PDA

View Full Version : Fiat 500 - Jennifer Lopez Commercial Debuts

Fiat500USA
09-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Fiat500USA.com Has Just Posted the Following:

More... (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Fiat500USA/~3/sLYcD3OIlzs/fiat-500-jennifer-lopez-commercial.html)

Chris
09-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Just saw that- interesting. They're spending $$

Fiat500USA
09-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Just saw that- interesting. They're spending $$

It's just the begining...

Thad
09-15-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't think J Lo is the right connection. Although, it may make lots of people who know her to also know FIAT. So, in that sense, maybe it will work.

Fiat500USA
09-15-2011, 01:03 PM
I don't think J Lo is the right connection. Although, it may make lots of people who know her to also know FIAT. So, in that sense, maybe it will work.

Looking at Europe, the 500 is linked to stars and glamorous people, so in that context, I think she fits in. She even has a line of clothes in Sears (?), so she speaks to a lot of people.

Chris
09-16-2011, 07:39 AM
The commercial came on last night on FX... my wife said "she's the wrong fit for FIAT, I don't get it."

cmj912
09-16-2011, 08:33 AM
The commercial came on last night on FX... my wife said "she's the wrong fit for FIAT, I don't get it."

My mother said "I saw the Jennifer Lopez commercial. My first thought was 'I hope that he didn't see this; he'll trade the car in...'"

LOL

It does seem a little weird. I don't know anything about target demographics but I keep thinking about what that guy from FIAT of Denver said regarding the target demographic. I don't think the current FIAT customer is a JLo fan but perhaps that's who they want the most instead of relatively financially fluid adults from 40-60 with good credit and a genuine, already-established affection for the brand? Mayhaps there aren't enough of these to sell 25,000 cars?

Even the younger set, looking at the comments on Facebook, would have preferred something it seems more along the lines of the funky European art-house stuff we saw with the events in NYC.

This just seems like a very divergent concept.

I myself "don't mind" the commercial, I just think that if that was my first intro to the brand and didn't know anything else about FIAT I would have probably shrugged and assumed they are the type of car yearned for by the bling-bling set.

Fiat500USA
09-16-2011, 10:19 AM
... I don't think the current FIAT customer is a JLo fan but perhaps that's who they want the most instead of relatively financially fluid adults from 40-60 with good credit and a genuine, already-established affection for the brand? Mayhaps there aren't enough of these to sell 25,000 cars?

Even the younger set, looking at the comments on Facebook, would have preferred something it seems more along the lines of the funky European art-house stuff we saw with the events in NYC.

The first wave that have bought the 500 are the more mature demographic that you talk about and have some knowledge of Fiat from the past, you are correct that there aren't enough of those. They are trying to connect with the younger generation who have no idea of Fiat. These people have not seen a Fiat and haven't been here or on Facebook yet.

For more on what they are thinking, watch the Fiat press conference at Frankfurt. Olivier Francois, Chief Marketing Officer, gives some clues on the Lopez collaboration. The clip is about 9 minutes:

Fiat Press Conference at the 2011 Frankfurt International Auto Show (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2011/09/fiat-press-conference-at-2011-frankfurt.html)

Here is the Press release on the video clip. Interestingly, it is called a trailer for her video. They don't call it a commerecial.

The FIAT Brand and Jennifer Lopez Tie the Knot in New Music Video ProductionThe FIAT Brand and Jennifer Lopez form alliance

New Jennifer Lopez video, ‘Papi,’ features the all-new 2012 Fiat 500 Cabrio
New 30-second trailer for ‘Papi’ video, highlighting the 2012 Fiat 500 Cabrio, scheduled to air this evening during Monday Night Football on ESPN

September 12, 2011 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The FIAT Brand announced today its collaboration with actress, entertainer, philanthropist and entrepreneur, Jennifer Lopez. The first element of the relationship, scheduled to debut today around the world, includes the placement of the all-new 2012 Fiat 500 Cabrio in Lopez’s new music video, “Papi,” which is the latest single from Lopez’s new album, “Love?” (Island Def Jam). A 30-second trailer of the “Papi” video, featuring the 2012 Fiat 500 Cabrio, will also debut during Monday Night Football on ESPN. As part of the alliance, Lopez will appear in commercials for the 2012 Fiat 500 which are scheduled to debut later in the year.

“Like the FIAT consumer, Jennifer Lopez sees the world as her canvas and is not afraid to express herself; she is continuously drawn to projects that are authentic and real,” said Olivier Francois, Chief Marketing Officer, Chrysler Group LLC. “Jennifer fits perfectly with the brand not because of who she is but because of what she is – authentic, passionate, modern and a fighter determined to stand out from the rest. As you look at her career path, she embodies the FIAT philosophy, ‘Life is Best When Driven.’”

Debuting today by acclaimed director, Paul Hunter, is Lopez’s music video for her new single, Papi, which prominently features the all-new 2012 Fiat 500 Cabrio. Shot cinematically, the music video will also be seen as a 30-second trailer during this evening’s airing of Monday Night Football on the ESPN network.

The 30-second trailer will be featured starting this evening on the FIAT brand Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/FIATUSA and on the FIAT brand You Tube channel at http://www.youtube.com/FIATUSA.

PFVA63
09-16-2011, 02:36 PM
I just saw the commercial last night on USA Network (or at least most of it - I caught it part way through as I was changing channels). It seems fine to me.

Regards

Pat

YazminGess
09-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Hi,

I just bought my first Fiat 500c last night and was told by the Studio Lead that there was this great forum! So I decided to check it out. After registering, I saw this thread regarding JLo's commercial/trailer. I was indifferent about it. I am in my late 20's and I like JLo. However, I am a realist and I do not see an issue with the commercial. She made it seem fun, which I hope that everyone here agrees, this little car is fun as heck! It's stylish, just like her. It's a headturner, another characteristic of JLo's. It's practical, in which her Sears clothes line reflects as well.

All in all, I believe JLo was a great selection for the Fiat. Hats off to you!

Fiat500USA
09-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Hi,

I just bought my first Fiat 500c last night and was told by the Studio Lead that there was this great forum! So I decided to check it out. After registering, I saw this thread regarding JLo's commercial/trailer. I was indifferent about it. I am in my late 20's and I like JLo. However, I am a realist and I do not see an issue with the commercial. She made it seem fun, which I hope that everyone here agrees, this little car is fun as heck! It's stylish, just like her. It's a headturner, another characteristic of JLo's. It's practical, in which her Sears clothes line reflects as well.

All in all, I believe JLo was a great selection for the Fiat. Hats off to you!

Hi YazminGess, congratulations on your new car and welcome to the forum! :adoration:

sjmst
09-19-2011, 03:19 PM
I know some don't like the J Lo commerical. I don't know why not. I'm not a fan of hers, but I get that she is famous (and must have cost plenty to get). And no, it doesn't make it a "chick car."

Chris
09-19-2011, 05:18 PM
And no, it doesn't make it a "chick car."
'
According to a couple of guys at my gym who have seen it and know I have a 500 their consensus is it DOES make it a chick car and the 500 is better looking than J Lo :emmersed:

Fiat500USA
09-20-2011, 03:01 AM
Ran through the Taco Bell drive through yesterday and the young cashier said "That's the JLO car!" Genuinely excited to see it...

That's what Fiat wanted and it worked. I'm not the targeted demographic of the ad, but hey, they already have me (and YOU :soap:).

There will be more "legitimate" commercials (with JLo) coming. ;)

luckymoi
09-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Saw the JLo commercial last night during Castle. Wow! First Vogue and now TV. Bug bucks moves both of them... maybe critical mass has been reached for our cars?

KhalilWilliams
09-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Well, as the FB FIAT USA ambassador, I will admit, a lot of folks really don't like the commercial based on what's on their wall. An especially annoying part of the whole commercial is that it was constantly being played over and over.

Personally speaking, I find absolutely nothing wrong with the commercial; it also did not affect my desires for the car, for I've been wanting a car like this long before this commercial came around and I pretty much knew from the get-go that some folks were going to label it as a chick car anyway.

With that in mind, I've been thinking of an advert idea for the past few days; one that artistically celebrates the car's combination of form and function. One central theme that FIAT is apparently trying to have conjured in people's minds is "A Global Icon," right? While the implementation of famous celebrities and timeless footage of our little amico's predecessor upon which its looks are based are really sweet, there needs to be more than just that. We, the consumers want to know what makes this car such a celebrated icon and why we should be interested in such a car. Incorporate some of the car's desirable features, as well as its' fuel economy/consumption (even the car's combined MPG rating), the awards it has won and its' price, all while making it a commercial people will constantly be impressed by every time they watch it. Finally, make the car befitting of the company's slogan, "Simply More," for that is exactly what this car is: Simply More! Any thoughts? Comments? Criticisms?

sjmst
09-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Can someone explain to me what makes the J Lo ad, as claimed in an article elsewhere on this forum "the worst car commercial of all time?"
Like I said, I am not a fan of hers, but it seems like a quality commercial, professionally done. If Fiat did their homework and figured out the demographics of potential buyers, it should work.

PFVA63
09-22-2011, 01:10 PM
I agree. I'm not really a J Lo fan (I'm not really familiar with any of her work) but I don't think the commercial is bad at all. I think it shows off the call nicely. :confusion:

Regards

Pat

PFVA63
09-22-2011, 03:52 PM
PS. I don't want to get this thread off track or anything, but I can think of several car commercials that I would consider to have been for more questionable than this commercial with J Lo.

For instance there were those early Infiniti commercials, that didn't show the car at all. I know some people probably liked them, but I know it lead to alot of jokes about whether they were too embarrassed to show the actual car.

Another was those Volkswagen "Un-Pimp My Ride" commercials. I know I thought that they were kind of funny, but it also stuck me as kind of weird that a car company would kind of blatantly insult some potential buyers. And on the topic of Volkswagen, there are also those new commercials where they have changed "Punch-Buggy" or "Slug Bug" into "Punch VW" and kind of do a George Orwell 1984 like swap and just make like "Oh no" its always been that way.

Though the one that kind of really got me was one for some luxury car not too long ago, where an announcer is talking about all the safety features on the car, while some couple is driving along some mountain road (or something like that). Then there is an accident (I think a truck may have swerved or lost its load) and the fancy luxury car slaloms through safely while other cars on both sides of the road swerve off the road. I think some people commented that it kind of made it look like the rich people had forced the other cars off the road.

After having seen the commercial a couple times, it appeared that the company had a quick voice over added in as the luxury car drives on with the women in the car saying to the driver/husband(?) "We should go back and make sure everyone is OK", just to make the luxury car owners not look so bad.

Regards

Pat

FiatPhil
09-22-2011, 04:28 PM
I am older than the average JLo fan, but I see nothing wrong with the commercial. I don't get any sense of connection between the song or its lyrics and the car. However, as my friend says, "Anything that jiggles and makes noise gets my attention".

Since men usually buy cars, maybe Fiat needs a male sports star occasionally in the commercials. Maybe someone like a big pro football player, to show that men are right for this car too.

My two cents worth.

PFVA63
09-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Hi,

I wouldn't be surprised if something like that may come about once they add some of the higher power cars I believe that they are planning to their line up.

Regards

Pat

Fiat500USA
09-22-2011, 05:51 PM
My feeling is that the JLO / Fiat collaboration is a mutual benefits sought of thing. The first "commercial" we saw is considered the trailer for her video. A lot of her, her song and some of the car. Like I said before, there will be more ads coming that I'm sure will feature more of the car.

She is popular, attractive and a super star and probably not what the typical first wave of Fiat buyers had in mind for a spokesperson. But she speaks to a lot of other people and the ad does "POP" on the screen, so I'm OK with it.

pchop
09-26-2011, 11:29 PM
I find both the 500 and J Lo sexy as hell...but not together in a commercial; absolutely one of the dumbest commercial ever.

hey Fiat, if you are listening, fire the agency that came up with this idea and fire the exes that actually approved it.

txdesign
09-28-2011, 01:43 PM
I find both the 500 and J Lo sexy as hell...but not together in a commercial; absolutely one of the dumbest commercial ever.

hey Fiat, if you are listening, fire the agency that came up with this idea and fire the exes that actually approved it.

Completely agree. Fiat needs to re-introduce itself to the US as a brand, and using a commercial where the car can be seen for all of 5 seconds is stunningly off the mark.

Goldfinger
09-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Terrible commercial and personally I think a very poor choice for FIAT.

sjmst
09-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Terrible commercial and personally I think a very poor choice for FIAT.

Except for maybe this:

Some critics found entertainer Jennifer Lopez's first TV spot for the Fiat 500 to be a tired collection of musical and advertising clichés. Others asked why Fiat was running the music video/commercial, seemingly aimed straight at women, on football telecasts. The naysayers wondered whether the Fiat brand and J.Lo were even a good fit, saying the spot reminded them of another rocky advertising marriage -- to singer Celine Dion -- from Chrysler's bad old days.

Critics be damned. The initial J.Lo spot appears to be doing its job rather well, thank you. Consideration for the Fiat 500 subcompact has jumped 31 percent since the J.Lo spot hit the airwaves Sept. 12 during ESPN's "Monday Night Football," according to an analysis by Edmunds.com.

The biggest single spike in consideration came on Sept. 18 when it shot up 95 percent as Fiat aired the J.Lo spot on a number of National Football League telecasts, according to the Edmunds data. The 30-second spot is a combination commercial for Fiat and promotional video for a Lopez single, "Papi."

Olivier Francois, global chief creative officer for Fiat and Chrysler, defended the decision to place J.Lo on football games in a recent interview with Advertising Age, a sibling publication of Automotive News: "America is aware that there is a car. We needed that kind of spark."

Some unexpected factors explain the jump. More women than ever are tuning into football these days, according to The Nielsen Co.

The commercial's initial success is good news for Fiat, which has experienced several hiccups in its efforts to relaunch in America. The latest was a parting of the ways with its ad agency Impatto Custom Marketing of suburban Detroit. That agency had nothing to do with the J.Lo spot.

Whether J.Lo and Fiat will make beautiful music together in the long run remains to be seen. It's one thing to increase consideration and another to induce people to get out their checkbooks and buy cars.

Meanwhile, those who can't stomach the J.Lo commercial had better keep their thumbs close to the mute button on their remotes. More J.Lo spots are in the works. She will be featured in commercials promoting a special Gucci edition of the car, due in dealerships early next year

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20110928/BLOG06/110929893/1503#ixzz1ZMwUOKWu

cmj912
09-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Yup.
Much as I cringe at J.Lo shaking her bottom in front of the car I own, FIAT got what they wanted - attention :D - and as we talked about before, it probably wasn't attention from people who already knew about them that they wanted.

Still, the pals like to kid around with me: "nice car. J.Lo fan?" LOL

Goldfinger
09-29-2011, 05:44 PM
That may be the case, and I'm sure it has generated lots of immediate publicity , but as part of FIAT's longer-term strategy to re-enter the US market I personally feel that it was a poor decision. The last thing FIAT needs is for the 500 to be instantly labeled a 'girl's car,' as it is the only model they will sell here for at least the next year and they risk alienating a large percentage of the potential market by this female-driven campaign. MINI, for example, doesn't have that problem, but if they put female pop singers in their first major television campaign they might have had that issue.

Except for maybe this:

Some critics found entertainer Jennifer Lopez's first TV spot for the Fiat 500 to be a tired collection of musical and advertising clichés. Others asked why Fiat was running the music video/commercial, seemingly aimed straight at women, on football telecasts. The naysayers wondered whether the Fiat brand and J.Lo were even a good fit, saying the spot reminded them of another rocky advertising marriage -- to singer Celine Dion -- from Chrysler's bad old days.

Critics be damned. The initial J.Lo spot appears to be doing its job rather well, thank you. Consideration for the Fiat 500 subcompact has jumped 31 percent since the J.Lo spot hit the airwaves Sept. 12 during ESPN's "Monday Night Football," according to an analysis by Edmunds.com.

The biggest single spike in consideration came on Sept. 18 when it shot up 95 percent as Fiat aired the J.Lo spot on a number of National Football League telecasts, according to the Edmunds data. The 30-second spot is a combination commercial for Fiat and promotional video for a Lopez single, "Papi."

Olivier Francois, global chief creative officer for Fiat and Chrysler, defended the decision to place J.Lo on football games in a recent interview with Advertising Age, a sibling publication of Automotive News: "America is aware that there is a car. We needed that kind of spark."

Some unexpected factors explain the jump. More women than ever are tuning into football these days, according to The Nielsen Co.

The commercial's initial success is good news for Fiat, which has experienced several hiccups in its efforts to relaunch in America. The latest was a parting of the ways with its ad agency Impatto Custom Marketing of suburban Detroit. That agency had nothing to do with the J.Lo spot.

Whether J.Lo and Fiat will make beautiful music together in the long run remains to be seen. It's one thing to increase consideration and another to induce people to get out their checkbooks and buy cars.

Meanwhile, those who can't stomach the J.Lo commercial had better keep their thumbs close to the mute button on their remotes. More J.Lo spots are in the works. She will be featured in commercials promoting a special Gucci edition of the car, due in dealerships early next year

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20110928/BLOG06/110929893/1503#ixzz1ZMwUOKWu

Chris
09-29-2011, 07:40 PM
It happened to me today... I was in a parking lot and a lady walking her dog hustled over, "I just HAVE to get a look! I saw the J. Lo commercial and I really want one!"

The dog walker had to be about 60 :dog:

Fiat500USA
09-30-2011, 02:59 AM
A word of caution when you read some of these stories, there are inaccuracies and the usual people trying to gun down Fiat. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

First, Fiat projections were 50,000 units not 72,000. That averages out at 4167 cars per month. They are currently at 3,100 cars per month as of August. Remember, the national advertising campaign began in August. Until then, they only had Google ads and some blog postings ;)

Second, the commercial is the trailer for her video and even with the 5 seconds of car, it is grabbing interest and getting people talking about the car. I posted the Fiat press conference on my site two weeks ago where Francois explained the Lopez tie up, the trailer and upcoming commercials. Bottom line, her video has 10 million hits on YouTube.

Third, if you read the comments on the postings, the majority of people still look at Fiat from a forty year old perspective and obviously have an axe to grind. They don't get the car. They are engaging in the most common sport on the internet - Bashing and tearing down. I can't take what a hater says seriously.

Fourth, Fiat traffic is up since this commercial. Fiat500USA.com is on Google's front page and comes up number one on many search inquires, so I enjoy very good traffic and double digit traffic growth every month for years. The day the commercial first aired, my traffic was up 200%, on Sunday when they played the commercial all day during NFL telecasts, my traffic went up 180%. This month, I'm at a 45% increase compared with last month (which was also a good month).

Fifth, I read that someone said Lopez wouldn't be caught dead in a 500, that person doesn't know what they are talking about. In Europe, many celebrities own the 500 and have been seen in it. The car is even lent out at Ferrari dealers in Europe as a loaner car!

jdemonto
09-30-2011, 01:27 PM
You really can't go wrong Jlo....really she's hot! I think the traget demographics are female low to mid 20's and males of the same age. I also think older females will love the car...thats who bought our very first yesterday. It will be interesting to see what advterising will follow.

Jason

Fiat500USA
09-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Here is the whole Jennifer Lopez video for your enjoyment (?), there is more of the car at least. LOL

Eleven million views by a lot of people who have never seen and heard of a Fiat before... making a little more sense now.

http://youtu.be/6XbIuSLaCnk

pchop
09-30-2011, 03:57 PM
haha, this was filmed in downtown LA (the Empire State Building was CGI) by my favorite bar.

Nero
09-30-2011, 06:47 PM
I like it!

sjmst
10-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Guys, we can hate that ad all day long. It's selling the cars. What we think means jack sh.... :smug:

Fiat500USA
10-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Guys, we can hate that ad all day long. It's selling the cars. What we think means jack sh.... :smug:

Yeah, I don't really get it. Then again, I don't care for most of the stars of today, so I don't know WHO I would like doing a commercial. LOL

I think this stuff is really personal as far as liking or disliking a celebrity, but it can't be argued she has huge name recognition. Her looks also fit in with how cars are marketed in Italy - there are a lot of car ads in Italy featuring beautiful women.

panther76
10-05-2011, 08:32 AM

how would you determine that the ad is selling cars? the ad debuted on september 12 and had an enormous audience. it sure didnt help september sales. 2773 units, down from both july and august. not the type of sales arc a new brand is seeking.

if sales dont pick up, it is almost certain that new studios will not open up in areas where they are needed. more concerning is that the few that already exist will become fewer, meaning less places to get service, a smaller number of competent fiat mechanics, etc...

personally, i think the ad drove interest in jennifer lopez as much more so than it did fiat.

i think the mistakes happened a long time ago when they decided on the separate studios at chrysler dealers. they didnt need separate buildings, which made it cost prohibitive for many dealers. all they needed were small separate sales areas within already existing infrastructure. we would have seen many more dealers participating in the sales of fiat.

cmj912
10-05-2011, 08:47 AM
I don't think sales of anything are going to pick up with the constant rotten news about the economy coming out. A brand new automotive brand is a risk regardless - I mean think about how many have been tanked/downsized/retired. SAAB's on the brink, Volvo is...Chinese? This is a new era.

Maybe people are thinking about things like the upcoming holidays, and having money for them, which might mean waiting until Spring to start buying cars again.

I think the commercial was good for brand recognition and it certainly was an onslaught given the number of times it was on. I just don't identify with JLO though I do have to say I thought the Gucci 500 commercial with her in it is a good idea. Just don't show her in an ABARTH or no one is ever going to buy one :)
Just kidding.

Fiat500USA
10-05-2011, 01:57 PM
... i think the mistakes happened a long time ago when they decided on the separate studios at chrysler dealers. they didnt need separate buildings, which made it cost prohibitive for many dealers. all they needed were small separate sales areas within already existing infrastructure. we would have seen many more dealers participating in the sales of fiat.

That was what the original plan was to be.

Here is a story;

The day I met Laura Soave, there was a gentleman that came up to us while we were talking and said how he "would never go to a Chrysler dealer", etc., etc. Indeed, there were a LOT of opinions like that voiced here on the forum in the past and even now. Those opinions, research of who a typical Fiat buyer would be and the fact that Alfa is suppose to come, surely influenced them. You can read more on that brief meeting I had with Soave here (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2010/07/fiat-north-america-ceo-wows-them-in.html).

I think it's a good idea to have separate facilities as long as there are sales to support them. There is a lot of pressure on next month. Let's hope for the best.

sjmst
10-05-2011, 02:58 PM
....i think the mistakes happened a long time ago when they decided on the separate studios at chrysler dealers. they didnt need separate buildings, which made it cost prohibitive for many dealers. all they needed were small separate sales areas within already existing infrastructure. we would have seen many more dealers participating in the sales of fiat.

Well, maybe, but the quailty of the experience would have been vastly worse. "Oh, you want a FIAT, Tony sells those...Oh he's not here..How 'bout a Liberty we have a special..."

panther76
10-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Well, maybe, but the quailty of the experience would have been vastly worse. "Oh, you want a FIAT, Tony sells those...Oh he's not here..How 'bout a Liberty we have a special..."

no. there could have been the same staff dedicated to the fiat area of the dealership as there are now at the studios.

i think the extra exposure would have more than made up for those that would "never set foot in a chrysler dealership."

really now, many of the studios are sitting right next to, or literally attached to, a chrysler dealership. so people feel better because they walked into a different door. i give people more credit than that.

take my state (michigan) for example. kent and ottawa counties together have almost 1 million residents. not a single fiat studio. plenty of chrysler dealerships, none of which wanted to put out the capital for separate fiat studios. only the very dedicated fiat followers are going to drive 2 1/2 + hours, 160+ miles to the other side of the state (detroit) to check out a fiat.

you will only sell so many fiats in the major metro areas. people farther away are going to be scared off by the combination of a partnership in which both parties have a history of poor reliability and the need to drive 2+ hours in case any service is needed.

the strategy and marketing have just been awful and ineffective to this point (IMHO, of course).

Agent P
10-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Unfortunately there are no secrets between me and my husband who happens to work in television broadcasting on one of the stations that is showing the JLo Fiat commercial and he was already on the fence about the car being a "chick car" (and thus against me buying one since he'd be seen in it) way before Fiat even launched any ads for the car.... I just saw the commercial on YouTube - they are trying to market it to the 20-something hip-hop crowd. Whereas I listen to alot of that much is I am a DINK in my late 40s from originally of the punk culture. I think their live ad events like the one in NY and their print ads have been spot on it terms of marketing they should and need to be following along the lines of VW Beatle and Mini marketing. I think JLo link is a disaster but I will still buy the car, regardless. Now it is more of a harder sell - I may wait for the Abarth and try to remarket the idea to my husband that way.

luckymoi
10-15-2011, 10:45 PM
AgentP:
I think the appeal of the car is not for everyone.
A stong sense of self might be required along with a good matchup with the verious cues present in the car.
My sensabilities were an instant match... and the fact that my wife burst out laughing when we fifty saw the car in person!
The car is not under powered but the torque/HP curve is not the standard car sold here.
Like my motorcycle the car loves to have high revs.
There is definitely more on tap with high octane not eighty seven.
We have the cabriolet lounge which means six speed auto... a good decision in CA traffic.
Rev on!

Fiat500USA
10-16-2011, 12:35 AM
You can't sell an Alfa Romeo in a Chrysler dealer showroom. They tried it and failed. The European car buying experience is vastly different from a domestic buying experience. People want product knowledge and quality treatment. Plus, think of all the Fiat Studio design elements. Imagine that stuffed into the corner behind a Grand Caravan. I don't think a dealer could pull it off in a little pop up studio in the same showroom.

No doubt the separate facilities did put a damper on the launch, but I think it was a necessary evil. Let's hope the economy miraculously picks up in Europe, so we can get the Alfas, etc. promised.

Have Trumpet Will Travel
10-16-2011, 01:19 AM
O.K., let's think about this for a moment. The cooking channels are the up and coming shows, the car has an Italian heritage, it is without a doubt a cute car, any of you ever watch "Everyday Italian" on the food network? If you are married like myself (25+ years), your wife likes to bake, loves trying out new recipes, and watches the two food channels - THEN - my vote would be to have Giada DeLaurentiis star in the next Fiat 500 commercial. My wife told me she thought they asked Giada and she refused, so I rest my case. Just wondering . . . HTWT.

mocha
10-30-2011, 08:45 PM
OK chick car.....but guys with big '' BOLAS'' drive them

sjmst
10-30-2011, 10:20 PM
no. there could have been the same staff dedicated to the fiat area of the dealership as there are now at the studios.

i think the extra exposure would have more than made up for those that would "never set foot in a chrysler dealership."

While I see your point I still don't think it will work. They tried this before (Alfa in the 90's) and it crashed and burned. I know that my local FIAT studio is run in a totally different manner that the nearby Chrylser dealership...and it seems to be working well.

cmj912
10-31-2011, 08:50 AM
While I see your point I still don't think it will work. They tried this before (Alfa in the 90's) and it crashed and burned. I know that my local FIAT studio is run in a totally different manner that the nearby Chrylser dealership...and it seems to be working well.

I agree. In my area the Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Dodge dealer is a very different place. Which is why it is sort of a bizarre experience to go there for parts, etc., in the interim. I'd never go there otherwise. It feels very generic and cold.

My last car was a Honda and even they had big couches with a fireplace and a cafe in the waiting area. Their Chrysler franchise has next to nothing in the waiting area except for daytime TV.

I can't wait til the FIAT service area is open. I may not take it there, but it will be good to know they have their own.

For what it is worth, I don't think I would have been comfortable going to the Chrysler dealer to buy the car "over in the corner".

KhalilWilliams
10-31-2011, 03:48 PM
I will be perfectly honest about this campaign. As an eighteen-year-old FIAT freak, I am totally fine with the campaign overall. I just think that the only criticisms that I have against this campaign is the fact that it seems to me that they are putting emphasis on the 500C, and not the other 500 models in the lineup, such as the 1.4 16v Pop. If anything else, I personally would like to see an advert starring at least either Lopez or some celebrity or racer, such as Johnny Kanavas or Johnny Depp advertising any of the other models come up sometime soon. The other criticism I had was that, and this is just my opinion, whoever was in charge of the adverts overplayed the trailer to "Papi." Other than that, I think that the current ad campaign is okay! I am aware of what J-Lo is up to at this time, and I do understand that to some, she doesn't seem to fit right with the FIAT brand. I just think that they could focus more on the entire 500 line up and let people get to know all of the cars, and not just the 500C.

panther76
11-01-2011, 02:58 PM
hopefully, dismal october sales will spur fiat to really overhaul their marketing strategy.

june 1803
july 3038
aug 3106
sept 2773

OCTOBER...1,965 units. im telling you studios that are "planning" to open will just never open if this keeps up.

maybe J-Lo was hired by mini, whose sales went up again to over 5,400 units in October.

Max
11-03-2011, 10:48 PM
hopefully, dismal october sales will spur fiat to really overhaul their marketing strategy.

june 1803
july 3038
aug 3106
sept 2773

OCTOBER...1,965 units. im telling you studios that are "planning" to open will just never open if this keeps up.

maybe J-Lo was hired by mini, whose sales went up again to over 5,400 units in October.

I think it would help of they can deliver the cars they built. I've been waiting for a car which was built on September 5th. Two months to transport a car is a very long time. My sale could have been in the Oct figures. I also think they need to have the ABARTH come out to level the playing field. PLus allow the LOUNGE model to be available in either manual or auto. Imagine what would happen to the Mini sales figures if all of a sudden the Cooper S only came in an Auto. FIAT missed the boat in this one. I wanted a LOUNGE with Manual and did not want to take a POP and start adding non factory leather, chrome parts etc...

I'm giving FIAT till the end of this month to produce/deliver me a car in the colors I want. After that I may cancel my order further lowering their sales figures.

Just my two cents.

Max

msjulie33
11-04-2011, 09:40 AM
PLus allow the LOUNGE model to be available in either manual or auto. Imagine what would happen to the Mini sales figures if all of a sudden the Cooper S only came in an Auto. FIAT missed the boat in this one. I wanted a LOUNGE with Manual and did not want to take a POP and start adding non factory leather, chrome parts etc...

Just my two cents.

Those are exactly my $.02 as well - I have a 500c pop on order - so I could get the 5 speed - and when it gets here I'll be paying the studio to put some stuff on that would have just been there had this been a lounge... silly arbitrary model distinctions...

KhalilWilliams
11-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Thank you for saying that!!!

You probably don't know half of the people that would most likely buy a 500/500c Lounge with a standard transmission; hell, even one with six speeds!!!

I'm telling you now, if FIAT adds the option of a manual for a 500/500c Lounge, I will indefinitely make myself put down a $500 deposit for a custom deposit for one, and even wait until June for it; let that be my grad gift! :D

PFVA63
11-04-2011, 03:30 PM

june 1803
july 3038
aug 3106
sept 2773

Hi,

Looking at the internet here it suggests:

Cooper /S Hardtop -- 2,077 which is down -25.3% from last year
Cooper /S Convertible -- 399 which is down -19.6% from last year
Cooper /S Clubman -- 513 which is down -24.0% from last year
Coupe -- 414 (not available last year at this time)
Crossover (Countryman?) -- 2,012 (not available at this time last year)

So comparing like models it appears that Mini sold 2476 hardtops and convertibles compared to Fiats 1965 500's. If you include the Clubman you get 2989 vs 1965.

Additionally, just for reference for other small cars (from Automobiles.com) it shows 1516 new Beetles sold last month (in its 2nd month of sales) and Hyundai sold 3724 Velosters, but Honda only sold 289 CR-Z's last month.

Pat

panther76
11-06-2011, 09:41 AM
the trending is bad for fiat. a new brand and model should be building momentum. going from over 3000 units 2 month ago to under 2000 is a bad sign IMO.

looking at only the cooper hardtop and convertible last year October it was still over 3200 units.

my guess is those countryman buyers would have been looking at the other mini options anyway.

Hyundai really got the veloster right because it offers economy with style, but has some real utility. i see ads for it constantly focusing on the car itself and its features or utility.

the Fiat 500 commercial seem to focus more on you know who that the car itself.

sjmst
11-06-2011, 11:29 AM
the trending is bad for fiat. a new brand and model should be building momentum. going from over 3000 units 2 month ago to under 2000 is a bad sign IMO.

looking at only the cooper hardtop and convertible last year October it was still over 3200 units.

my guess is those countryman buyers would have been looking at the other mini options anyway.

Hyundai really got the veloster right because it offers economy with style, but has some real utility. i see ads for it constantly focusing on the car itself and its features or utility.

the Fiat 500 commercial seem to focus more on you know who that the car itself.

Marketing in the USA was never FIAT's strong point. Let's see if they learn and move on.

KhalilWilliams
11-06-2011, 01:07 PM
That's a crying shame; I never really knew that about FIAT in America. :sour:

That really makes me hope that they do learn their lessons and apply what they have learned with the advent of the new 500 Abarth. Based on what I initially saw on the page for the NAFTA-spec 500 Abarth, they seem to have been doing a good job. Hopefully, they don't let that momentum slow down and stop; maybe they'll even apply that to the regular 500 models. I still would love for them to have Doner of Detroit produce some sort of advertisement on the FIAT 500 Pop/Sport/Lounge, as well as the 500/500c by Gucci.

All this chit-chat really makes me wonder, can I get in contact with them? If so, I would like to express my comments on the advertising campaign, as well as those of everyone here on this forum and ask if they can do something to promote and raise awareness of the other 500 models in America, as of right now, especially the upcoming 500 Abarth.

FiatGusto
11-06-2011, 02:17 PM
A little off subject, but Italy's current economic problems kinda scare me coupled with the lower sales numbers.
For those of you smarter than I, is Fiat reducing marketing dollars based on current conditions? The use of JLO doesn't seem to have added
to much to the sales numbers. I am sure "she" didn't come cheap. Hopefully Fiat has not spent all of their marketing budget on just this one venue.

KhalilWilliams
11-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Thank you for saying that!!!

You probably don't know half of the people that would most likely buy a 500/500c Lounge with a standard transmission; hell, even one with six speeds!!!

I'm telling you now, if FIAT adds the option of a manual for a 500/500c Lounge, I will indefinitely make myself put down a $500 deposit for a custom deposit for one, and even wait until June for it; let that be my grad gift! :D

*Whoops* I meant to type in *order at the following sentence: "I'm telling you...my grad gift!"

Felnus
11-06-2011, 06:32 PM
My take on it is this: after the Jennifer Lopez spots aired, people began coming up to me and saying "Oh that's the car from the J-Lo commercial! What is it?" and not "Oh, that's a Fiat 500 like I saw J-Lo driving in that commercial!" In advertising that's bad. The advertisement shouldn't leave a doubt as to what was being promoted. My problem with the J-Lo ads is that they are confusing in that you can't tell what they are promoting; Jennifer Lopez, the 500 or her album or what?

I do believe that the Abarth will be a very good "Halo" vehicle though. People will come to the studios to check them out and while the may not leave with an Abarth, they might purchase a Sport or Pop instead.

paris franxe
05-18-2013, 10:50 AM
I am curious to find out what blog platform you are using? I?m experiencing some minor security problems with my latest website and I would like to find something more safe. Do you have any solutions?

Tweak
05-18-2013, 04:33 PM
I am curious to find out what blog platform you are using? I?m experiencing some minor security problems with my latest website and I would like to find something more safe. Do you have any solutions?

Welcome to the forum.