PDA

View Full Version : Any advice? Gap under radio?

vak9girl
11-20-2011, 10:27 AM
I have a gap under my radio and its driving me nuts. Anyone have this issue and know how to fix it? Do I have to do something to the dash or is this just how I have to live? Thanks!

sjmst
11-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Can you post a pic? There is a very slight gap that is normal.

Fiat500USA
11-20-2011, 10:34 AM
I have a gap under my radio and its driving me nuts. Anyone have this issue and know how to fix it? Do I have to do something to the dash or is this just how I have to live? Thanks!

Have the dealer fix it when you go in for your free oil change. Just make sure you tell them when you make your appointment.

Dwaynek
11-20-2011, 11:05 AM
I think it's the way it is as mine a
Has a gap also

fiat for life
11-20-2011, 12:42 PM
They all have it. Ive noticed it too and at first it drove me batty but then I realized every 500 has it....not to say it still doesnt bother me but its not a defect particular to one car. Its all of them that have this slight gap.

Felnus
11-20-2011, 10:56 PM
I have no gap?

Randy Robert Mosele
11-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Isabella, my Rosso Sport, has no gap.

vak9girl
11-21-2011, 07:10 AM
its driving me nuts. when I get home from work today I will get a pic. I'm sure most have it...bummer.

newcastle
11-21-2011, 07:13 PM
I have a slight gap also.

vak9girl
11-22-2011, 07:30 AM
could't get a pic because the car was in the garage and I didn't really see the gap? Not sure if its due to poor lighting or what. My husband detailed the car yesterday so he might have fooled with the radio - maybe it just wasn't in all the way? I will try to get a pic thursday if the gap is still showing - sorry!

FiatGusto
11-22-2011, 12:24 PM
I really think we need to see a picture; mine has no gap that does not look correct. But, maybe there is one that is like yours but I can't
really "see" it.

Felnus
11-22-2011, 05:19 PM
This thread has got me looking at my radio just a bit too much. I think that the "gap" might be the normal spacing of the radio and the colored trim panel being reflected in the colored trim panel in certain lights making it look twice as wide as it actually is.

buzzny
11-22-2011, 09:05 PM
I thought it was a neat note holder! Another Easter egg! - not! I have a slight one but not enough to bug me.

vak9girl
11-25-2011, 05:47 PM

not the best photo but... here is the gap

buzzny
11-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Mine has about the same. I am not really worried, I have seen lots worse with other brands.

Chris
11-25-2011, 06:00 PM
I don't see much issue there.

SeaDawg
11-25-2011, 06:47 PM
I don't see much issue there.

Me neither. I would have never noticed it without this thread.

Randy Robert Mosele
11-25-2011, 07:24 PM
I . . . don't see a . . . gap (paraphrasing CPT Willard in Apocalypse Now)

sjmst
11-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Does not look out of spec. Hard to tell.

luckymoi
11-25-2011, 09:48 PM

not the best photo but... here is the gap

I never noticed... might be that with the cabrio I am always looking up?
I just checked! There is a gap. Mine is slightly bigger than the space on the other edges AND it appears larger than it is due to the angle etc.
Its so minor for moi that it is not important to me...
Oh I hope I won't obsess on this now.
C&M, how's your gap on the three day old Giallo Lounge?

Thad
11-26-2011, 09:39 PM
You want a good one? With doors closed, check the gap at the ends of the dash where it almost meets the door panels. I'll betcha the left and right gaps are way different. It almost makes the whole dash look like it's not centered.

cmj912
11-27-2011, 12:36 PM
No gap but when I got my car I was cleaning the inside a few days later and I pushed on the radio with the cloth and heard "click".
Turns out the trim piece wasn't snapped in all the way.

Also check out the climate control panel. On nearly every Fiat 500 I have ever seen the panel looks tilted down toward the left ever so slightly. I can fit a pencil on the left, cannot fit it on the right.

newcastle
11-28-2011, 12:46 AM
You want a good one? With doors closed, check the gap at the ends of the dash where it almost meets the door panels. I'll betcha the left and right gaps are way different. It almost makes the whole dash look like it's not centered.

I don't see any gaps that you are referring to.

buzzny
11-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Dash is closer to passenger door than it is on drivers door on mine. Almost 2x. I've seen much worse with other manufactures.

Doodles
11-30-2011, 10:17 PM
They all have it. Ive noticed it too and at first it drove me batty but then I realized every 500 has it....not to say it still doesnt bother me but its not a defect particular to one car. Its all of them that have this slight gap.
Mine definitely does NOT have any gap, so it's unlikely
they all have a gap. #395

FiatGusto
12-02-2011, 01:21 AM
Mine has no gap. Verde Chiaro Sport purchased in May.
LOVEITATON.

vak9girl
12-03-2011, 07:44 AM
it isn't really showing up in the picture - on sunny days you can really see it from the drivers seat - I can even see three or four white (body color) vertical pieces under it

janaheim
01-06-2012, 04:50 PM
I don't see a gap in mine. Anyway here's a picture of the radio on my Grigio Sport.

Felnus
01-06-2012, 06:08 PM
I don't see a gap in mine. Anyway here's a picture of the radio on my Grigio Sport.

That pic illustrates the issue pretty well in my opinion. It is not an actual gap but rather the reflection of the radio in the colored dash piece making the seam under the radio look twice the size that it actually is. If you look closely you can even see the body colored vertical pieces vak9girl is referring to but again, these are reflected in the dash panel and appear twice as long as they actually are.

janaheim
01-07-2012, 06:29 AM
That pic illustrates the issue pretty well in my opinion. It is not an actual gap but rather the reflection of the radio in colored dash piece making the seam under the radio twice the size that it actually is. If you look closely you can even see the body colored vertical pieces vak9girl is referring to but again, these are reflected in the dash panel and appear twice as long as they actually are.

Very good observation. I never noticed anything wrong with it in the first place and what you just said makes perfect sense. After your comment I just had to examine it more closely. I really like the design, simple but elegant. Ciao.

Dwaynek
01-07-2012, 11:45 AM
however on some models the radio is set in crocked and there is a gap at the bottom of radio. If you are at your dealership look into several and you will see this. Questionable quality control on assembly line!

Felnus
01-07-2012, 05:26 PM
however on some models the radio is set in crocked and there is a gap at the bottom of radio. If you are at your dealership look into several and you will see this. Questionable quality control on assembly line!

Im not saying its impossible however I did sit in and test drive 9 or 10 500s at my studio on two different occasions and none exhibited a gap. Your mileage may vary but in most cases I believe it is an optical illusion caused by the reflection of the radio in the colored dash panel.

janaheim
01-07-2012, 06:21 PM

This morning I had my car serviced at Orange Coast Fiat and I had the opportunity to look at several 500 and 500C, Pops, Sports, Lounges, Gucci's. I did not see any crooked radios or gap under them. Neither did I see anything else wrong with the cars. They were all put together well, like mine. Posts like these which claim there's a problem without offering proof of it only fuels the fire that Fiat has a quality problem. The person who started this thread and those that agreed with her need to show proof. Take a high resolution picture of your radio so we can all look for ourselves. I have gone out of my way on this issue because I don't believe it. I posted a high resolution picture of my radio; there is no gap. If you disagree then do the same. I want to see your radio.

Dwaynek, do you have any proof that on some models the radio is set crooked? Pictures would help.

On another note, my visit at the dealer was very pleasant. My ESC & Power Steering warning lights had come on last night. They did a thorough checking of the car and everything was fine. They even washed and vacuumed my car and I had two espressos to boot! I am very pleased with my 500 Sport and with Orange Coast Fiat.

Ciao,
John

Doodles
01-07-2012, 10:19 PM
I agree that too many are giving unsubstantiated opinions.
Some, if not most,end up being wrong. Just as Joe Friday said .." Just the facts!"

mneuman916
01-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Did someoone ask for pics? Here's my crooked radio - set in too far on the right.

Felnus
01-08-2012, 10:12 AM
I am so very happy that I can go through life driving a vehicle that puts a smile on my face without going over it with a magnifying glass and calipers going "Ah HA!!" at any inconsistency, real or otherwise.

janaheim
01-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Did someoone ask for pics? Here's my crooked radio - set in too far on the right.

Thanks for submitting your picture. I can now see how some people would be disappointed with this. You know, we're all different, some of us would be bothered by something like that and some of us would not. Nonetheless your gripe is legitimate. May I ask if you have brought this up with your local Fiat studio? Being under warranty I would imagine they would correct any cosmetic defect. Please keep us posted and good luck.

vak9girl
01-08-2012, 12:22 PM
I asked a question to find out if I could fix this little problem. I wasn't saying anything about the car's quality, etc. I love my car. I just wanted to see if there were more and if anyone just moved the radio or whatever to fix it.
I didn't mean to get people to be defensive about the car. UGH.

mneuman916 - thanks for the picture, good to know I am not alone in this!

mneuman916
01-08-2012, 12:45 PM
I havn't brought it to my dealers attention yet - they aren't exactly around the corner. I may pop it out myself and take a peek. Otherwise I'll bring it up at it's first service.

Also, there is quite a difference between nit picking small variances and egregious fitment issues. This being the latter.

janaheim
01-08-2012, 03:13 PM
I asked a question to find out if I could fix this little problem. I wasn't saying anything about the car's quality, etc. I love my car. I just wanted to see if there were more and if anyone just moved the radio or whatever to fix it.
I didn't mean to get people to be defensive about the car. UGH.

mneuman916 - thanks for the picture, good to know I am not alone in this!

Yeah you're right. Some of us guys get pretty wound up. Maybe too much espresso? If I upset you by the comments I made, I apologize. It was not my intention to be rude or mean.

Sincerely, John

Felnus
01-08-2012, 03:28 PM
I was out in the 500 earlier taking a picture to help another forum member with an issue with their TomTom and I have to say that my radio looks just like yours mneuman916. However, are the rest of your radio edges flush? Mine appear to be. If you try to move the radio to make that one corner flush then chances are that the rest of the radio will no longer be in alignment. It is not worth it in my opinion.

Besides folks, this is like looking at this woman and saying, "Wow, she would be so beautiful if it wasn't for that mole."

Wha? Who cares about the mole and why are you dwelling on it? Not a single person that has been in my car has said, "Great car but your radio is crooked/has a gap."

Its like looking at the Mona Lisa. Wonderful piece of art right? How many people notice that the lady has no eyebrows?

:) Smile and don't sweat the small stuff, you will have a better day trust me.

mneuman916
01-08-2012, 03:45 PM
I was out in the 500 earlier taking a picture to help another forum member with an issue with their TomTom and I have to say that my radio looks just like yours mneuman916. However, are the rest of your radio edges flush? Mine appear to be. If you try to move the radio to make that one corner flush then chances are that the rest of the radio will no longer be in alignment. It is not worth it in my opinion.

Besides folks, this is like looking at this woman and saying, "Wow, she would be so beautiful if it wasn't for that mole."

Wha? Who cares about the mole and why are you dwelling on it? Not a single person that has been in my car has said, "Great car but your radio is crooked/has a gap."

Its like looking at the Mona Lisa. Wonderful piece of art right? How many people notice that the lady has no eyebrows?

:) Smile and don't sweat the small stuff, you will have a better day trust me.

If I were to pull the radio and move the locking clip on the right a hair more toward the rear of the car, the whole thing would sit nice and flush. It's something that bothers me but not enough to go fidget with until the weather gets a bit nicer. By then I'll be due for an oil change anyway. I may just have the dealer look at it at that point. Someone in the other forums made mention that his radio was this very same way and his dealer fixed it under warranty by replacing a clip.

FiaTED
02-10-2012, 04:04 PM
If I were to pull the radio and move the locking clip on the right a hair more toward the rear of the car, the whole thing would sit nice and flush. It's something that bothers me but not enough to go fidget with until the weather gets a bit nicer. By then I'll be due for an oil change anyway. I may just have the dealer look at it at that point. Someone in the other forums made mention that his radio was this very same way and his dealer fixed it under warranty by replacing a clip.

Then you would have to find something else to obsess about

FiatPhil
02-10-2012, 06:22 PM
I am so very happy that I can go through life driving a vehicle that puts a smile on my face without going over it with a magnifying glass and calipers going "Ah HA!!" at any inconsistency, real or otherwise.

I've got more pressing things in my life than worrying about the radio installation parameters...and I've been a professional disc-jockey. As long as it plays and isn't hanging by the wires, I'm fine with it. You should see some of the poorly rack-mounted installations in radio stations (on equipment that costs more than this car).

FiatPhil
02-10-2012, 06:26 PM

What's wrong is the dash it too far out into the car on the right. Have you measured the dash distance to the back seat on both sides?

buzzny
02-10-2012, 08:15 PM
I do understand that some people expect exactly what they see before they take ownership but when that have it then they notice issues. I really think that this is (I know I WILL get bashed for this) old school and times have changed. For me, I have learned to 'roll-with-the-changes' because I see this everyday with my job. Quality=downhill. I see the 'just ship it, it's revenue' attitude. Lack of perfection. I have thought of changing jobs several times but have not just because I have found out that this attitude is INTERNATIONAL. Like I said, times have changes. I have taught myself to live with it, any issues I'll fix myself on most occasions.
BTW - I have found more imperfection on my quite new high end Subarus.
Signed,
Former Mercedes Benz, Infiniti, Volvo, Nissan and present Subaru/Mercedes Benz/Fiat owner.

FiaTED
02-10-2012, 08:59 PM
I do understand that some people expect exactly what they see before they take ownership but when that have it then they notice issues. I really think that this is (I know I WILL get bashed for this) old school and times have changed. For me, I have learned to 'roll-with-the-changes' because I see this everyday with my job. Quality=downhill. I see the 'just ship it, it's revenue' attitude. Lack of perfection. I have thought of changing jobs several times but have not just because I have found out that this attitude is INTERNATIONAL. Like I said, times have changes. I have taught myself to live with it, any issues I'll fix myself on most occasions.
BTW - I have found more imperfection on my quite new high end Subarus.
Signed,
Former Mercedes Benz, Infiniti, Volvo, Nissan and present Subaru/Mercedes Benz/Fiat owner.

I didnt know there was such a thing as a "high end Subaru", lol

buzzny
02-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Sorry Ted-ed, XT Limited models. All the stuff w/turbos. BTW - @ 55K miles on my '09 I already upgraded the engine to get more umph. from224 to 330hp. Nice sleepermobile. Freaks out the STI owners on the highway:)

mneuman916
02-12-2012, 02:01 PM
What's wrong is the dash it too far out into the car on the right. Have you measured the dash distance to the back seat on both sides?

You got jokes.

janaheim
02-12-2012, 10:02 PM
You got jokes.

You wanna a joke? Here's one. What do you call two brothers who have a Fiat? Fiatelli! :highly_amused:

Ciao