PDA

View Full Version : Loud engine

Ladyfiat
10-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Anyone think that the Fiat 500 sport is a little loud when idling?

Bruce McClure
10-02-2011, 06:53 PM
I haven't noticed it as any louder than any other car I've owned.

Ladyfiat
10-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Sounds almost like a diesel engine

Chris
10-03-2011, 07:27 AM
It's a little loud/has a bit of low frequency too it. Nothing egregious however.

cmj912
10-03-2011, 08:37 AM
I think it sounds a bit like it is growling, which in my experience with European subcompacts (and Italian ones in particular) is not unusual.
It could just be the way I 'hear' but having experienced a number of different small cars in my time I find that depending on the source of the engine design the sound of it is almost similar in 'heritage'...ie Europe versus USA versus Asia.

My parents Alfa and the Fiat 124 a distant cousin had when I was growing up had similar-sounding "growly" Italian engines if entirely different in the nature of their performance.

But I digress. No, I don't find the 500s engine loud especially considering its class/size.

MrFiat
10-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Personally, I found the "growly" engine note to be one of the most endearing aspects of the 500. Surely the car has lots of over-all appeal, but for me, the sound of the engine is quite close to the top of the list.

Terry
10-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Sounds almost like a diesel engine

A bit like a London cabby to me---Maybe the Multiair set-up is the reason???

Terry

PFVA63
10-03-2011, 05:08 PM
I haven't noticed it as any louder than any other car I've owned.

Hi,

I only have a Pop, but I agree it doesn't seem very load to me.

Regards

Pat

luckymoi
10-03-2011, 05:25 PM
In the garage?
Inside the car or outside?
do you have any warning lights on ?
Did you check the oil?
Only when its COLD?
Is it a recent change?
What octane gas?
Have you ever driven a car with this size engine? 1368 is small... Compared to my other car 3500 V6... the cinquecento does rattle a bit I suppose.
As it has the marvelous warranty coverage I worry about nothing except limiting my lecture on the virtues of the car when people notice it, lol!

Scorpion
10-18-2011, 01:57 AM
That diesel-like sound is the byproduct of the GDI engine. Some manufacturers are combating it by engineering more sophisticated engine covers that acoustically deaden the sound.

You can learn more about GDI here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_direct_injection

Fiat500USA
10-18-2011, 09:15 AM
That diesel-like sound is the byproduct of the GDI engine. Some manufacturers are combating it by engineering more sophisticated engine covers that acoustically deaden the sound.

You can learn more about GDI here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_direct_injection

Cool link. Currently though, the 500 doesn't have direct injection. The US 500 has a special engine cover that does dampen the noise more compared with the Euro version. There is a valvetrain noise, no doubt from MultiAir. Something to get used to, but much less noise than the valves on my GTV6.

Scorpion
10-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Cool link. Currently though, the 500 doesn't have direct injection. The US 500 has a special engine cover that does dampen the noise more compared with the Euro version. There is a valvetrain noise, no doubt from MultiAir. Something to get used to, but much less noise than the valves on my GTV6.

Thanks for the correction. I've got egg on my face! After delving into the specifics of the Multiair further, I now realize it does not utilize GDI. I have driven several GDI-engined cars recently, and the noise sounded so similar.

Fiat500USA
10-18-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the correction. I've got egg on my face! After delving into the specifics of the Multiair further, I now realize it does not utilize GDI. I have driven several GDI-engined cars recently, and the noise sounded so similar.

No worries, you are among friends. I felt the same way when I assumed the US car had a spare like the Euro car. :highly_amused: LOL

ciddyguy
10-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Another really cool sound are those found on Honda CVCC motors, they sound like a well tuned sewing machine!

I had a 1983 1500, CVCC motor based Civic and loved to just stand there with the hood up after an oil change listening to it purr like a sewing machine while checking for leaks and such.

In the car at least, I didn't notice the motor much at all at idle, but when you rev it up, that growl from the sport tuned exhaust does makes itself a tad known but never egregious.