PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intakes...thoughts and questions...

Felnus
12-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Despite telling myself that unlike my last last four vehicles I was going to leave the Fiat 500 alone from a performance modification standpoint, I find myself wanting a little extra power. The starting point with most cars is obviously improving the efficiency of the intake and exhaust. The easier it is for the engine to breathe, the more power it is going to make.

There are a number of intakes on the market for the US 500 and most claim increases in Horsepower of 4 to 6 and Torque of 5 to 7 ft-lbs(roughly give or take.) The reason for the similarity in my mind is that all are simply removing restrictive Fiat intake and replacing it with a tube of various diameter, stopping point, shape, filter etc. and then charging roughly $300-$400 for it and all achieving the same power gains. Considering the actual cost of filter and tube material and manufacture, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is a highly profitable racket.(No offense intended CAI manufacturers, we all gotta make a buck.) So here are my thoughts and questions on the various intakes that I am aware of and I would appreciate input from those who actually have purchased and installed one of these intakes.

1.) Competizione Sport Tuning--not sure of material here, plastic or coated metal of some kind? True Cold Air with foam filter in front of drivers side tire. Is relocating the horn required as with the Injen intake? On the dyno graph supplied for this intake, I cannot see an rpm reading so I can't tell where the pull starts on the before and after runs? Does this intake lose power versus stock before 2750 rpm before making gains after like the Injen? Answering some of my own questions here: no the horn does not have to be moved and you can use the stock engine cover apparently.

2.) Injen intake--appears to be painted metal? True Cold Air with cotton media filter in front of drivers side tire. Relocation of horn is required per instructions. Supplied dyno shows loss of power before 2750 rpm and gains through to the redline from that point. Pros here are full disclosure on what the intake does throughout the rev range and it is the least expensive one. There is a seller on ebay with this intake posted in either chrome or black for under $230 shipped. Very tempting. This one routes over the engine next to the exhaust manifold as well.

3.)Mopar intake--looks to be painted or coated metal? True Cold Air with cotton media filter in front of drivers side tire. It appears to route down the front of the engine which puts it closer to the exhaust manifold, not sure if this is ideal placement. No dyno that I am aware of but I would expect it to be similar to the others. Also this appears to be manufactured by AEM since it includes what appears to be one of their bypass valves so the engine won't ingest water. Nice touch but I'm not sure it is needed since you would have to immerse most of the filter in water to hydrolock an engine. If you manage to do that on the Fiat, you've dunked the whole front end in a river or a swimming pool and you've got bigger problems. Still, if you live in an area prone to flooding streets, not a bad idea.

4.)RoadRace Motorsports--not sure of material here, plastic or coated metal of some kind?Coated metal More of a "Short Ram" style intake with a cotton media filter located inside the engine bay. Dyno chart supplied starts at roughly 2750 rpms so cannot tell if intake loses power versus before that. I suspect it does, there really isn't any other reason to start a pull at that rpm if it was making power before that. During warmer weather I would be concerned with heat soak on this one.

5.)Replacement filter--simply removing stock paper air filter and replacing with aftermarket. Competizione Sport Tuning and K&N(part #33-2471) are the only ones on the market. Any before and after dyno graphs on these? It would be interesting to see how just replacing the filter in the restrictive stock intake changes power. If it was in the 3 to 5 horsepower range I couldn't see spending the extra $250 on an intake.

6.)Finally, any home built pioneers out there? There are no sensors in the intake so has anyone simply bought a filter and some elbows and straight pipe and did a DIY job? The biggest hassle in this I see would be the tube from the valve cover that attachs to the intake. To fit that, a bung would be needed in the piping used or possibly attaching a small breather filter to the valve cover exit. I assume this is for crankcase ventilation of some kind so this might mean some interesting smells/fumes that were being pulled into the engine before would reach your nose while driving. If anyone has some technical info on that part it might be helpful as I may go this route.

Post way folks, opinions wanted!

sjmst
12-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Good questions. I have the same ones. If I understand this right, power decreases with CAI at lower RPMS?
Is that right?That's a deal killer for me. That to me is exactly where I want the power increase. Mid range the car comes alive just fine now.

Felnus
12-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Yes, at least on the Injen intake, which is the only one that has posted a dyno graph that illustrates this. The graph for the CS Tuning intake doesn't have rpms listed but it shows only gains from what I assume is the 2750 rpm range or so. Again if it was making power before then I would certainly want to show that if I was selling it. Same thing for the Roadrace Motorsports graph, its starts in the 2750 rpm range and only shows gains which leads me to think that they and CSTuning did not want to post a graph that showed no gain or a loss of power below 2750 rpm. I applaud Injen for actually showing this.

That said, it is not unusual for an intake to do this. The smaller diameter and usually more convoluted route air takes through a stock intake may increase air velocity at lower rpms but restricts the total volume of air that can move through it at higher rpms. An aftermarket intake removes that high rpm restriction so the engine can draw all the air it needs easier at higher rpms but the trade off is that the velocity of the air moving through the intake drops to the point that the engine has to work harder to pull it into the cylinder at low rpms. Injen's dyno graph for the 500 (http://www.injen.com/galleries/products/81720111556sp5020.pdf) Note their run starts at 2100-2200 rpms. Also, the air/fuel ratio is interesting, the Fiat seems to run a bit on the rich side under full throttle, not a bad thing but I believe both more power and better fuel efficiency could be had with some tuning of the ECU.

There is always a trade off though, the power loss is not drastic and the gains to be had from what is roughly cruising rpm at 60-65 mph in 5th gear are obviously there regardless of intake(at least the ones with dyno sheets). Which is where I would want the extra power to be so I could add some throttle and pass someone rather than have to downshift and add throttle to do the same thing stock.

noliebro
12-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Just my .02
You won't be able to notice a power decrease at that level in the RPM's, especially when it is only a small amount. Most intakes will have small increases (between 3-7hp) and you will only feel a slight performance increase from stock. These cars tend to pull fine in 1st and you should only be in 1st gear till about 10-15mph anyway so the real gains are to be had at freeway speeds or in 3rd gear in town.

CAI are a great mod to have but don't expect the car to be a beast. The intake and an ECU tune will be enough power for me until a supercharger comes around. :)

Felnus
12-03-2011, 08:29 PM
I don't recall stating at any point that I was expecting "a beast" simply by replacing the stock intake, I believe I stated the expected gains in the original post, along with the fact that I have modified four other vehicles I have owned so I know what to expect.

With the Fiat, a gain of roughly 5% in horsepower at the wheels is going to be a performance increase you should be able to feel. Tire shredding monster, no.

Conversely, 5% loss of horsepower at the wheels at 2500 rpm may be a difference you can feel as well. The reason I asked for opinions from people who have already installed these intakes is to find out a.) is it something they notice b.) is the upper rpm benefit worth the tradeoff?

If you have already installed a CAI, great! What type and what is your opinion of the intake and what made you choose the one you did?

Have Trumpet Will Travel
12-04-2011, 12:44 AM
O.K., first off, the RRM C.A.I. is made of mild steel, crackle-finish (Red, powder coated? not sure), is an easy 15-20 minute install and is quiet at idle with the addictive intake drone increasing as rev's build. Put mine on at 597 miles, now at the 1,000-mile mark and am lovin' it. I don't notice any difference in performance just off-idle, but it seems to "come alive" at around 3,000 rpm. If I'm not misstaken, the dyno runs for most of these CAI's were made in third gear to around 90 mph and often the operator doesn't load the dyno at the lower rev's. Just an observation as even though I've been modifying my own cars for 45 years I have NO dyno experience. The other concern would be having the supplied K&N filter living in the engine compartment where higher temperatures exist, particularly in the summer. Luckily I live in rural Va. at an elevation of 1,500' MSL and our summers aren't too extreme heat-wise. Idling through town, living in the sun-belt, would be a different story. My $.02, HTWT

Felnus
12-04-2011, 01:04 AM
Excellent! This is exactly what I was looking for. As far as dyno runs go, I got spoiled by an outstanding company with my two previous cars http://www.fswerks.com Most if not all of their dynos were ran from 1700 rpms or so until redline, their parts were the highest quality you could get your hands on and everything I purchased from them did exactly what they said it would do.

By the way, I'm at about 2500' MSL out here in the moutains of VA so I'm probably down a few ponies compared to you lol

phattbam
12-04-2011, 02:28 AM
subscribing to see what others report back with their feedback.

Have Trumpet Will Travel
12-05-2011, 01:45 AM
Adding a little more info to post #6 of about 24 hours ago: Removing the stock air-box allows a little more mechanical noise, stock bunch of plastic is underlined with foam for noise reduction, I guess. IMO it looks better (more like the FIATs of 'yore) and makes access to the oil filter canister a whole lot easier (I do my own oil changes) HTWT.

Fiat500USA
12-05-2011, 02:18 AM
My concern would be having an intake grabbing air from inside the engine compartment. Hot air = less power. I think roughly for every 10 degrees in intake temperature costs almost one percent in power output, an intake that pulls in hot air can actually hurt power. Remember, it is called a "Cold Air Intake."

Would be fun to see some intake air temperature measurements to see if there is a difference. It is also possible in the real world, the different filter locations may not make much of a difference.

Felnus
12-05-2011, 06:22 PM
I would tend to agree however I've seen independently documented gains from short ram intake setups with the filter under the hood. Both on dyno runs with closed hoods and on the drag strip so they can and do make power. I think that if it is possible to safely run a true cold air intake then it is the best option though. I had one on my last car for over 50,000 miles in all manner of snow, ice, slush, rain and never had any issue with water getting in the intake however the area where the filters on all these CAI designs for the 500 seem to be a bit more open to the elements from below the car from what I can tell from pictures. Again, owners of these systems are more than welcome to chime in with their first hand experience on that issue.

mneuman916
12-05-2011, 09:38 PM
I installed the Injen and can say after about a hundred miles that there is no denying it made a difference. Install took about an hour in my driveway with hand tools. The horn relocation isn't as big a deal as it sounds at first. It's actually mounted in the same spot just angled up higher. The car has gone from subdued on the highway to more driveable if that makes any sense. It's obviously not throwing you back in your seat - but as you said with an engine making 101 horsepower stock - 4 or 5 extra horsies are going to be felt. When you get in there and see where the filter is located and how much it actually has surrounding it - you'll worry alot less about sucking up any water. It's pretty well protected. As you said - unless you plan on traversing a river you have little to worry about. If your plans actually include submerging the front of your Fiat on a regular basis - either stay stock or buy a Jeep. I considered the Road Race intake - but the thought of all that engine heat on a 90 degree day in Baltimore traffic getting sucked into the engine really turned me off. Now - more importantly - I present my freshly installed Injen for your viewing pleasure.

Felnus
12-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Have you noticed any real change in low rpm power at all?

mneuman916
12-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Zero.

Felnus
12-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Excellent!

mneuman916
12-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Add this to the mix - you can get a brand new Injen on Ebay for a mere $221.00 shipped. :)

sjmst
12-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Zero.

So felt no weaker at take off, but more power up higher?
Sounds good.

mneuman916
12-06-2011, 07:22 PM
So felt no weaker at take off, but more power up higher?
Sounds good.

Let me put it to you this way... even if I did feel a slight dip in power early on - which I do not whatsoever - I would STILL put this thing on my car. I can honestly say it makes that much difference in the higher RPM's. Now I just need to get these lowering springs installed - and decide what exhaust set up to go with. After that I may have to jump on the Road Race timing controller. :devilish:

Doodles
12-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Has anyone ever thought of siphoning off some air conditioned cold air and using it as Cold Air Intake
?
That would obviously be cold air ... .???

mneuman916
12-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Has anyone ever thought of siphoning off some air conditioned cold air and using it as Cold Air Intake
?
That would obviously be cold air ... .???

The performace gained from the colder air conditioned air would obviously be negated by having to run the power robbing a/c compressor. :-P

sjmst
12-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Let me put it to you this way... even if I did feel a slight dip in power early on - which I do not whatsoever - I would STILL put this thing on my car. I can honestly say it makes that much difference in the higher RPM's. Now I just need to get these lowering springs installed - and decide what exhaust set up to go with. After that I may have to jump on the Road Race timing controller. :devilish:
Great feedback..THANKS

noliebro
12-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Zero.

Since the Mopar intake I have is similar in design I get the same performance on my car with no power gain until you are north of 3,000rpm. I would imagine the RRM intake is better in that regard.

I know everyone mentioned the heat being a possible problem (with RRM) and that was my worry in socal where the summer it gets in the triple digits. So far the intake has offered great performance where I wanted it which is on the freeway... spend 85% of the time there and I can now pass people or accelerate without a 4th gear drop and a prayer. I purchased the Mopar for the name itself because I have had success in the past with their performance products and am somewhat of a fanatic. I am sure the same performance gains can be had for less cash (Injen) but I just wanted to try something new and different. Happy so far.

Felnus
12-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Excellent feedback! I have no doubts that the Mopar intake is a high quality piece, as I stated in the OP it looks to be manufactured by AEM for Mopar or uses their intake bypass valve.

allenm
07-23-2012, 01:10 AM
I have to recommend the Ingen cold air intake, put it in and in the past few weeks have learned to use it and appreciate it. I don't have numbers but here are some of the differences I have noticed on my 500 pe standard. When approaching the highway on the on ramp, I kick it into 2nd gear and go from 30 or so to 70 very quickly, shifting at about 5500 rpm. This gets me into traffic as fast as I am comfortable with. I have found myself getting near 80 by accident because the acceleration is so fast. I really don't think more power would be helpful or useful with my kind of driving. In town traffic is much more manageable by again stepping up the rpms. It's surprising how much difference there is in the sound with not having touched the stock exhaust. If I drive with a light foot it sounds stock. If I stomp on it even in lower gears it lets outs a nice growl. If I take it easy nothing noticeable. As noted Injen is the cheapest cai system, I think I paid $250.00. I'd say it's well worth it.

A disclaimer- I have no financial interest in Ingen or otherwise, just a happy consumer.

Allen in Vermont

mneuman916
07-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Just as an update - I ended up selling my INJEN and went with the Road Race short ram - should have done it from the start. Not to knock the INJEN - but the Road Race intake made an even more noticeable difference! Highly recommended!

NGEN
09-30-2012, 06:21 PM
Just as an update - I ended up selling my INJEN and went with the Road Race short ram - should have done it from the start. Not to knock the INJEN - but the Road Race intake made an even more noticeable difference! Highly recommended!

This is interesting

We put a k&n air filter in the Gucci and felt a little more power and surprisingly more sound.

Berliner
09-30-2012, 07:39 PM
I got the Injen on my 500C. My Airfilter sits in the left front Wheel Arche away from the Heat. Kinda it is hot in Phoenix anyway. But i love it. You can feel the difference over the Stock Intake and the Sound is awesome. My 500C in now a happy little Fiat.

The only down Side with the Airfilter in the Wheel Arch i can not play in the Rain Puddles during the Mooson Season. Darn it

500MADNESS.com
09-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Just an FYI those considering getting an intake. We have seven new intakes that we will be introducing in the week ahead for the ABARTH and the non ABARTH 500 cars.

MADNESSLuckyJay
11-06-2012, 03:17 PM
We also have our own line of intakes here at MADNESS, here is a link to our new red one!
http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=40_63&product_id=1360

CSCS
11-11-2012, 03:20 PM
My advice is to remove the restrictive stock intake set up and put a k&n filter directly at the TB opening. Most of the universal k&n filters come with a breather extension you can hook up that hose just like factory. $45 and pretty much the same performance increases as the $200-$400 intake systems. Remember your car has a whopping 100 horse power, you're not going to get any big increases from any of these systems no matter how fancy their tubing is. Also the more tubing involved, the further the air has to travel before it reaches the engine.

Alejandr0
11-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Chiming in kind of late here. I have direct experience with the Mopar CAI. See my albums for pics. I also purchased temperature probes to study the difference in air temps at intake and throttle body between the Mopar CAI and stock Fiat intake. So, I've learned a lot about the positives and negatives of the stock intake.

Stock intake pros: Sound insulation, heat insulation, mild RAM air effect from intake location.
Stock intake cons: Intake is mounted to the radiator. When not moving, the intake air gets very hot, very fast.

The stock intake is big and bulky because of the insulation it has. That insulation really helps to quiet the engine. I was not prepared for the increase in engine noise when I switched to the Mopar CAI. My temperature probe study also showed that the stock airbox does not heat up from the engine block anywhere near as fast as the Mopar CAI.

Knowing what I know now, here's how I would modify my intake:

1. Leave the stock air box and engine cover in place for sound and heat insulation.
2. Replace the stock air filter with a drop-in performance filter.
3. Disconnect the stock intake tube that runs from the radiator to the air box.
4. Duplicate and install a Mopar CAI downtube. That thing is the perfect shape, mounts securely onto the stock bumper bolt, and snakes its way to a great location for cooler air intake.
5. Fabricate a nice looking, composite (not metal) connector to go from the Mopar CAI downtube to the factory air box.

Berliner
11-12-2012, 04:12 PM
I got my Injen Intake now on for 4100 Miles and i love it. The only difference i can see to the Mopar Intake is the Valve so no moister will go into the Motor. This was not a big concern for me here in Arizona since we don,t get alot of rain. As far as the power loss at low Rpm,s i can,t feel it at about 3000 Rpm that 1.4 Engine is as happy as it can be. I will install another injen in the Girlfriends Sport.

Alejandr0
11-13-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm not a big fan of the valve. It's just a plastic skeleton with low-density foam formed around it and then fused to rubber tubing. It was really only useful for fitting the intake to both manual and automatic transmission versions of the Fiat. I've installed the Mopar CAI on both types. The auto is a much tighter fit. On first attempt, it was pushing up the hood. The valve acts as a second joint to allow the sections to be adjusted.

In terms of moisture, I side with you on the likelihood of a submersion event. If the Mopar intake CAI gets submerged, then you are going to have a lot more problems besides air flow to the throttle body. Even though the intake is low in the engine compartment, it is still higher than the exhaust tips and door sills.

For what it is worth, I think your solution is a good one.

CSCS
11-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Installed this last night in 10 minutes. Total cost $45.71. Many threads on another forum showing that the difference in the "cold air" intakes that have a filter down by the wheelwell don't make any more power than the intakes that have the tube and/or filter sitting up on top of the engine. Also the more tubing involved, the further distance the air has to travel before reaching the engine, and unless you're creating a perfect seal for a "ram air" effect, it's not going to make any more power on this little engine. My $.02 from modding high performance cars for the last 20 years ( man I'm getting old ). :)

Alejandr0
11-17-2012, 01:22 AM
Installed this last night in 10 minutes. Total cost $45.71. Many threads on another forum showing that the difference in the "cold air" intakes that have a filter down by the wheelwell don't make any more power than the intakes that have the tube and/or filter sitting up on top of the engine. Also the more tubing involved, the further distance the air has to travel before reaching the engine, and unless you're creating a perfect seal for a "ram air" effect, it's not going to make any more power on this little engine. My $.02 from modding high performance cars for the last 20 years ( man I'm getting old ). :)

I'm curious as to what you decided to do with your radiator reservoir line now that the air box is gone. Are you letting it lie there, or have you come up with some way to keep it elevated? After I installed my CAI, I was surprised to find that the line gets HOT, while the black thing I left it laying on was only mildly warm to the touch. I ended up making hangers for my line...but I'm interested in knowing what you will do.

CaBooSe
11-17-2012, 08:14 AM
CSCS You have any part numbers for the K&N filter and the tubing ??

Tks
Rico

Tweak
11-17-2012, 11:32 AM
CSCS You have any part numbers for the K&N filter and the tubing ??

Tks
Rico

This is the seller of the intake you refer to, not sure he is on this forum but he is on the "other forum".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-2013-Fiat-500-USA-Short-Shot-Intake-System-with-K-N-Filter-/261125190129?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccc4631f1&vxp=mtr

CaBooSe
11-17-2012, 01:22 PM
CSCS Says he put it together himself for 45$ where as one on ebay is $80 + 16$ for shipping....

phattbam
11-17-2012, 01:56 PM
CSCS, do you notice the "wooshing" sound from the intake? also does the engine feel peppier?

Felnus
11-17-2012, 02:25 PM
I would have a couple concerns with the filter on the intake plenum approach. One would be the size of the filter. It doesn't appear to have enough area to provide enough air flow and thus could be restricting the engine and actually losing power. The other one would be whether or not it would be generating turbulence causing any mass air sensors inside the plenum not to read accurately.

Tweak
11-17-2012, 03:09 PM
CSCS Says he put it together himself for 45$ where as one on ebay is $80 + 16$ for shipping....

Correct, but the guy that makes the one I linked to is the person I think he spoke with on the other forum and is the one he modeled his after, just giving you an alternative in the event you decide you want the same setup but would prefer to just buy and install.

Tweak
11-17-2012, 03:11 PM
CSCS, do you notice the "wooshing" sound from the intake? also does the engine feel peppier?

The "whoosh" sound is what you normally hear from the Abarth due to the turbo no longer being muffled by the stock intake, that said there is pretty much always a bit more growl with the intakes once changed. I assume this is the whoosh you are referring to phat.

tec-9-7
01-07-2013, 04:30 PM
My concern would be having an intake grabbing air from inside the engine compartment. Hot air = less power. I think roughly for every 10 degrees in intake temperature costs almost one percent in power output, an intake that pulls in hot air can actually hurt power. Remember, it is called a "Cold Air Intake."

Would be fun to see some intake air temperature measurements to see if there is a difference. It is also possible in the real world, the different filter locations may not make much of a difference.

This is an interesting question that I don't think I've ever had answered to my satisfaction regarding the Fiat. The real answer to the 'hot air = less power" question is that it seems to depend on the manufacturer.

I've had a couple of Hondas and those cars ABSOLUTELY preferred a CAI. The tuning was such that an under-hood intakes increased flow was more than off-set by the ECU pulling timing to compensate for warmer air. Conversely, I've also owned a Nissan product, and those were the opposite - the Nissan didn't care at all about quality of incoming air; it wanted quantity - the more, the better.

Unfortunately the only way to really test for this would be to take a car - preferably and automatic to minimize driver variation - to a drag strip, and do a series of back-to-back-to-back runs changing intakes and charting results. When/if anyone does this, let me know - until then, we're basically bench-racing.

Pinecone
01-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Colder air is better.

Maybe on a specific car, more air is good, even if it warmer, but more air and colder is even better.

Colder air is higher density, so for a given amount of air, more O2 molecules, so you can burn more fuel and this makes more power.

Venom51
05-07-2013, 08:54 PM
I realize this is an old thread but I'm looking at intakes and exhausts and hope the forum can help. Although I'm not wanting or expecting massive power gains, what I'm hoping for is a little more useable power and slightly better mpg. I'm still not sold on a drop-in filter but still haven't been convinced on any one cai.

Also, I'm looking at several exhausts and would like some feedback on axle-back vs catback. Some of my main concerns are warranty and cel's. I'm contemplating the road race corsa intake and exhaust.

http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_77&products_id=966

http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_77&products_id=968

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

phattbam
05-07-2013, 10:36 PM
that's what I have in my car... it runs nice. has a throaty growl and does not drone

Venom51
05-07-2013, 11:03 PM
that's what I have in my car... it runs nice. has a throaty growl and does not drone

Thanks for the reply.
Did you notice an increase in mpg?
Is there a little more power?
Anything you'd change about it?

Im thinking about pulling the back seat. Do you think the growl would be annoying?

Sorry for all the questions but it's a good chunk of change so I want to make it count Thanks again!

phattbam
05-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Hello,

I dont know if there was a change in MPG. i did drive it much harder after these mods. I wanted to hear the exhaust and the intake. It did open up a little untapped power that was in our 1.4L hamster wheels :D I dont think I would change anything about it. I have pondered the thought of the rear seat delete option, but sometimes I do have a 2nd passenger and would need that rear seat in place. I preferred the rumble. I have always modified the intake and/or exhaust of my vehicles, so the added growl was a plus.

where are you located? I'm sure there are some forum members around the nation that may have some intake and exhaust mods that they would be willing to meet up and share some time

Venom51
05-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Hello,

I dont know if there was a change in MPG. i did drive it much harder after these mods. I wanted to hear the exhaust and the intake. It did open up a little untapped power that was in our 1.4L hamster wheels :D I dont think I would change anything about it. I have pondered the thought of the rear seat delete option, but sometimes I do have a 2nd passenger and would need that rear seat in place. I preferred the rumble. I have always modified the intake and/or exhaust of my vehicles, so the added growl was a plus.

where are you located? I'm sure there are some forum members around the nation that may have some intake and exhaust mods that they would be willing to meet up and share some time

Thanks again for the info! I'm in texas and hoping someone in my area will chime in. More than likely though, I'll go with this setup. :Peace:

HID/LEDsolutions
06-04-2013, 01:34 AM

I agree

Wicked Cinq
06-04-2013, 08:43 PM
I've got the RRM Corsa intake. Like everyone else said, it does give a little extra power. Mine is paired with their exhaust and timing controller. With all three together, I am seeing an mpg increase of around 2 mpg (it also sounds great and has more power). I have had them on for a couple weeks now, and two tanks of gas. I went from 32 to 34 mpg, and it was consistent the last two tanks.

I've also been stuck in traffic in humid 85 degree heat for an hour, and I didn't really see any performance drop. So, even though the air was hot under the hood, the intake seems to be ok. It can't be worse than the stock setup. That big black box right over the exhaust manifold and engine. Just soaking up all the heat...

Pitbull
08-14-2013, 12:20 AM
I ordered a K&N RU-2580 2" rubber filter. It's basically the "kit" that is on eBay under the Zonker Garage sight. Basically you pop off the stock intake, remove the elbow from the filter box to the intake runner, and slip the filter over the end. It sits at the upper left corner of the engine over a nice cool spot that draws fresh air in from under the car.

You make a short ram setup, the car makes the coolest noises, and you can really hear the turbo breathing and whooshing. I've also increased MPG by about 2 across the board, and seat of the pants says the sprint to 60 takes a few ticks less.

Best part, $33.99 plus shipping.

phattbam
08-14-2013, 01:33 AM
@pitbull,

do you have any photos of your setup?

Tweak
08-14-2013, 08:42 AM
I ordered a K&N RU-2580 2" rubber filter. It's basically the "kit" that is on eBay under the Zonker Garage sight. Basically you pop off the stock intake, remove the elbow from the filter box to the intake runner, and slip the filter over the end. It sits at the upper left corner of the engine over a nice cool spot that draws fresh air in from under the car.

You make a short ram setup, the car makes the coolest noises, and you can really hear the turbo breathing and whooshing. I've also increased MPG by about 2 across the board, and seat of the pants says the sprint to 60 takes a few ticks less.

Best part, $33.99 plus shipping.

Welcome to the forum. As posted above pics would be a nice addition. ;)