PDA

View Full Version : Pro Kit

GotFiat
09-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Ok, the time has come for a set of Eibach ProKit springs.
Now, who got the best price out there? and if you got them, whats your exp with shipping cost and times?
Nervous/Excited:eagerness:

GotFiat
09-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Ok, i ordered a set from Tire Rack, $235 including shipping.

Now, anyone in NY has an Install Hookup? cause $250 is just plain wrong, i don't wanna spent more on the install than the springs especially when all i heard that its a 45min job!

any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

fiat for life
09-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Springs are NOT a 45 min job. MAYBE for one rear...MAYBE.

GotFiat
09-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Someone here did it them self and said the rears are 10 mins each since as soon as you disconnect the shocks the solid rear drop along with the springs,the fronts takes a little longer, but still $250 thats more than $75 an hr for 3hrs! and its not a 3hr job!
i would go for $150 since i think 2hrs is a fair amount of time for someone with air tools.

Fiat500USA
09-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Don't forget the wheel alignment. Chance toe would change when lowering.

GotFiat
09-24-2011, 04:46 PM
most people say, i have to wait about a week after the install before i do that for the springs to settle first.

Fiat500USA
09-25-2011, 01:39 PM
most people say, i have to wait about a week after the install before i do that for the springs to settle first.

That's not a bad idea. Of course, if you lived around here, a Sunday drive on these rough roads would take care of that! LOL

GotFiat
09-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Tire Rack came through, item in stock and getting ready for shipping 2 days early :)

smoove7410
09-27-2011, 10:39 PM
I have lowered many cars. Wait one to two weeks for everything to settle and then get it aligned.

SpidArman
09-28-2011, 09:03 AM
What is the procedure for changing out the fronts? Are they standard struts that they must be compressed to allow the tops to be unbolted and then the springs to slide out?

GotFiat
09-29-2011, 09:26 AM
What is the procedure for changing out the fronts? Are they standard struts that they must be compressed to allow the tops to be unbolted and then the springs to slide out?

I think, im not sure, im still looking for a place with a good install price, the least I've got was $225 so far. and i just started looking at spacers WOW! those little suckers are pricey!!

txdesign
10-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Someone post a DIY with pics please. I did springs and shock several times on my R50 and R53 Minis and it was definitely a 3-4 hour job. I'd be really surprised if you can do the 500 in 45 min. It'll take you 15 mins' just to jack the car up and put jackstands under it.
Unless of course you are dumb enough to do it with a jack.

txdesign
10-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Ok, i ordered a set from Tire Rack, $235 including shipping.

Now, anyone in NY has an Install Hookup? cause $250 is just plain wrong, i don't wanna spent more on the install than the springs especially when all i heard that its a 45min job!

any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

Boy, posts like this make me glad I am not a shop owner. $250 is wrong because you "heard" it's a 45 min job.
I assume the fronts are MacPhearson struts which will have to be taken apart and put back together with the new springs. Also this is a brand new model in the US market so it will not be familiar to anybody and a certain amount of research will be necessary to find out bolt sizes and torque values, etc. Assuming that this info is even available online yet. Then I assume you want them to test drive the car afterwards to make sure there are no problems. I think 2 1/2 -3 hrs. at $110/hr. will be a fair quote from a quality shop.

GotFiat
10-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Boy, posts like this make me glad I am not a shop owner. $250 is wrong because you "heard" it's a 45 min job.
I assume the fronts are MacPhearson struts which will have to be taken apart and put back together with the new springs. Also this is a brand new model in the US market so it will not be familiar to anybody and a certain amount of research will be necessary to find out bolt sizes and torque values, etc. Assuming that this info is even available online yet. Then I assume you want them to test drive the car afterwards to make sure there are no problems. I think 2 1/2 -3 hrs. at $110/hr. will be a fair quote from a quality shop.

$110 an hr!!!! labor here is more like $75 so at $200 it'll be about 2.5 hrs!

Felnus
10-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Pfffft....go to Advance Auto Parts, borrow the strut compressors with their tool loan program and do it yourself and save a ton of money. I did the suspension twice on my '02 Focus and once on my '06 Focus. After poking around on the 500, it looks to be as easy if not easier than the Focus set up.

GotFiat
10-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Pfffft....go to Advance Auto Parts, borrow the strut compressors with their tool loan program and do it yourself and save a ton of money. I did the suspension twice on my '02 Focus and once on my '06 Focus. After poking around on the 500, it looks to be as easy if not easier than the Focus set up.
Thats why i was hoping to find someone local that would help and i'll rent the tools plus cash pizza and beer, beer consumed after install :P

Felnus
10-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Seriously, if you are remotely mechanically inclined, give it a shot yourself. The car is nearly brand new so none of the bolts should be seized up, take your time and be careful. http://www.fiat500usa.com/2010/09/examining-fiat-500-suspension.html Looks like three bolts per side on the front and one bolt per side on the rear. Not bad at all. Once you are done, be sure to take it in for an alignment within a week of lowering it.

Dwaynek
10-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Please post pictures when installed thanks!!!!!

GotFiat
10-03-2011, 09:46 PM
look what brown Santa dropped for me :) , the only thing they're not red anymore :(

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa217/yaserdriving/GiGi/IMAG0084.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa217/yaserdriving/GiGi/IMAG0085.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa217/yaserdriving/GiGi/IMAG0086.jpg

SeaDawg
10-04-2011, 01:25 AM
I think, im not sure, im still looking for a place with a good install price, the least I've got was $225 so far. and i just started looking at spacers WOW! those little suckers are pricey!!

Please be sure to give us a full report once you have them installed, have driven on them, and gotten front end alignment. I'm especially interested as you may have noticed over on the 'other' 500 Forum the one guy, FJ Huerta, who allegedly had the Pro Kit springs installed, had them removed and his OEM springs re-installed. He said the car felt unstable to him when on the road at speed. He was talking about speeds that you seem to favor. <grin>

GotFiat
10-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Please be sure to give us a full report once you have them installed, have driven on them, and gotten front end alignment. I'm especially interested as you may have noticed over on the 'other' 500 Forum the one guy, FJ Huerta, who allegedly had the Pro Kit springs installed, had them removed and his OEM springs re-installed. He said the car felt unstable to him when on the road at speed. He was talking about speeds that you seem to favor. <grin>
Will sure do :).

Now i have to figure out why the pix keep disappearing since i haven't moved them!

GotFiat
10-06-2011, 10:57 AM
A couple of quick pix, i'll update later on :)

Before

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa217/yaserdriving/GiGi/IMAG0101.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa217/yaserdriving/GiGi/IMAG0102.jpg

After

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa217/yaserdriving/GiGi/IMAG0105.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa217/yaserdriving/GiGi/IMAG0104.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa217/yaserdriving/GiGi/IMAG0106.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa217/yaserdriving/GiGi/IMAG0108.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa217/yaserdriving/GiGi/IMAG0109.jpg

:)

Mpath
10-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks for posting the pics. Great job on the install.

txdesign
10-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Very nice, rear seems a bit too low compared to the front.

GotFiat
10-06-2011, 10:20 PM
i know the rear looks slightly lower, maybe it'll settle, and btw my guy " Thanks DanGSR" was all done in about 50 mins start to finish!!

Dwaynek
10-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Looks great! Nice job!

fiat for life
10-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Damn Yasser that looks great. I heard from Dave here in the studio about it and had to come find pics. I also heard that you found a performance tune for these cars..is that right? Something to yield 125hp with an exhaust...if so I MUST have info on that. Btw how does the car ride now? Im always hesitant about lowering short wheelbase cars because they inherently ride worse. But after dealing with coilovers on my other car I could probably handle it :P

SeaDawg
10-07-2011, 11:20 AM
i know the rear looks slightly lower, maybe it'll settle, and btw my guy " Thanks DanGSR" was all done in about 50 mins start to finish!!

Only in some of the photos. The one on the street looks dead level to me. Now, how does it handle?:devilish:

Mpath
10-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Yes, once it's settle and properly aligned it should be fine.

Has anyone bought the Fiat 500 Madness springs with a more aggressive 2" drop all around?

GotFiat
10-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Damn Yasser that looks great. I heard from Dave here in the studio about it and had to come find pics. I also heard that you found a performance tune for these cars..is that right? Something to yield 125hp with an exhaust...if so I MUST have info on that. Btw how does the car ride now? Im always hesitant about lowering short wheelbase cars because they inherently ride worse. But after dealing with coilovers on my other car I could probably handle it :P
all the info on the tune, you can find on the other forum "fiat500owners" its a combo of the ecu, intake and exhaust and the gain i believe is more around 15-20, Rob from RRM would have more info.

and to answer the rest of the Qs.

i'm in love with the way the car handles now and the way it corners :)
on the other hand comfort is a diff story, lets put it that way If you have a GF or a wife and no 2nd car, i wouldn't recommend it :P .
Most of the time on fairly even road its very nice and you feel alot more connected, but once you get to dips and bumps not so much. but i could live with that. im loving it.
and regarding the 2" drop, you gotta REEEEEEaly want it, cuz it will hurt :P.

mancalvo1
05-05-2012, 12:27 AM
That is what I though.. I have done the one inch drop (I thought is was the PRO KIT model from Eibach) on my SI and I think this is stiff enough:peaceful: My wife hit a mayor pot hole and broke the spring. What a pain it was to get it replace under the life warranty:fatigue:

grippymonkey
05-17-2012, 12:42 AM

I know the Fiat suspension is similar to the older Ford Focus. I changed my suspension out so many times back when I had one that I had mine down to about 45 minutes to swap everything out and in. The suspension is very basic on the 500's to be honest. I take more time these days cause I'm older and like to double check things, but I bet when my BC coilovers come in I will knock them out pretty fast.

MAZ
09-26-2012, 08:47 AM
i don't wanna spent more on the install than the springs especially when all i heard that its a 45min job!
45 minute job?
Per corner perhaps.

You could probably do both rears in about an hour.
My coil-overs took me about 3-4 hours with no lift and while beer drinkin'

NGEN
09-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Took about 55 minutes at the shop for all 4. Didn't even have to use the spring compressor. Spring are pretty easy on this vehicle. Very similar to a Volkswagen setup. A shop charging about $200 to $250 is pretty fair.

NGEN
09-30-2012, 05:59 PM
By the way, I have pro kit on my sport and my wife has sport lines on her gucci edition. Sportlines are definitely a harsher ride but looks even better. Just have to make a choice on what youwant

sgennuso
10-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Umm, yeah they are. My dad and I did the springs on my car in less than 1 hour. It was extremely easy, especially since he has all the right tools. The longest part of the whole process is jacking up the car and taking off the wheels.

sgennuso
10-28-2012, 04:33 PM
4020Before
4021After

AMX
12-22-2012, 02:25 PM
I have the pro kit, I love the stance and the handling, but frankly I need better shocks as the ride is just too choppy on some roads. Not so bad I would go back to stock suspension, but not quite right yet. Has anyone actually figured out if the Koni FSD shocks from the Abarth work on the Sport? Or found an equivalent adjustable shock that works?

SpidArman
12-22-2012, 02:34 PM
I have the pro kit, I love the stance and the handling, but frankly I need better shocks as the ride is just too choppy on some roads. Not so bad I would go back to stock suspension, but not quite right yet. Has anyone actually figured out if the Koni FSD shocks from the Abarth work on the Sport? Or found an equivalent adjustable shock that works?

I am in the exact same position. Just awaiting firmer valved struts and shocks...

Cajun
12-22-2012, 03:36 PM

Seems to me that a reputable shop would do the alignment at the time of install, and tell you to come back in about a week to check the alignment and adjust it, if necessary.
Any time you do something that can change the geometry of the vehicle suspension, you should do an alignment.
Misaligned suspension can kill a set of tires FAR quicker than most people realize.

WMWFiat
06-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Thought I'd post a pic of a 500T we put the Pro Kit on last week

spd2918
06-03-2013, 02:44 PM
I installed Pro Lines in my Pop and it took 1.5 hours.

It took 1.5 hours to swap the stock ones back in.

It took 1.25 hours to put them into my new PopC. This was all with two guys, two floor jacks, spring compressors, and air for the compressors. While drinking Guinness.