PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Exhaust Finisher for Pop

cmj912
09-18-2011, 11:30 AM
I was noticing this morning that the standard non-chrome exhaust tip on my Pop looks a little goofy. Like "not enough" lol.

This was while I was staring at my car from about 100 feet away, at the seaside, waiting for my dog to do her thing so we could go. Two guys were walking by and and shaking their heads and saying loudly "I could NEVER drive a car that small. I'd never even ride in one. I don't even like the MINI." I don't think they knew it was my car. I'm proud of little Bones, so I made as if we would go back to get a bag to clean up after my dog. I wanted them to know I'd heard them. I love my car. I wish I had a garage full of them.

Funny, after you own one, you aren't really aware of how small it is at all. Only that everything else you might drive or ride in feels enormous...ie, too BIG.

Anyway, I usually (digress). In looking around, I couldn't really find whether:
1) the Lounge has a chrome exhaust tip (and yet the same bumper as the Pop) and if it would fit.
2) whether it is an easy install and just fits over the little stainless blip.
3) whether there is a genuine FIAT part for it (as I do NOT want any warranty questions should I ever have any problem with the exhaust).
4) who has it and how much it is

WIBOB
09-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Yes the POP can get the chrome exhaust tip if you do not have it. For a while there they were not putting them on the POP but now they come factory installed. There is a FIAT part number and the cost was $128.00 (quoted by my dealer). From what I saw in the box, it slips over the current tip and there is a muffler clamp that you tighten to secure it. The first POP that I looked at did not have the chrome exhaust so I asked the dealer about it and that is how I found out the info.

cmj912
10-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Actually, I found out today that this isn't necessarily true.
I ordered the MOPAR chrome exhaust tip and, upon opening the box discovered that in fact the installation involves hacking off part of the existing exhaust tip with a saw and then using a center punch to open a hole to install the enclosed rivet.
NOT the kind of thing I envision doing. So if you happen upon a similar part, ask if it is a simple installation or if there is more required. I will now either have to visit a dealer to have it installled or return it and ask about something else that might be available.

Just for everyone's FYI, I did call (service seems to still be operating out of Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram) to ask about having it done and secure an appointment and was asked to leave a message, which I did. They never called back. Incidentally, this was the same day they left me an automated voicemail about calling them to make a maintenance appointment for service - which is also odd considering the car only has 3,000 miles on it and the oil change light hasn't come on yet.

WIBOB
10-11-2011, 09:37 PM
That is strange. The dealer opened the box and the tip and clamp were right there. I did not see any rivet.

cmj912
10-12-2011, 08:48 AM
I think the difference may be that there are two different parts. One is more round and comes with an exhaust clamp. This is probably the "afterthought" finisher that was designed as an enhancement part before Fiat started making them standard equipment.

The part that I have is likely the OEM replacement for the exhaust tip that comes on the Sport. It is a flattened oval and seems significantly shorter than the rounder version.

500MADNESS is always good about questions; I think I'll ask them before I go through all the nonsense. I'd really rather just jump under the car and screw it on.

Or, if you can ask your Studio what part number that finisher they showed you was, I can compare it with mine. My Studio is not very good about returning calls and usually there is protracted silence when you ask a question while they think about whether they know the answer.

cmj912
10-12-2011, 06:34 PM
I think the difference may be that there are two different parts. One is more round and comes with an exhaust clamp. This is probably the "afterthought" finisher that was designed as an enhancement part before Fiat started making them standard equipment.

The part that I have is likely the OEM replacement for the exhaust tip that comes on the Sport. It is a flattened oval and seems significantly shorter than the rounder version.

500MADNESS is always good about questions; I think I'll ask them before I go through all the nonsense. I'd really rather just jump under the car and screw it on.

Or, if you can ask your Studio what part number that finisher they showed you was, I can compare it with mine. My Studio is not very good about returning calls and usually there is protracted silence when you ask a question while they think about whether they know the answer.

Just so you know, FiatAccessoriesUSA.com and Fiat of Avondale on Amazon.com are showing two different styles of finisher with the same part number.

This is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/FIAT-Sport-Chrome-Exhaust-OEM/dp/B005EYZYBM

This is the one I ordered: http://www.fiataccessoriesusa.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=exhaust

Same part number. Different item. Ah!

cmj912
10-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Bob,

I just phoned your dealer, assuming it was Bergstrom in Milwaukee - since my parts source in NJ is attempting to locate the one you describe.
The gentleman I spoke with at Bergstrom shows no record of any other part number or a clamp/slip on tip so I'm not sure who showed you something but it apparently does not exist. :)

He did say that for earlier Pops sold without the chrome exhaust they send them into the shop for a few minutes for a charge of about less than $40 and all of the ones he's seen installed were the flat Sport style.

The NJ parts person said that what they could have shown you was
1) an accessory from before the point that Fiat decided to make the chrome exhaust standard and therefore not a part designed to have ever fit the Lounge or Sport, but limited in quantity once the new exhaust was decided upon.
2) an aftermarket part

Just so you know, FiatAccessoriesUSA.com and Fiat of Avondale on Amazon.com are showing two different styles of finisher with the same part number.

This is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/FIAT-Sport-Chrome-Exhaust-OEM/dp/B005EYZYBM

This is the one I ordered: http://www.fiataccessoriesusa.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=exhaust

Same part number. Different item. Ah!

cmj912
12-06-2011, 10:16 AM
I was wondering if someone who has a Pop or a Lounge could do me a favor and go look at their exhaust tip: I have some questions...

1) can you see the rivet that holds it on?
2) is there any length of the original tailpipe visible between the end of the tip and the beginning of the muffler?

Let me tell you why. I finally had this installed yesterday.

I'd made a service appointment for Friday for them to look at that and to see why my brakes were a bit noisy. So I went in and as it turns out, they "thought I needed an oil change" so no, I couldn't get the car looked at or the exhaust installed because the Chrysler techs can do an oil change but they can't do anything else to a FIAT. This made me a bit nervous since the FIAT oil changes are supposed to be comprehensive. If a Chrysler tech was going to do it how would he have looked at the other components they are supposed to look at during the visit?

But I digress.

Anyway, the tech was supposed to be in Monday, so I rescheduled. The dealer is only 6 miles away so I wasn't all that upset.

I go in and the same woman who had just tried to check me in 2 days before says "I can help you over here!" and I smile and say: "No you can't." - She looks confused...
Well, on Friday she had done the same thing and when she saw the FIAT key she said "Oh, no, sorry, you have to go in that line over there - " and pointed at the dude I usually have to see.

So anyway, as it turns out:

1) my front brake pads were a bit glazed. this doesn't really surprise me since I do a LOT of stop and go, hill, panic stop. city driving is tough on brakes. The dude did say that FIAT uses very high-end Magnetti Marelli brake pads (semi-ceramic) on the 500 which "they don't even use on Chryslers"! They are able to deglaze these pads by a quick, light sanding and no more brake noise in cold weather.

2) They installed the exhaust finisher. But I can't tell if they cut off enough tailpipe and if it is on upside down. I would THINK that the divot in the finisher would be on the UNDERSIDE, so you wouldn't see 'backstage' and that the rivet would go in from the bottom. Also, in order to install it they have to cut ___ inches off the tailpipe. I am not sure they cut enough so there is still a little bit of pre-Bris muffler left.

So if someone that has either the Pop that came with the exhaust finisher or a Lounge could take a look, that would be great. A picture of what the part looks like on your car would be even better. No offense to the Sport owners but your rumps are different :) and I'm just trying to gauge whether they did this right...