PDA

View Full Version : Homelink Mirror & LED Dome Light

mynsxs
10-13-2011, 04:43 PM
451 452

mirror from eBay for $50
LED light from eBay for $10

total installation time about 1 hr.. I don't have time to hardwire the mirror yet... so only hook it up with the cigarette lighter power plug

SpidArman
10-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Was the mount for the mirror a standard one? Do you see your head in the mirror reflection? The stock mirror is pretty narrow. Were you able to find a mirror model that was narrower than most?

Thanks.

Arman

mynsxs
10-17-2011, 08:26 PM

Yes, the mount is the standard one. You can see the difference between the stock and homelink mirror I got from the pic.

talindsay
02-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Zombie resurrection...

So I had a lounge loaner from my dealer today while they installed my block heater, and it had an auto-dimming mirror. I'm used to an auto-dimming homelink mirror with a compass from my Mazda, and Fiat doesn't offer one, but I see they can be acquired from Amazon pretty cheap.

I'm thinking since Fiat provides the auto-dimming variety with the Lounge, all the right wires must already be present in the overhead light enclosure, no? It takes three wires: ground, continuous 12V, and ignition-switched 12V. Can anybody confirm whether or not they're all present in a Sport without a sunroof?

The links to the models on Amazon are:
http://www.amazon.com/Gentex-GENK41A-Auto-Dimming-Mirror-Homelink/dp/B002Z63H5M/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/184-1445367-4340151
http://www.amazon.com/Gentex-GENK45a-dimming-HomeLink-compass/dp/B001OTMSMO/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1329875093&sr=1-4

flopes
03-20-2012, 08:49 AM
I'm interested in applying this mod, too. Can anyone confirm what wires are already present in the overhead light console in a Sport without a sun roof?

will_solo
08-27-2012, 01:50 AM
Hey guys, sorry to bring back this thread but how hard (or easy) was it to remove the dome light?

Pinecone
08-27-2012, 09:43 AM
From previous threads on this, no, the wiring is not present.

But it is not that hard to run the two wires (ground can be picked up up there).

Leasdaddy
08-28-2012, 05:34 PM
It is not hard to remove the dome light. It comes out as a unit with two removable connections easily detached. The unit has tabs on one side (towards the front of the car) and metal spring clips on the other (towards the back). I have read a couple ways to do it, but I had the best luck sliding a thin, stiff plastic tool (I used my wife's skillet scraper) and slide it between the headliner and dome light to disengage the clips one at a time as you gently pull down on the back of the unit. Once the metal clips are disengaged, the back will drop, gently pull towards you and plop, out it comes. One wire attached is the power to the light and the other is for, I believe, the blue tooth microphone inside the unit (the wire is foam wrapped).

I replaced my stock bulbs with LED panels to get better light, and I was going to do a nice write-up with pictures. I had everything ready, but noticed that the LEDs stayed faintly lit unless the dome light was manually turned off. LEDs use next to no juice, so draining the battery SHOULD not be an issue, but it just seems wrong to me so I switch it off till I need it and can work out a fix with a multimeter and resistors and, well, I am slightly over my head. I may still do that write-up, but only after I get everything worked out. Sorry I ramble, but I hope this helps.

Rick Hunter
09-02-2012, 10:52 PM
I was able to source all of the power (switched, constant, ground) from the overhead console. Luckily I had the sunroof wires (switched) to allow for a super quick install without fishing wires.

Radi0chik
09-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Will check your inbox

azrick
02-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Do you still have the vendor information for the mirror you bought? Thanx.

451 452

mirror from eBay for $50
LED light from eBay for $10

total installation time about 1 hr.. I don't have time to hardwire the mirror yet... so only hook it up with the cigarette lighter power plug

Kurumi
02-05-2014, 11:43 AM
I bought a similar mirror off ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Amber-Gentex-Homelink-Compass-Auto-Dim-Mirror-Kit-/171234662064?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item27de6196b0&vxp=mtr. They've gone up in price for a while now.

JoeB
02-05-2014, 01:08 PM
I bought a similar mirror off ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Amber-Gentex-Homelink-Compass-Auto-Dim-Mirror-Kit-/171234662064?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item27de6196b0&vxp=mtr. They've gone up in price for a while now.

How did the installation go for you? Did it plug-n-play into your Abarth without much hassle?

Kurumi
02-05-2014, 01:18 PM
How did the installation go for you? Did it plug-n-play into your Abarth without much hassle?

It was a bit of work. Wiring requires constant 12v for homelink and regular 12v (off the dome lights) for the compass and autodim. You will need to get a keystone from Napa that fits the mirror since the stock one is too narrow for the new mirror.

Tweak
02-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Do you still have the vendor information for the mirror you bought? Thanx.

Welcome to the forum.