PDA

View Full Version : Now THIS is a proper commercial...Woo-Hoo!

Felnus
11-16-2011, 07:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpi2IAec9Ho

fredfrey
11-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Wow, very hot. And the girl is nice too!

KhalilWilliams
11-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Yes, the advert is very hot! I personally like how the lady scorpion was a bit abusive to the man in his daydreams! :)

Felnus
11-16-2011, 07:28 PM
I like the scorpion tat on the back of her neck. Very nice touch.

geeded
11-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Please dump j-lo and use this ad agency..... a lot. Wow........... My upper lip is sweating a little...... Ciao Bella!

Randy Robert Mosele
11-16-2011, 07:38 PM
That's what I'm talkin about!

Max
11-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Love it!!! I too love the added touch of the scorpion on the back of her neck. These are the commercials that should be running in the US. Probably costs a fraction of the J-Lo ones due to the lack of a high priced celeb in the picture.

Max

geeded
11-16-2011, 07:58 PM
A few more like this (and actually aired) will undo all the "chic" & Jlo slag that has been thrown out. It reminded me of those early great MINI commercials. If that's a sample, this ad agency is a keeper*.

*Also that actress...Whoa, Nellie, I see some scorpion tattoos being tatted right now...
"

thekgb
11-16-2011, 08:05 PM
This heretofore unknown Italian woman has just sold more Fiats in one day on the web. . . than J-Lo has sold during the last three months. Her boy-toy dancing commercials need to go.

I have worked in advertising and marketing for over 20 years. This really is one of the most effective TV spots that I've ever seen. What is the story behind it? Who produced it? My complements!

Felnus
11-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Fiat USA posted it on their Facebook page a little while before I posted it here. I would expect it to be getting some airtime in the near future.

fredfrey
11-16-2011, 08:24 PM
I've watched the ad a few times now trying to translater her. I know she's saying "why are you looking at me?" at the start... then I get mesmerized and forget to listen. Perhaps there is a longer "web" version :panda:

blefevre
11-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Ummmm.....Yes Please.

fredfrey
11-16-2011, 08:35 PM

FiatGusto
11-16-2011, 09:00 PM
OMG. That is fantastic. PLEASE run it here!

WIBOB
11-16-2011, 09:06 PM
I Agree 100% WOW!

SeaDawg
11-16-2011, 09:24 PM
This should do it: http://youtu.be/cpi2IAec9Ho

johnnyquest
11-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Oh my...I'm speechless. That woman could slap me around and speak to me in Italian (which I do not understand) all day long. That is just a fantastic, effective, exciting, sexy commercial. The driving clip at the end to emphasize the performance intentions of this model is what really makes it brilliant IMO. To whomever wrote/directed/produced/created the ad, super job. More please!!

JQ

buzzny
11-16-2011, 09:47 PM
And you all wonder why I go to Italy every year:)

PFVA63
11-16-2011, 10:02 PM
To be honest I quite like this commercial and find it very humorous.

However, after seeing it, I'm kind of stuck by the realization that it really hasn't told me much anything about the actual car, other than maybe it can hurt you if you're not careful. Maybe if it were shown on TV along with other commercials showing more of the car in real world situations that would be cool.

Regards

Pat

geeded
11-16-2011, 10:59 PM
To be honest I quite like this commercial and find it very humorous.

However, after seeing it, I'm kind of stuck by the realization that it really hasn't told me much anything about the actual car, other than maybe it can hurt you if you're not careful. Maybe if it were shown on TV along with other commercials showing more of the car in real world situations that would b
Pat

Sorry, not with you on this one Pat. If I hadn't already put a deposit down on one, I'd be on my way to a dealer to learn more ASAP. Sex sells cars. Period. That's no secret and that woman could sell me anything this side of Obama. This commercial shows me that I WILL fall in lust with this car, that it is Italian, beautiful, and will haul ass. It even erases J-lo from my memory .... and will do the same for many others. This commercial can make the 500 (at least the Abarth) acceptable, even desired, by men. Great ad.... congrats to all involved. I plan on watching it many more times, ON PURPOSE, and I can't say that about any other commercial right now.

Cheers

PFVA63
11-16-2011, 11:29 PM
Maybe its just that I felt a little let down by the whole reveal today, in that I was left with the feeling that they hadn't told us everything that I was hoping they would, that I was just left feeling down about a bit the whole thing. In the end the reveal confirmed some rumors, pinning down power, and weight and some other stuff, but it still seems to kind of leave open costs, speed, acceleration, and other overall performance issues.

In the same way (eventhough I like the commercial) I'm still kind of left with the feeling that its not really showing what I really want to see (the car in real world settings giving a feel for how it might really perform).

In the end it kind of comes across to me as a funny opening joke, with a few quick cuts of the car zipping around, but lacking the real meat of what I'm hoping to see. Hopefully additional commercials, etc will be coming out to help fill that void.

Pat

johnnyquest
11-16-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm with Geeded...

JQ

txdesign
11-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Sorry, not with you on this one Pat. If I hadn't already put a deposit down on one, I'd be on my way to a dealer to learn more ASAP. Sex sells cars. Period. That's no secret and that woman could sell me anything this side of Obama. This commercial shows me that I WILL fall in lust with this car, that it is Italian, beautiful, and will haul ass. It even erases J-lo from my memory .... and will do the same for many others. This commercial can make the 500 (at least the Abarth) acceptable, even desired, by men. Great ad.... congrats to all involved. I plan on watching it many more times, ON PURPOSE, and I can't say that about any other commercial right now.

Cheers

Agree totally. This is a car that will sell on emotion and sex appeal not by showing "real world situations". That works for Camry commercials.

Have Trumpet Will Travel
11-16-2011, 11:49 PM
YES . . . I agree with Geeded, also. Can't wait for more specs., etc., haven't had an Abarth for 40+ years, gettin' a little impatient. Oh well, I waited 3 months for the 500 Pop, guess I'll just wait a little longer. HTWT.

PFVA63
11-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Agree totally. This is a car that will sell on emotion and sex appeal not by showing "real world situations". That works for Camry commercials.

Hi,

By real world, I don't really just mean going down this street or around that one, but rather if this is really a performance car, then I'd like to see some realistic performance, and not just some quick cuts of it zooming here and there with fake sound effects.

By relying only on emotion I'd fear that people will start making jokes that all anyone is really spending the extra money on is image, numbers in a glossy brochure, and the smile from an attractive woman.

Regards

Pat

PS. While I do think that sex may get your attention, I don't really believe that sex actually sells for alot of people in a situation where they may be spending a major premium in costs over a more basic model.

geeded
11-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Hi,

By relying only on emotion I'd fear that people will start making jokes that all anyone is really spending the extra money on is image, numbers in a glossy brochure, and the smile from an attractive woman.

Regards

Pat

I think that what you fear is indeed mostly true Pat. If not for those qualities you mention, we'd all be driving the auto equivalent of a Lada. Who REALLY needs a 444 hp Mustang 302? Or... a little Italian car with more hp than it really needs and is not "practical" compared to a Lada, Hundai, Kia, whatever.

In my case, I recognize all this and don't really give a cr*p. The Abarth will be fun on the back roads here in the mountains and I can drive it a lot harder than a Lada. In other words, it's what I want, not what I need. I have other vehicles so I actually don't "need" it at all. Let's face it. Cars aren't usually a rational purchase. A 2-year old white Malibu will probably do whatever most people actually need but good grief, wouldn't that be boring?

Anyhow, IMHO the Abarth ad rang my chimes and I applaud them for it. It's good to know there are still people out there that can sell Ice to Eskimos.

Cheers and here's to choices. Ain't America grand?!

PFVA63
11-17-2011, 12:51 AM
... Cars aren't usually a rational purchase. ...

I hear you on that :)

Pat

Reaperman
11-17-2011, 09:31 AM
I really dislike everything about this ad except for the little bit at the end with the exhaust note. I get what they were trying for this time around, but I'm really not onboard. I'd have maced that thing around the 15 second mark.

I really haven't liked any of the US FIAT ads. At least the production values on the J-lo ad were considerably higher, but I'm clearly not the target market for that one either. The UK abarth ads seem to feature loud noises and spirited driving--that's where I'm at.

cmj912
11-17-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm not a target market for anything.

And yet when I saw the ad I said "Thank G*D" out loud. A longing geek, a sexy Italian woman, a foamy coffee and then a few pulse-quickening shots of the car; its interior, and it on the road ker-screamin' around some corners. A very admirable effort for an introductory Abarth commercial. I LOVED the shot that says "YES you can get it with a manual transmission".

Of course, after that I was watching Ghost Hunters and learned that this particular evening was sponsored by FIAT - and I thought - are they going to show it?!?!? No. Not yet. I got to see an installment of JLo driving through the Bronx. Again. LOL.

Priced out of my budget at this point, of course - there's a long way for me between +- 18k and 24k but I'd be in line for one if I could.

FiatPhil
11-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Wow....this ad is so much better than the J-Lo ad. It really gets your attention!

Chris
11-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Hi,

By real world, I don't really just mean going down this street or around that one, but rather if this is really a performance car, then I'd like to see some realistic performance, and not just some quick cuts of it zooming here and there with fake sound effects.

Regards

Pat

PS. While I do think that sex may get your attention, I don't really believe that sex actually sells for alot of people in a situation where they may be spending a major premium in costs over a more basic model.

You must be of German heritage j/k!!

Broad commercials are never targeted at enthusiasts who already know more about the car than the dealer.

Giallo Edizione
11-17-2011, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE=geeded;542431 It even erases J-lo from my memory .... and will do the same for many others. Cheers[/QUOTE]

That commercial erases just about everything from my head.

It's all about the foam.

Never going to see it on commercial TV in this foam, er I mean form.

PFVA63
11-17-2011, 03:47 PM
I really dislike everything about this ad except for the little bit at the end with the exhaust note. I get what they were trying for this time around, but I'm really not onboard. I'd have maced that thing around the 15 second mark.

I really haven't liked any of the US FIAT ads. At least the production values on the J-lo ad were considerably higher, but I'm clearly not the target market for that one either. The UK abarth ads seem to feature loud noises and spirited driving--that's where I'm at.

I do really like this commercial but I guess for me, after seeing it again, I'm kind of left with an impression that - yes the car is very attractive and sporty/playful, but it also can probably easily hurt you if you are not careful, and it may also be very temperamental and owning one may be kind of "high maintnenance" relationship.

Maybe its just that I'm an engineer and getting older, and not so easily swayed by just a pretty face anymore. :dispirited:

Pat

Giallo Edizione
11-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Maybe you would if you had the translation:

What are you looking at? Uh!? What are you looking at?! Are you undressing me with your eyes? Poor guy…you can’t help it? Is your heart beating? Is your head spinning? Do you feel lost thinking that I could be yours forever?”

Still feeling like an old engineer?

Giallo Edizione
11-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Maybe its just that I'm an engineer and getting older, and not so easily swayed by just a pretty face anymore. :dispirited:

Pat

Or is it like this:

An old guy is walking down the street and sees a frog and picks it up. The frog looks at the old guy and says “If you kiss me, I’ll turn into a beautiful princess.” The old guy thinks about it for a minute and then stuffs the frog in his cardigan sweater pocket and continues on his way. The frog kicks and curses and eventually manages to get his head out of the pocket and yells “Hey buddy, I told you if you kiss me, I’ll turn into a beautiful princess. The old guy looks down at the frog and says “ Well let me tell you, at my age I have a lot more use for a talking frog than I’ll ever have for a beautiful princess.

sjmst
11-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Isn't it strange? Almost EVERYONE HATES the J LO commercial and almost EVERYONE loves this. How is it that FIAT and Chrysler, with all their talent and resources, could not figure this out before? Or maybe we unwashed masses are missing something...

Felnus
11-17-2011, 04:46 PM
To play devil's advocate, there are a lot more guys than gals on this site. Of course we like this commercial better. :D

sjmst
11-17-2011, 04:59 PM
To play devil's advocate, there are a lot more guys than gals on this site. Of course we like this commercial better. :D
Well, if you want to bring FACTS in...:ambivalence:

Felnus
11-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Well, if you want to bring FACTS in...:ambivalence:

I'm an analyst, it's what I do. :playful:

PFVA63
11-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Maybe you would if you had the translation:

What are you looking at? Uh!? What are you looking at?! Are you undressing me with your eyes? Poor guy…you can’t help it? Is your heart beating? Is your head spinning? Do you feel lost thinking that I could be yours forever?”

Still feeling like an old engineer?

Hi,

Since I don't realy understand Italian for all I know she could have been saying:

"What are you looking at? Uh!? What are you looking at?! I know you think I'm sexy, but realize I can also be a real -----. For all you know I'll be real high maintenance, temperamental and start leaking fluids all over the place! Oh well, what are you going to do, I can see that you're a guy and can easily be lead around by your -----!" :hypnotysed:

Pat :p

SeaDawg
11-17-2011, 06:31 PM
I do really like this commercial but I guess for me, after seeing it again, I'm kind of left with an impression that - yes the car is very attractive and sporty/playful, but it also can probably easily hurt you if you are not careful, and it may also be very temperamental and owning one may be kind of "high maintnenance" relationship.

Pat
If people drive it like it begs to be driven it will probably be higher maintenance than most really want to deal with...gearheads excepted.

I should probably take another look at those spec sheets before I say this, but the one thing I haven't seen anyone address is how long is the warranty and for how many miles? Me personally; I'd be more interested in the warranty on this little devil than the Rosso Sport I currently drive. Also I wonder what the maintenance schedule will look like and will they throw 'free maintenance' in on this one too?

MrFiat
11-17-2011, 10:13 PM

Speaking from one old engineer to another, we may not be able to help getting old but we sure can stay Young at Heart for as long we care to! :devilish: --LOL

geeded
11-18-2011, 01:23 AM
If people drive it like it begs to be driven it will probably be higher maintenance than most really want to deal with...gearheads excepted.

I should probably take another look at those spec sheets before I say this, but the one thing I haven't seen anyone address is how long is the warranty and for how many miles? Me personally; I'd be more interested in the warranty on this little devil than the Rosso Sport I currently drive. Also I wonder what the maintenance schedule will look like and will they throw 'free maintenance' in on this one too?

Good question. Chris, will the Abarth have the same warranty as the regular 500?

Thanks

Giallo Edizione
11-18-2011, 05:12 PM

Are you talking about the car or the actress in the ad?

By the way, her name is Catrinel Menghia and she is from Romania.

Felnus
11-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Are you talking about the car or the actress in the ad?

By the way, her name is Catrinel Menghia and she is from Romania.

If I may quote Richie Cunningham, "Holy Moley..."

MrFiat
11-19-2011, 02:59 PM
I've watched the ad a few times now trying to translater her. I know she's saying "why are you looking at me?" at the start... then I get mesmerized and forget to listen. Perhaps there is a longer "web" version :panda:

My Italian isn't that good yet, darn it. I can't find an English translation anywhere, but it would be fun to hear what she's saying. Care to give a translation a try? Only this time, close your eyes! :beguiled: -- :encouragement: LOL

jessicatt
11-19-2011, 03:37 PM
I watched this commerical 3 times i love it. Way to go Fiat!

Giallo Edizione
11-19-2011, 06:06 PM
My Italian isn't that good yet, darn it. I can't find an English translation anywhere, but it would be fun to hear what she's saying. Care to give a translation a try? Only this time, close your eyes! :beguiled: -- :encouragement: LOL

He nods his head pathetically after that last line.

MrFiat
11-19-2011, 07:11 PM
He nods his head pathetically after that last line.

LOL -- Me too! --- Wish my Italian were better at this point, but I'm learning. Thank you for the translation!:encouragement:

Fiat500USA
11-20-2011, 02:19 AM
There is another version of this commercial - I would call it a more Italian version - with more Foam;) We may or may not get to see that version. :sorrow:

mocha
11-20-2011, 02:49 AM
Chick car....................who cares.................love my 500 even more.................:beguiled::beguiled:

Felnus
11-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Yeah, chick car....as in six women I work with have asked to go for a ride in it.:beguiled:

Fiat500USA
11-20-2011, 11:23 AM
After owning Italian cars for 30+ years, I don't care what others think of my car. There are many hundreds of thousands of men that currently own the new Fiat 500. We are all in good company. I think it is a test of character to be able to enjoy what you like and not be concerned with what the 'crowd' thinks. It is one of the things that makes the owners of this car interesting and entertaining to be around.

All the old time Fiat / Alfa / Lancia owners here have had, at some point, a stranger come up and offer a negative opinion. I'm sure after that person left, we've all said to ourselves, "why would I care about what some moron thinks about my car."

geeded
11-22-2011, 03:45 PM
On a more positive line, I've been following the "Seduction" commercial on YouTube. Getting close to a Million hits..... Who says sex doesn't sell?<grin>

A few haters but mostly positive comments. Here's a few that shows you what a great commercial can do:

"I am going to buy an Abarth right now, I don't really want one or need one, but I don't care, I am convinced I have to buy one:)"

"now that's an effective commercial"

"The Abarth Scorpion symbol must be about the coolest design of an icon there is"

"Hohothothothothtohtothtothotht*ohtothothtot"

"That... was the best car commercial I've ever seen. Scratch that, best commercial. Period."

"This is a masterpiece. And so is the commercial."

"I want this car. It's unique and new in the States. Not for everyone but that's a good thing"

"could it be, a small FWD car that's actually cool?"

"Car's nifty...but the woman...would melt a man"

"Best 59 secs of my life"

"SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

"man. that is the sexiest car commercial i have ever seen!"

"I now want one.."

"That's the kind of ad that makes u think: "Daaaang, I Just love Italy!"

"Brilliant commercial.. . you got me to click on a "see what happen next" and watch it on their website And Then search for it on YouTube again!"

"I'm sorry but the guy in the commercial is the luckiest guy in the world."

AND

"After considering setting my 500 on fire when the JLo ads came out, this commercial changes everything. I no longer drive my 500 around with a bag over my head."

You get the idea. It's amazing the power of advertising if it's done correctly. If they keep this type of ad campaign up, we may even survive Jlo.

Cheers

"

epb
11-24-2011, 03:41 AM
Years ago I was telling a buddy about a great commercial I saw, and when I finished he asked "What was the product?" "Err..." "That was a crappy commercial."

This works, because I think anyone watching would remember it's for a Fiat 500 Abarth (the logo tattoo helps), and most would be inspired to learn more about the car. And I think the fact that you don't know what she's saying helps make you curious about the commercial, and the car she turns out to be. The woman is exciting and exotic, and those ideas transfer to the car when you realize that's what he's staring at. That the personification of a diminutive Fiat 500 is a leggy model is artistic license I'll forgive. :)