PDA

View Full Version : FIAMM horns = great sound

Va_alfiat
11-11-2011, 06:00 PM
I replaced the stock horn with a set of FIAMM trumpets that I purchased from International Auto Parts. Install complexity is medium. I had to purchase wire, and ring and push on connectors; and solder wire to the existing horn connector (makes going back to stock more difficult!). No drilling necessary, but had to bend the FIAMM mounting brackets to fit. In the end, the sound is great and it certainly gets the attention of distracted SUV drivers.

Va_alfiat
11-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Want to hear what they sound like? Here's a (very) amatuer video recording the FIAMM horn sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiEfEoQ75Jo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiEfEoQ75Jo

Va_alfiat
11-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Want to hear how they sound? Check out this very amatuer video recording the horn sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiEfEoQ75Jo

Dwaynek
11-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Could you that on my old mini coopervas no one sees me!

MrFiat
11-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Great to see these FIAMM air horns on the new Fiat. They really sound sweet! The old Abarths came equipped with them but with one interesting twist that we might incorporate into the new cars. There is a switch under the dash that toggles power to either the air horn compressor or to an electric horn. You can flip between the two horns with the flick of a switch. In the old days they referred to it as the city horn and the country horn. And no comments from the peanut gallery about horny cars! -- :o --- lol

buzzny
11-11-2011, 09:10 PM
And no comments from the peanut gallery about horny cars! -- :o --- lol

You knew someone had to start it. 2 horns for a devilish little car....and you this I was going to go in a different direction with that huh?

luckymoi
11-11-2011, 09:15 PM
I put a set on my motorcycle but there was delay before the sound came... that the case on the car?

MrFiat
11-11-2011, 09:36 PM
I put a set on my motorcycle but there was delay before the sound came... that the case on the car?

Nope. No delay. Mine are pretty well instantaneous. The compressor does draw a lot of startup current from the battery. Perhaps your motorcycle electrical system can't handle the starting electrical load. Oiling the compressor vanes can help a lot by making the compressor easier to spin.

MrFiat
11-11-2011, 09:44 PM
You knew someone had to start it. 2 horns for a devilish little car....and you this I was going to go in a different direction with that huh?

:applause: LOL What can I say? Score one for the Buzz !!!

Va_alfiat
11-11-2011, 09:54 PM
No delays in the horn response. Here's a link to my very amatuer you tube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiEfEoQ75Jo)to show the tone and volume. Please no comments about my bare feet.:)

Va_alfiat
11-11-2011, 09:57 PM
No delays on the horn. I've tried to post a link several times to a you tube video showing the tone and volume of the horns. I now have to wait until the admin approves the post? That's what it says anyway. I hope the admin doesn't approve all three attempts.....:neglected:

Fiat500USA
11-12-2011, 02:09 AM
No delays on the horn. I've tried to post a link several times to a you tube video showing the tone and volume of the horns. I now have to wait until the admin approves the post? That's what it says anyway. I hope the admin doesn't approve all three attempts.....:neglected:

Sorry for the delay, stuck at work. :sorrow:

I've been thinking of getting the FIAMM horns, too. Definitely a blast from the past! LOL :highly_amused:

WIBOB
11-12-2011, 12:32 PM
That sounds great, but maybe you should put on some sort of tube on the end of the horns to get the sound outside the vehicle instead of reverberating under the front of the car body.

500MADNESS.com
11-12-2011, 12:52 PM
We carry this one and install it at our shop (have it on both of our cars). It fits well and sounds great.

http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=fiamm&product_id=119

MrFiat
11-12-2011, 07:52 PM
I had another thought for whatever it's worth. If you used your existing horn wire to attach to the Fiamm, the wire may be too small which would create a voltage drop at the horn. in turn slowing down the compressor motor If this is the case, I would try wiring the Fiamm compressor directly (through a switch or horn relay of course) to the battery with a heavy gauge wire. An appropriate inline fuse would also be in order. That should very likely eliminate the horn delay. This may or may not be your problem but it's the only other thing I can think of at the moment that would cause such a delay. Hope it helps.

Have Trumpet Will Travel
11-13-2011, 02:42 AM
Have always loved those FIAMM horns, sure beats reaching for my Bb trumpet - talk about a delay . . . seriously : any of you out there old enough to remember when the big General Motors cars (Caddy's) had separate buttons on the steering wheel for City / Country? HTWT.

MrFiat
11-13-2011, 11:08 AM
any of you out there old enough to remember when the big General Motors cars (Caddy's) had separate buttons on the steering wheel for City / Country? HTWT.

Yup. --:grey::sleeping: -- old enough -- My first car had a hand crank -- really -- LOL

vak9girl
11-19-2011, 08:17 AM
the horn sounds AWESOME!

einy
11-21-2011, 09:39 PM
I had the same setup for many years on my last Miata ... bought from a place called (no, I'm not making this up!) Crazy Red Italian. Very "noticable" in traffic - saved my bacon a number of times!

Chris
12-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Which model number is that horn? Suggestion on where to order? Any more thorough instructions on the mods to get it done?

Va_alfiat
12-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Which model number is that horn? Suggestion on where to order? Any more thorough instructions on the mods to get it done?

I recommend you only tackle this job is you have both a mechanical and electrical aptitude. You need to know how to "Make stuff work". This is not a bolt on kit, it is a custom fit project that requires skills. Okay, with that said, let me try to recall what I did. I did not document the process.

I bought the FIAMM horn kit from International Auto Parts. Here's the link to the item (http://www.international-auto.com/driving-accessories/horns.cfm). The 500Madness guy also installed a FIAMM kit to his 500, maybe he can weigh in on his installation.

I also had to buy:
1 roll 12 gauge wire
1 roll 14 gauge wire
2 ring terminal connectors for 12 ga wire
4 female spade connectors, fully insulated, for 12 ga wire
2 female spade connectors, fully insulated, for 14 ga wire
1 in line fuse, 30 amp

Tools: phillips and flat head screwdriver. Basic socket set and wrenches (metric). Soldering iron. Wire cutters/strippers/crimpers.

No drilling or modifications to the car body or chassis was necessary. I used existing holes to do the mounting.

Jack up car front left wheel (do all the safety stuff, jack stands, wheel chocks etc!!)
Remove front left wheel
Remove fender liner
Remove existing horn
Remove oval shaped connector from horn. You will be soldering wires to the female end of this connector, then plug it back into the car's wiring harness, later.
Install horn pump (see photo earlier. I can send hi res photos to your email address if interested, just let me know)
Install horns, you will use the existing mounting bracket. Will require bending the existing mount bracket and the supplied brackets to fit.
Connect hoses from pump to horns
12 gage wire runs from battery +, through inline 30A fuse, to relay
12 gage wire runs from relay to horn pump +
12 gage wire runs from horn - to battery -
Two 14 gage wires run from existing horn connector (here's where the soldering comes in) to the relay. You will be soldering one end of each wire to the oval connector. Fill er up with solder. Put female spade connector on other end
You can find wiring diagrams for Bosch 5 pin relays on the web, most diagrams you will find are for fog lights but the application is the same.

Insert ear plugs
Press horn button in car
Wife runs out to the garage and says "What the %^&**^$ was that!!"

Put it back together.
If you need more detail, send a PM to me and we can talk on the phone.
I will attach a few photos from the top side showing the battery connection and the relay location.
Best of luck,

Va_alfiat
12-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Here are some photos from the top side. You can see the yellow ring connectors on the battery terminals. Also, the bosch relay can be seen in front of the battery, it's the tan colored square device. The last photo is representative of the wiring diagram. You will need to use this as a guide.

Chris
12-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks- I f I do this, I have a mechanic that does mods and custom work.

Haring
02-02-2012, 09:47 AM
We carry this one and install it at our shop (have it on both of our cars). It fits well and sounds great.

http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=fiamm&product_id=119

Do these sound the same as the red air horns mentioned in this thread? I'm definitely doing this to mine but yours looks like an easy install compared to the red horns. It also looks like an easy unplug old and plug this one in. I had the 3-red horn set installed on my Jetta and loved it. Found myself on back roads honking just to hear it. I think the sound fits perfectly for this car.

Fix it again Tony
02-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Wow! What a great idea for a Sunday upgrade! I read this thread last night and went out today to a few auto parts places, ended up at a Kragen store that had a display of about ten different horns hooked up for testing. The sound I liked the best came from a WOLO model 402 unit which set me back only twenty bucks. Great twin-trumpet European sound, perfect for the 500. Disconnected the wires to the factory horn and soldered them to the air pump. I blew the 10 amp fuse right off the bat, but a simple upgrade to a 15 amp fuse fixed that. There is no delay whatsoever, and I will actually be using my horn now that it doesn't sound like a 70's Beetle. Thanks for the great idea!

Fiat Forever!
02-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks, I love my new fiat except for the crummy horn, I"m going to get some of these!

the stig
02-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Wow! What a great idea for a Sunday upgrade! I read this thread last night and went out today to a few auto parts places, ended up at a Kragen store that had a display of about ten different horns hooked up for testing. The sound I liked the best came from a WOLO model 402 unit which set me back only twenty bucks. Great twin-trumpet European sound, perfect for the 500. Disconnected the wires to the factory horn and soldered them to the air pump. I blew the 10 amp fuse right off the bat, but a simple upgrade to a 15 amp fuse fixed that. There is no delay whatsoever, and I will actually be using my horn now that it doesn't sound like a 70's Beetle. Thanks for the great idea!

Just remember that with the 15A fuse you are now pushing the capacity of the wire. For instance,if the trailblazers win the NBA championship, try to not run the horn for long extended periods of time. :) I know this because the night the supersonics won the NBA championship my girlfriend burned up my horn.:chuncky:
At 15A you will probably be OK. At 20A you would be asking for trouble.

eatworksleepdie
02-28-2012, 05:44 PM
It sounds just like the kit I got on my VW GTI! It's LOOUUD! I dig it. haha, I'll have to check into getting this!

500madness, does your version of the horn sound the same? Same 118Db level and same tone?

eatworksleepdie
02-28-2012, 05:47 PM
i just thought of this... when I set my alarm, the horn chirps.. I take it that the alarm would also trigger the new horn.. hmmm. neighbors might get PO'ed on that one! might have to reconsider.

Va_alfiat
02-28-2012, 07:24 PM
i just thought of this... when I set my alarm, the horn chirps.. I take it that the alarm would also trigger the new horn.. hmmm. neighbors might get PO'ed on that one! might have to reconsider.

The chirp is not loud at all. It takes a fraction of a second for the horn pump to build pressure for high volume. The chirp on my door lock function is so short that it comes out as a little tweet. My wife thinks it sounds funny.

Fix it again Tony
02-28-2012, 08:14 PM

There is no chirp at all with the air horns. Since the key lock only sends a slight current to the horn, it is not enough to wake up the horn array.

Fix it again Tony
02-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Just remember that with the 15A fuse you are now pushing the capacity of the wire. For instance,if the trailblazers win the NBA championship, try to not run the horn for long extended periods of time. :) I know this because the night the supersonics won the NBA championship my girlfriend burned up my horn.:chuncky:
At 15A you will probably be OK. At 20A you would be asking for trouble.

Yes, I should be safe with a 15 amp fuse. And I should be safe from the Blazers winning any sort of championship as well....

FiatGusto
02-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Scotty Pippin where are you when we need you. You too Bill W.

Fix it again Tony
02-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Scotty Pippin where are you when we need you. You too Bill W.

Actually, my Nero Sport looks great with the black and red Blazer logo on the back window....

jimtesla
03-25-2012, 03:06 PM
There is no chirp at all with the air horns. Since the key lock only sends a slight current to the horn, it is not enough to wake up the horn array.

awesome no noise on setting the alarm...i like this horn...can you put up some pictures where you put the horns where and how you soldered the wires
what fuse blew and which fuse did you use to replace it with.....thats it for install...i think i can do this....

Fix it again Tony
03-25-2012, 08:16 PM
awesome no noise on setting the alarm...i like this horn...can you put up some pictures where you put the horns where and how you soldered the wires
what fuse blew and which fuse did you use to replace it with.....thats it for install...i think i can do this....

Okay, let's see...The horns are mounted to the upper suspension brace, the pump is located inside of the no-longer-used air intake duct (I have a Competizione CAI). The solder points are impossible to photograph, sorry. The fuse box, located behind the battery, is shown with the cover removed The horn fuse is third one down on the left, in position F-10.

Hope this helps, Tony

Fiat Forever!
03-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Okay, let's see...The horns are mounted to the upper suspension brace, the pump is located inside of the no-longer-used air intake duct (I have a Competizione CAI). The solder points are impossible to photograph, sorry. The fuse box, located behind the battery, is shown with the cover removed The horn fuse is third one down on the left, in position F-10.

Hope this helps, Tony

Thanks, I'm going to get those!

Haring
04-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Just installed the FIAMM horns from 500Madness. I love them. I can't say the same for the neighbors :D It does sound the same as the dual red horns. Wish there was a three horn option but this is much better than stock horn. I'd try to create an account on youtube to upload a video but it's exactly the same as the guy in the garage video. Thanks 500Madness!!!!

Va_alfiat
04-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Haring,
Please post the link to the YouTube video. I want to see how your horns sound compared to my trumpets.

Haring
04-25-2012, 11:17 PM
I used the original horn bracket. Had to have the hole drilled larger to fit the bolt.

And sorry for the sucky video. The iPhone original file was 11mb for a 5second video. I'll try and make a better one later:

http://youtu.be/5U7ILUNufKQ