PDA

View Full Version : Tachometer placement

MrFiat
12-06-2011, 10:22 AM
This may be a bit picky, but the ONLY think I find annoying about the dash display is the placement of the Tachometer. I find it hard to see at a glance. It seems to me that the optimal arrangement is to have the Tach on the outer ring and the Soeedometer on the inner ring . (ie. Swap positions). The outer ring is larger and easier to see, and the speed is also numerically displayed whereas the RPM isn't. I rely on the Tach a lot, even during normal driving. As the Abarth is supposed to be a performance oriented car, one would think that the visibility and readability of the Tachometer should take precedence over the Speedometer.

Am I the only one who finds the existing setup a little strange in that respect? -- :dejection:

blefevre
12-06-2011, 11:36 AM
I agree 100%. When I drove a 500 I was lost as to what rpms I was at. I am sure I will get used to it eventually, but I wish it was switched too. The shift light in the Abarth is nice but that doesn't help with down shifting!

shil
12-06-2011, 12:26 PM
I'd rather that the speedo and the tach be side-by-side instead of the stylish co-cenctric layout FIAT chose. When I've got the seat and the steering wheel setup the way I like then the top of the speedo is cut off. Not really an issue: I generally glance at the digital readout.
To me, the current layout is a case of form over function. It does look cool...

luke_vibert_uk
12-06-2011, 12:35 PM
You get used to it and its part of the charm!

The problem I found when coming over from a car with a digital read out to analogue was the needle is quite small and difficult to see what speeds you are doing - essential when there are speed cameras about!

The binnacle is also quite dark especially on bright days and reflections, and the back lighting believe it or not works in a logic that is only Italian.

Dark Gloomy days or Evening light you turn on the headlights and thus the back lighting comes on - if the light sensor thinks there is enough light outside, it turns off the binnacle backlighting plunging it into darkness.

Either way the SHIFT light will be flashing away to tell you when to change up!

PFVA63
12-06-2011, 01:34 PM
To be honest, I kind of like it exactly as is. On previous cars, my eyes would dart left and right to see everything, but with the concentric rings, to me it seems fairly easy to take most everything in more quickly. And, although I do check my rpms frequently when driving, speed is still a more important thing to me, so I'm happy with it being on the outside track.

Just some thoughts

Pat

epb
12-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Yep, count me in as someone that likes the current arrangement - I've got no problem seeing the tach and like being able to take in both at a glance. Reviewers keeping going on about how there's too much information in the display, but I don't get why they're trying to read it all every time. I glance at the two outer rings and ignore the rest when I'm driving.

MrFiat
12-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Yep, count me in as someone that likes the current arrangement - I've got no problem seeing the tach and like being able to take in both at a glance. Reviewers keeping going on about how there's too much information in the display, but I don't get why they're trying to read it all every time. I glance at the two outer rings and ignore the rest when I'm driving.

Yes. I like it the concentric display also. But, it seems to me that the outer track is considerably easier to see at a glance than the inner. This, then, begs the question of whether the Speedo or the Tach is a more important instrument in your driving style. My concern still stands though. There are TWO speedometer indicators on the display and only One Tach, and the single Tach display is a little more difficult to observe without taking your attention from the road. Again, just personal preference, but I thought it interesting to see what others thought of the question. It's all quite interesting and, I guess, academic because - :topsy_turvy: - it's unlikely that Fiat will choose to change it.

PFVA63
12-06-2011, 06:48 PM
I guess another issue is that I don't have my car set to give a digital speed readout. Instead I ususally have my EVIC set to display Instantaneous MPG, etc.

Regards

Pat

epb
12-06-2011, 07:01 PM
This, then, begs the question of whether the Speedo or the Tach is a more important instrument in your driving style. My concern still stands though.

I'd say rpms are important, but I tend to judge that by ear rather than look at the tachometer. Given how I drive, knowing how much I'm breaking the speed limit by is more important. I should probably set that speed alarm function, really.

Max
12-07-2011, 01:02 AM
This may be a bit picky, but the ONLY think I find annoying about the dash display is the placement of the Tachometer. I find it hard to see at a glance. It seems to me that the optimal arrangement is to have the Tach on the outer ring and the Soeedometer on the inner ring . (ie. Swap positions). The outer ring is larger and easier to see, and the speed is also numerically displayed whereas the RPM isn't. I rely on the Tach a lot, even during normal driving. As the Abarth is supposed to be a performance oriented car, one would think that the visibility and readability of the Tachometer should take precedence over the Speedometer.

Am I the only one who finds the existing setup a little strange in that respect? -- :dejection:

I would have to agree. I guess I have not paid much attention to it yet as the 500's I have driven have been automatic. With manual driving I would prefer the tach be on the outside. Obviously the ABARTH should have a more prominent tach being a performance geared vehicle but we all know it won't have any differences.

Max

luke_vibert_uk
12-07-2011, 08:06 AM
As i've mentioned before you will get used to it. It took me a while as I came from a bigger car with a fully digital dash...

On the RHD versions we have the Boost gauge mounted in a pod on top of the dash. That with its flashing SHIFT^ light, watching the boost needle whapping round to full boost, taking note of the induction noise as it does and waiting for the bark and pop from the exhaust...who needs a tacho?! D

cmj912
12-07-2011, 10:51 AM
As i've mentioned before you will get used to it. It took me a while as I came from a bigger car with a fully digital dash...

On the RHD versions we have the Boost gauge mounted in a pod on top of the dash. That with its flashing SHIFT^ light, watching the boost needle whapping round to full boost, taking note of the induction noise as it does and waiting for the bark and pop from the exhaust...who needs a tacho?! D

I would think a driving enthusiast would be more annoyed by the SHIFT light then anything else - rather like "I'll shift when I'm $*%*%& good and ready!"
:)

As for the layout, I have an automatic and the gauges are the retro, not the Sport style. The tach seems easy enough to read; I will say that I look at the digital speed readout and almost never at the actual speedometer.

Felnus
12-07-2011, 10:59 AM
I would think a driving enthusiast would be more annoyed by the SHIFT light then anything else - rather like "I'll shift when I'm $*%*%& good and ready!"
:)

If the function is to nag you into better fuel economy I would agree, however in the Abarth it is more like, "Hey you are about to bounce your engine off the rev limiter and lose your boost pressure! Upshift so we can go FASTER!!"

luke_vibert_uk
12-07-2011, 11:09 AM
I can tell you now that the SHIFT light is definatly NOT set up for Economy ;)

This is Abarth we are talking about. (You can set it up for Eco in the menus... but why would you?!)

MrFiat
12-07-2011, 03:18 PM
I guess another issue is that I don't have my car set to give a digital speed readout. Instead I ususally have my EVIC set to display Instantaneous MPG, etc.Regards Pat

Hi Pat,
Took the 500 for an errand this morning and took a closer look at the display. Turns out that the speed is shown in numbers [mph] on the lower right side, across from the temperature reading. Perhaps the POP is different, but on my Sport, the speed reading is always there no matter which display mode I select.

I have a very early car and I noticed also that the design of the numbers and tick marks on both the Speedo and Tach are actually quite different from the 500s I was recently looking at in the showroom. On the newer 500s, the center of the display housing seems to be a little smaller, (or shaped a bit differently) allowing for a better view of the Tachometer in the inner ring. Perhaps my original concern is simply because I have an older design ???

Chris
12-07-2011, 03:57 PM
This is the first car I've owned with a digital speedo... I NEVER look at the dial any more for speed, just teh Tach so it doesn't bother me.

PFVA63
12-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Hi Pat,
Took the 500 for an errand this morning and took a closer look at the display. Turns out that the speed is shown in numbers [mph] on the lower right side, across from the temperature reading. Perhaps the POP is different, but on my Sport, the speed reading is always there no matter which display mode I select.

I have a very early car and I noticed also that the design of the numbers and tick marks on both the Speedo and Tach are actually quite different from the 500s I was recently looking at in the showroom. On the newer 500s, the center of the display housing seems to be a little smaller, (or shaped a bit differently) allowing for a better view of the Tachometer in the inner ring. Perhaps my original concern is simply because I have an older design ???

Thanks for the info. I hadn't realized that there was a difference. :)

Pat