PDA

View Full Version : Are you getting an Abarth?

Scorpion
11-21-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm 'first on the list' at my Studio, but haven't decided if I'm going to bite or not. It will depend on price, as well as a test drive.

How about you?

MrFiat
11-21-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm 'first on the list' at my Studio, but haven't decided if I'm going to bite or not. It will depend on price, as well as a test drive. How about you?

Dropped my dime at the CNY studio ages ago. First in line as well.. No question getting one, just if the first one has at least most of the "right" stuff. If not, I'll pass on the first one and order what I really want.

I love pizza
11-21-2011, 07:34 PM
To me the test drive is the key. It has to be close in driving excitement to the Mini Coupe S, I'm also curious about the rumored 200hp "kit" and if that will be a dealer installed option or only done at the factory, I'd hate to buy one with 160hp and find out a year later the 200hp version is coming. Patience is key for me. If this was 4 years ago, I let my passion do the spending, now in this rotten economy, my mind holds me back.

geeded
11-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Deposit has been down since March and yet I'm still only 2nd in line at our "Studio". I will be ordering it to my specs as soon as the Studio is allowed to order. I was expecting the Abarth to come in slightly less than the base of the MINI S but it looks like it's going to go for $24,500 (a good guess I think). I think they're overpricing it, but they haven't exactly set the world on fire with their marketing savvy so far, but we'll see.

Cheers

reventlow
11-21-2011, 08:39 PM
I am one of the first in line to order an Abarth at my local dealer and have put my deposit down.
Getting one for sure now that 160 bhp official.
Doesn't seem as though Giallo will be an option so a Rosso. Not sure when an order can be made.
Simple and light. Just the key please!

Dwaynek
11-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Going to depend on the price but ready to trade the sport!

Chris
11-21-2011, 09:37 PM
As much as I'd like to, probably not. Trying to plan starting a biz so no need to spend more right now... but stick is the other issue. There's just barely not enough leg room for me to comfortably manage the stick and the tiny pedals for a daily driver.

Max
11-21-2011, 10:00 PM
I will have to say no not at this time. Right now the big "C" for Cabrio is taking precedence over the "A" for ABARTH. Had a Cabrio version like the Euro "Abarth 500 Cabrio Italia" been announced then I'd already have a deposit down. If I don't end up canceling my 500C Lounge order next week due to a ridiculous delivery delay I'll keep it till the cabrio version hits the streets.

Max

luckymoi
11-21-2011, 11:25 PM
That blue cabrio italia does look fabulous. Red and Blue would look pretty nice in the garage...

Reaperman
11-22-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm on my studio's list, but I'm having a hard time justifying the expense against a Miata or Cooper S. If they'd just announce the price, I'd have a lot easier time deciding that it wasn't enough car for the money.

buzzny
11-22-2011, 08:38 PM
I would like to but I think I will wait until after the 1st 500 are sold! ;)

johnnyquest
11-23-2011, 12:09 AM
I want one...really, really bad. But like some others have mentioned I need to see the price and the EPA highway fuel economy numbers before I decide. I also fear that the Abarth will be too stiff a ride for the crappy roads here in the high desert of California.

grapefish
11-23-2011, 09:48 AM
2nd on the list at my dealer.

I'm also curious about the final price, they have to come in competitively against the other cars I'd consider, but to be honest at the same price point I'd still be leaning toward the Abarth.

It's just cooler. =)

Abarthlyness
11-23-2011, 11:41 AM
I want one really bady. Sadly, I decided that I need a car with more room, as the wife and I are trying to start a family.

So, with 5 years of baby seats in my future, I can't fathom a two door vehicle.

I'll needed something that's four door, turbo, 6-speed. So, what options did I have? An '08 Jetta GLI/Wolfsburg lol

I can still dream though, right? maybe some day :(

MrFiat
11-23-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm on my studio's list, but I'm having a hard time justifying the expense against a Miata or Cooper S. If they'd just announce the price, I'd have a lot easier time deciding that it wasn't enough car for the money.

Both the Mini and the Miata are fun cars to be sure, but in my opinion just not in the same way the Abarth is. I personally think of driving the Abarth in the same way as I do driving a Ferrari or a Maserati or a Lamborghini. I've driven all of them and I speak from some experience. The Abarth gives you the same "gut" feeling when you drive it. Of course, I'm speaking of my old one now, but knowing the brand and given the technology advances, I see no reason why the new one won't be even better. It's a pity I still can't afford a Ferrari but the Abarth is great affordable alternative to the other (and much higher price) Italian exotics. Even though the Mini and the Miata are great little cars, I can't think of them as being in that category. Drive an Abarth first chance you get and you'll see what I mean. It'll be worth the wait.

Thad
11-23-2011, 01:57 PM
It will totally depend on price. I fully expect them to overprice it. I'm not losing sleep thinking about it just yet.
I think the Pop base models are $1-2K higher than they should be and the Abarth shouldn't be more than $5k higher than a Sport, so $22.5K. Anything higher and I won't consider it.

-Thad

Reaperman
11-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Even though the Mini and the Miata are great little cars, I can't think of them as being in that category. Drive an Abarth first chance you get and you'll see what I mean. It'll be worth the wait.
I'm leaning toward pulling myself from the list (probably at as late a time as possible) and giving one an honest test drive before purchase. There are good reasons I'm still here, and I'd like to think that I'm not being too terribly 'trollish.' I really appreciate the 'image' an Abarth 500 would project, and I love that exhaust note, but then my brain kicks in to tell me that this car stands a fair chance of costing a bit more than it's worth.

Not announcing the price now may also be a technique to keep 'unsure' customers like me from looking for year-end deals elsewhere. Maybe that's the cynic in me talking. I wonder if they're going to be discounting the 500 sport since they've got such a stockpile of cars around.

500lvr
11-23-2011, 04:33 PM
I have a deposit down for the Gucci 500, but was seriously considering the Abarth until I heard that it will not have an option for Automatic Transmission. Considering the car will be driven by my wife as well along with a little 5 month old, automatic transmission is a must for us. Another factor obviously will also be the price of the car. I have my Gucci fully loaded with all the options (inc. Automatic Transmission) at 24,175+TTL (after $600 dealer discount). I really don't want to spend any more than this amount either so the Abarth would have to be priced really well for me to consider it with manual transmission. Also wondering when the dealers would actually have an Abarth available for a test drive??....cos that could be a game changer too!!

Scorpion
11-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Personally, if the MSRP is a penny over $25K, then I probably won't make the leap. I'm hoping that mention by this site's owner that it should come in under $25K is accurate.

I have a gut feeling we'll see it priced at $24,500. Although, $23,500 would be even better, and make me more apt to trade. :)

sjmst
11-23-2011, 05:14 PM
I want one but may hold off. I'd lose so much money on my Prima.

SeaDawg
11-23-2011, 05:28 PM
I want one but may hold off. I'd lose so much money on my Prima.

I think waiting a year will be a wise move in any case. It will give Fiat/Chrysler enough time to find bugs and exterminate them. I'm amazed at how blithely the majority here are ignoring all the little and big nits that have popped up since the 'regular' 500's went on sale.

sjmst
11-23-2011, 05:39 PM
I think waiting a year will be a wise move in any case. It will give Fiat/Chrysler enough time to find bugs and exterminate them. I'm amazed at how blithely the majority here are ignoring all the little and big nits that have popped up since the 'regular' 500's went on sale.

Wise; agreed.

Zonian22
11-23-2011, 08:45 PM
For me it all depends on price! If the base MSRP of the Abarth is too close to the base MSRP of a MINI Cooper S, I'd rather go with the MINI which comes with a 6-speed tranny, 21 more ponies and 7 more lb/ft of torque, and BMW backing the product among other advantages.

In summary, if the Abarth's MSRP is a penny over $22,800. I'm getting the Cooper S!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love the Abarth, but there comes a point where something isn't worth purchasing.

cmj912
11-23-2011, 09:07 PM
No, because I don't think I'd be able to afford to insure it. My insurance company hasn't figured out the luxury versions yet, thankfully, so maybe I will get one of the Gucci or Prada or Helmut Lang or whoever versions when I'm ready to trade mine for another.

Of course, if at that time they are offering something like the PandaCross...or more than one FIAT here? Then I wouldn't know what to do...

Felnus
11-23-2011, 11:39 PM
For me it all depends on price! If the base MSRP of the Abarth is too close to the base MSRP of a MINI Cooper S, I'd rather go with the MINI which comes with a 6-speed tranny, 21 more ponies and 7 more lb/ft of torque, and BMW backing the product among other advantages.

In summary, if the Abarth's MSRP is a penny over $22,800. I'm getting the Cooper S!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love the Abarth, but there comes a point where something isn't worth purchasing.

Interesting, you would only pay $22,800 for an Abarth, but a base Mini S is $1000 more than that without the uprated sound system(Bose 7 speaker system is standard in the Abarth) adding the Harmon/kardon system to the Mini will cost you $750. Want Bluetooth and smart phone integration? Abarth has that standard through Blue & Me and standard USB/Ipod jacks. Want that in the Mini S? That will be $1000 please. Want heated side view mirrors? Dandy in the winter. Standard on the Abarth but $500 on Mini S but hey they power fold on the Mini too so what's $500 right? So the similarly equipped Mini S is now a little over $26000 right? The base Abarth is looking good at even a $24,500 base price. Oh and I can't see Fiat charging any more for the convenience package on the Abarth than they do on the 500 so add automatic climate control, Sirius XM radio and an alarm system for $600 to the Abarth to bump it to $25,100. Want the same stuff on the Mini S? Add another $1000. So we're up to over $27,000 on the Mini S.

Yeah, you are right there does come a point when something isn't worth purchasing.

Keep in mind that no matter what Mini charges you, it still won't change the fact that the Abarth has 9.5 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats up and the Mini only has 5.7. Have fun trying to get a decent amount of groceries, or anything else back there. And keep in mind that the Abarth with all those features standard weighs over 130 pounds less than the Mini S, once you add all that stuff to the Mini S I'm sure that the difference will only increase so that should offset that extra 21 horsepower quite nicely. :-)

KhalilWilliams
11-24-2011, 03:08 AM
Personally, I had made my mind up that I am going to invest in either a 500 1.4 16v Pop/Sport model, but I have just recently added the 500 Abarth to my list of possible considerations for a first car, therefore extending the list up to 10+. At the rate the current automotive market is going, in the near future, I may have an extremely long list of cars that I may consider. Nonetheless, the FIAT 500 is staying right at the top of my list, because I just don't think that any other car will appeal to me in the exact same way that the 500 did. The only other cars that can have the exact same effects on me are also of the FIAT brand; particularly the Panda and the Punto.

blefevre
11-28-2011, 11:09 AM
I am also "first in line" at my studio. Deposit down, I can order my options, etc. It will come down to price for me as well. I get Chrysler employee discounts which works for the standard 500's and should for the Abarth so that could make a big difference for me. I hate this waiting game when I am ready to go buy a new GTI or WRX at any moment, but I am waiting to see the price on the Abarth.

Max
12-03-2011, 03:09 PM
I changed my mind. After waiting nearly three long months for my 500C (stories posted in the general discussion section) yesterday I changed my mind, canceled my 500C and ordered placed myself in line for the ABARTH. Thus the voting results are now off by one too many votes for "no" and one too few for "got my deposit now".

Max

luckymoi
12-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Max; you'really skipping cabrio and getting abarth coupe or abarth cabrio?

MrFiat
12-03-2011, 08:21 PM
For me it all depends on price! If the base MSRP of the Abarth is too close to the base MSRP of a MINI Cooper S, I'd rather go with the MINI which comes with a 6-speed tranny, 21 more ponies and 7 more lb/ft of torque, and BMW backing the product among other advantages. In summary, if the Abarth's MSRP is a penny over $22,800. I'm getting the Cooper S!!! Don't get me wrong, I love the Abarth, but there comes a point where something isn't worth purchasing.

Price not withstanding, in the end, it all boils down to what makes you happy. Porsche or Ferrari? Everybody wants one. Some prefer the German approach, some prefer the Italian. They're both exotics, they're both fast and expensive and they're both "good" in their own way. But they're also quite different from one another when you compare the driving experience each one offers. Same is true for the Mini and the Abarth. Which is "better" is a matter of perspective and expectations. The real question is, what's better for YOU.

Some are concerned that the price of the Abarth will be too high. My feeling is the price of the Abarth will be delightfully low compared to all the other Italian exotics. Apples and Oranges, you say? Ferrari doesn't think so. They use the Tributo Abarth as loaners for their High Bucks Ferrari clients and so far, all I've heard are Rave reviews. Not bad coming from people who are willing to drop a hundred and eighty grand on an automobile, eh?

All that aside, here's the point. Do some real soul searching and of all your choices, find the car that comes closest to your "IDEAL". Don't choose based on price alone. That has regret written all over it. The 2-3 grand everyone seems so upset about only translates into an extra $10-$15/month. That's not a lot IF you're truly happy with the car. You'll know if you made the right choice by how happy you feel , right about the third or fourth time you have to make that monthly payment. Choose wisely.

Ooops, just noticed you're new to the forum.. Welcome aboard, and pardon the air between my ears. I think you'll find it fun here.

Max
12-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Max; you'really skipping cabrio and getting abarth coupe or abarth cabrio?

I'm going for the ABARTH Coupe. If both were available I'd certainly go for the Cabrio but my Studio suggests the ABARTH 500C won't come till 2013. I waited up until yesterday for the 500C Lounge and gave finally up on it. I certainly want a Cabrio since I now live in Miami Florida... I'm getting my hands on a fully restored 77 FJ40 with both soft top and hard top if all goes well so I'll have my convertible...and ABARTH too...

Max

FiatPhil
12-04-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm going for the ABARTH Coupe. If both were available I'd certainly go for the Cabrio but my Studio suggests the ABARTH 500C won't come till 2013. I waited up until yesterday for the 500C Lounge and gave finally up on it. I certainly want a Cabrio since I now live in Miami Florida... I'm getting my hands on a fully restored 77 FJ40 with both soft top and hard top if all goes well so I'll have my convertible...and ABARTH too...

Max

What drama.

Max
12-04-2011, 03:06 PM
What drama.

I see your still looking to contribute to this forums growth with constructive knowledge and opinions.

FiatPhil
12-05-2011, 11:52 AM
I defer automatically to your superior constructive knowledge and opinions, sir.

VTEC Mini
12-06-2011, 04:06 PM
I had a MINI Coopers S and it was crap- so that's out the window. I am waiting to see price, test drive, to see if the half baked Fiat dealer in my town opens up, reliability reports, make sure Fiat is going to be around, and to pay down my CR-Z some. I am thinking maybe in a couple of years. I do not want a regular 500 because of it's low HP and my CR-Z has plenty of that and I am done with always having to floor it.

illogicalewine
12-08-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm planning on buying them as they get in the lot, but I'm actually a bit confused; because I had seen a trailer carrying a bunch of them towards Los Angeles. (I live in Southern California obviously;) and so I rang up my local dealership to see if they had already come in; but they haven't. They said they were expecting them in around February to march it seems. :T This is very displeasing as I wanted to hopefully wrap my hands around this car by the end of the year.

cmj912
12-09-2011, 10:45 AM
They haven't even announced the pricing, so I don't think they'd be available by the end of 2011. No.

VTEC Mini
12-10-2011, 02:15 AM
Swung by my half baked dealer today- they went from 3 Fiats to about 18. There where is 1 blue sport, 2- pink ribbons, 1- convertible and the rest where Pops of various colors and transmission combo's. Still no one was there. I found out on Face book it will be open in two to three weeks. I did notice on the Pink Ribbon they want a $2400 dollar mark up................. Ah no. I don't care what kind of car it is I would not/ will not pay mark up on any car. This made me think they will try the same thing once the Abarth comes out.

Felnus
12-10-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm planning on buying them as they get in the lot, but I'm actually a bit confused; because I had seen a trailer carrying a bunch of them towards Los Angeles. (I live in Southern California obviously;) and so I rang up my local dealership to see if they had already come in; but they haven't. They said they were expecting them in around February to march it seems. :T This is very displeasing as I wanted to hopefully wrap my hands around this car by the end of the year.

What you saw was proabably either the Abarths used at the Los Angeles auto show or a another batch of pre-production cars being taken somewhere for testing, either by Fiat or other third parties such as TV shows, magazines etc.

VTEC Mini
12-10-2011, 08:03 PM
I just talked to my Fiat dealer after leaving a message a week and a half ago. Apparently they just figured out how to get messages off the phone...... Thats what he told me, no lie.

Anyway, He was telling me how they are open now but their official grand opening is on the 1st. He started to tell me about their inventory and that I could come down and check them out and possibly drive one home today. I told him the only one I am interested in is the Abarth. The phone went silent then he said those are going to be difficult to get in California.

I asked why.

He told me there is only a few dealers in So Cal and in order to get an Abarth a dealership must sell a certain number of units before any dealer can qualify a customer to be put on the waiting list.

Given Fiat sales, that can be a very long time.

I think this is a very bad stradegy for Fiat. Except for a few die hards nobody is going to wait that long with what compition is out there. He told me also that the Abarth should be out in May.

He tried pushing the one Sport they do have and I have seen it and it is a stick. I think I will drive it just to check the throw of the stick and see how it feels but it will be Abarth or nothing.

illogicalewine
12-12-2011, 04:54 AM
I think your dealership is full of **** and just trying to make a quick buck off of you. My dealership has heard none of that nonsense, and honestly that would be the dumbest sales strategy in the world. Could you imagine if BMW dealers had to sell a certain amount of 3 series units before they can sell an m3? LOL Call that dealership back and tell them to get their **** together quick. From what I was told at my dealership (Fiat of Ontario) They had said they've got a bunch on the way as their waitlist is getting pretty fat. There is a demand for them and so they shall be supplied.

VTEC Mini
12-12-2011, 12:30 PM
I think your dealership is full of **** and just trying to make a quick buck off of you. My dealership has heard none of that nonsense, and honestly that would be the dumbest sales strategy in the world. Could you imagine if BMW dealers had to sell a certain amount of 3 series units before they can sell an m3? LOL Call that dealership back and tell them to get their **** together quick. From what I was told at my dealership (Fiat of Ontario) They had said they've got a bunch on the way as their waitlist is getting pretty fat. There is a demand for them and so they shall be supplied.I always take what dealers say with a grain of salt. I do know this; there is only going to be a limited number of Abarths per year per dealership- that is from Fiat themselves. So once the dealer fills their quota than thats it until next year.

blefevre
12-12-2011, 12:32 PM
I always take what dealers say with a grain of salt. I do know this; there is only going to be a limited number of Abarths per year per dealership- that is from Fiat themselves. So once the dealer fills their quota than thats it until next year.

Interesting. I wonder if that will hold true and what the yearly total quantity is.

SeaDawg
12-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Interesting. I wonder if that will hold true and what the yearly total quantity is.

I doubt it. Regular 500 sales will plummet when the Abarth goes on sale (or depending on perspective, never pick up). So you have a fixed number of the Abarths available and when they're gone no one buys anything. I think that's a pretty untenable position.

VTEC Mini
12-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Interesting. I wonder if that will hold true and what the yearly total quantity is.I don't know- She didn't say. I just think Fiat right now can't afford to be "cute" when it comes to sales like limited this or that, mark ups, playing hard ball, or push for extra garbage during the sell.

peterh
02-28-2012, 12:32 AM
I got on the list at Riverside (Walter's fiat) after the Bakersfield team seemed a little liberal with bending the truth. I asked about getting on the list to purchase an Abarth and they told me I had to do it "today or tomorrow" then I asked where the dealership was and was told "We're open now but we're all in training tomorrow, but I can meet you at the Chrysler dealership and drive you over". I called the Chrysler dealership and they told me they weren't open till next month.
I won't deal with that.

-Peter-

I just talked to my Fiat dealer after leaving a message a week and a half ago. Apparently they just figured out how to get messages off the phone...... Thats what he told me, no lie.

Anyway, He was telling me how they are open now but their official grand opening is on the 1st. He started to tell me about their inventory and that I could come down and check them out and possibly drive one home today. I told him the only one I am interested in is the Abarth. The phone went silent then he said those are going to be difficult to get in California.

I asked why.

He told me there is only a few dealers in So Cal and in order to get an Abarth a dealership must sell a certain number of units before any dealer can qualify a customer to be put on the waiting list.

Given Fiat sales, that can be a very long time.

I think this is a very bad stradegy for Fiat. Except for a few die hards nobody is going to wait that long with what compition is out there. He told me also that the Abarth should be out in May.

He tried pushing the one Sport they do have and I have seen it and it is a stick. I think I will drive it just to check the throw of the stick and see how it feels but it will be Abarth or nothing.

Have Trumpet Will Travel
02-28-2012, 02:49 AM
Maybe dealerships are different today, when my dad owned 51% of a BMW dealership in the early '70's (YES, 40 years ago), we had to sell ten BMW 2002 sedans for every 2800CS they would ship for inventory. He and I flew to New Jersey and met "Max" Hoffman personally to negotiate and although we sold a bunch of 1600 and 2002's, we waited a year to get the first Silver 2800CS which sat inside the building, was TOO pricey for a small industrialized town, finally sold it when a couple from Charlottesville (U.VA - ville) decided they had to have it. (This was the-one-that-got-away, tried to buy it back later). BTW, Maxmillian Hoffman brought VW to the U.S., along with a few other brands, it was an absolute pleasure to have met him personally, sit in his office and all as a late-teenager. He had a few vintage cars and the then-new 2800CS inside his office, I was drooling . . . BTW, the 2800CS was the forerunner of the 3.0 CS which is probably better remembered by most. I still have product literature from that period (at least I've got pictures/specs). H.T.W.T.

VTEC Mini
02-28-2012, 09:56 AM
I got on the list at Riverside (Walter's fiat) after the Bakersfield team seemed a little liberal with bending the truth. I asked about getting on the list to purchase an Abarth and they told me I had to do it "today or tomorrow" then I asked where the dealership was and was told "We're open now but we're all in training tomorrow, but I can meet you at the Chrysler dealership and drive you over". I called the Chrysler dealership and they told me they weren't open till next month.
I won't deal with that.

-Peter-

Yeah after talking with them a couple of times and how they kept changing their stories, I am done with them. They blew it. Do you live in Bakersfield?

wachuko
02-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Yeah after talking with them a couple of times and how they kept changing their stories, I am done with them. They blew it. Do you live in Bakersfield?

I think it is just their way, under the lack of information from FIAT or the time it has taken to get the car on the showroom floor, to try to retain a customer... but they don't realize that what they are really doing is screwing up their chances... Just like some dealers saying that it is a limited edition... it is not. They cars might be scarce at first, but only until productions picks up. But they try to sell you on the "Limited" to try to get you to hurry up and place the deposit. I get it, it is a sales strategy... but they are better off just playing it right with customers.

And yes, I was one that fell into that... deposit placed on Feb 18.

I was trying to decide between a Mini or a FIAT... at the time I had not driven a FIAT 500... one test drive on a Sport model was all it took... if the Abarth is even better, I am going to be one happy camper.

When the demo car arrives I will take a longggggg drive... taking my video camera with me as well. I want to record the drive, woooohoooo!!

the stig
02-28-2012, 12:02 PM
I'm 'first on the list' at my Studio, but haven't decided if I'm going to bite or not. It will depend on price, as well as a test drive.

How about you?

I'm #12 on the local list but also waiting for a test drive to make a final decision. The price will be OK as far as I'm concerned, sticker +$0. If it rides like a truck I'm sticking with the sport. I do really want an Abarth but I'm not going to buy a car that beats me up every day on the way to work.

the stig
02-28-2012, 12:12 PM
I doubt it. Regular 500 sales will plummet when the Abarth goes on sale (or depending on perspective, never pick up). So you have a fixed number of the Abarths available and when they're gone no one buys anything. I think that's a pretty untenable position.

The Abarth will do Fiat a lot of good. The Abarth being available in euorpe didn't kill Fiat 500 sales at all.The Abarth will get more people into the dealerships and thats a good thing. The people who only have enough money to buy a pop will still buy a pop. The people who want comfort will still buy a lounge. It's the sport people who will have a decision to make and not all of them will have the extra $$$. My local dealer can't wait to get the Abarth demo,their opinion is it will be a big boost to sales.

sjmst
02-28-2012, 01:02 PM
I really want one but am having second thoughts. I have a 500 Prima which will have close to 30,000 miles soon. So, I will be lucky to get enough for it to pay off the loan.

For 25K, here are some of the (used) cars with low miles I like that I can get:

BMW e46 or even an e90
BMW 5 series, e60
Porsche Boxster
BMW Z4.

Just to name a few.

Gotta see how te Abarth drives. If it's killer I will have an easier decision.

VTEC Mini
02-28-2012, 01:36 PM
I think it is just their way, under the lack of information from FIAT or the time it has taken to get the car on the showroom floor, to try to retain a customer... but they don't realize that what they are really doing is screwing up their chances... Just like some dealers saying that it is a limited edition... it is not. They cars might be scarce at first, but only until productions picks up. But they try to sell you on the "Limited" to try to get you to hurry up and place the deposit. I get it, it is a sales strategy... but they are better off just playing it right with customers.

And yes, I was one that fell into that... deposit placed on Feb 18.

I was trying to decide between a Mini or a FIAT... at the time I had not driven a FIAT 500... one test drive on a Sport model was all it took... if the Abarth is even better, I am going to be one happy camper.

When the demo car arrives I will take a longggggg drive... taking my video camera with me as well. I want to record the drive, woooohoooo!!When I did go to the lot the sales guy came out and before he could speak I told him I was only interested in the Abarth. He started to talk about how when their demo arrives they where going to put a steep mark up on it and design a coarse around town for test drives so people can experience the wrath of the Abarth and I need to put my name on the list- so I did. Then I took a Sport on a test run. He then tried to sell the Sport to me (red flag for me) and once again I reminded him I am not interested in anything but the Abarth and I left. A couple of weeks latter he sent an Email to "check in" and I replied back if the Abarth was in to test drive ( I knew it wasn't ). He said they where not going to let people test drive the car. I told him "Thank you but I will not buy a car that I can't test drive and I will find a dealer elsewhere that will."

There's other things here and there to add to it but that was the main one.

I don't play games with these guys. You give them an inch and they will take a mile.

I think you did the right thing with the Fiat vs. MINI. As a former MINI owner and member and officer of one of the largest MINI/ Mini clubs on the left coast MINI's are great performers and are either really good or really bad and you play Russian Ru let when you buy one.

sjmst
02-28-2012, 01:45 PM
VTEC Mini, he sounds like the kind of dealer that gives them all a bad name.

VTEC Mini
02-28-2012, 02:02 PM
VTEC Mini, he sounds like the kind of dealer that gives them all a bad name.

I agree with you. My biggest pet peeve of all is mark up. I have left many salesman cold in the middle of a lot while they tried to justify it.

sjmst
02-28-2012, 02:05 PM
I agree with you. My biggest pet peeve of all is mark up. I have left many salesman cold in the middle of a lot while they tried to justify it.

I'd love an Abarth, but I am on the fence and a markup will be the kiss of death.

VTEC Mini
02-28-2012, 02:15 PM
I'd love an Abarth, but I am on the fence and a markup will be the kiss of death.

For me too or any car for that matter. To me that is money you might as well flush down the drain. Buying a new car is always a money loser with depreciation so why add to your loss? That is money that could be used else where for the car such as seat covers, exhaust, intakes, rims and tires, etc. I understand dealers need to make money- every company does, but there is a difference between making money and greed- just my opinion.

There is always a dealer out there that will sell at MSRP at least.

wachuko
02-28-2012, 02:16 PM

I already discussed this with my dealer... best to be open and direct... will not accept any B.S. like that...

geeded
02-28-2012, 06:00 PM
The Abarth being available in euorpe didn't kill Fiat 500 sales at all.The Abarth will get more people into the dealerships and thats a good thing. The people who only have enough money to buy a pop will still buy a pop. The people who want comfort will still buy a lounge. It's the sport people who will have a decision to make and not all of them will have the extra $$$.

The peculiar thing is that in Europe the Abarth is not sold as a FIAT, even though everyone knows it is one. The Abarth dealers are separate marque and you can't even get your Abarth worked on at a FIAT dealer.

Most of the people on the forums just shrug and laugh but there is vociferous minority (seem to mostly be in England) who will die rather than admit that the 500 Abarth is just another 500 model. Go figure. I'll just enjoy my Abarth if it ever appears.

Cheers

Rally555
02-28-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm waiting for the Abarth too. My wife & I drove a 500 sport manual this weekend & was not impressed. The ride was fine but even in sport mode I felt it was way too bouncy. I'm hoping the Abarth with the suspension changes will be tighter. I will absolutely not pay sticker. I'll just wait until the hype dies down if there is any hype. Plus I want to make sure if there are any issues they get all the little bugs worked out. Currently I drive an 08 Evo X, but I sure like the look of the Fiat. I would like to get something small & sporty that is fun to drive. I want that WOW factor. Just my 2 cents. And the way they are talking the Abarth will not be out until May, might as well wait for the 2013 model.

rickpike
03-05-2012, 05:31 PM
I am happy to say that i just put my money down on an ABARTH, and the official order goes in on Wednesday. Went with Gray with Red ABARTH stripes and Red mirror caps, with the gun metal 17". Very excited.

Leotxn
03-11-2012, 10:59 AM
I just made my deposit with my local dealership for June delivery. Grigio, black strip/mirror, sunroof, conv. package, 16", cloth. I am really excited!

cspak71
03-22-2012, 01:43 AM
Hey all, just joined the forum... my Abarth is scheduled to be built on the 26th, and delivered a few weeks later. Looking forward to it.

Fix it again Tony
03-22-2012, 02:14 AM
Wow, I would never, ever buy a car without driving it first! I can't believe all of the hype with this rig....good luck to all of you fine folks in Abarth land....

cspak71
03-22-2012, 04:38 AM
Wow, I would never, ever buy a car without driving it first! I can't believe all of the hype with this rig....good luck to all of you fine folks in Abarth land....

Well, considering the potential low quantities of this vehicle initially, the need for me to get a car soon (skip the hassle of purchasing a different car now only to want this one months later), and assuming that the Abarth would just be an improvement in the already fun base 500 I figured it was a fairly safe bet. True, I haven't driven the Abarth specifically, but I'm also going to give a little credibility to the reviews I've read as well.

I guess ultimately, if you didn't like the Fiat 500 for any other reason than power, the Abarth won't be any better. But if all else being equal, the 500 suited you, the Abarth should be that much better.

nyc eng
03-22-2012, 09:52 AM

I'm still a little perplexed by what I did. But not in a bad way, just a haha funny like a clown way. My wife was surprised I didn't even test drive a 500 before I traded in my Trailblazer SS and placed an order. I blame Catrinel Menghia for this, I saw that damm commercial and started thinking I need that car before I even realized which car the commercial was for. I NEVER paid MSRP but then again I never bought a car before it even hit showroom floors.

The design comes from Italy, the car has racing heritage, its low 20's, geared towards the crowd looking for something sporty, lightweight, 4cylinder turbo engine, city friendly and Jay Leno loves his less powerful version. For me it was a Smart or Mini and the Abarth just edges them both out.

speeddemon
03-22-2012, 10:30 PM
This will be my next car, that I know for sure. But, I won't be sold on it until I drive one. And then there's the question of availability; I don't expect any significant quantities until summer.

I don't expect to be able to pull this off unless there's really good financing and special offers in addition to my trade.

Fix it again Tony
03-24-2012, 01:42 AM
I'm still a little perplexed by what I did. But not in a bad way, just a haha funny like a clown way. My wife was surprised I didn't even test drive a 500 before I traded in my Trailblazer SS and placed an order. I blame Catrinel Menghia for this, I saw that damm commercial and started thinking I need that car before I even realized which car the commercial was for. I NEVER paid MSRP but then again I never bought a car before it even hit showroom floors.

The design comes from Italy, the car has racing heritage, its low 20's, geared towards the crowd looking for something sporty, lightweight, 4cylinder turbo engine, city friendly and Jay Leno loves his less powerful version. For me it was a Smart or Mini and the Abarth just edges them both out.

All good points, for sure. I considered these aspects as well, and then bought a Sport for $19,000. I loved driving this car, and I didn't want to wait for the Abarth. This in no way diminishes my interest in the Abarth, it simply lets me enjoy the 500, bide my time, and wait until Abarths are abundant. Or more accurately, when they actually become available at all. I have seen this before with the Shelby Mustang and the Jeep Rubicon, to name a few. The Shelby I passed on, the Rubicon I went for. But hey, if you have the hots for it and have the bucks in your pocket, go for it! But remember the nature of the beast: there will probably be a better model out the following year.

Fiat500USA
03-24-2012, 02:46 AM

A lot of us here bought Prima Ediziones, so we're used to not driving our new cars! LOL

I'd say if you like your 500, but want something more hard core, you won't be disappointed. The only trade off I could see, other than probably not being able to hit 50mpg, is it is louder than the regular 500 and the rear visibility with the one piece seatback takes some getting used to.

When I drove it back from the racetrack, the Fiat exec I was with was on the phone, so I took it easy and just drove like I was commuting (at 80mph!). It was comfortable and pretty much like the Prima I have. For me, I think the seats in the Abarth are more comfortable than the Sport seats as the under thigh support is less noticeable. The first time I drove a Sport, I had to try to adjust the seat because the thigh support was a little too much for me. For the Abarth, I just jumped in and didn't think about it after the initial adjustment.

I like the ride and handling of the Prima, but cruising on the highway, the Abarth felt more planted and solid, which makes sense with the need to control the power, etc. The Abarth also understeers less than the 500, so that builds confidence when pushing things.

Then there is the power, which is there whenever you want. The boost gauge seems to pin (18psi) whenever you tickle the pedal. It seems to come into its own at 4,000 rpm and you'll be long gone from a stop light before you shift out of second gear.

nyc eng
03-24-2012, 11:42 AM
A lot of us here bought Prima Ediziones, so we're used to not driving our new cars! LOL

I'd say if you like your 500, but want something more hard core, you won't be disappointed. The only trade off I could see, other than probably not being able to hit 50mpg, is it is louder than the regular 500 and the rear visibility with the one piece seatback takes some getting used to.

When I drove it back from the racetrack, the Fiat exec I was with was on the phone, so I took it easy and just drove like I was commuting (at 80mph!). It was comfortable and pretty much like the Prima I have. For me, I think the seats in the Abarth are more comfortable than the Sport seats as the under thigh support is less noticeable. The first time I drove a Sport, I had to try to adjust the seat because the thigh support was a little too much for me. For the Abarth, I just jumped in and didn't think about it after the initial adjustment.

I like the ride and handling of the Prima, but cruising on the highway, the Abarth felt more planted and solid, which makes sense with the need to control the power, etc. The Abarth also understeers less than the 500, so that builds confidence when pushing things.

Then there is the power, which is there whenever you want. The boost gauge seems to pin (18psi) whenever you tickle the pedal. It seems to come into its own at 4,000 rpm and you'll be long gone from a stop light before you shift out of second gear.

Did they reduce the amount of sound deadening material?

Is the Abarth heavier than the regular 500?

Fiat500USA
03-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Did they reduce the amount of sound deadening material?

Is the Abarth heavier than the regular 500?

The Abarth is 183 lbs heavier. It is only louder because of the exhaust. It is muted on cruise. Go to my review here (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/03/2012-fiat-500-abarth-review.html)and watch the video. You can hear the exhaust sound there.

nyc eng
03-24-2012, 03:28 PM
The Abarth is 183 lbs heavier. It is only louder because of the exhaust. It is muted on cruise. Go to my review here (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/03/2012-fiat-500-abarth-review.html)and watch he video. You can hear the exhaust sound there.

So what exactly is the additional weight from? Turbo, beefed up transmissions, axles..etc?

VTEC Mini
03-24-2012, 05:09 PM
So what exactly is the additional weight from? Turbo, beefed up transmissions, axles..etc?

I imagine it is the turbo, intercoolers, plumbing, body fairings, the plusher seats, heavier spring perches, bigger brakes and stuff like that. It all adds up.

Fiat500USA
03-24-2012, 06:26 PM
I imagine it is the turbo, intercoolers, plumbing, body fairings, the plusher seats, heavier spring perches, bigger brakes and stuff like that. It all adds up.
Yep, plus the reinforced subframe and cast dutile iron control arms.

Rubescent
03-24-2012, 06:26 PM
First post, but been lurking for awhile, so hi :)

Planning to put down cash on an Abarth in 2 weeks, so according to the dealer, the missus and I should have our Abarth this fall.

Fortunately, our local studio will have their tester Abarth in about the 2nd week of April, so should be able to drive before ponying up our deposit. :D That said, I don't blame the people who are pre-ordering Abarths based on their experience with the regular 500. It's a fun car normally, so bolting on extra horsepower should only make it more so!

Plus, that exhaust sound... Mmm.

sjmst
04-21-2012, 08:27 AM
OK, my son, Mike, sells these at FIAT of Westbury. Their test car came in and I'm going to drive it today. I may plunck down a deposit. He wants to buy my Prima then I get the Abarth.
Now, Mike drives 500's all week, yet he is going nuts for the Abarth. He says it may be the best value in a car he's ever seen (and he was a valet and parked...and drove :devilish:...the best of them). Just plain fun as hell.
I have 30,000 miles behind the wheel of a 500, so I will share my thoughts as to how the Abarth compares to a standard 500 shortly.

Abarth67
04-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Welcome to the Abarth club.

wachuko
04-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Ooooohhh are you in for a nice surprise!! LOL, have fun!

OK, my son, Mike, sells these at FIAT of Westbury. Their test car came in and I'm going to drive it today. I may plunck down a deposit. He wants to buy my Prima then I get the Abarth.
Now, Mike drives 500's all week, yet he is going nuts for the Abarth. He says it may be the best value in a car he's ever seen (and he was a valet and parked...and drove :devilish:...the best of them). Just plain fun as hell.
I have 30,000 miles behind the wheel of a 500, so I will share my thoughts as to how the Abarth compares to a standard 500 shortly.

RoosterX19
04-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Took possesion...

today!

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/579/dscn0393vx.jpg
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/874/dscn0392d.jpg
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/2831/0421121757.jpg

The exhaust sounds JUST like the bumble bee. Just got home, but the first impression is that it handles like a racer. And OMG, the turbo is awesome! They (Fiat USA) did good.

EliRider
04-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Awesome Picts! Congrats again

ewflyer
04-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Your last picture has helped me to relax a bit about my soon-to-be-delivered Abarth. The pic shows that the front liscense plate mount doesn't ruin the look of the car's front end. Of course I'd prefer nothing on the car's front end but the state of Washington doesn't care what I think.

b56.1m6
04-26-2012, 10:17 AM
I am dying here. I drove Westbury's Abarth Tuesday night and it didn't make my decision any easier. I have that big blue Challenger as my avatar and in my garage. I cant have both the Challenger and an Abarth just cant do it, even considered selling my daily driver and using an Abarth there but I dont have the heart to put 500 miles a week on it. Oh decisions decisions what to do?

VTEC Mini
04-26-2012, 11:45 AM
I am dying here. I drove Westbury's Abarth Tuesday night and it didn't make my decision any easier. I have that big blue Challenger as my avatar and in my garage. I cant have both the Challenger and an Abarth just cant do it, even considered selling my daily driver and using an Abarth there but I dont have the heart to put 500 miles a week on it. Oh decisions decisions what to do?

I am in the same boat with my commute. 500 miles easy in a week but what is the purpose of having a car if not to drive it? My concern is if it would be able to handle it and thats why I am waiting.

b56.1m6
04-27-2012, 08:39 AM
I am in the same boat with my commute. 500 miles easy in a week but what is the purpose of having a car if not to drive it? My concern is if it would be able to handle it and thats why I am waiting.

1/2 my commute is straight highway 65 mph limit so the car would do fine there but the other half can be stop and go sometimes for hours. i cant do that to the car or me for that matter.

johniew398
05-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Mine is in Illinois right now on the train and is supposed to be delivered on the 14th (next Tuesday). I just decided two weeks ago that I wanted one and
a buyer had backed out so I got to take his order since the car was spec'd out like I wanted it, except he had ordered the sunroof which I wouldn't have ordered.

Fige
07-08-2012, 09:21 PM
First post here, Just got a vin and delivery date of the 7-17, cant wait!....my first Italian in too many years.

djhace
08-06-2012, 08:06 PM
drove one last friday and also an other the next day. still awesome. but then, i driven the sport before and happy with that. so an extra turbo boost, just make you smile to the max. :-)

Onyx13Abarth
08-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Voted "I haven't decided yet" but I am seriously thinking about a 2013 Nero Abarth... :eagerness:

I drove a 12 Abarth a few weeks ago..awesome awesome car...
Reminds me of the original crx si and early rabbit gti, but with much more power

Been keeping an eye on Slobarth's build thread....very good information! Glad to see the aftermarket is strong..

Onyx13Abarth
08-12-2012, 06:00 PM
update - just ordered a 13 yesterday...should be arriving October...very very happy

Thomas
08-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Congrats on your decision. You wont regret it. I have had mine for a couple of months now, and I am liking the car more now than the day I got it. Hang in there.

QUOTE=onyx02ss;568495]update - just ordered a 13 yesterday...should be arriving October...very very happy[/QUOTE]

sashkraft
08-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Hey there, ordered mine this Saturday! Should also arrive October hopefully... White, red stripes, 16'' wheels

Robert Nixon
08-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Ordered in June right about when they closed 2012 orders, so looks like I'm waiting on a 2013. Only word from Fiat is that they confirmed the order, delivery in 4th quarter of the year.

Onyx13Abarth
08-21-2012, 07:19 AM
Thank you Thomas.
I have been seeing more 500's around, but only one abarth.

Best of luck guys....
Only a few more days left of august...getting closer!

Sash: I was kicking around white/red really nice combo!

MRabRth
08-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Submitted my order this past Sunday and it was officially entered into the system today! :eagerness: Was told a 3-4 month wait.

djhace
08-29-2012, 07:34 PM
update: last week, i ordered a 2013 abarth, white, black leather seats, red mirror caps, 17" white wheels, with handsome driver. oh wait. that's me. alright!

b56.1m6
12-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Decision made 12-18-12, I bought me an Abarth. I love this evil little car with its growl, attitude and sport button!

wilbmeister
12-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Just ordered mine today. Red w/black stripes, black leather seats, sunroof, comfort/convenience pkg and 17" black wheels. Looks like mid February before it gets here.

Abarth619
05-20-2013, 12:10 PM
I'm new here and plan on buying a Abarth in July. I've test driven one three times so far and I love it. I can't wait!

Fiat500USA
05-20-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm new here and plan on buying a Abarth in July. I've test driven one three times so far and I love it. I can't wait!

Welcome to the forum!

Tweak
05-20-2013, 09:27 PM

Pre-congrats on the Abarth to be, also welcome to the forum!

Scot Piza
05-20-2013, 09:28 PM
I plan on buying one this summer! I'm set on white with the black stripe/mirrors and red leather interior.

Scot Piza
05-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Update! Today we ordered our Abarth. Now the wait begins...

Tweak
05-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Update! Today we ordered our Abarth. Now the wait begins...

Congrats! Spending time here will help till it arrives. :D

ReconTopher
05-25-2013, 07:04 PM
I just bought my '13 Abarth Cabrio Grigio today! 6395

Scot Piza
05-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Congrats! I'm jealous on two accounts. I wanted a Cabrio but couldn't afford it, and I have to wait at least a month for mine to be delivered.

Tweak
05-25-2013, 10:37 PM
I just bought my '13 Abarth Cabrio Grigio today! 6395

Congrats! You bought the best color possible too! :cool:

div2
05-27-2013, 01:29 AM
Sad to say, my practical side has one out; I decided to drive the wretched Mazda until I can take early retirement(@18 months)- at which point I'll gladly sell/trade it. The Abarth is a very nice car, but I like not having any car payments even more. Enjoy your cars ladies and gentlemen!

dklug1
06-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Just got my mine yesterday. (first post) I have been on here lurking in the background reading every post. I finally got my chance to buy a pre-owner 2012 Abarth and I jumped. I got a fair deal on it due to the high mileage. Not sure how the previous owner did it but he/she managed to rack up over 36k on it. I am suffering the usual side skirt separation as well as my front chrome piece where the Abarth logo is located has popped lose. I had to travel a 3.5 hour road trip (each way) to get the car which is a little silly since I have a Fiat dealer about 4 miles from my house, but these guys offered me a good deal as well as financing. I stopped by the dealership today to set up a time for them to look into the side panels and chrome piece issue. So far my wife and I really love the car. Nero, 17" wheels, sunroof.

dklug1
06-03-2013, 10:23 PM
We bought ours on May 31 from a Chrysler dealership it's a pre-owned 2012 nero with red striped and red mirror caps. It has the infameous side skirt seperation and also the front Abarth emblem is coming off. Went to the dealer here in town to see if they would fix it. He took some photos to send off to see if they wanted to fix it.

Guitarzan
06-08-2013, 10:17 AM
I'd really like to! I'm hoping by the end of July I'll have a decent down payment. Local dealer has had two white Abarths with red leather for a while now, so hoping they stick around just a few weeks more! Currenty driving a '98 Impreza and a '00 SV650.

Chico Valdez
06-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Seriously looking at dropping a offer next month at a local dealer who has one that they can't seem to move.
The closer to the '14s coming in the more this thing looks like a albatross on the lot. Gonna low-ball it and see what happens.
Was thinking of removing all the Abarth call-outs, but it seems that few know what they are anyway, so might as well leave 'em!
How many Scorpions does the little car need?
I'm a big fan of 'de-badging'...

Pancetta
07-26-2013, 11:00 PM
I test drove a Abarth and loved it. Now I have to convince "The Boss" aka my wife to buy one.
I'm working on it. Rome was not built in a day.
Open to any suggestions on how to expedite my purchase.

Jono
07-26-2013, 11:14 PM
I just took my wife out in it...........she was sold :hypnotysed:

Pancetta
07-26-2013, 11:35 PM
Well, she did take a Abarth for a test drive. But, it was a quick one in Berkeley city traffic.
Definitely not pushing it enough to have fun. I am trying to enlist the help of my 5 year old son.
He is a "real car guy"!

Jeepnut
07-27-2013, 08:47 PM
I got off work the other day and decided to stop at the local Fiat studio. I saw a 500C Abarth Rosso with the white stripes and wheels and I fell in love. IMHO might be the sexiest car around. That being said Hendrick Fiat in Charleston is worthless. They charge a $995 buck admin fee amoung other fees totaling almost 3k above msrp. I wasnt offered a test drive or anything. There were several people in the studio who were sitting on thier collective butts yet they had to go next door to the Chrysler dealer to get the Fiat specialist? What the heck why was he not in his own showroom? The other problem is that there are 0 Fiats streetside they have used cars in front of the Fiat studio. I had literally driven by the studio every day for a week and didnt see it because of this. If I do buy one it will be from another studio!

ABARTH TAMER
08-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Tell her about the 0% financing for 3Yrs.