PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody bought the Chrome Fuel Door yet?

buzzny
10-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Just curious if anyone has bought the chrome fuel door P/N: 82212507 yet and how's it look? Was it worth the $209? Easily installed?

cmj912
10-23-2011, 12:32 PM
No, but I have been looking at it, so I asked about installation. The parts rep at Fiat of South Jersey told me that it involves removing the inner fender well on the back of the car as well as putting it on a lift so that you can get the parts out easily. I am not sure how you'd be able to do that yourself if you were into the DIY but the guy said it was kinda involved...

SeaDawg
10-23-2011, 12:55 PM
No, but I have been looking at it, so I asked about installation. The parts rep at Fiat of South Jersey told me that it involves removing the inner fender well on the back of the car as well as putting it on a lift so that you can get the parts out easily. I am not sure how you'd be able to do that yourself if you were into the DIY but the guy said it was kinda involved...

Yeah, I think the installation is around $80.00 at a dealer.

Dwaynek
10-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Easy to install you don't have to take off the inner fender just remove a couple of the screws so you can get your hand in to remove bolts from the existing flap. Generally easy to install comes withvgood instructions and should take at most 30 minutes. Over priced but a nice addition to car!

500MADNESS.com
10-23-2011, 02:15 PM
We offer this door and can tell you that if you are a fan of chrome this door looks sharp! The quality is top notch and it looks really good. We first said "$200 for a door?", but when we got them in we agreed that it was much better looking and much better made then typical aftermarket doors.

When we install them at our shop we typically jack up the side of the car to remove the rear wheel, take off couple of screws that hold the plastic fender liner in. That gives us access to the inside of the fender and they we unscrew the old and put in the new. This is the easiest way for us and it takes about 30 minutes to do.

The end result is nice.

We stock the door and if we can help here is the direct product link:

http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=fuel&product_id=223

If you decide to install it yourself and need assistance we are always a phone call away (562-981-6800).

F500
10-24-2011, 10:30 AM
I would LOVE to have one but my wife thinks 'chrome' on my Sport might be a bit much and I kind of agee with her. "IF ONLY" someone would make the same cap with the 'bezel' part in Black (having it powercoated could be a possiblity) and leaving the 'cap' part chrome, that would look pretty cool, I think.

guess I need to look at a cap more closely and see how easily it may come apart for powdercoating purposes........

jessicatt
10-24-2011, 11:09 AM
I had a customer install this on a red pop. I think it looked great. We delived the car at night and it was under the lights and boy did it shine. It is totaly worth it.

Dwaynek
10-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Personally don't think that the chrome is out of place on the sport at all.

Bianco P Sport
10-24-2011, 06:36 PM
I have the chrome fuel door, and it looks great; and I get a lot of compliments. I've got a Sport in Bianco Perla and it actually looks good against the color of the car. I just have once issue with it however. I was told it would lock, and it does not. I've always liked the MINI S models, with the chrome fuel door, and this one is similar, but better looking. As 500Madness said, the quality is there.

what huh
10-25-2011, 07:39 PM
I had the chrome door put on grigio (or however you spell it)

It looks great against the dark gray metallic paint

fiat for life
10-28-2011, 02:26 PM
I just snapped these pics for you. Click on them to view the full size.

SeaDawg
10-28-2011, 05:49 PM
I just have once issue with it however. I was told it would lock, and it does not.

No, but after taking a look at the recent photos, it's only a replacement for the outer door and the gas cap which resides underneath can be replaced with one with a lock in it. I had hoped the original 'flap' would have had a tab on it that was engaged by an electric activated locking pin like on the MB cars, but, alas, it was just a 'flap'.

SeaDawg
11-11-2011, 07:32 PM
I had the door installed while in for the 1st oil change. It was $209 + $49.00 Labor + 6.5% sales tax...equal to approx $270 some odd dollars total. At least at Fields Fiat here in Orlando. They did put it on a lift and removed the right rear wheel during the install. Looks good, especially in the garage with the door shut from prying eyes.

sjmst
11-12-2011, 11:21 AM
I like

Nance Lee
11-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Mine is at the dealer getting put on as we speak! Glad to hear it looks great on the Bianco Perla - that's what I have. My red Audi TT has the chrome fuel lid and it looks so awesome, just had to pop for it on the Pop (no pun intended, really).

buzzny
11-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Mine is at the dealer getting put on as we speak! Glad to hear it looks great on the Bianco Perla - that's what I have. My red Audi TT has the chrome fuel lid and it looks so awesome, just had to pop for it on the Pop (no pun intended, really).

Hey Nance Lee, let me know if the fuel cap can actually rest someplace or does it touch the car body.
Thanks,
Buzz

vak9girl
11-19-2011, 08:26 AM

I think it looks fine on my car!

SeaDawg
11-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Hey Nance Lee, let me know if the fuel cap can actually rest someplace or does it touch the car body.
Thanks,
Buzz

I'm not Nance, but I had the opportunity to stop for gas earlier this week. There's enough of a gap between the filler neck of the gas tank and the opening of the chrome doo-dad to stick the cap in. The cap has like a nipple on it that screws into the filler neck and that will fit in the gap so you don't have to let the cap dangle. It's a little bit awkward but it would keep the cap from doing what you don't want it to do.:semi-twins:

cmj912
11-19-2011, 01:43 PM

I think it looks fine on my car!

It does. So do the black rims. How did that happen? You see it sometimes (I saw white ones too) but it doesn't seem to come as one of the standard variations.

Thad
11-20-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm thinking of using the chrome cap but getting it black anodized. I have a grigio PE and I thing the big chrome thing will stand out too much. Having it 'blackened' might look great.

SeaDawg
11-20-2011, 09:34 PM
I'm thinking of using the chrome cap but getting it black anodized. I have a grigio PE and I thing the big chrome thing will stand out too much. Having it 'blackened' might look great.

I haven't done a Sherlock Holmes on it yet, but it appears that for your $209.00 what you get is, at LEAST, partly PLASTIC, so I'm not sure you'll be able to anodize it.

Actually I think the chrome would look AWESOME on the Grigio. Grigio is such an understated formal color!

500ways
12-17-2011, 11:52 PM
I installed the door today. I have the Sport model in Bianco Perla tri-coat. I had been debating it for a few months. I am glad I decided to buy it and it looks great!! The quality is very good and it is a tasteful addition to my 500. I removed the rear wheel and it took roughly an hour to install it. I am mechanically inclined but not a professional auto mechanic. I like to take my time and do it right.

Thad
12-19-2011, 02:20 PM
The piece is all metal but anodizing is the wrong technical term for what I want to do with it. I have to educate myself on what the process is called.

epb
12-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Powdercoat?

buzzny
12-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Plated?

Nance Lee
12-20-2011, 12:57 PM
So Tonio is completely chromed out now: fuel door, mirror caps, hood spear (looks like he is wearing a tie), front bumper corners, back bumper accent, even door sills. Nothing left to chrome except maybe the gear knob :) He looks awesome!

janaheim
01-05-2012, 07:04 AM
I had the chrome door put on grigio (or however you spell it)

It looks great against the dark gray metallic paint

I have a Sport Grigio also. I would like to see how the chrome fuel door looks on it. Can you post picture(s). Thanks.

F500
01-05-2012, 10:08 PM
"Gumby" got his Chrome Gas Door for Christmas. looks really good. only thing I miss is a place to hang my gas cap from. I'll work on that.....see if I can come up with some kind of hook to attach inside the chrome door.

Fix it again Tony
02-02-2012, 09:43 PM
I looked at a chrome fuel door yesterday at the dealer, looked great from a distance but seemed pretty flimsy when I opened and shut it. And no lock? For $209 I would rather buy a part that increases performance. I put a similar one on my Jeep Rubicon last year which cost me $103, and I thought that was too much. But at least the one for my Jeep has a lock built in. I think I'll wait until more manufacturers enter the Fiat arena and a locking version appears.

janaheim
02-02-2012, 09:57 PM
We offer this door and can tell you that if you are a fan of chrome this door looks sharp! The quality is top notch and it looks really good. We first said "$200 for a door?", but when we got them in we agreed that it was much better looking and much better made then typical aftermarket doors.

When we install them at our shop we typically jack up the side of the car to remove the rear wheel, take off couple of screws that hold the plastic fender liner in. That gives us access to the inside of the fender and they we unscrew the old and put in the new. This is the easiest way for us and it takes about 30 minutes to do.

The end result is nice.

We stock the door and if we can help here is the direct product link:

http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=fuel&product_id=223

If you decide to install it yourself and need assistance we are always a phone call away (562-981-6800).

Do you have a lockable gas cap/fuel door?

SeaDawg
02-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Do you have a lockable gas cap/fuel door?

Probably. I have one in a MoPar box sitting on my pax seat. It's not a REAL sturdy lock assembly, but would probably deter somebody looking for a quick siphon. You DO lose your little tether because the lock is where the tether secures on the original cap. Cost is between $20-25 with tax included.

janaheim
02-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Probably. I have one in a MoPar box sitting on my pax seat. It's not a REAL sturdy lock assembly, but would probably deter somebody looking for a quick siphon. You DO lose your little tether because the lock is where the tether secures on the original cap. Cost is between $20-25 with tax included.

Thanks SeaDawg,

Just found it on Amazon for $19.95 plus shipping: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EZEPG6/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details.

Ciao,
John

Fix it again Tony
02-03-2012, 01:09 AM
I have a lockable fuel door on my Jeep, very nice, but not on the Fiat. I am looking at possibly modifying one to fit the 500, if I can mimic the slight body curve where the filler cover is located. Maybe one made of brushed aluminum?

buzzny
02-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Well since I was the one who started this thread way-back-when I figure it should be me to finally let everyone know that I finally got the chrome cap assembly.
But 1st you should get a little info on why I waited and also a funny side of it.
Bought the 500c Lounge on October 11th from a Studio who wasn't actually open yet. Had to wait several weeks before the paperwork was actually done but they let me take delivery on October 11th. Shortly after that I started to make my wishlist. All service and parts were handled out of their Chrysler dealership on the other side of town. I decided that I wanted them to get my parts/service business when they had their own departments setup because I trust them and have an excellent relationship with them. Early December I gave my salesperson my 1st wishlist and asked him to go ahead and get them for me. The Studios grand opening was December 20th. Yep about 2 1/2 months from when I bought and took delivery. Still no parts/service on site.
Today decided to stop and say 'hi' and found out that they just opened parts/service. My sales guy said to go and meet'em. Did, they already knew about me (in a good way). I asked if they were stocking the Fiat parts & yes! The parts manager said that he has had mine since December! Say what?!? So, my sales person gave the parts manager the wrong phone number for me and they have been leaving messages to someone else for over a month. Gave me a discount on all. Sweet.
Went over to service, introduced myself and they already knew about me (again, in a good way). Now, when I signed I took the $500 and opted out of the 3/36 service. They knew and said when ready bring it on in for free service!
Went home installed the cap (BTW- that thing is very complimentary to the rest of the Lounge's chrome it should be part of the Lounge package). To me, it is worth it. Quality.Please pardon the New Mexico dust on the fender, but the constant sunshine here offsets the dealing with the dust.
Ciao,
Buzz (Jeff)
PS - That's my dog Vlad in the reflection!

500ways
02-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Well since I was the one who started this thread way-back-when I figure it should be me to finally let everyone know that I finally got the chrome cap assembly.
But 1st you should get a little info on why I waited and also a funny side of it.
Bought the 500c Lounge on October 11th from a Studio who wasn't actually open yet. Had to wait several weeks before the paperwork was actually done but they let me take delivery on October 11th. Shortly after that I started to make my wishlist. All service and parts were handled out of their Chrysler dealership on the other side of town. I decided that I wanted them to get my parts/service business when they had their own departments setup because I trust them and have an excellent relationship with them. Early December I gave my salesperson my 1st wishlist and asked him to go ahead and get them for me. The Studios grand opening was December 20th. Yep about 2 1/2 months from when I bought and took delivery. Still no parts/service on site.
Today decided to stop and say 'hi' and found out that they just opened parts/service. My sales guy said to go and meet'em. Did, they already knew about me (in a good way). I asked if they were stocking the Fiat parts & yes! The parts manager said that he has had mine since December! Say what?!? So, my sales person gave the parts manager the wrong phone number for me and they have been leaving messages to someone else for over a month. Gave me a discount on all. Sweet.
Went over to service, introduced myself and they already knew about me (again, in a good way). Now, when I signed I took the $500 and opted out of the 3/36 service. They knew and said when ready bring it on in for free service!
Went home installed the cap (BTW- that thing is very complimentary to the rest of the Lounge's chrome it should be part of the Lounge package). To me, it is worth it. Quality.Please pardon the New Mexico dust on the fender, but the constant sunshine here offsets the dealing with the dust.
Ciao,
Buzz (Jeff)

Looks nice!!

janaheim
02-11-2012, 01:08 AM
Ciao,
Buzz (Jeff)

Hi Jeff,

Nice picture of the chrome cap and nice car. I see you call your car scimmia. That made my day, my mom used to call my sister that when she got angry at her! Take care.

Ciao,
John

Tico
04-02-2012, 02:13 PM
I have the chrome fuel door, and it looks great; and I get a lot of compliments. I've got a Sport in Bianco Perla and it actually looks good against the color of the car. I just have once issue with it however. I was told it would lock, and it does not. I've always liked the MINI S models, with the chrome fuel door, and this one is similar, but better looking. As 500Madness said, the quality is there.

What do you mean about the chrome door not locking? Let me see if I understand: Even with the car all locked, this door wouldn't be locked? Would you post a photo for us to see how nice it looks?! I love adding chrome to the 500.

Tico
04-02-2012, 02:33 PM

What do you mean about the chrome door not locking? Let me see if I understand: Even with the car all locked, this door wouldn't be locked? Would you post a photo for us to see how nice it looks?! I love adding chrome to the 500.

Tico
04-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Post pictures of the beauty, please! All sides, specially the one with the chrome fuel door!

Tico
04-02-2012, 02:38 PM
I had a customer install this on a red pop. I think it looked great. We delived the car at night and it was under the lights and boy did it shine. It is totaly worth it.

Please, post pictures of the new fuel door!!! Thanks!

Tico
04-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Could you take other pictures of the car (other views) so that we could see the whole beauty of the chrome fuel door? This one is nice, but doesn't show much of how it looks on the car. Thanks!

MADNESSMIKE
04-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Here are a number of pictures of the fuel door.

http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/image/cache/data/OEM%20FIAT%20Parts/FIAT%20500%20Chrome%20Fuel%20Door%20Blue-500x500.jpg

http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/image/cache/data/OEM%20FIAT%20Parts/fuel%20door%20white%201-500x500.jpg

http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/image/cache/data/OEM%20FIAT%20Parts/Fuel%20Door%20Box%201-500x500.jpg

luckymoi
04-03-2012, 03:35 PM
no hook to hang the gas cap like the original?

F500
04-03-2012, 04:41 PM
"Gumby" got his Chrome Gas Door for Christmas. looks really good. only thing I miss is a place to hang my gas cap from. I'll work on that.....see if I can come up with some kind of hook to attach inside the chrome door.

WELL......the Chrome Gas Cap is not looking so good now. at some point, the "500" emblem in the center fell off. good news is that first, the area underneath the emblem is stamped with a "500" as well, so now its just all chrome. second, its UNDER WARRANTY! just haven't decided if I want it replaced or not. I'll try and post pics tonight for you to give me some feedback.

Dwaynek
04-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Nope no hook to hang gas cap on

buzzny
04-04-2012, 07:17 PM
I found that the tether is long enough that the cap will dangle just below the top edge of the wheel well. the cap does not touch the paint, just a small section of the tether (at the lip of the body). It is well made and a real eye catcher.

Fiat411
05-01-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm wondering if they'll make one for the Abarth?

stevenvillatoro
05-30-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm wondering if they'll make one for the Abarth?Euro Abarths have them. But today I decided that I prefer the 500 logo for my Abarth. Why? Well, I think I have enough Abarth and scorpions on my car already... starting to lose count. The 500 logo appears on the rear license plate housing and on the door sills, so another on the fuel door will work out fine. Paid a "relatively" cheap $177 by searching online.

mneuman916
06-23-2012, 04:04 PM
I have a Sport Grigio also. I would like to see how the chrome fuel door looks on it. Can you post picture(s). Thanks.

Ask and ye shall recieve - months later anyway! :-D

wildeyed
07-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Just an update: I was doing a thorough spring cleaning this weekend only to find that the black centre cap on the fuel door was peeling off. What I thought was paint or powdercoat black was, in fact, a decal! I've washed the car exactly 3 times in a year so it hasn't exactly been scrubbed off. I stuck it back down with some superglue but it's marred now. Kinda shoddy for a CAN $300.00 accessory MOPAR! Keep your eyes open for it, people.

SeaDawg
07-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Just an update: I was doing a thorough spring cleaning this weekend only to find that the black centre cap on the fuel door was peeling off. What I thought was paint or powdercoat black was, in fact, a decal! I've washed the car exactly 3 times in a year so it hasn't exactly been scrubbed off. I stuck it back down with some superglue but it's marred now. Kinda shoddy for a CAN $300.00 accessory MOPAR! Keep your eyes open for it, people.

While ours are cheaper down here, $209.00, it's still expensive. I will submit it is the exposure to the environment that causes the black decal to delaminate. My car has been washed probably twice as often as yours in the last year, And I'll concede my weather probably isn't as extreme as yours temperature wise. BUT my car stays in a garage most of the time. The black decal is still firmly in place.

MADNESSMIKE
07-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Ask and ye shall recieve - months later anyway! :-D

Looking good!

Berliner
07-27-2012, 02:37 AM
HHm Kids now you made me think i love Chrome but $200.00 for a Fuel Door....... ??? I have my Heart set on new 17 Wheels from Madness...... So Wheels and Tyres 1st . Than the Door.. Btw would somebody pls be so kind and post some Pics....

Even slowed down on my Beer drinking just so i can get them Wheels faster. LOL

MADNESSMIKE
07-27-2012, 01:54 PM
HHm Kids now you made me think i love Chrome but $200.00 for a Fuel Door....... ??? I have my Heart set on new 17 Wheels from Madness...... So Wheels and Tyres 1st . Than the Door.. Btw would somebody pls be so kind and post some Pics....

haha priorities wheels > beer

mneuman916
07-27-2012, 08:12 PM

Fortunately I snagged mine from a forum member new in box for $125 shipped!

stevenvillatoro
07-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Returned mine to the vendor. Fortunately!

mneuman916
07-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Returned mine to the vendor.

Uhhh.... care to elaborate?

stevenvillatoro
07-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Bugged me that Mopar promoted the fuel door's "easy" installation, failing to disclose that after spending $200 you needed to remove a wheel and fender liner. Found better things to do with my $200.

mneuman916
07-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Bugged me that Mopar promoted the fuel door's "easy" installation, failing to disclose that after spending $200 you needed to remove a wheel and fender liner. Found better things to do with my $200.

Ahhh gotcha. It would be nice if the installation directions were readily available. Fortunately for me - I was fully aware of what I was getting in to. Installation wasn't anywhere near as complex as it sounded...

stevenvillatoro
07-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Installation wasn't anywhere near as complex as it sounded...Nothing I couldn't handle, except that my tools are in storage and I'm away from home for the next year. Here's a sample of promo text, "15 minute install time with basic tools." A little misleading.

mneuman916
07-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Nothing I couldn't handle, except that my tools are in storage and I'm away from home for the next year. Here's a sample of promo text, "15 minute install time with basic tools." A little misleading.

I'd call that EXTREMELY misleading!