PDA

View Full Version : 2013 US abarth engine Multi-Air, or not?

Bruce Winter
09-01-2011, 07:32 PM
I noticed that at the Frankfurt show announcement only the abarth Punto will use the Multi-Air Engine, as mdified for performance. What about the 2013 US Abarth 500/500c. Will it use this new technology, or the old technology???

New Technology--Chrysler Group LLC Introduces Fiat’s 1.4-liter, In-line 4-cylinder, Fully Integrated Robotized Engine with Multiair Technology to Powertrain for the US 500/500c

Distinguished by a special chrome “500 Cabrio Italia” plate with satin effect, 150 cars will be produced with a 1.4 Turbo T-Jet engine that delivers an impressive 160 HP (118 kW) and maximum torque of 230 Nm at 3,000 rpm in Sport mode.

In keeping with its racing vocation, the Abarth 695 Competizione is equipped with a 1.4 Turbo T-Jet 16v engine – tuned to develop more than 180 HP - combined with the “Abarth Competizione” gearbox, an electromechanical gearbox with race-inspired steering wheel controls that makes full use of the engine’s performance by reducing gearshift times.

Lastly, the next new Abarth is actually not a 500, but a Fiat Punto. Called the Fiat Abarth Punto SuperSport, the special edition features a unique matte black paintjob for the hood and the roof—a two-tone livery originally from Grigio Campovolo. Power is supplied by the same 1.4L MultiAir engine as the 500 and is good for the same 180hp. Other mechanical upgrades include an upgraded suspension, brakes and exhaust.

Bruce Winter
09-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Let's hope this is accurate!

Chrysler Group LLC Transforms Powertrain StrategyJanuary 7, 2010 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Chrysler Group LLC is revamping its powertrain lineup with technology that will contribute to an overall fuel-efficiency improvement of more than 25 percent during the 2010-2014 period.
As a result of the new alliance with Fiat, the company’s five-year business plan has an uncompromising powertrain offensive, including a progressive vehicle electrification strategy.

“Chrysler Group will attain leadership by rapidly applying Fiat Powertrain technologies, such as Multiair, direct injection, turbocharging and transmission systems to its powertrain portfolio,” said Paolo Ferrero, Senior Vice President, Chrysler Powertrain. “By 2014 calendar year, more than 80 percent of Chrysler Group’s current powertrain lineup will undergo a complete makeover.”

In order to combine complementary strengths, Fiat Powertrain is the global center of expertise for diesel technology and small displacement gas engines (less than or equal to 1.8 liters). Chrysler Powertrain is the global center of expertise for large displacement gasoline engines and vehicle electrification technology. The primary goal is leveraging combined powertrain and vehicle knowledge to achieve best-in-class fuel economy for both companies.

New Four-cylinder Engines
Four-cylinder engine options are being expanded at Chrysler Group with the introduction of Fiat Powertrain's 1.4-liter, in-line four-cylinder Fully Integrated Robotized Engine (FIRE) featuring Multiair. In the early 1970s, the use of robotics in assembly plants was not common. The term “FIRE” came into existence when Fiat integrated the use of robotics in the production process of manufacturing plants. Although mechanized assembly is common today, the brand name FIRE has remained with Fiat’s powertrain lineup.

Two variations of the engine will be available, naturally aspirated and turbo. Both versions of the 1.4-liter FIRE feature four valves per cylinder and incorporate state-of-the-art technology for Fully Variable-valve Actuation (FVVA), also known as Multiair. Fiat’s Multiair technology significantly reduces emissions, while improving fuel economy and power. This sophisticated electro-hydraulic variable-valve actuation technology delivers an increase in power up to 10 percent, an improvement in low rpm torque up to 15 percent and a reduction in fuel consumption and emissions up to 10 percent when compared with similar engines without the technology. The Multiair system is based on a series of Fiat Powertrain patents related to hardware, combustion strategies and controls that allow for full control of the lift and timing of engine valves, independently on each cylinder and during each single engine stroke. Well suited for a small car application, the first North American vehicle to feature the 1.4-liter FIRE with Multiair is the Fiat 500.

Specifications
1.4-liter I-4 FIRE with Multiair
100 horsepower (75 kW) at 6,750 rpm
95 lb.-ft. (129 N•m) of torque at 4,250 rpm

1.4-liter I-4 FIRE Turbo with Multiair
170 horsepower (128 kW) at 6,750 rpm
170 lb.-ft. (231 N•m) of torque at 3,000 rpm

Another addition to the Chrysler Powertrain lineup is the new 2.4-liter, in-line four-cylinder World Gas Engine (WGE) with Multiair. This new engine stands as an example of Chrysler Powertrain’s rapid integration of Fiat technology. Chrysler Powertrain’s 2.4-liter WGE features Fiat’s Multiair technology that will improve fuel economy and specific-power output. In comparison with its predecessor, the 2.4-liter with Multiair delivers an increase in power, an improvement in low rpm torque and a reduction in fuel consumption and emissions output. A turbo version of the 2.4-liter WGE also is under development for future applications.

Specifications
2.4-liter I-4 World Gas Engine with Multiair
190 horsepower (142 kW) at 6,000 rpm (estimated)
175 lb.-ft. (237 N•m) of torque at 4,200 rpm (estimated)

Fiat500USA
09-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Power is supplied by the same 1.4L MultiAir engine as the 500

Wherever you got that description of the Abarth Punto “SuperSport” is incorrect. The Euro Abarth 500 doesn't use MultiAir, the US will.

Here's more on the Abarth Punto “SuperSport”:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-CfyNrHsUH58/TmBOC-jZyTI/AAAAAAAAJHc/R3b3yx7k1-M/s800/110830_AB_PuntoSuperSport.jpg

Abarth Punto “SuperSport”
“Heritage” is the element that distinguishes the special Abarth Punto “SuperSport” series, typified by a Grigio Campovolo two-tone livery enriched with a special matte black paintwork for the bonnet and roof, which interprets in its design an element in the past used on the racing cars to prevent the light reflections.
The exterior of the car is further enhanced by “supersport” graphics on the side panel and on the tailgate and by matt black mirror covers. The same colour also distinguishes the 18" alloy rims with dedicated Abarth esseesse design with red calipers and hub cap.

Powered by a 1.4 Multiair engine that develops 180 HP (132 kW) at 5,750 rpm and with 270 Nm of maximum torque at 2,500 rpm, the Abarth Punto “SuperSport” reaches a top speed of more than 216 km/h and accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in just 7.5 seconds.

Further contributions to performance come from the modified suspension and safety (some of the features of the “Esseesse Abarth Koni” kit), as well as the adoption of floating, perforated and self-ventilated front disc brakes with oversized four-piston red brake calipers, perforated rear disc brakes, high performance front brake pads, front and rear Koni shock absorbers with FSD (Frequency Selective Dumping) valve and specially lowered springs. The exhaust pipe oversized in the centre segment is also taken from the “Esseesse” kit.

Inside, this special Abarth Punto supersport features “Abarth Corsa by Sabelt” black leather seats, with red and yellow stitchings and gloss black backrest (homologated and lightened in keeping with the car’s racing spirit) and an Abarth Blue&MeTM MAP satellite navigation unit with a telemetric function developed in conjunction with Magneti Marelli. Enriching the interiors are the laser-treated aluminium kick plate with special “supersport” graphics, the stainless steel pedals with Abarth brand, and the leather steering wheel with double red and yellow stitching, just like the seats and the sporty Jaeger driving instruments.

Bruce Winter
09-02-2011, 09:25 AM
From your attachment:
Powered by a 1.4 Multiair engine that develops 180 HP (132 kW) at 5,750 rpm and with 270 Nm of maximum torque at 2,500 rpm, the Abarth Punto “SuperSport” reaches a top speed of more than 216 km/h and accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in just 7.5 seconds.

I assume Punto will use the US multiair!

Bruce

Fiat500USA
09-02-2011, 10:37 AM
From your attachment:

I assume Punto will use the US multiair!

Bruce

Yes, the US 500 Abarth will use the MultiAir Turbo, the European 500 Abarth doesn't. I may have not been clear.

The MutiAir Turbo actually made it's first appearance in the Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2009/09/alfa-romeo-mito-quadrifoglio-verde_16.html) , the Abarth Punto is getting that version.

Bruce Winter
09-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Thank you for the clarification and confirmation. I appreciate your knowlege and information. bruce

Bruce Winter
09-02-2011, 02:14 PM
What are your thoughts about a "double-clutch TCT gearbox" as in tne new Alfa Goulietta?

As far as the sexy Giulietta is concerned, Alfa will equip the car with its new double-clutch TCT gearbox which will be available for the model fitted with the 1.4-liter turbocharged MultiAir gasoline power unit as well as the one equipped with the 2.0-liter turbocharged engine. Both of these engines have a power output of 170 hp. The gasoline model will return 45.2 mpg (5.2 liters / 100 km) and CO2 emissions will be 121 g/km. Its more frugal diesel counterpart will do 52.3 mpg (4.5 liters / 100 km) and emit 119 g/km of CO2.

Fiat500USA
09-02-2011, 03:32 PM
What are your thoughts about a "double-clutch TCT gearbox" as in tne new Alfa Goulietta?

As far as the sexy Giulietta is concerned, Alfa will equip the car with its new double-clutch TCT gearbox which will be available for the model fitted with the 1.4-liter turbocharged MultiAir gasoline power unit as well as the one equipped with the 2.0-liter turbocharged engine. Both of these engines have a power output of 170 hp. The gasoline model will return 45.2 mpg (5.2 liters / 100 km) and CO2 emissions will be 121 g/km. Its more frugal diesel counterpart will do 52.3 mpg (4.5 liters / 100 km) and emit 119 g/km of CO2.

I'm a traditional manual transmission fan, however, the future is the dual clutch trans. It is easier to meet emission standards with that configuration. After reading about this, I'm willing to give it a try. The advantages like quickness in shifting, and technical aspect interests me. Keeping an open mind until I drive one.

geeded
09-03-2011, 12:01 AM
I don't care if the NA Abarth has an AVAILABLE auto as long as a true, stick & clutch is available. If only an auto =FAIL to me. YMMV