PDA

View Full Version : Service information and parts?

Luis A.
10-18-2011, 12:03 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering buying a 500 Lounge and I'm looking for sources of service information since I do all the service on my cars and would like to know what this feels like under the hood before we buy.

I look forward to contributing in the future!

Luis

Fiat500USA
10-18-2011, 12:29 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering buying a 500 Lounge and I'm looking for sources of service information since I do all the service on my cars and would like to know what this feels like under the hood before we buy.

I look forward to contributing in the future!

Luis

Welcome to the forum!

Manuals will be available on the Tech Authority website here (https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/Home.aspx). There is a free body manual online there.

Currently, the repair manual that is online is available only as a subscription and is probably more suited for a shop. A more consumer oriented manual may be available later.

F500
10-18-2011, 05:22 AM
I ran across a post wordede very similar to this on another forum. :anonymous:

just in case you didn't know, the 500 comes with FREE maintenance for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles. if you're looking for parts, there are many aftermarket companies that handle accessories along with a few OE parts, but your best bet for replacement parts is your local FIAT Studio. :)

Dwaynek
10-18-2011, 06:58 AM
Unfortunately no free maintenance in Canada!

Have Trumpet Will Travel
10-18-2011, 07:05 AM
Be advised that these new vehicles have to be elevated to change the oil because the protective "skid-pan" needs to be removed ( 6 bolts) to access the drain plug. I'll have the dealer perform my first few oil changes and then do it myself.

Fiat500USA
10-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Be advised that these new vehicles have to be elevated to change the oil because the protective "skid-pan" needs to be removed ( 6 bolts) to access the drain plug. I'll have the dealer perform my first few oil changes and then do it myself.

You can use an oil extractor and avoid that. Makes changing the oil much less of a hassle.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-t80SZzgeQtg/Tp1uwVa-92I/AAAAAAAAJro/4JJHFr03obk/s640/Fiat500USA-Fiat_500_Oil_Change%252520016.JPG

Luis A.
10-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the great replies!

Very useful link at Tech Authority but all I see are Owner's Manuals. I'm looking for a service/workshop "manual". I realize it's likely electronic in format but it has to be out there.

I am aware of the 3/36,000 free maintenance, however, I would like to perform oil changes and other service myself, for instance, more frequent oil changes (and lifting the car and removing covers is no big deal as that seems to be the case with just about every modern automobile), and in general understand the car and its technology at a deeper level. Clearly some of that information is out there as evidenced by all the great posts on the parent website of this forum on the engine technology, etc. What is the source of all that?

In regards to parts, I've found some of the suppliers that have some very nice aftermarket parts and accessories along with select OEM parts but I have yet to find a parts catalog that will help me identify a given part and a place an order online. I imagine that is just my local dealer for now but I imagine in time some dealers will set up an online presence for parts as you can find for others such as Honda, BMW and Audi, which I own and buy parts for that way.

Thanks again guys!

Luis A.
10-18-2011, 02:30 PM
OK, so the owner's manual indicates that there are service manuals and diagnostic procedures manuals. Upon searching on TechAuthority.com a bit more thoroughly, I found two self study modules on "Maintenance" (oil change and tire rotation) and a "New Model Introduction" which goes over functional details of many systems and subsystems but nothing on service or diagnostic procedures. These are a pricey $195 each which isn't really worth it, at least for me, but a complete factory service manual for $195 would be int he range of other such offerings. I called the 800 number and not surprisingly they indicated they don't have any service manuals...

Have Trumpet Will Travel
10-24-2011, 12:47 AM
Turns out that the dealer won't be doing my oil changes, I'll be doing them myself which I don't mind at all. The $500 saved will fund a lot of oil changes and I will use my shop as usual. The oil extractors are generally used for boats that have inboard/ stern-drive set-ups. I have always said it is most important that the oil be changed, not that you have to get every drop out. Same goes for letting oil drain for long periods, I believe the quicker (and drier) the better. In high-humidity conditions as the hot oil drains from the bottom humid air enters through the filler cap opening so logic would suggest in some ways that the extractor method is in fact an excellent choice. It may sound a bit excessive, but I always measure the amount of oil drained to monitor usage. If you add 5 quarts, drive 3,000 miles and only recover 4 quarts (including filter) there could be a problem. HTWT

Bladecutter
10-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Same goes for letting oil drain for long periods, I believe the quicker (and drier) the better. In high-humidity conditions as the hot oil drains from the bottom humid air enters through the filler cap opening so logic would suggest in some ways that the extractor method is in fact an excellent choice.

Your logic fails you.

The engine is not a 100% vacuum sealed unit.
There are more entry paths for air than just the oil fill port, and the drain port.

That humid air you fear is still getting into the motor, it just comes from other sources.

Here are a few examples:

Intake system - from the air box through the throttle body past the intake valves, into the combustion chamber, past the oil rings, into the crankcase.
Intake system - from the air box into the PCV system, into the crankcase.
Exhaust system - from the tailpipe, past the muffler, past the catalytic convertor through the headers past the exhaust valves into the combustion chambers past the oil rings into the crankcase.

So, humid air still gets into your engine.
The important thing is that as soon as the engine gets above 212 degrees while you are driving it, all that moisture evaporates, and gets sucked into the PCV system. No more humidity in your engine.

So, its a non-issue that you are worried about.

Unless of course, you're a person who when doing an oil change, removes the hood of the car, removes the air box, and removes the valve cover in order to pour the engine oil into the motor, while its raining, outside in the open. Then, you might have higher humidity levels inside your engine than a typical owner would. Oh, and you've got serious issues. :)

BC.

Fiat500USA
10-27-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the great replies!

Very useful link at Tech Authority but all I see are Owner's Manuals. I'm looking for a service/workshop "manual". I realize it's likely electronic in format but it has to be out there.

I am aware of the 3/36,000 free maintenance, however, I would like to perform oil changes and other service myself, for instance, more frequent oil changes (and lifting the car and removing covers is no big deal as that seems to be the case with just about every modern automobile), and in general understand the car and its technology at a deeper level. Clearly some of that information is out there as evidenced by all the great posts on the parent website of this forum on the engine technology, etc. What is the source of all that?

In regards to parts, I've found some of the suppliers that have some very nice aftermarket parts and accessories along with select OEM parts but I have yet to find a parts catalog that will help me identify a given part and a place an order online. I imagine that is just my local dealer for now but I imagine in time some dealers will set up an online presence for parts as you can find for others such as Honda, BMW and Audi, which I own and buy parts for that way.

Thanks again guys!

Hi Luis,

I'm sorry I missed your post. At the moment, the current Fiat 500 service manual is part of a subscription service aimed at professionals. It covers all of Chrysler products (regrettably, the subscriptions are expensive):

https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/ItemListing.aspx?CatID=3092

I have seen some vehicle specific, DIY type manuals for other Chrysler products, so that *may* happen at some point. I'll try to get an answer on that the next time I talk to someone there. My thinking is as we go along, more and more information will be available. The 500 has technically been on sale only 8 months.

The images on my sites are provided by Fiat SpA and Chrysler LLC. They are used with their permission.

demonpoodle
10-29-2011, 12:04 PM
So if I understand correctly, there is no printed factory service manual currently in circulation to the public? I'd assume the service department has something like that... someone needs to get a hold of that and make a PDF.

Bladecutter
10-30-2011, 12:02 PM
So if I understand correctly, there is no printed factory service manual currently in circulation to the public? I'd assume the service department has something like that... someone needs to get a hold of that and make a PDF.

That sounds like you are recommending someone violate copyright laws.
I know you can't possibly be recommending that a Chrysler Fiat employee do that, now can you?

BC.

demonpoodle
10-30-2011, 09:59 PM
... Ok Ok I get it.

the FSM for my 7 was the best thing i got my hands and that's freely distributed, i mean the Mazda dealers don't even know whats under the hood so its kinda necessary, but then again the car has been out of production for years too... guess this is a bit of a different case.

so let me rephrase that, I'm assuming it is not currently possible to purchase a FSM from fiat/Chrysler at the moment?