PDA

View Full Version : Faster Fiat - Anyone else running with these options? What's your experience?

rtwolfe
09-24-2011, 01:18 AM
Man do I love this car. Have been trying to coax more acceleration out of my manual Pop. I just finished a 'joy ride' tonight and was literally amazed at how much zip and power the Fiat has now. I put the throttle down hard and it just flies past the traffic. My most recent changes were the High Flow Drop In air filter and the Mobile 1 oil. Hope someone else has the same configuration - If you do, please share what you are experiencing.

Here's what I think it takes to have a much Faster Fiat. Details further below.
1. Manual Transmission
2. Sport button on
3. Shift at high RPMs
4. High Flow Drop In air filter
5. Mobile 1 motor oil
6. Right brand of Premium Gas - Currently am using BP or Shell Premium gas

Manual Transmission - The only way to drive, if you want speed and acceleration.

I have used a shift most of my life so it's natural to me. Once I'm familiar with a car, I shift by sound not by tach. I've had my new Fiat in the shop for a couple fixes and driven a loaner Lounge. Seriously, I can't get any punch from the automatic - with sport on and with Dualogic shifting on. The Lounge just jerked through the gears for me. No smooth transition and the 'sling shot' effect, that tosses you forward, when you get the manual shifting working well.

Sport Button - We all know it helps by tightening the throttle response, etc.

Shifting at High RPM. 4000 to 6000. Thorough discussion earlier (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?3793-How-hard-to-you-drive-your-Fiat&highlight=hard) - lousy MPG but lots of fun.

High Flow Drop In Air Filter - I got mine from 500 Madness (http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=339).

Like WIBOB said in the post (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?3899-Air-Filter-Replacement&highlight=sport+button), "Boy does the filter replacement make a big difference on acceleration. It was like I had the Sport Button pushed!"
Well... imagine how it feels when you DO have the Sport Button pushed! It also makes the engine roar, when you get above 4500 RPMs.

Note: If you decide to change it yourself, this post with pictures of a grande punto (http://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto-guides/169682-how-change-1-2-8v-air-filter.html) will give you an idea of how to do it. BUT, the 500 have much less room at the front of the car. Is a real struggle to wiggle the new filter into the airbox and get it seated correctly. Have a good metric socket set and a set of ratchet closed end metric wrenches is even better. There is very little room around the engine and the screw on the left is in an extremely cramped spot.

Mobile 1 motor oil - I read this post (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?3833-Advise-from-experience-at-over-11k-miles.-Use-FULLY-SYNTHETIC-OIL!!!!-NO-CHEAP-BLENDS) and had to try it. I think PE #389 is right.

"Hello guys,
I thought I should chime in on the oil change experience. PE #389 has now had three oil changes at the dealer. First two used dealer supplied oil which is a pennzoil synthetic blend. Car was fine, but when I decided to be less frugal and showed up at the dealership with 4 quarts of Mobil 1 (fully synthetic oil), I felt a huge change in the car after the service.

The engine is smoother and more lively- the revs are clear and clean toned. Gave the wife the car the next day and she called me to ask me...."What did you do with the car!" Jokes aside, the difference was almost night and day. For those of you who are keen on your engine's performance, I recommend you pass by COSTCO and get some 5W30 Mobil 1 before going to the dealer."

Chris has mentioned the Multivalve engine uses high pressure oil (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2011/08/inside-2012-fiat-500-engine.html)to adjust the valves, so there's speculation that Mobile 1 helps the engine run more precisely. One thing I also noticed, if you have Mobile 1 and the drop in air filter, you can rev closer to the red line and not have the drive-by-wire cut back on the throttle. Prior to adding Mobile 1 and the filter, I could rev quickly up to about 6000 and the Fiat would intervene. Now I get close to 6500.

Premium gas - some say it's urban myth to say there is a difference. But, I had used cheaper premium from a local chain and saw a big difference when I filled the tank with BP or Shell premium gas.

Good luck and Ciao.

WIBOB
09-24-2011, 10:34 AM
I still need to change the oil to the Mobil 1. From all the other posts it seems to make a big difference. Did you cahnge your own oil or did you take it to the dealer?

rtwolfe
09-24-2011, 10:55 AM
I still need to change the oil to the Mobil 1. From all the other posts it seems to make a big difference. Did you cahnge your own oil or did you take it to the dealer?

Nope. Chicken. Saw another thread here on what it takes. IE very small hands and a bucket of tools. Studio mechanic Justin here in Minneapolis was great. Watched him do it. I got 5-20 mobile1, Winter is coming. He only charged me for $8 filter. Even though I had him do a change at 500 miles about a month ago.

Let us know if you get an added boost.

Nero
09-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Man do I love this car. Have been trying to coax more acceleration out of my manual Pop. I just finished a 'joy ride' tonight and was literally amazed at how much zip and power the Fiat has now. I put the throttle down hard and it just flies past the traffic. My most recent changes were the High Flow Drop In air filter and the Mobile 1 oil. Hope someone else has the same configuration - If you do, please share what you are experiencing.

Here's what I think it takes to have a much Faster Fiat. Details further below.
1. Manual Transmission
2. Sport button on
3. Shift at high RPMs
4. High Flow Drop In air filter
5. Mobile 1 motor oil
6. Right brand of Premium Gas - Currently am using BP or Shell Premium gas

Manual Transmission - The only way to drive, if you want speed and acceleration.

I have used a shift most of my life so it's natural to me. Once I'm familiar with a car, I shift by sound not by tach. I've had my new Fiat in the shop for a couple fixes and driven a loaner Lounge. Seriously, I can't get any punch from the automatic - with sport on and with Dualogic shifting on. The Lounge just jerked through the gears for me. No smooth transition and the 'sling shot' effect, that tosses you forward, when you get the manual shifting working well.

Sport Button - We all know it helps by tightening the throttle response, etc.

Shifting at High RPM. 4000 to 6000. Thorough discussion earlier (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?3793-How-hard-to-you-drive-your-Fiat&highlight=hard) - lousy MPG but lots of fun.

High Flow Drop In Air Filter - I got mine from 500 Madness (http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=339).

Like WIBOB said in the post (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?3899-Air-Filter-Replacement&highlight=sport+button), "Boy does the filter replacement make a big difference on acceleration. It was like I had the Sport Button pushed!"
Well... imagine how it feels when you DO have the Sport Button pushed! It also makes the engine roar, when you get above 4500 RPMs.

Note: If you decide to change it yourself, this post with pictures of a grande punto (http://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto-guides/169682-how-change-1-2-8v-air-filter.html) will give you an idea of how to do it. BUT, the 500 have much less room at the front of the car. Is a real struggle to wiggle the new filter into the airbox and get it seated correctly. Have a good metric socket set and a set of ratchet closed end metric wrenches is even better. There is very little room around the engine and the screw on the left is in an extremely cramped spot.

Mobile 1 motor oil - I read this post (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?3833-Advise-from-experience-at-over-11k-miles.-Use-FULLY-SYNTHETIC-OIL!!!!-NO-CHEAP-BLENDS) and had to try it. I think PE #389 is right.

"Hello guys,
I thought I should chime in on the oil change experience. PE #389 has now had three oil changes at the dealer. First two used dealer supplied oil which is a pennzoil synthetic blend. Car was fine, but when I decided to be less frugal and showed up at the dealership with 4 quarts of Mobil 1 (fully synthetic oil), I felt a huge change in the car after the service.

The engine is smoother and more lively- the revs are clear and clean toned. Gave the wife the car the next day and she called me to ask me...."What did you do with the car!" Jokes aside, the difference was almost night and day. For those of you who are keen on your engine's performance, I recommend you pass by COSTCO and get some 5W30 Mobil 1 before going to the dealer."

Chris has mentioned the Multivalve engine uses high pressure oil (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2011/08/inside-2012-fiat-500-engine.html)to adjust the valves, so there's speculation that Mobile 1 helps the engine run more precisely. One thing I also noticed, if you have Mobile 1 and the drop in air filter, you can rev closer to the red line and not have the drive-by-wire cut back on the throttle. Prior to adding Mobile 1 and the filter, I could rev quickly up to about 6000 and the Fiat would intervene. Now I get close to 6500.

Premium gas - some say it's urban myth to say there is a difference. But, I had used cheaper premium from a local chain and saw a big difference when I filled the tank with BP or Shell premium gas.

Good luck and Ciao.

Have you noticed any change in your gas milage with the new filter and the Mobile 1 and what filter did you use?

rtwolfe
09-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Sorry. No not monitor mpg. With high rev. Expect I am sub optimum. Filter. See link in my 1st post.

nolalou
09-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Just don't turn on Eco-Drive if your shifting a 4000 to 6000 RPM ! I normally shift at around 3000 RPM, and when I checked my Eco Drive rating, it said I was burning enough gas to supply a small country, so I can't imagine what it would say at 6000 RPM !! ;)

Bianco Cinquecento
09-30-2011, 02:35 PM
honestly dude, my 500 rips. i dunno why, but ive driven it really hard since 3k miles i have 8 on it now. its effortless to 90. I cant wait for a software upgrade.

WIBOB
10-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Well I finally got the oil changed today. Put in Mobil 1 "EP" oil. It did seem to run smoother and after about 25 miles it did seem to have a little more "go" to it. I had the dealer change it and show me how to get at things.
The filter looked easy to get out with a long extension for the socket wrench. Still have to get that oil extractor because I do not want to keep taking off the plastic coverning on the underside of the engine.

rtwolfe
10-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Hi Wibob.

Glad to hear you tried the Mobil 1 and saw some improvement. And you already had the Drop In Air Filter. Did you go for highest octane gas in your area? What octane rating?
How would you rate the change from when you initially got the car. OK, Good, Great? Be good to compare notes. I vote Great but can't wait to test drive the Abarth.

Also, it was asked earlier, I've been running the trip monitor for a couple weeks and these changes (and the way I drive) do effect my gas mileage. Am running average of 30 MPG. But is worth it for the fun.

Abarthlyness
10-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Hi Wibob.

Glad to hear you tried the Mobil 1 and saw some improvement. And you already had the Drop In Air Filter. Did you go for highest octane gas in your area? What octane rating?
How would you rate the change from when you initially got the car. OK, Good, Great? Be good to compare notes. I vote Great but can't wait to test drive the Abarth.

Also, it was asked earlier, I've been running the trip monitor for a couple weeks and these changes (and the way I drive) do effect my gas mileage. Am running average of 30 MPG. But is worth it for the fun.

It's great to see someone here that's so excited about performance :)

Let's be honest... most folks buy the car more for it's style and gas sipping abilities. I'm going to buy my Sport because it's going to be FUN to drive as a daily commuter.

Oh, and 30 MPG isn't all that bad, given the thrashing you are doing. I can't get 30 MPG out of my SRT-4 even when I'm driving like a grandma!

WIBOB
10-15-2011, 07:51 PM
rtwolfe

I would rate the change as GREAT! It made the engine run "looser" and I have had the revs up to 5500 screaming around all the other cars on the road. I am now "one of those crazy drivers" that I used to hate. I am running 93 octane no ethanol gas and it makes a difference to me. I get 42 to 43 mpg on the road consistenty when I am driving like a normal person ( only do this going to work and back) other times I am getting 34 to 36mpg driving it like I want to have fun. With the High Flow Filter and Mobil 1 I have dropped the idea of getting the accelerator module.

Nance Lee
10-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Nope. Chicken. Saw another thread here on what it takes. IE very small hands and a bucket of tools. Studio mechanic Justin here in Minneapolis was great. Watched him do it. I got 5-20 mobile1, Winter is coming. He only charged me for $8 filter. Even though I had him do a change at 500 miles about a month ago.

Let us know if you get an added boost.
So I am in Minneapolis too, with a car in transit right now. It should arrive near the end of November. Would it be hugely tacky of me to ask them to drop in this filter and do an oil change with Mobil before I take delivery?

rtwolfe
10-29-2011, 01:49 AM
So I am in Minneapolis too, with a car in transit right now. It should arrive near the end of November. Would it be hugely tacky of me to ask them to drop in this filter and do an oil change with Mobil before I take delivery?
Hi Nancy:
No not tacky at all. Just ask them. Justin the mechanic at the studio is a great young guy. Very friendly. I just had him add aftermarket chrome bumpers and custom side molding to my Pop today. We communicate by email and I usually get a response in a couple hours or next day.

You'll need to pay for the air and oil filters and Mobil1. I ordered the air filter from 500 Madness and put it in myself but I think Justin was willing to do it for free (is 5 minute job). And he did open up the air box and checked my work. The oil change requires an oil filter. Nasty job. Glad he did it. I bought the Mobil1 and brought it to the shop. Justin only dinged me for the oil filter.

One last thing. On the Mobil1, I held off until my engine break-in period was done. Changed it initially at 200 miles to be sure any little metal bits were removed with the oil. I had heard regular oil was better for the first 200 miles or so. Plus, it was cheaper to toss the original oil at 200 miles than to toss Mobile1 at 200 miles.

One last thing - Don't know if you saw this thread I started on "Engine Break-in - Debate the Break In Secrets website's recommendation (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?3551-Engine-Break-in-Debate-the-Break-In-Secrets-website-s-recommendation)" I did follow those recommendations in breaking in my Pop.

Good Luck

Nance Lee
10-29-2011, 05:27 PM
No I didn't see that thread yet, thanks. I'll go check it out now.

I also ride a Victory Vegas Premiuim Low which puts out 1534 ccs and weighs 652 pounds. I am imagining the Pop when it arrives, at about 4 times the weight and a hundred and change lower ccs, is gonna feel like a very tiny tractor unless I tweak it a bit :)

rtwolfe
10-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Nice bike! Yes, it will be challenging to match the speed of the Victory. Course, with winter coming you'll handle the drifts better with the Fiat.:friendly_wink:

Speaking of snow, I think putting snow tires on the Fiat will make our Minnesota winters lot's more fun. Justin mentioned the studio does have snow tire packages for the Fiat. I got mine a couple months ago before the packages were available. Had great discussions with Justin on the merits of various options and tire brands. I had Justin order the standard Fiat steel wheels and tire sensors for me. I decided to go with Nokian Hakka R's (http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11949). Had the Hakka's delivered to the studio and Justin mounted and balanced them for me.

Ciao.

Luigi
11-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Hey there - I am very interested in upgrading my air filter as you suggested but was wondering if that could void my warranty? would I have to remove it before getting my car serviced (under free maintenance schedule)? thanks for letting me know when you get a chance!

Felnus
11-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Hey there - I am very interested in upgrading my air filter as you suggested but was wondering if that could void my warranty? would I have to remove it before getting my car serviced (under free maintenance schedule)? thanks for letting me know when you get a chance!

No it cannot void your warranty unless the aftermarket part causes a failure of a covered part. The chances are next to nil that would happen with a drop in air filter.

rtwolfe
11-04-2011, 10:59 PM
No it cannot void your warranty unless the aftermarket part causes a failure of a covered part. The chances are next to nil that would happen with a drop in air filter.

I agree my studio mechanic was willing to order the air filter for me from 500 madnes and install it But i decided to do it myself. Mechanic did confirm the new filter did not void the warranty. Go for it.

rtwolfe
11-04-2011, 11:09 PM
rtwolfe

I would rate the change as GREAT! It made the engine run "looser" and I have had the revs up to 5500 screaming around all the other cars on the road. I am now "one of those crazy drivers" that I used to hate. I am running 93 octane no ethanol gas and it makes a difference to me. I get 42 to 43 mpg on the road consistenty when I am driving like a normal person ( only do this going to work and back) other times I am getting 34 to 36mpg driving it like I want to have fun. With the High Flow Filter and Mobil 1 I have dropped the idea of getting the accelerator module.

Hi Wibob I somehow missed your reply. I am now that same kind of 'crazy driver' too. With these simple changes and the revs above 5000, the fiat just zooms. I love to find an opening in trafffic and put the pedal down. Never use 5th, rarely use 4th. I often start in 2nd, so if I am going forward, it's only 2 gears that matter. Thanks for the feedback Wibob.

Fred
11-07-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm running corsa short ram air intake with K&N, corsa exhaust,and will be getting tuned by ECU tuning group later this week.I'll let you know how it effects performance,also added lower springs, great handling!

rtwolfe
11-07-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm running corsa short ram air intake with K&N, corsa exhaust,and will be getting tuned by ECU tuning group later this week.I'll let you know how it effects performance,also added lower springs, great handling!

Whew Fred! With that package, Wibob and I will be 'eating your dust' Keep us in the loop and good luck.

Terry
11-08-2011, 12:57 PM

Wow, Fred...Let me know the color of your 500 so if I see it in my mirrors, I can move over into the slow lane pronto...(Sounds great!)
Terry

Have Trumpet Will Travel
11-17-2011, 03:24 AM
My first modification is the RoadRace Eng. "Corsa" Cold Air Intake and I am very pleased after a couple hundred miles. Gas mileage doesn't seem to be affected and the "banshee" shriek from under the hood at full throttle justifies the cost alone. The engine seems more willing to wind-up in all five gears and it is quiet at Interstate speeds. I highly recommend this system. Next I plan to look at a cat-back exhaust - will wait until there are a few of them available to choose from. Will comment more as time and experience accrue / HTWT.

Randy Robert Mosele
11-17-2011, 06:02 AM
OK. What is this "Corsa cold air intake" of which you speak? Sounds like something I need.

Have Trumpet Will Travel
11-17-2011, 06:35 AM
To RRM, the intake is marketed by RoadRace Engineering, costs $299 plus shipping and is an easy bolt-on. They're in California, mine was delivered to Virginia in one week. The stock cover with the Multi-Air insignia simply pulls straight up and off the stock air filter housing - this took me the most time - to figure out how to disassemble the plastic stuff on top of the engine without damaging it. The reason I chose this unit over the others is because the K&N filter that is supplied with this intake isn't located in an area where road spray (rain / debris) would be likely to be present. It IS located on top of the engine so in the warm months the available air may be higher in temperature (underhood) than it would be otherwise, again, the other units seem to be located in the wheel-well, horn has to be re-located on one of the others and such. If you enjoy intake "drone" you will LOVE this. If you do your own oil changes a side benefit is it makes the oil filter canister more easily accessible. Hope this info helps. HTWT.

Have Trumpet Will Travel
11-17-2011, 06:46 AM
Sorry, that's RoadRace Motorsports, not Engineering

Randy Robert Mosele
11-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks. Very helpful.