PDA

View Full Version : It IS the brand of premium gas...

rtwolfe
09-27-2011, 04:45 PM
At least in Minnesota. I never looked closely at the octane rating on the pump before. In another post I mentioned I was running with Superamerica premium and then, by chance, put in a full tank of BP. It was a big difference. Now i know why. Just did an informal survey of local stations. See below.

BP 93
Superamerica, Mobil, Freedom 92
Shell, Holiday 91

BP had the best octane. Guess I am a BP customer from now on.

Ciao.

Chris
09-27-2011, 05:20 PM
That's not a statement of quality, just octane level. All gas is largely the same as it arrives from the distributor. Cheaper gas usually means fewer or cheaper additives in the tanker truck or station's tanks. Company's choose what octane to sell based on marketing pressures: how they think Octane will help or hinder sales at a location.

The difference between 88 octane and 93 octane a driver will notice. The difference between 92 and 93 is generally agreed to be imperceptible to most and only fractionally different in heat units/mpg.

And with that in mind and realizing that none of the petroleum companies are particularly "saintly", I'll avoid BP for the disaster and how they handled it.

LyraJayne
09-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Unfortunately, it's never the brand in CA unless one of the various detergents works better in your car. I do avoid companies who have policies I find repellent or reprehensible - unfortunately, that's quite a few.