3] When ESC detects loss of steering control, it automatically applies the brakes to help "steer" the vehicle where the driver intends to go. Braking is automatically applied to wheels individually, such as the outer front wheel to counter oversteer or the inner rear wheel to counter understeer. Some ESC systems also reduce engine power until control is regained. ESC does not improve a vehicle's cornering performance; instead, it helps to minimize the loss of control. According to Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, one-third of fatal accidents could have been prevented by the technology.[4][5]

From me:
Most drivers under normal conditions would have absolutely no reason to ever turn off ESC. Experienced aggressive and sporting drivers sometimes like to turn it off to enhance handling and performance, but unless you are planning a loop of the Nurburgring at 85 MPH in your 500 I would just let the ESC alone.

rana856
12-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the precise explanation - - so then ESC is always "on" by default on Fiat 500? and if it is turned "off" yellow light appers on dash - -

luke_vibert_uk
12-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Most ESC system are disabled by a button BUT in most cases reactivate above 30mph. This is so that you are able to pull away in tricky conditions where, if the systems senses wheel spin, it cuts power. I am unsure if ypu can turn it fully off on the Fiat 500.

Certainly on the Abarth, enabling TTC (An electronic Limited Slip Diff) it cuts out the ESC. So instead of the ESC cutting engine power under wheel spin, TTC applies braking to appropriate axle.

Thad
12-18-2011, 06:32 PM
The Abarth will have a parital off mode. So there will be off, partial, and full on. I don't know details but I'm sure Chris has something on the main page.

geeded
12-18-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm unclear if the traction control is integrated into the NA ESC or are they separate as in the Euro Abarths?

cmj912
12-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the precise explanation - - so then ESC is always "on" by default on Fiat 500? and if it is turned "off" yellow light appers on dash - -

Yes, to explain the comments below were about the Abarth version, et cetera.

In a US market Fiat 500 the ESC is always active and monitoring the car. Pressing the button so that the light comes on will mean that it is turned off. The message center will also say "ESC off" when that happens. Should the light flash or another message appear without your touching the ESC button, I would consult the manual - often it means that the ESC has been activated and is doing its thing.

As I said ESC is designed for you to not have to worry about it. Driving enthusiasts, who like to talk about how to turn off the ESC, often refer to it as a "nanny" because it takes over certain functions of the car but for most drivers under normal conditions it is designed to keep you safe. Cars without it, by the way, rarely make top safety picks from the auto reviewers either.

SeaDawg
12-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Cars without it, by the way, rarely make top safety picks from the auto reviewers either.

Isn't ESC (Stability Control) MANDATORY as of the 2012 model year?

Fiat500USA
12-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Compared to the Euro Abarth, the US Abarth has the added feature of being able to turn off ESC. The Euro car has on or partial off. The US 500 has also has on or partial off.

Here is more about this system:

Upgraded Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
The new Fiat 500 features standard electronic stability control (ESC) for improved braking performance in wet or panic conditions.

Behind the scenes, the ESC system is ready to intervene by integrating key chassis control systems including electronic brake-force distribution (EBD), anti-lock brake system (ABS) and traction control systems (TCS) to control all four wheels in response to yaw and steering input.

In effect, ESC determines the driverís intentions and adjusts the vehicleís dynamic forces to maintain the driverís intended course. Should the driver exceed the performance limits of the road surface Ė such that the vehicle starts to oversteer or understeer Ė ESC instantly analyzes input from the wheel sensors and corrects the pending loss of control by applying any one, several or all of the systemís brakes.

Here are other brake and traction related systems that are standard on the Fiat 500:

All-speed traction control: Helps to keep driving wheels from spinning during acceleration from a stop or during all speeds by applying individual brakes alone or in combination with engine torque limitation to prevent wheel slip

Anti-lock brake system (ABS): Senses and prevents wheel lockup, offering improved steering control under extreme braking and/or slippery conditions (standard)

Brake Assist: In an emergency brake situation, the system applies maximum braking power, minimizing the stopping distance (standard)

Brake Override: When a disagreement exists between the throttle and the brake, the brake signal causes the engine controller to reduce engine power, allowing the operator to stop the Fiat 500 (standard)

Brake-traction control system (BTCS): Helps to keep driving wheels from spinning during acceleration from a stop or during slow speeds by applying individual brakes to the slipping wheel(s) (standard)

Electronic stability control (ESC): Enhances driver control and helps maintain directional stability under all conditions. Provides the benefit in critical driving situations, such as turns, and is valuable when driving on mixed-surface conditions, including snow, ice or gravel. If there is a discernible difference between driver input through the steering wheel and the Fiat 500ís path, ESC applies selective braking and throttle input to guide the vehicle back on to the driverís intended path (standard)

courtesy of Chrysler

cmj912
12-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Isn't ESC (Stability Control) MANDATORY as of the 2012 model year?

Right you are. I was thinking back. My first Honda Fit Sport (2010) did not have it.

cmj912
12-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Compared to the Euro Abarth, the US Abarth has the added feature of being able to turn off ESC. The Euro car has on or partial off. The US 500 has also has on or partial off.

Here is more about this system:

Upgraded Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
The new Fiat 500 features standard electronic stability control (ESC) for improved braking performance in wet or panic conditions.

Behind the scenes, the ESC system is ready to intervene by integrating key chassis control systems including electronic brake-force distribution (EBD), anti-lock brake system (ABS) and traction control systems (TCS) to control all four wheels in response to yaw and steering input.

In effect, ESC determines the driver’s intentions and adjusts the vehicle’s dynamic forces to maintain the driver’s intended course. Should the driver exceed the performance limits of the road surface – such that the vehicle starts to oversteer or understeer – ESC instantly analyzes input from the wheel sensors and corrects the pending loss of control by applying any one, several or all of the system’s brakes.

Here are other brake and traction related systems that are standard on the Fiat 500:

All-speed traction control: Helps to keep driving wheels from spinning during acceleration from a stop or during all speeds by applying individual brakes alone or in combination with engine torque limitation to prevent wheel slip

Anti-lock brake system (ABS): Senses and prevents wheel lockup, offering improved steering control under extreme braking and/or slippery conditions (standard)

Brake Assist: In an emergency brake situation, the system applies maximum braking power, minimizing the stopping distance (standard)

Brake Override: When a disagreement exists between the throttle and the brake, the brake signal causes the engine controller to reduce engine power, allowing the operator to stop the Fiat 500 (standard)

Brake-traction control system (BTCS): Helps to keep driving wheels from spinning during acceleration from a stop or during slow speeds by applying individual brakes to the slipping wheel(s) (standard)

Electronic stability control (ESC): Enhances driver control and helps maintain directional stability under all conditions. Provides the benefit in critical driving situations, such as turns, and is valuable when driving on mixed-surface conditions, including snow, ice or gravel. If there is a discernible difference between driver input through the steering wheel and the Fiat 500’s path, ESC applies selective braking and throttle input to guide the vehicle back on to the driver’s intended path (standard)

courtesy of Chrysler

Is that the system for the Abarth or all 500s?

Fiat500USA
12-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Is that the system for the Abarth or all 500s?

All Fiat 500s have these features as standard. Pretty neat... :)

epb
12-19-2011, 02:40 PM
That is the standard 500 - note no mention of TTC.

edit:beat me to it!

geeded
12-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Question:

In Europe, the Abarth has a TTC switch. When turned on, the TTC disables the Traction control since they both use the same process but for different purposes (from what I understand) but I don't know if it affects the ESC.

In the NA Abarth, we can turn the ESC (which is totally different than the Traction Control), partially off, or fully off. When this is done, the TTC is activated (again, from what I understand). Now, when the TTC is activated, does it turn off the traction control?

I hope this question is understandable.

Thanks

cmj912
12-20-2011, 10:03 AM
All Fiat 500s have these features as standard. Pretty neat... :)

I agree! I just wanted to make sure I commented that out specifically. The OP had asked about ESC in general and I wanted to make sure he/she wasn't confused by the comments added about being able to turn off the system in the Abarth or not.