PDA

View Full Version : Dodge to Reintroduce the DART!

F500
12-06-2011, 12:28 PM
check it out! :D

http://www.dodge.com/en/dart/

sjmst
12-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Yes. It seems to be based upon an Alfa. IMHO, that Alfa is not the most beautiful shape. On an Alfa, maybe you can pull it off. On a Dodge? I just don't know. I hope so.

Giallo Edizione
12-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Dang, no slant six in the engine choices.

FiatPhil
12-06-2011, 01:24 PM
If you are old enough to remember the old Dodge Darts....I don't think you'd want to buy one.....

I hope this car is more stylish and performance oriented than the old Darts. I have no desire to drive a car like Mamie Eisenhower would drive (although she drove a Valiant; it's almost the same difference in my view).

cmj912
12-06-2011, 02:43 PM
I was picturing some risky, thrilling styling. Then I read the article and went a-lookin' - - - this is the 'Hornet' concept car; interesting they've decided to resurrect the Dart.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/23/dodge-calibers-alfa-romeo-based-replacement-spotted-wearing-cro/

blefevre
12-06-2011, 02:51 PM
I don't think I will ever be in a market for a 4 door car in that class but this should be interesting. Multi-air turbo, 4 wheel independent suspension, stiff chassis. Should be a good little car for those that buy it.

cmj912
12-06-2011, 02:57 PM
I'd posted this on the other link...more of a photo in perspective so you can see after all it does look very "Dodge like"...

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/23/dodge-calibers-alfa-romeo-based-replacement-spotted-wearing-cro/

Giallo Edizione
12-06-2011, 05:52 PM
If you are old enough to remember the old Dodge Darts....I don't think you'd want to buy one.....

I hope this car is more stylish and performance oriented than the old Darts. I have no desire to drive a car like Mamie Eisenhower would drive (although she drove a Valiant; it's almost the same difference in my view).

Maybe, but I'll bet that car is somewhere still running.....you could not kill those things.

Fiat500USA
12-07-2011, 02:04 AM

This will be very different, trust me. A cutting edge chassis and engine plus the chassis guys at Chrysler are talented. Preliminary info is they were able to do their thing, so I am looking forward to driving it.

Jeepnut
12-11-2011, 05:22 PM

Exactly why is that the Dart with a 340 was a quick little car andyou couldn't kill the slant six

FiatGusto
12-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Maybe, but I'll bet that car is somewhere still running.....you could not kill those things.

very true there is actually an original just a few blocks from my home yes it runs

Prima 109
12-13-2011, 11:41 PM
very true there is actually an original just a few blocks from my home yes it runs

I see them on occassion. It runs well and looks good(for a Dart). LOL.

KhalilWilliams
12-14-2011, 02:11 AM
Yes. It seems to be based upon an Alfa. IMHO, that Alfa is not the most beautiful shape. On an Alfa, maybe you can pull it off. On a Dodge? I just don't know. I hope so.
It's only based on a platform of an Alfa; more specifically the Giulietta hatchback. More than likely, it will be exclusively a four-door sedan. Which sucks, IMO, since I would honestly like to see a hatchback version; albeit one that was designed entirely by Dodge and nothing of a mere rebadging of the Giulietta.

Jeepnut
12-14-2011, 08:32 AM
It's only based on a platform of an Alfa; more specifically the Giulietta hatchback. More than likely, it will be exclusively a four-door sedan. Which sucks, IMO, since I would honestly like to see a hatchback version; albeit one that was designed entirely by Dodge and nothing of a mere rebadging of the Giulietta.
There are a few insiders at Chrysler that say the Dart is a sedan style hatchback

KhalilWilliams
12-14-2011, 09:40 AM
There are a few insiders at Chrysler that say the Dart is a sedan style hatchback

Hahahaha, I kinda wish you hadn't said that; I could imagine the Dart's appearance now! If they do release the Dart as such, I will be so interested!!! I would love to drive a sedan-style hatchback! Mind you, Alfa Romeo did it with their 33 of the 1980s/mid-1990s, and the 146 sedan of 1996! Those cars, in my opinion were awesome!!! Then again, I don't know how Dodge would pull that one off without trying to make the car Euro-looking, given its' American design.

eatworksleepdie
12-14-2011, 10:30 AM
my dad had a Dart back in the day. he had all kinds of go-fast parts on it, but that was a long time ago.. I don't remember any of the details other than he had one and got rid of it when i was probably about 7, so about 30 years ago, yikes i'm getting old!

PFVA63
12-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Hahahaha, I kinda wish you hadn't said that; I could imagine the Dart's appearance now! If they do release the Dart as such, I will be so interested!!! I would love to drive a sedan-style hatchback! Mind you, Alfa Romeo did it with their 33 of the 1980s/mid-1990s, and the 146 sedan of 1996! Those cars, in my opinion were awesome!!! Then again, I don't know how Dodge would pull that one off without trying to make the car Euro-looking, given its' American design.

Hi,

My old 93 Plymouth Sundance (and the similar Dodge Shadow) were also both Sedan style hatchbacks.

Pat

KhalilWilliams
12-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Hi,

My old 93 Plymouth Sundance (and the similar Dodge Shadow) were also both Sedan style hatchbacks.

Pat

Were they a hoot to drive? I'm just curious, since I never got to be in a Plymouth Sundance/Dodge Shadow, although I have seen them before, especially as a kid. Also, how was the practicality like with that kind of body style; I know regular hatchbacks are already capable and more than practical in comparison to a regular sedan.

Fiat500USA
12-15-2011, 12:45 AM
There will be absolutely no relationship between the old cars (1960s or the 1990s cars). Different cars and a different company. I had a 1970 Plymouth Duster with a V8 in 1979, and there wasn't a day I didn't burn the tires off of it. That was fun, but the technology was really old school even back then. The cars without the big engines to keep you occupied were basic transportation. The Sundance also falls into that category, like most American cars of that era(s).

This new Dart really has the potential to offer a driving dynamic that is unheard of from a traditional, mainstream American car. I say it is about time.

PFVA63
12-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Were they a hoot to drive? I'm just curious, since I never got to be in a Plymouth Sundance/Dodge Shadow, although I have seen them before, especially as a kid. Also, how was the practicality like with that kind of body style; I know regular hatchbacks are already capable and more than practical in comparison to a regular sedan.

Hi,

It took me awhile to find a picture of one with its hatch open on the internet, but here's one I downloaded from the internet showing a Dodge Shadow.

Overall, as shown in the image, the hatch opens up pretty much like a regular hatchback, so the only real drawback is that there's a little less space inside than a normal hatchback, but since the rear seats fold down, you can still get alot of stuff in.

Pat

SeaDawg
12-15-2011, 10:19 PM
This new Dart really has the potential to offer a driving dynamic that is unheard of from a traditional, mainstream American car. I say it is about time.

The REAL question is: 'Is the American Public ready for something that isn't like driving your Lazy Boy recliner?' Pardon my cynicism, but I have my doubts.