PDA

View Full Version : Renting a Fiat 500

nolalou
09-16-2011, 09:43 AM
I just got a call from my sister who tole me that while visiting family in Florida she rented a car from Budget. They tried to talk her into an upgrade, saying "the only economy car we have is real small, are you sure you don't want to upgrade?". Turns out the really small car is a Fiat 500. She fell in love it it, and said "why would I want to rent anything else"! ;)

I wonder if any other US rental companies are offering Fiat 500s?

SeaDawg
09-16-2011, 10:08 AM
I just got a call from my sister who tole me that while visiting family in Florida she rented a car from Budget. They tried to talk her into an upgrade, saying "the only economy car we have is real small, are you sure you don't want to upgrade?". Turns out the really small car is a Fiat 500. She fell in love it it, and said "why would I want to rent anything else"! ;)

I wonder if any other US rental companies are offering Fiat 500s?

Yes, I have seen at least one post here in one of the forums saying Enterprise was renting them.

nolalou
09-16-2011, 01:10 PM
I wonder how many of the Fiat 500 sales figures are for sales to auto rental companies?

RLove
09-16-2011, 01:41 PM
I rented a brand new red Sport from National in Kansas City about a month ago. Great weather, fun car, and satellite radio...it just doesn't get much better than that.:barbershop_quartet_

cogtooth
09-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Hopefully Fiat rentals are rare since I'm not really flattered by the idea of owning a car used by a rental agency.

Dwaynek
09-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Went up to the budget counter in Edmonton last week and my choice was a mustang convertible or a fiat! Took the fiat which was a pop, have to say I much prefer my sport better suspension and more options! However the rental was great.

GrandWJ
09-21-2011, 01:21 PM
I work for Alamo / National / Enterprise (Same Company) In areas with a fiat dealer close by there will be a good fleet of them, St. Louis MO has around 40 either pop or sport. Chrystler is our leading supplyer of vehicles so the 500 is a great option for a compact car. Everyone that rents on where I work all say the same thing, First: "ITs too small", then when they come back its "Where can I buy one, I LOVE it!" Well, flight just landed, back to work I guess lol.

jsantoro
09-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Does Enterprise rent them in or near Charlotte?
Thanks,
Jim

GrandWJ
09-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Does Enterprise rent them in or near Charlotte?
Thanks,
Jim

I can only check airport locations, but as of today the CLT Airport National/Alamo has 2 sports and Enterprise has 7 pops. Now thats total, which represents a very small percent of their fleet, so you would have to call on a certain day to see if they are available. They rent as Compact cars and you should be able to get a good price on the weekends.

jsantoro
09-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Jim

xtrmnop
09-26-2011, 06:06 PM
I got a silver Sport here in San Diego, CA from Enterprise. The rental car place was pretty much right next to the dealership. I'm just curious why Chrysler/Fiat doesn't have 500 for loaners when bringing your car for service? or is it a dealership basis type of thing. Acura does this most of the time for my other car but I guess that's the extra care your get when buying a luxury car. To me it just make sense to get a Fiat 500 as a loaner when bringing in yours for service or repair.

megggers
09-27-2011, 10:57 AM
I actually rented one from Budget here in Toronto before deciding if I wanted to buy it. A test drive with the dealer wasn't going to be enough for me, so I drove it for two days. Although I ended up buying the 5-speed manual!

500lvr
09-27-2011, 12:39 PM
I rented a Nero Fiat 500 Sport from Enterprise here in Houston for a weekend recently. Not only was it fun to drive but I got it for only $ 20/day (Weekend Special)...Will be buying mine shortly!!

KhalilWilliams
09-27-2011, 06:58 PM
I had just found out from my friend and schoolmate on Facebook last night that I can order a car for rental from Enterprise; I can call my nearest location and have them bring a 500 there and I can pick it up for rental; that was how he rented a Volkswagen CC for last year's prom. I'm thinking about doing that for this school year's prom; then again, wouldn't having a rental car different from the fleet affect rates or anything in that nature?

GrandWJ
09-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Actually locations share cars very often, Most likely they brought the CC from a location that had one, as CC is a Premium car that we rent, they would just have to find a location that had a 500 and bring it over. so both the 500 and the CC are cars normaly in our rental fleet.

nathandarby67
10-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Just found and joined the forum....great info so far. I am wanting to rent a 500 from the Ft. Lauderdale airport October 6-11, anyone know if any of the FLL or MIA companies rent them? Preferably a sport with a manual gearbox. Also, do any of them rent the cabrio version?

I am a longtime British and Italian car guy, and have been seriously debating buying a new 500 for a daily run-around car. I am holding out for the Abarth, but would love to get a fell for the 500 over this upcoming trip. I have to rent a car one way or another, so it may as well be something fun!

nolalou
10-04-2011, 10:41 AM
unfortunately, you'll find it next to impossible to rent any car in the USA with a manual transmission. The other problem with most car rental companies (in my experience) is they don't let you specify a specific make or model, only the size (sub compact, economy, etc), and it's pot luck as to what they actually have avialable. In fact, you may end up with a free upgrade to a bigger car, if they don't have any sub compacts avialable.
I think the best bet may be to call the rental company directly (at the location where you want to pick up the car).

thekgb
10-10-2011, 11:22 PM
I rented a Fiat 500 from Enterprise for a week. I figured that it's better than the 10 minute test drive you'll get from the dealer. I drove it everyday for seven days and put it though all of the paces--total fun! The week-long test drive sold me; the best $240 that I've ever spent! I'll be buying my 500 in about a month. Check with Enterprise. They have more than a few in their fleet. You may have to call around to find one.

jlm11579
12-23-2011, 03:45 PM
You seem to be the guy to ask.....I'm flying into Tampa on January 26....does your company rent the Fiat 500 out of the airport?

Thanks for your help!

GrandWJ
12-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Between Alamo/National/Enterprise Tampa has only 8 500's all pop's. That is SUPER low considering their compact car fleet is around 300. So they do have them just not many at all. Thats as of today as well, january they may have none.

jlm11579
12-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks very much for the quick answer. I also noticed that the Fiat is showing up in the Hertz website vehicle guide.

I guess what I'll do is try to call these locations directly, confirm that they even have (or getting)Fiats.....and then make another round of phone calls the day before I fly to Tampa.

The last thing I want to do is have them hand me a Kia instead....

By the way, I'm impressed that you can tell me there are 8 of them in Tampa!