PDA

View Full Version : Mopar Cold Air Intake Installed

noliebro
12-03-2011, 02:14 AM
So I got the Mopar Cold Air Intake from the dealer today and ran home to install it. Installation isn't too bad and the instructions are fairly clear on how best to put it together. Took just over an hour due to some fitment issues and having to take the wheel off and battery out. The sound is noticeable and the performance increase is fantastic. Most of the power from the intake come in the mid-range around 3-4,000 rpm. The growl is slightly less than some intakes I have owned in the past on other vehicles but you can certainly hear it. The dealer said that they are on back order now but many vendors have them already and most are around $326.

Here are the pics:

sjmst
12-03-2011, 09:02 AM
So I got the Mopar Cold Air Intake from the dealer today and ran home to install it. Installation isn't too bad and the instructions are fairly clear on how best to put it together. Took just over an hour due to some fitment issues and having to take the wheel off and battery out. The sound is noticeable and the performance increase is fantastic. Most of the power from the intake come in the mid-range around 3-4,000 rpm. The growl is slightly less than some intakes I have owned in the past on other vehicles but you can certainly hear it. The dealer said that they are on back order now but many vendors have them already and most are around $326.

I was going to do this, but how big a PITA is taking off the wheel and inner fender to change the filter?
Also, how is the power from first gear?

noliebro
12-03-2011, 05:05 PM
It shouldn't be that bad... I would say 20 minutes if you had to. I usually only clean these types of filters or replace it every 3 years anyway.

Power is goo, first gear you wont notice it as much because the gear is so short. The rest of the gears you feel a difference in power around 4,000 rpm and up. Nice to have on the freeway when you re looking to pass.

phattbam
12-04-2011, 02:28 AM
does it make that nice whooshing sound?

noliebro
12-07-2011, 01:47 PM
does it make that nice whooshing sound?

it does indeed, haha. Has a bit of a growl to it now.

So far my impressions are that most of the power made is from 3,000+ rpms and lower than that you wont notice a difference. Most of the time I shift so that the tach stays north of 2,500 so it seems to pull nice in all gears. Biggest improvement can be felt in 5th gear at about 60mph... it will actually pull and you can now go 60-75mph in about 2-3 seconds instead of 15 seconds like before :)

phattbam
12-07-2011, 01:57 PM
hmmm black or polished is now the question.

SilverSpurTX
02-28-2012, 03:07 PM
it does indeed, haha. Has a bit of a growl to it now.

So far my impressions are that most of the power made is from 3,000+ rpms and lower than that you wont notice a difference. Most of the time I shift so that the tach stays north of 2,500 so it seems to pull nice in all gears. Biggest improvement can be felt in 5th gear at about 60mph... it will actually pull and you can now go 60-75mph in about 2-3 seconds instead of 15 seconds like before :)

Hi I am purchasing my second 500 and having wheels and the Mopar Air intake installed next week, and was curious to see how you liked yours and how it preformed. I read what you posted prior, but what about mileage noticed a change? Does it run rough or does it feel like its factory with better sound and feel? Did you notice any change in the 0-60?

Gracis,

Thomas

noliebro
02-28-2012, 03:32 PM
I love it so far and have about 3-4,000 miles since install. With the 5 speed manual I still get around similar numbers with 35mpg on average in stop and go traffic and I can get around 38-40 mpg on long trips averaging around 65-70mph. The engine noise is louder mostly due to the fact that you remove the engine cover and it has about 2 inches of sound deadening material on it. The engine noise takes about a week or so to get used to but the noise the intake makes is very nice and you can get some stares downshifting in a tunnel.

Gains from 0-60mph haven't really been measured but I would say about a half second quicker. Gains from like 45mph+ are very nice and I can find myself staring down when getting on a freeway ramp to see that I am approaching 80mph... something that never happened before.

wachuko
02-28-2012, 06:41 PM
I went to the dealer and the one they gave me to test drive had the Mopar Cold Air Intake and the Sport exhaust installed... I had a grin on my face from the time I got in and started the car... The 500 is truly a driver's car. Fun, fun, fun!

SilverSpurTX
03-01-2012, 10:29 AM
I love it so far and have about 3-4,000 miles since install. With the 5 speed manual I still get around similar numbers with 35mpg on average in stop and go traffic and I can get around 38-40 mpg on long trips averaging around 65-70mph. The engine noise is louder mostly due to the fact that you remove the engine cover and it has about 2 inches of sound deadening material on it. The engine noise takes about a week or so to get used to but the noise the intake makes is very nice and you can get some stares downshifting in a tunnel.

Gains from 0-60mph haven't really been measured but I would say about a half second quicker. Gains from like 45mph+ are very nice and I can find myself staring down when getting on a freeway ramp to see that I am approaching 80mph... something that never happened before.

Ok cool that's what I was looking for. I ll have to find a tunnel now. I can't wait to get installed on my car. It will be fun to take it to shows now and roll up with a nice sound. Thanks man. Yes it truly is a drivers car.

Roadpizza
03-04-2012, 09:59 PM
I have to ask this.... why do you have to remove the wheel for installation?:indecisiveness:

Fix it again Tony
03-04-2012, 11:00 PM
I have to ask this.... why do you have to remove the wheel for installation?:indecisiveness:

The actual air intake itself sits just forward of the front wheel (allowing the unit to collect the coldest available air), so you need to remove the wheel, then access the compartment in front of the wheel well by removing three screws and the plastic inner fender piece. Then you insert the lower section of the CAI tube and connect it to the upper section. With the Mopar installation they talk about battery removal, but that was not necessary with installation of my Competizione CAI unit which employs a different route through the engine compartment.

eddiebabyny
03-07-2012, 05:45 AM

Thanks for the post, very interesting! intake will be the first mod I do to my new black 500c. But my question is...do you really loose the sound deadening engine cover for this install? If so, it might make me think twice. Maybe go with the drop-in filter which is less expensive. Really want the intake tho...

AMX
03-11-2012, 09:16 AM
One of the things I appreciate about my new 500 is that it is nice and tight and quiet while cruising. Would you comment on whether or not the CAI and corresponding lack of engine cover increases the noise in the cabin at highway speeds, say cruising at 70-75? I expect that I will enjoy the performance, and the snarl from the intake, and just crank up the stereo, but would rather not listen to my wife say "what IS that damn NOISE" for hundreds of miles.

Roadpizza
03-11-2012, 11:36 AM
When my wife is riding in the car with me . I always know what the damn noise is...

500MADNESS.com
03-11-2012, 11:44 AM
For those of you looking for a Cold Air Intake we stock the majority of what is available for the FIAT 500. We also guarantee the lowest price on every item we offer.

If you have your heart set on the Mopar Intake and your local dealer is out of stock, we can help. We carry the unit in stock and can ship it out anywhere within 24 hours. If you see anything we offer for less anywhere else in stock give us a call at 562-981-6800 and we will match it.

If you are local we have each unit in stock and can show you the pros and cons of every unit. We also install at our shop.

Here is the direct link to our Cold Air Intake Category:

http://www.500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=40_63

Any questions please do not hesitate to call.

500ways
05-08-2012, 12:03 AM

I am in agreement with your assessment of the cold air intake. I tested a drop-in filter and the CAI before making the decision. My buddy has a drop-in and my Studio has a demo with a CAI installed. The Mopar CAI is the more expensive alternative, but it holds its own and in my mind worth the additional bucks. Throttle response is greatly improved. I am able to take certain hills in higher gears now without lugging the engine as before. As you also state in one of your other posts, the "biggest improvement can be felt in 5th gear at about 60mph... it will actually pull and you can now go 60-75mph in about 2-3 seconds instead of 15 seconds like before." I couldn't agree more. In addition, MPGs have improved by roughly 2 MPG. The filter requires cleaning every 20,000 miles. It does NOT need oiling and is considered a lifetime filter. You only need water and a household-type detergent to clean it, if I recall correctly. As with a drop-in filter, you never need to buy another replacement. This goes one better because you also don't need to buy the oiling solution. The way I see it, over the long run, it will pay for itself through the savings in replacement filters, an oiling solution and the improvement in MPGs.

Your immediate pay-back is better throttle response and your 500 will breathe better. It will not transform your 500 into a rocket. Please be realistic. However, you will easily reap a 5 HP increase to the wheels. On a 101 HP car, that's pretty darn good. And when you really want to have some fun, push the Sport button, rev that 1.4 high, use premium gas, shift close to redline and kick some butt. On the commute to work, drive like a sane, responsible, speed-limit obeying driver, and easliy get 42 MPG. The best of both worlds in one little package.

I have the 500 Sport. The Sport has different shocks and struts and is sport tuned. I have always liked and prefer crisp turn-ins, so I also added the Mopar front chassis brace to complement the suspension. It is NOT a true strut bar. It is a chassis brace. It does improve "feel." It doesn't change the handling ability of the car, but it is a nice complement to the sport tuned suspension, if that's your thing.

Did I mention how much I love this car?

Roadpizza
05-08-2012, 12:20 AM
I concur....LOL

Haring
05-08-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm tempted to buy this one since it's only a little bit more than the others. I was curious if anyone knew out of the CAI out there, how they all rank in how loud they are. I'm afraid I'll buy this one and then realize that one of the others is louder and this one isn't loud enough. I do like that it's Mopar so I'm not as nervous when going to the dealership.

grippymonkey
05-17-2012, 12:34 AM
I will probably go with this CAI. From what you guys have described in this thread it will be the extra little "something" I am looking for out of my 500.

WIBOB
05-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Just put in the MOPAR CAI and it makes a big difference. It was a pain moving the horn in the front compartment ( once the front wheel is reoved for access) but other than that it was a breeze to put in. It perofrmed better than I expected. I would recommend it to any one that is looking for that "extra kick".

Evelyn Salt
06-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the post, very interesting! intake will be the first mod I do to my new black 500c. But my question is...do you really loose the sound deadening engine cover for this install? If so, it might make me think twice. Maybe go with the drop-in filter which is less expensive. Really want the intake tho...
I had a K&N drop in filter installed, and performance is greatly improved.
This seems to be the best way to go for less than 50 bucks and easy install.
There's a thread about K&N that's worth reading before you do any thing else.

WIBOB
06-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Evelyn

I got the Drop in filter from 500 Madness when I got the POP and it did make adifference. But with the CAI from MOPAR you realy feel a big difference. The drop in is easier to put in and you get better performance than stock, But with the CAI it multiplies that by many fold. It is stronger in the mid range of the gears as you are acclerating (no lag just go,go,go). If you are a do it yourselfer and have limited mechanical skills the drop in is the way to go to let the engine breath a better. If you drive both you will realy feel the difference between the two. :)

Roxy500
06-11-2012, 07:59 PM
I've got the MOPAR CAI the first month I got my Sport and noticed a pretty big difference .. Certainly more top end . My only drawback with it is the access to the filter you need to take off the driver's side wheel and go in through the inner wheel well. A bit of a pain . If I could do it again I'd get the Injen or the RoadRace intake . However with that said I'm not looking to take my CAI off . It's still a good setup.

deathshead
06-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Make sure you pull and check that filter AT-LEAST at every oil change. My srt-4 acr came with a similar dealer installed Mopar CAI.
When I picked up the car and checked out the filter it was rotten from getting moisture on it and its a PITA to get to it. I tossed it and picked up a Injen short ram,

Its been pretty much proven that CAI such as these do ZERO for performance vs a short ram.

It just makes it necessary to jack up your car, take off the tire, dick around with the fender liner fasteners, pull it back, cut up your arm.. etc... everytime you need to check it.

shil
07-11-2012, 11:42 AM
I installed my MOPAR CAI yesterday. I like it.

Oliver
08-06-2012, 10:35 PM
I also just had mine installed today, yup, she pulls much better up the hills on the way home. peak power for me seems to be between 3-4,000 rpms. I didnt notice the increased engine noise some users have spoken of. Glad I did it!

Berliner
08-06-2012, 11:12 PM
I got a Injen in my 500c and i loved it from the 1st Moment........ The Car just got more kick and i love the Way it sounds ....... Install was very easy........ got it installed in about an Hour plus i love that it came in Chrome...........

Freedomland
12-28-2012, 03:06 PM
how do all these CAIs work with AutoTranny? Is there a difference?? I have a Pop AND a Sport.. and I do love the quietness of the cars. Would either the CAI or tbe Drop In really make a difference with an autotranny?

Abarth Phreak
12-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Make sure you pull and check that filter AT-LEAST at every oil change. My srt-4 acr came with a similar dealer installed Mopar CAI.
When I picked up the car and checked out the filter it was rotten from getting moisture on it and its a PITA to get to it. I tossed it and picked up a Injen short ram,

Its been pretty much proven that CAI such as these do ZERO for performance vs a short ram.

It just makes it necessary to jack up your car, take off the tire, dick around with the fender liner fasteners, pull it back, cut up your arm.. etc... everytime you need to check it.

Hey, by chance, what color is your ACR? I traded a modded one awhile back....just curious to see where it went. Had the Mopar set-up on it.

CNQCNTO
08-02-2017, 11:38 PM
I don't always dig up old threads, but when I do, it's because I just installed the Mopar CAI kit on my 2012 500 Sport last night. The change it made in my 500 is noticeable and it feels like a completely different car.

The increased power is great, but it's the throttle response and growl at higher RPMs that make me smile.

Tweak
08-03-2017, 01:27 PM
I don't always dig up old threads, but when I do, it's because I just installed the Mopar CAI kit on my 2012 500 Sport last night. The change it made in my 500 is noticeable and it feels like a completely different car.

The increased power is great, but it's the throttle response and growl at higher RPMs that make me smile.

I just like the way this post starts...haha.

Also nice that you enjoy the changes of course.