PDA

View Full Version : Front License Plate Mount

WIBOB
10-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Just want to let you know that if you need to have the front license plate in your state (WI does) and do not want to deface the front of your 500 there is a license plate mount that you can buy that just bolts right on to the front with existing bolts. I got it from 500 MADNESS and it is the "Platypus" $60.00. It looks good and is an easy installation. I was at the Fiat dealer today and all the staff (Sales, Mechanics General Manager) were out looking at it and asking me where I got it. I think they were jealous :). 500 MADNESS is great place to get Fiat stuff from.

500MADNESS.com
10-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Just want to let you know that if you need to have the front license plate in your state (WI does) and do not want to deface the front of your 500 there is a license plate mount that you can buy that just bolts right on to the front with existing bolts. I got it from 500 MADNESS and it is the "Platypus" $60.00. It looks good and is an easy installation. I was at the Fiat dealer today and all the staff (Sales, Mechanics General Manager) were out looking at it and asking me where I got it. I think they were jealous :). 500 MADNESS is great place to get Fiat stuff from.

Glad you liked it! Thank you for mentioning the product and our store. :-)

Terry
10-17-2011, 02:57 PM
It's funny. My dealer told me that " about half the people who take delivery are leaving the front plate off." (This is Illinois where a front plate is required) and I looked at that virgin front end and just didn't want to put holes in it, so figured maybe this law is not strictly enforced...and that I could probably talk myself out of it anyway since the plate was in the trunk...Well, yesterday in Stone Park (nice name, eh?) was pulled over by a cop whose first comment was "This is the J-Lo car, isn't it?" --Then gave me a choice of an administrative fine of $50 or a regular ticket with court costs of $150 (Think he might have been B.S.ing me on that one)---Oh well, on Sunday I took out the template and put the bloody thing on and then today I read about your special bracket...........CÚst la guerre!
Terry

WIBOB
10-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Terry

Sorry that you had to drill into your 500. I was going to try and get away from putting on the front plate but I was starting to get a lot of looks by law enforcement and figured that my time was just about up. I wenet searcing for someething and found the plate mount and ordered it right away. What is strange is that in WI dealer plates are only on the back so what's the diff if we only have them on the back. I have never been chased going backwads by the local law enforcement:)

FiatGusto
10-17-2011, 09:37 PM
I too reluctantly had to mount my front plate but I used the Fiat bracket given to me by my dealer.
Actually, I am very pleased with the result. I especially like the fact that the design of the Fiat mount fits the exact
contour of the front bumper area. And, it is in the middle of the car. I am sure the Platypus works well too, but every
car I have ever owned in Oregon had a bumper mounted bracket with holes and I learned to accept it as it was. I do
recommend trial mounting the plate to the bracket before mounting the bracket to the car.
Worked for me.

cmj912
10-18-2011, 10:10 AM
All of the 500s sold here have been "pre-defaced" meaning they install the brackets at the dealer; you don't get a choice.
Actually come to think of it they do that to all automobiles here. You'd probably have had to order a 500 and tell them NOT to prep it with the bracket when it comes in in order to get one to use a Platypus on.

WIBOB
10-18-2011, 06:35 PM
My dealer does not want to "deface" the front end of the 500. Before they deliver them, they ask the customer if they want the front plate installed and they tell them what the consequences are if it is not there. It is up the the customer to say yes or no. I said no and then had to find a solution. They did give me the front black piece of plastic for the license plate if I changed my mind once I got home.

newcastle
10-19-2011, 01:41 PM
It is unlikely that I will be moving to a state that doesn't require to have a front mounted plate. Why wouldn't you go with the dealer/FIAT installed placement bracket assembly. Just my opinion but installing this aftermarket bracket looks like the original broke off and you had to place it somewhere different for mounting purposes. I would rather have the bracket centered on the front then on the bottom off centered where the likelyhood of the plate getting damage with ground items is more likely.

WIBOB
10-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Newcastle

I only have about a year and a half in this sate and will be moving to a state that does not require a front plate. I also did not like the look of that big black chunk in the middle of the front end.

newcastle
10-19-2011, 07:45 PM
There's plenty of other plates to put on the front if I happen to move to a state where it is not required. Big black chunk? Its the size of a license plate. Why would I change the symmetrical appearance of the front with a plate that is mounted off centered near the ground?
One could also change the American plate bracket to a European styled one (if it was no longer needed) and get one of those fake euro plates so they can imagine and make people believe that the car actually drove in Europe.

cmj912
10-19-2011, 08:58 PM
There's plenty of other plates to put on the front if I happen to move to a state where it is not required. Big black chunk? Its the size of a license plate. Why would I change the symmetrical appearance of the front with a plate that is mounted off centered near the ground?
One could also change the American plate bracket to a European styled one (if it was no longer needed) and get one of those fake euro plates so they can imagine and make people believe that the car actually drove in Europe.

I've always thought that's what I'd do - add a Euro front plate - if I didn't have to have a front one. I had either a pretty good fake (although they said it was real) Japanese plate for my Fit and it really did look kind of cool.

But since the holes are already drilled in the bumper there's no going back for us. Maybe at some point I'll do that; the other option I've always liked is the plate with the 70s/80s FIAT logo with the four forward blocks.

fltrplntman
02-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Has anyone thought of a vinyl decal of the license plate?

fltrplntman
03-22-2012, 09:32 PM
I've always thought that's what I'd do - add a Euro front plate - if I didn't have to have a front one. I had either a pretty good fake (although they said it was real) Japanese plate for my Fit and it really did look kind of cool.

But since the holes are already drilled in the bumper there's no going back for us. Maybe at some point I'll do that; the other option I've always liked is the plate with the 70s/80s FIAT logo with the four forward blocks.

I mounted my front license plate without drilling the bumper. I used 2 moly (or toggle) bolts to mount the bracket to the lower grille section.

http://www.floridatoolandfastener.com/images/C/4104_300-01-01.jpg

3 inches is the maximum length you need.Just find the center of the grille, and find the center of the bracket, install the toggle bolts with the winged nut towards the end of the bolt. with the center lines lined up.. push the toggles through the closest hole in the top row of the holes in the grille. Tighten with a screw driver.
Install license plate..
All done.

FiatGusto
03-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Very ingenious! Good job.

500ways
03-22-2012, 09:54 PM
I mounted my front license plate without drilling the bumper. I used 2 moly (or toggle) bolts to mount the bracket to the lower grille section.

http://www.floridatoolandfastener.com/images/C/4104_300-01-01.jpg

3 inches is the maximum length you need.Just find the center of the grille, and find the center of the bracket, install the toggle bolts with the winged nut towards the end of the bolt. with the center lines lined up.. push the toggles through the closest hole in the top row of the holes in the grille. Tighten with a screw driver.
Install license plate..
All done.

Can you post a picture of the finished product?

fltrplntman
03-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Can you post a picture of the finished product?

If I get a chance.. I'll post a step by step.

ahh-bert
07-15-2012, 03:20 AM
I'm worried about blocking all the air flow in the front of the car. Will putting the license plate thingie on there block the air? Is it going to be in front of it? How much air does the car actually need?

Pinecone
07-15-2012, 07:09 AM
It will block some airflow. How much you need depends on how hard to you drive the car and how hot the weather is.

One place has a plate bracket that retracts under the car. So when you get stopped, push the button, and the plate is there. :)

Another thing I saw on a Sube one time, he folded the plate over the lower lip of the grill opening. So it was on the front of the car, it was visible, but it was very unobtrusive. :)

Fiat Boy
07-15-2012, 09:59 AM
I convinced myself that installing a color matching license plate bracket with the license plate behind a clear plastic cover would look about as good as you can get. Here is a picture of what I did:

I got the frame from hot fiat.com. The plates come in various colors. I tried to match the color of my car, but my Fiat isn't quite red, and it's not quite purple, and it's not quite maroon. I don't know what color it is. looks nice though. lol

Fiat Boy

alittle1
09-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Why not just use double -back tape. Simple. easy to attach, no holes.

DCAbarth
09-03-2012, 10:29 AM
I meant to post these the other month, but had some issues uploading photos then. Here is the manual retractable front plate holder that I picked up from 500madness. The studio installed it for me for $10. It functions and looks great, but do keep in mind its makes the front end clearance even less, so if you're required to drive over steep inclines daily, the plate will hit ground. Not really an issue for me, but I have heard it hit two or three times.

Pinecone
09-03-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't see the issue.

If you are going to run the front plate, what does it matter to have holes are not, they are not seen.

If you aren't going to run the front plate, then don't.

Rick Hunter
09-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Here's yet another option... Skene Design

Center mounted brackets just under the lip, it's difficult to notice:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8456/7910888144_0f73081223_b.jpg

It comes as metal brackets but I blacked them out prior to install. Here's a close-up:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8319/7910890500_97e8f122bc_b.jpg

And with a plate on:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8311/7910890374_ba8a6c9b8b_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8301/7910890086_8222df29b7_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8300/7910890224_685a41cf23_b.jpg