PDA

View Full Version : ABARTH 500 Configurator

Itgb
12-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Since the anouncement for the US market, and seeing the cars in person at the LA auto show, I have been scouring the interweb for more. I came across the ABARTH website and saw they have a pretty nice configurator that you can play around with until Fiat USA gets theirs up and running. For those that haven't seen it yet, enjoy!

ABARTH 500 Configurator (http://www.abarth.it/uk/CMSUK/Pages/Home.aspx?CarConfig=500)

VTEC Mini
12-17-2011, 12:58 PM
The base Fiat 500 Abarth comes out to $23,056.80
The base Coopers S comes out to $23,800.00
A little savings but not enough to I think to steal customers away from MINI.

Mine came to $29,736.90 after the options I want.
An equivalent Cooper S with the same options was $28,150- a $1,000 cheaper and better performance.

That's not good for Fiat. I will not buy another MINI because they are junk but at the same time I don't think I would buy a Abarth for 30K.....

Thanks though for posting the link it is great fun!

Itgb
12-17-2011, 01:42 PM
You can't directly convert to US dollars from the price you see. Fiat USA will redo all of their pricing specifically for the US market to compete better against the Mini Cooper S. Just wait until they announce pricing before you write the Abarth off.

txdesign
12-18-2011, 07:02 PM
I will not buy another MINI because they are junk but at the same time I don't think I would buy a Abarth for 30K.....

I just hate it when people make generalizations like this. I had two Minis, an R50 and R53, and yes they needed a bit more care than a Camry as were a bit more expensive to fix, but overall they were dead reliable and had fantastic resale value when I sold them.
It's too bad you had a bad experience but that doesn't make all Minis junk.

VTEC Mini
12-18-2011, 07:43 PM
I just hate it when people make generalizations like this. I had two Minis, an R50 and R53, and yes they needed a bit more care than a Camry as were a bit more expensive to fix, but overall they were dead reliable and had fantastic resale value when I sold them.
It's too bad you had a bad experience but that doesn't make all Minis junk.I just hate when people make assumptions about people when they know nothing about them.

Not only have I owned a R53 that spent more time in the shop than on the road but I belong to and I am a governor of one of the largest MINI clubs in the western united states with over 1300 members. I have modded and worked on plenty of MINI's. I have participated in many MINI related charities and runs and sneak previews when a new model has been released. I have had friends and members break down on runs and had to turn their MINI's in under the Lemon Law.

Admittedly MINI's are either really good or really bad. Mostly they fall on the bad side. Consumer Reports backs this up as one of the worst used cars to buy and it is ranked far below average. I agree R50's are much more reliable also. I expect more from BMW and when spending between $23k and 35K and I don't like playing Russian Rulet where all the chambers are loaded but two. Yes they did have a good resale value and with the money I made off of it when I sold it I bought my classic Mini and what is funny it has been more reliable than the new MINI. As much as I love MINI's/ Minis and am constantly around them and their owners who are my friends I still would not buy another one.

txdesign
12-18-2011, 07:56 PM
I just hate when people make assumptions about people when they know nothing about them.

Not only have I owned a R53 that spent more time in the shop than on the road but I belong to and I am a governor of one of the largest MINI clubs in the western united states with over 1300 members. I have modded and worked on plenty of MINI's. I have participated in many MINI related charities and runs and sneak previews when a new model has been released. I have had friends and members break down on runs and had to turn their MINI's in under the Lemon Law.

Admittedly MINI's are either really good or really bad. Mostly they fall on the bad side. Consumer Reports backs this up as one of the worst used cars to buy and it is ranked far below average. I agree R50's are much more reliable also. I expect more from BMW and when spending between $23k and 35K and I don't like playing Russian Rulet where all the chambers are loaded but two. Yes they did have a good resale value and with the money I made off of it when I sold it I bought my classic Mini and what is funny it has been more reliable than the new MINI. As much as I love MINI's/ Minis and am constantly around them and their owners who are my friends I still would not buy another one.

I see. Maybe you should have put your background, and how you came to this conclusion, in your original post. The internet is full of people who proclaim their car a piece of crap after some minor inconvenience. You obviously have more experience with the Mini than most. I would not hesitate to buy another used R50/53 if a good one came my way.

VTEC Mini
12-18-2011, 08:07 PM
I see. Maybe you should have put your background, and how you came to this conclusion, in your original post. The internet is full of people who proclaim their car a piece of crap after some minor inconvenience. You obviously have more experience with the Mini than most. I would not hesitate to buy another used R50/53 if a good one came my way.Maybe your right and I should have. I do understand what you are saying and I agree some will take one experience they have had with one car and assume the worst of them all. But after being intimate with MINI/ Mini's for almost ten years now (My wife has even called it "unhealthy" at times) my opinion has been made with those many years and experiences. This is why I am going to give the Abarth a couple of years to see how it does. My MINI almost cost me my job and my marriage and I will not go through that again plus dealing with the manufacture on a chronic failure prone vehicle is an absolute nightmare.

Nero
12-21-2011, 03:42 PM
I owned a 2007 Mini Cooper S. As far as I am concerned the car sucks. Had numerous issues that the dealer could not fix so they gave me $1100 to essentially go away which is what I did. Traded the car and never looked back. Would never buy another Mini. Have a little over 8,000 miles on my Fiat 500 Cabrio and have had one issue to date. The roof liner did not fit properly so it was replaced and everything is fine. The issues with the Mini were a screeching sound from the dashboard at speeds over 75 mph which could not be fixed and a horrible noise in the under carriage which also could not be fixed.

VTEC Mini
12-21-2011, 04:11 PM
I owned a 2007 Mini Cooper S. As far as I am concerned the car sucks. Had numerous issues that the dealer could not fix so they gave me $1100 to essentially go away which is what I did. Traded the car and never looked back. Would never buy another Mini. Have a little over 8,000 miles on my Fiat 500 Cabrio and have had one issue to date. The roof liner did not fit properly so it was replaced and everything is fine. The issues with the Mini were a screeching sound from the dashboard at speeds over 75 mph which could not be fixed and a horrible noise in the under carriage which also could not be fixed.I hear ya! From 2500 miles on till I got rid of it at 42,000 miles I had; O2 sensor go out at 2500 miles, two window motors, A/C pannel, Power steering pump, power steering reservoir leak, coolant bottle leak, 3 engine mounts, 4 clutches and flywheels for the "Wookie clutch" they finally dismissed it as a natural phenomenon, Power steering hose leak, power steering motor and fan, valve cover leak, front end rebuilt once- rear end twice, fuel pump, numerous rattles to many to list, boot latch, and stereo problems. Every month it was in the shop and at it's record three times. Each time I had to travel two hours to get it fixed. NEVER AGAIN!