PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol v. Pure Gas

FiatPhil
11-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Will my gas mileage fall if I go from using 91 octane 'pure gas' to 91 octane 10% ethanol gas?

I've been using 'pure gas' since I got the car in September. 'Pure gas' service stations are getting farther and farther away from me as more service stations go to ethanol where I live in Oklahoma.

I am considering buying 10% ethanol 91 octane since I have a convenience store that sells 91 octane 10% ethanol right down the street. Should I expect my gas mileage to drop?

I am getting 30 mpg in 'urban downtown only' driving conditions. I guess if the mileage drops, at least the gas is cheaper with ethanol and is more convenient because I can get it nearby.

What do you folks think about me switching to ethanol gas (I call it corn/oil).

buzzny
11-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Hey Phil,
The county just north of where I live puts 10% ethanol in the gas during the winter season at ALL gas stations. The county which I reside just has it at some locations. For several years I have been buying 91 oct. north during winter with no noticeable performance difference *note: this was not done with the Fiat but turbo charged vehicles*. Now, Probably several people will argue this and that is certainly understandable. 1st, I drive around 5000' above sea level. This make a difference too. But still, this is a good argument for this forum! Have fun peps! See what you started Phil!

SeaDawg
11-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Will my gas mileage fall if I go from using 91 octane 'pure gas' to 91 octane 10% ethanol gas?

I am considering buying 10% ethanol 91 octane since I have a convenience store that sells 91 octane 10% ethanol right down the street. Should I expect my gas mileage to drop?

I am getting 30 mpg in 'urban downtown only' driving conditions. I guess if the mileage drops, at least the gas is cheaper with ethanol and is more convenient because I can get it nearby.

We used to call it Gasohol back in the late '70's early 80's in Georgia. I suspect you'll notice a small drop in mileage due to the amount of energy contained due to the addition of the ethanol. At least you still have the choice. Here in Florida the state mandated that ALL automotive gas sold here had to have up to 10% ethanol. The gas companies love it because they can use lower octane gas and raise the octane by adding the ethanol thereby increasing their margins.