PDA

View Full Version : Fiat 500 oil change

Alvon Elrod
05-02-2011, 02:03 AM
I changed the oil today. Wasn't too bad:

1) Lift car front end with jacks and jack stands or wheel ramps.
2) Remove 6 screws so that engine under guard can be removed.
3) Remove engine top cover.
4) Remove 3 screws holding air intake plenum, loosen hose clamp from large hose that routes air from plenum to intake. Wiggle 2 other hoses loose, and take water overflow hose out of clamp at rear of intake plenum. Now, intake plenum can be taken out of the way.
5) Using 27mm socket, loosen oil filter cartridge. I was able to put my ratchet down close to the socket to back the socket out (3/8" ratchet, 3/8 to 1/2 inch adapter to connect to socket). Put paper towel around base of cartridge to catch any oil that might dribble out (only a few drops dribbled down the side). It's important to take the oil filter cartridge off first before draining the oil pan. If not, when you remove the cartridge later, the oil in the cartridge area will drain down into the oil pan.
6) Remove oil pan plug to drain the oil pan.
7) Clean out oil filter cartridge, then install new filter element (comes with new o-ring).
8) Reinstall oil plug. Fill with 4 quarts 5W-30.
9) Reinstall air intake plenum, engine cover, and lower engine guard.

I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

Alvon

cogtooth
05-02-2011, 06:54 AM
Here's how some observers would tell me how to do it: take the twist ties off the engine and remove the engine, then unsnap the top half of the engine off and take an eyedropper and add more oil, place the engine back inside making sure it is not upside down, use new twist tie to secure engine.

Thad
05-02-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm still curious as to what the proper jack point locations are.

Fiat500USA
05-02-2011, 12:58 PM
"Alvon Elrod"]
I changed the oil today. Wasn't too bad:

1) Lift car front end with jacks and jack stands or wheel ramps.
2) Remove 6 screws so that engine under guard can be removed.
3) Remove engine top cover.
4) Remove 3 screws holding air intake plenum, loosen hose clamp from large hose that routes air from plenum to intake. Wiggle 2 other hoses loose, and take water overflow hose out of clamp at rear of intake plenum. Now, intake plenum can be taken out of the way.
5) Using 27mm socket, loosen oil filter cartridge. I was able to put my ratchet down close to the socket to back the socket out (3/8" ratchet, 3/8 to 1/2 inch adapter to connect to socket). Put paper towel around base of cartridge to catch any oil that might dribble out (only a few drops dribbled down the side). It's important to take the oil filter cartridge off first before draining the oil pan. If not, when you remove the cartridge later, the oil in the cartridge area will drain down into the oil pan.
6) Remove oil pan plug to drain the oil pan.
7) Clean out oil filter cartridge, then install new filter element (comes with new o-ring).
8) Reinstall oil plug. Fill with 4 quarts 5W-30.
9) Reinstall air intake plenum, engine cover, and lower engine guard.

I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

Alvon

Nice write up on that. I forgot all about the air box coming off... Duh

I hate crawling under the car, so I will extract it from the top. I'm just waiting on the filters.

sketch
05-02-2011, 01:08 PM
author="Thad">
I'm still curious as to what the proper jack point locations are.

You don't mean the ones on the sides marked with arrows on the rocker panels?

Alvon Elrod
05-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Here are some pictures of the oil change, as promised.

Top of the engine, with engine cover and air filter box removed, showing oil filter location:
http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2900509/IMG_0450A.jpg

Under the car, on jack stands, engine cover removed, showing location where I used a floor jack to lift (before removing lower engine cover).
http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2900509/IMG_0451A.jpg

The oil pan, draining:
http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2900509/IMG_0452.jpg

A couple pictures of the air filter box (top and bottom), showing where 3 fasteners are.
http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2900509/IMG_0460.jpg

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2900509/IMG_0461.jpg

The bottom engine guard, showing the 6 faster locations.
http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2900509/IMG_0463.jpg

Oil Filter manifold with canister removed, and canister with the old filter and the replacement filter.
http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2900509/IMG_0464.jpg
http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2900509/IMG_0466.jpg
http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2900509/IMG_0469.jpg

ciddyguy
05-04-2011, 08:38 PM
author="Alvon Elrod"]
Here are some pictures of the oil change, as promised.

The bottom engine guard, showing the 6 faster locations.
http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2900509/IMG_0463.jpg

Oil Filter manifold with canister removed, and canister with the old filter and the replacement filter.
http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2900509/IMG_0464.jpg http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2900509/IMG_0466.jpg http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2900509/IMG_0469.jpg

Nicely done Alvon,

Looks like it's not too difficult, once you get the guards/shields off and the cross member looks like it is easily wiped off once the oil has stopped dripping onto it, nice.

Thanks for sharing the photos of your oil change.

Thad
05-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Yea. Wouldn't wat to lift it up by the plastic rockers! I'll take a peek at Alvon's pics here....

Thad
05-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Very Good Alvon. How hard was it to get the canister out of there? Also, why did you do it yourself since your maintenance is free for the first several years?

Alvon Elrod
05-07-2011, 10:09 PM
The cannister came out fairly easy. Once the air filter housing is out of the way, there is fairly good access to the engine. To torque back up to the recommended 25 NM (18 ft-lbs), I used extensions up through the opening around the headlight, and put my torque wrench outside of the engine bay (sorry that I didn't get a picture of that). To loosen it, though, I just put my ratchet down close to the 27mm socket, that fits conveniently on the top of the cannister.

I chose to change the oil myself for several reasons:
1) Dealer stresses that it isn't necessary or a good idea until the 8000 mile interval (or 6 months)
2) Dealer says that they cover maintenance only at the recommended intervals. I could have them change it for free at the earlier interval, but that would 'use up' one of my 6 freebies.
3) I wanted to send the oil to a lab to have it analyzed, just for the heck of it. If I had 'Chrysler' change it, they wouldn't be as careful to save the oil as I did. I poured it into a clean gallon jug for now, and will pour off the top and send a portion of the stuff that settles out to a lab for evaluation. I probably won't do that until June, but I'll keep you posted when you posted when I do.
4) I wanted to become a little more familiar with the nuts and bolts of this car.

Fiat500USA
05-10-2011, 02:47 AM
Alvon,

Do you have the part number for the filter? I am wondering if I can cross it over to a readily available filter at a local parts store.

Alvon Elrod
05-10-2011, 03:20 AM
The filter part number is 68102241AA. I tried to get it or cross reference at local parts stores, with no success. I ordered from Motor Village of LA. The price quoted over the phone was about 7.00 or so, but they invoiced me for $11.25 each for the 2 filters + $6.00 freight + $2.19 sales tax = $30.69 for 2 filters.

Fiat500USA
05-10-2011, 03:28 AM
author="Alvon Elrod">
The filter part number is 68102241AA. I tried to get it or cross reference at local parts stores, with no success. I ordered from Motor Village of LA. The price quoted over the phone was about 7.00 or so, but they invoiced me for $11.25 each for the 2 filters + $6.00 freight + $2.19 sales tax = $30.69 for 2 filters.

Awesome info, thanks. As we go along, I'm sure we'll have some more options.

Noz
08-31-2011, 04:15 AM
So you have to remove ALL that stuff to get to the filter??

Sounds like a lot of work frankly.

If using synthetic, 8K miles is not an issue at all...I'd even go to 10K miles.

Abarthlyness
08-31-2011, 11:32 AM
Alvon,

I am exactly the same way with my cars. I do my ownoil changes because I can do them at my own personal interval, and I know it was done right, and with care. So, a big THANKS and for the write-up and pics.

Also, have you had a chance to send out that oil for analysis?

Caio,

-Mike

Alvon Elrod
09-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Also, have you had a chance to send out that oil for analysis?

Not yet. Thanks for the reminder. I still have the gallon jug with the oil. I'll send it out right away.

Alvon

Fiat500USA
09-01-2011, 12:39 AM
So you have to remove ALL that stuff to get to the filter??

Sounds like a lot of work frankly.

If using synthetic, 8K miles is not an issue at all...I'd even go to 10K miles.

It looks harder than it is - the airbox basically comes off with 3 screws and loosening a clamp. The oil filter comes out and doesn't really leak much. I use an oil extractor and don't even crawl underneath the car. Everyone has their own comfort level with tools, etc., but it really is very basic stuff.

WIBOB
09-05-2011, 03:14 PM
What Oil Extractor do you use? Is it one of the simply ones that all you have to do is manually pump it up? I just looked at the dip stick and there seems to be a little bend at the bottom of the tube, it seems that this might pose a problem from what I have been reading. It would sure be nice not to have to remove all that stuff and crawl under to change the oil. The dealer can do it all right but I do not want to waste and hour or so having them do it, not to mention the travel time to get there.

Fiat500USA
09-05-2011, 03:50 PM
What Oil Extractor do you use? Is it one of the simply ones that all you have to do is manually pump it up? I just looked at the dip stick and there seems to be a little bend at the bottom of the tube, it seems that this might pose a problem from what I have been reading. It would sure be nice not to have to remove all that stuff and crawl under to change the oil. The dealer can do it all right but I do not want to waste and hour or so having them do it, not to mention the travel time to get there.

I use a PELA oil extractor, no problem. The hose is very flexible and gets all 4 quarts out. I'll have a story up soon on it.

italophile
09-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know what brand of oil the factory/dealer is using? If it's halfway decent I'd like to keep it consistent.

Bladecutter
09-29-2011, 02:54 PM
I doubt anyone's going to know the answer to that question.
I believe the engine's are installed into the car's body with the oil already filled, so you might need to find out where in the build of the engine the oil gets added at.

Plus, its also possible that the factory changes oil sources as the price changes.
So your car might be different than my car.

You are much better picking out your own oil, and using it.
At least if you do that, you will have consistent quality.
Even dealers change their supplier from time to time, as price dictates.

BC.

shil
11-16-2011, 01:58 PM
I changed the oil yesterday, for the first time, right on schedule at 13,000 km. I’d rather that I didn’t have to remove the air intake and covers and all, but it’s really no big deal. Twice a year I can live with it.
Torqued the filter to 25 and the drain bolt to 28 NM, as per the service manual for the PT, which uses what appears to be the same bolt.

ssyba
11-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Hi there, shil.
I just ordered a new Pop and will be eventually changing my own oil. Did you drain from the bottom or use one of those oil extractors? Hopefully the dealer that I use will let me hang out in the shop with them when they change the oil the first few times.

Scorpion
12-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Hi there, shil.
I just ordered a new Pop and will be eventually changing my own oil. Did you drain from the bottom or use one of those oil extractors? Hopefully the dealer that I use will let me hang out in the shop with them when they change the oil the first few times.

If you want to change your own, I highly recommend getting an oil extractor. They make things a lot easier, especially on a car whose filter is removed from above (like the 500s). That way you eliminate all of work and steps underneath (jacking, removing the bottom engine guard, drain plug, etc.).

I just changed mine today for the the first time, and switched to Mobil 1. Just make sure you have a 27mm socket and the proper extensions, as Alvon mentioned, to get the filter cap off before you start.

Thanks to Alvon for starting this thread. It provided me with everything I needed to know to complete the job with minimal fuss!

tensleep
12-28-2011, 11:25 AM
If you want to change your own, I highly recommend getting an oil extractor. They make things a lot easier, especially on a car whose filter is removed from above (like the 500s). That way you eliminate all of work and steps underneath (jacking, removing the bottom engine guard, drain plug, etc.).

I just changed mine today for the the first time, and switched to Mobil 1. Just make sure you have a 27mm socket and the proper extensions, as Alvon mentioned, to get the filter cap off before you start.

Thanks to Alvon for starting this thread. It provided me with everything I needed to know to complete the job with minimal fuss!

I intend to take advantage of my extended care at the dealership, but things can change, so I appreciate the writeup on the oil change. If I am reading this right, an oil change should become relatively simple with the following in place:

Correct sockets, extension and torque wrench
Oil extractor
Mopar Cold Air Intake - this part replaces the air box and plastic cover, exposing the oil filter canister permanently.

Hmmmm - I wonder if my dealer would trade the air intake, installed, for my extended care agreement?

EDIT: I have read some of the user reviews for the cheaper fluid extractors and opinions are all over the place. We use a big shop vac at work to pull the oil out of some of the reservoirs in our manufacturing machines. I think I may just purchase a cheap, small shop vac, dedicate it to oily work, and build an adaptor with tubing to reach down into the bottom of the sump through the dip stick tube.

wmo168
01-27-2012, 02:53 PM
How much oil is to refill back once the oil change done? I have to do my own now since All Fiat don't come with Maintenance

SeaDawg
01-27-2012, 03:59 PM
How much oil is to refill back once the oil change done? I have to do my own now since All Fiat don't come with Maintenance

Four (4) U.S. Quarts.

Rodrigo-nit
01-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Hi Folks,

I'm using Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/rpascuals/mobil1.jpg

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-30.aspx

Fix it again Tony
02-27-2012, 01:17 AM
The cannister came out fairly easy. Once the air filter housing is out of the way, there is fairly good access to the engine. To torque back up to the recommended 25 NM (18 ft-lbs), I used extensions up through the opening around the headlight, and put my torque wrench outside of the engine bay (sorry that I didn't get a picture of that). To loosen it, though, I just put my ratchet down close to the 27mm socket, that fits conveniently on the top of the cannister.

I chose to change the oil myself for several reasons:
1) Dealer stresses that it isn't necessary or a good idea until the 8000 mile interval (or 6 months)
2) Dealer says that they cover maintenance only at the recommended intervals. I could have them change it for free at the earlier interval, but that would 'use up' one of my 6 freebies.
3) I wanted to send the oil to a lab to have it analyzed, just for the heck of it. If I had 'Chrysler' change it, they wouldn't be as careful to save the oil as I did. I poured it into a clean gallon jug for now, and will pour off the top and send a portion of the stuff that settles out to a lab for evaluation. I probably won't do that until June, but I'll keep you posted when you posted when I do.
4) I wanted to become a little more familiar with the nuts and bolts of this car.

Whatever became of the oil analysis?

AMX
03-10-2012, 08:22 PM
I was able to get the filter off without removing the air box. I used a 1 1/16 socket with a universal and a few extensions. I could get my arm down from the top. But it would certainly be easier to see with the air box off.

Alvon Elrod
03-16-2012, 12:39 AM
Please see attached results from Blackstone labs. They were extremely quick to get me the results, and I appreciate the personal notes that accompanied their analysis.

Alvon Elrod.

Fix it again Tony
03-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Changed my oil for the first time today, at 4,000 miles. FYI, the lower engine guard bolts are 10mm, the oil drain plug is 13mm, and the filter is 27mm. The car sits too low for my floor jack to get under it so I used a pair of ramps to raise it up. I then made a custom 5" U shaped funnel piece out of an empty laundry detergent bottle that helped drain the oil pan without the oil hitting the cross bar, with a piece of duct tape to hold it in place while draining.
An air wrench made removal and reinstall of the engine guard simpler. I have a CAI, so no removal of engine cover or airbox was necessary. Afterward I took the three sockets and put them in a sandwich bag marked "Fiat oil change" to make the next oil change go even quicker. Now I just need to find a cheaper source for the filters!

Fiat Forever!
03-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Changed my oil today and it was a snap thanks to all of this good information! Thanks you guys!

Cindy

Fiat Boy
04-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Hi All,

Speaking of oil extractors (above posts), I purchased this one because it uses a 12 volt motor that runs off your car battery. It costs a little more than one of those extractors that uses a hand pump, but I like the idea of the motor working easier and faster. I bought it from here:

http://www.marinepartssource.com/newdetails.asp?mfgno=17860-0012&pnumber=J178600012&mfg=JABSCO&desc=14%20Quart%20Flat%20Tank%20Oil%20Changer

This just makes life easier. I love my Fiat 500 Sport.

Fiat Boy

rodneygt
05-28-2012, 03:41 PM
I changed the oil for the first time this weekend at 5,000 miles. I found the job fairly easy. Thanks for the write-up. I have a set of ramps I use instead of jack stands. I used mobil one synthetic.

Pinecone
06-11-2012, 01:17 PM
If you are going to do oil analysis, you want to get a representative sample of the oil, not after it has settled.

If you are draining from the bottom, let some go into the container, then capture a bottle full (sample bottle) and send that in.

Blackstone sells a sampling kit that allows you to collect the sample from the dipstick hole, so you can grab a sample before taking it in for a dealer oil change, or if you use an extractor.

I use a MityVac on most of my cars. The hose will go into some akward tubes. I even use it to do the tranny oil in a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Toni Prepper
08-22-2012, 11:02 PM
I took Mobile 1 to the dealer and had the oil changed @ 2000 miles, per the Mobile 1 website. Now my odometer is at 3725 and the general problem light (Yellow triangle with ! inside) is coming on and saying I need to change the oil. How can I get the computer to "reset"?

trevc
08-23-2012, 09:58 AM
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.(Do not
start the engine.)
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly, three times
within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.

Sterling_Aug
08-23-2012, 12:56 PM
It looks harder than it is - the airbox basically comes off with 3 screws and loosening a clamp. The oil filter comes out and doesn't really leak much. I use an oil extractor and don't even crawl underneath the car. Everyone has their own comfort level with tools, etc., but it really is very basic stuff.

What air box? I took that off completely when I installed a short ram air intake with a K&N high performance air filter. LOL

Phil
03-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Here's how some observers would tell me how to do it: take the twist ties off the engine and remove the engine, then unsnap the top half of the engine off and take an eyedropper and add more oil, place the engine back inside making sure it is not upside down, use new twist tie to secure engine.

Today I did the first oil change on my wife's 500. First, it is not too difficult to avoid upside down engine replacement, just make sure the hook for the rubber bands faces the rear of the car, you can't go wrong.
Also, I took the opportunity to refill the feedbox on the squirrelcage while I had the top of the engine off.

Robert Nixon
03-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Today I did the first oil change on my wife's 500. First, it is not too difficult to avoid upside down engine replacement, just make sure the hook for the rubber bands faces the rear of the car, you can't go wrong.
Also, I took the opportunity to refill the feedbox on the squirrelcage while I had the top of the engine off.

nice! Welcome to the forum!

Spyrule
05-18-2015, 10:12 AM
Has anybody tried a fumoto valve or quikvalve setup, to make draining easier?

aelfwyne
05-18-2015, 10:35 AM
Has anybody tried a fumoto valve or quikvalve setup, to make draining easier?

I used a liquid vacuum canister ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001445IZ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) to do mine. Easy as pie.

The only problem I had (unreleaded to the pump) was that I managed to spill a lot of oil removing the filter. Not sure how to do it cleanly. I had placed blue towels around the filter housing, but they didn't catch a fraction of what poured out.

SeaDawg
05-18-2015, 12:09 PM
I used a liquid vacuum canister ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001445IZ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) to do mine. Easy as pie.

The only problem I had (unreleaded to the pump) was that I managed to spill a lot of oil removing the filter. Not sure how to do it cleanly. I had placed blue towels around the filter housing, but they didn't catch a fraction of what poured out.

I'm not speaking from experience, but did you loosen the filter BEFORE attempting to remove the oil from the sump. I understand it takes some period of time for the filter to drain into the sump and if you don't loosen it BEFORE you drain the sump you don't get all the old oil out of the engine.

Just passing along a hint...as I said I have NEVER personally changed the oil in either my Sport or Abarth. It's amazing how your perspective changes as you get older.

Fiat500USA
05-18-2015, 12:25 PM
I'm not speaking from experience, but did you loosen the filter BEFORE attempting to remove the oil from the sump. I understand it takes some period of time for the filter to drain into the sump and if you don't loosen it BEFORE you drain the sump you don't get all the old oil out of the engine.

Just passing along a hint...as I said I have NEVER personally changed the oil in either my Sport or Abarth. It's amazing how your perspective changes as you get older.

Good point SeaDawg. You must remove the filter first or you will not get all the old oil out when you drain it.

aelfwyne
05-18-2015, 12:29 PM

Yep, I loosened the filter before draining. However, I probably should have waited longer to actually remove it.

As far as changing my own oil - I mostly just don't trust oil change shops with it on this car, since few are likely to have the filter in stock, etc. I actually had one more free oil change left, but no time away from work to drive an hour out of my way for a 3 hour wait on the oil change.

SeaDawg
05-18-2015, 05:11 PM
As far as changing my own oil - I mostly just don't trust oil change shops with it on this car, since few are likely to have the filter in stock, etc. I actually had one more free oil change left, but no time away from work to drive an hour out of my way for a 3 hour wait on the oil change.

I'm with you on oil change shops. They will NEVER get the opportunity to change the oil in my Abarth or my Pop. We have TWO FIAT dealer/studios here in Orlando, the one where I do business is a small, heart of downtown, place with a 2 or 3 lift service department in the rear. It was years before they got a 2nd tech, but I make an appointment and it doesn't take me 3 hrs for just an oil change. Sorry, to hear it ties you up that long.

ERM Racing
07-25-2015, 12:52 PM
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.(Do not
start the engine.)
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly, three times
within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.

I'm coming up to my first oil change on our 2015 Sport (just under 3k miles now). I'm guessing in order to 'reset the clock' on the warning light I should perform the above steps when the oil change is complete?

Thanks,
Dave

Felnus
07-26-2015, 08:14 AM
I'm coming up to my first oil change on our 2015 Sport (just under 3k miles now). I'm guessing in order to 'reset the clock' on the warning light I should perform the above steps when the oil change is complete?

Thanks,
Dave

That's correct. Although your oil indicator shouldn't be coming on for a while.

Mr_Ritka
08-19-2015, 01:38 AM
I, too, am about to change oil for the first time on Little Giuseppe. I have always used synthetic on previous cars and will continue that with the Fiat. Is the lifetime the same for this car? 6k miles or so? I'll probably stick with a 5w-30 penzoil or Mobil one. Hopefully I can do this with no complications....otherwise, what do the studios charge for maintenance like this?

Spyrule
08-19-2015, 08:52 AM
Why would you change your oil weight?
Its generally a bad idea to change oil weights. Or if you do, change the first number not the second.

Mr_Ritka
08-19-2015, 03:47 PM
Not changing oil weight, (using synthetic) sticking with the 5w-30 unless that's not the recommended type?

B3NN3TT
08-19-2015, 04:45 PM
Not changing oil weight, (using synthetic) sticking with the 5w-30 unless that's not the recommended type?

5W-40 is the recommended weight. Says so on the oil filler cap :)

Spyrule
08-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Thx, beat me to it

Fiat500USA
08-19-2015, 06:19 PM
It is conventional 5W30 in a naturally aspirated 1.4L. You can choose synthetic if you care too.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xohIFRuGtW0/VdUDSgLe7hI/AAAAAAAAl7s/MGWiydKdv0A/s800-Ic42/Fiat500USA-Fiat_500_Oil_Change%252520023-001b.jpg

Spyrule
08-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Ahh, well good to know!

Trunkout
08-19-2015, 07:09 PM
Who still uses conventional oil? Seriously!

Tiny Turbo
08-19-2015, 08:48 PM
Most modern trucks and muscle cars with ancient dinosaur pushrod v8's still use conventional oil. In a modern car like ours I would stick to synthetic because it doesn't sludge and plug up all the fancy new delicate technology under the hood. Multiair.

Sludge is a very bad thing.

Mr_Ritka
08-28-2015, 06:25 PM
Just checked, mine uses 5w-30. Using synthetic, will this go further than 6k miles before another change? 8k?

Fabio13
08-28-2015, 06:58 PM
Just checked, mine uses 5w-30. Using synthetic, will this go further than 6k miles before another change? 8k?
Are you in a Pop/Sport? Depends on your driving habits of city/hwy. I go about 8,000miles so far. Also use a synthetic.

ERM Racing
10-15-2015, 07:23 AM
I, too, am about to change oil for the first time on Little Giuseppe. I have always used synthetic on previous cars and will continue that with the Fiat. Is the lifetime the same for this car? 6k miles or so? I'll probably stick with a 5w-30 penzoil or Mobil one. Hopefully I can do this with no complications....otherwise, what do the studios charge for maintenance like this?

Just had the local Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer do the first oil/filter change on our '15 Sport at 6200 miles. Opted to switch to synthetic and will shoot for 6k miles between changes. Obviously charges differ from place to place, but we paid about $55 for the service which included a 31 point checkup and short road test.

Dave

FITITO
12-15-2016, 12:18 PM
Hello all,

I now have just over 45,000 miles on my Fiat. I changed the original oil at round 4k miles and had it tested at Blackstone. I have been going for about one year and 8K miles. You can see the attached lab results, I have been throwing away perfectly good oil at 8K miles. I am using Mobile-1 5w30. I have been using Mobile 1 on my E Class (0W 40), Audi (10W 30), and Porsche (20W 50) for many years without ever having any issues. I have kept synthetic oil for as long as 2 years and 14,500 miles in my cars, when I had those oil samples tested, the oil has also been perfectly fine. Granted, that many miles on oil is only OK because the E Class has an actual oil quality sensor and takes 8.5 quarts of oil.

I am changing my oil on the Fiat tomorrow. It just now hit 10,000 miles, I will share my results when I get them. I shift at about 2,000 to 2,500 RPMS, I drive country roads that have a 50 MPH speed limit (so I rarely go over 55 in 5th gear). I average about 46 MPG per tank and about 35 MPH per tank. The car never sits at idle, really. On this oil, I have just under 300 hours of use. My oil level is still full and it does not look very dirty. As another measure of my driving style, I just now replaced the original Conti tires (45,000) and my brakes are at over 95% left!

The shop that works on my Audi uses Fiats as loaner cars. I have driven two of their Fiats (they had about 50,000 miles on them), my engine is whisper quiet and very smooth compared to those of the loaner cars. I have been very impressed at how smoothly and well-behaved this engine has been. Since this is a slow car, I just never floor it or stress it since there is no point. I have gotten as much as 50 MPGs out of a tank!

Oil should be used to the fullest since it is hard on the environment, but replacing an engine is not good either. I think that 10,000 oil change interval will be excellent on a small engine with only 4 liters of oil in it (give or take).

Steven

Southernroadrunner
12-15-2016, 12:58 PM
I would be interested in seeing the oil test results on an Abarth or a Turbo car.Your post is very interesting.

thelatemodeltech
12-16-2016, 07:14 PM
My intensions are not to offend anyone. Master Tech puzzled by Fiat oil change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJLnEVGtyRM

Southernroadrunner
12-16-2016, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the video. Now I know why I take mine to a service center.

Fiat500USA
12-17-2016, 01:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJLnEVGtyRM

For me, that's the litmus test on a "master tech's" ability if he can't deal with the oil filter on a 500. L_A_Z_Y. Dripping oil all over a customers car without even trying to minimize it is sloppy. Cramming a new filter against filthy engine components and jamming dirt into the filter is atrocious work. Those guys would have been fired on the spot in the shops I worked at.

If a few minutes is spent removing obstacles a proper job can be done with less hassles. Their shortcut now takes more time because now they have to look for a socket and it's doubtful they cleaned up the oil they spewed all over the car not to mention the scratches and nicks from them slamming their extension against the body of the car. The only thing junky here was their lack of caring and skill.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yMICMamN2qs/T6vMqJoRErI/AAAAAAAAL_k/ws-Hgkd9Pjc/s600/Fiat500USA-Fiat_500_Oil_Change%2520028.JPG

Just remove the cover. It pulls right off for crying out loud!

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UvnvlIDFBgQ/T6vPnghClKI/AAAAAAAAMAE/8oNVAlQQhXMT7BuLPXIHxH7Whgoc1GmXQCPcB/s650/Fiat500USA.com-Fiat_500_Oil_change.jpg

Two hoses...

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-nCzAAyHrhfc/T6vPzEn8dOI/AAAAAAAAMAM/gTmWK8wP6oAghPhnaKAzC2TQi3y5BTgkwCPcB/s650/Fiat500USA.com-Fiat_500_Plenum.jpg

Three screws...

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nM4uGZz8vSg/T6vY5o-uGaI/AAAAAAAAMB0/lcAWHVjyTbcuMBjKwWItSe-dTx5-LMZYwCPcB/s650/Fiat500USA-Fiat_500_Oil_Change%2B078.JPG

A few screws and yank off a hose or two and the airbox is out...

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OhUjrNJvLn8/T6vZ7uMjEKI/AAAAAAAAMCs/ol714gjR3G8WFHBAZgWpSzncPRU8TU93wCPcB/s650/Fiat500USA-Fiat_500_Oil_Change%2B102.JPG

Wow, guess what, there is room to get the filter out and while you are at it, put some rags down there to catch the dripping oil.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Tp1f4EbqSOI/T6vgr91UZGI/AAAAAAAAMFc/q2ST8z9CmdMQEpfWIkm6-NZaxN92YUzpQCPcB/s650/Fiat500USA-Fiat_500_Oil_Change%2B145.JPG

no struggles here...

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5t7Mgm8g0Ac/T6vg3KlMDeI/AAAAAAAAMFk/V9558QL2S5c6BGL0Zs4cxG2ffZ2_krM5wCPcB/s650/Fiat500USA-Fiat_500_Oil_Change%2B148.JPG

There is even room to use a ratchet like a human and not smash it into a headlight or radiator support.

My suggestion for an owner working on any sophisticated or tightly packaged car is slow down, and watch the shortcuts because they can cost you in the long run. When you are done you can have the satisfaction of doing a job well done and better than the so-called professionals in the video. Never let anyone who thinks whatever you own is junk work on your car. That's the kind of crap job you get.

ice445
12-17-2016, 01:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJLnEVGtyRMYou have to consider that with such a small car, there are packaging requirements that tends to make certain items end up in puzzling places like this. I highly doubt it's intentional. With that said, the cheat code you need to know is literally shown in this video. I was able to figure it out myself after some derping around. Then it's just a matter of turning the oil filter canister upsidedown and fishing it out of the hole. There are actually worse oil filter locations out there. Like Subaru and Honda Civics for example. Also, I do agree with the above poster that there's no real need for the shortcut. It's not like there's an immense amount of work to do to get proper access. I just like it because I have small hands and can easily manipulate the filter without making a mess.http://i.imgur.com/Gxl7FCO.jpg

bryanintowson
12-17-2016, 10:21 AM
Anyone tried Rotella in our 1.4?

Trunkout
12-17-2016, 11:40 AM
Rotella T6 is all I use in my Abarth.

streetsurfer
12-17-2016, 11:41 AM
Is there a difference in filter access room between the Abarth and standard models? I know the bumper cover is extended for turbo and equipment room, but does that also move the front core support forward a bit on Abarth?

I was shocked by their approach in the video, and opposite to southernroadrunner, I said to myself "that's exactly why I do my own work".

Mokie
12-17-2016, 12:31 PM
Have not had to change oil since my purchase, the oil is fresh as a daisy at this time. But, I will go to my Fiat dealer when the time comes. Probably change it at 20000 to establish a baseline. I am currently just under 18000 with my 2012.

Fiat500USA
12-17-2016, 12:38 PM
Anyone tried Rotella in our 1.4?

I just went through and tagged a bunch of threads on Rotella for you. :thumbsup:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/tags.php?tag=rotella

Fiat500USA
12-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Is there a difference in filter access room between the Abarth and standard models? I know the bumper cover is extended for turbo and equipment room, but does that also move the front core support forward a bit on Abarth?

I was shocked by their approach in the video, and opposite to southernroadrunner, I said to myself "that's exactly why I do my own work".

I'm with you on that!

The Abarth is about the same, but if you take off the turbo-inlet hose there's no problem. Plus if you use an oil extractor you can suck the oil from the top. It's really not that hard.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-M3JysqFhzw8/UEtYJVQ_94I/AAAAAAAANcs/aXgFN5LhA8M/s700/Fiat500USA.com-Abarth_500_Turbo_Inlet.jpg

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Kjt0Vy3xLrc/UEtbqATfAII/AAAAAAAANdw/i9jgRrVei2U/s700/Aug%25202012%2520086.jpg

More images and how to: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/09/fiat-500-abarth-oil-change.html

streetsurfer
12-18-2016, 03:07 AM
Thanks sir. Aside from the air filter housing being on in the video, I thought it still looked a little tighter than the Abarth;wasnt sure.

I've done one normal, and one with an extractor. Didn't make a mess, didn't gouge my arm, didn't cause the ingress of dirt into the system, got the cap out with filter each time, before separating them. But then, I go about 135# dripping wet, so that helps. Second time will be easier for this guy, I reckon. But, it wont be on my car that he gets his practice.

A short dedicated oil filter cap socket makes it much easier.

gincar96
12-18-2016, 09:53 AM
A short dedicated oil filter cap socket makes it much easier.

Indeed, add in a swivel a 12 inch extension and it's no biggie.

CoachRick
12-18-2016, 12:08 PM
Have not had to change oil since my purchase, the oil is fresh as a daisy at this time. But, I will go to my Fiat dealer when the time comes. Probably change it at 20000 to establish a baseline. I am currently just under 18000 with my 2012.

Beg pardon?

ice445
12-18-2016, 06:37 PM
Have not had to change oil since my purchase, the oil is fresh as a daisy at this time. But, I will go to my Fiat dealer when the time comes. Probably change it at 20000 to establish a baseline. I am currently just under 18000 with my 2012.RIP your engine if you're not talking KM, and even then that's way too long.

Fiat500USA
12-18-2016, 08:45 PM
I think Mokie just got his car in October. :thumbsup:

Southernroadrunner
12-18-2016, 09:00 PM
RIP your engine if you're not talking KM, and even then that's way too long.

I think he just got his car not to long ago

ice445
12-18-2016, 11:06 PM
I think he just got his car not to long agoAH okay, so he means when he gets to that mileage. Nevermind then lol

Southernroadrunner
12-18-2016, 11:52 PM
AH okay, so he means when he gets to that mileage. Nevermind then lol

Yes sir from backtracking he just got the car at the end of October because someone hit his other one

FightOn14
03-05-2017, 11:57 AM
Love this thread.

I started changing the oil in my 2012 Pop myself for a pretty solid reason. It was on my "before I turn 40" bucket list. It was mid-last year and I realized that I'm going to hit the big four-oh soon (end of this month), and I never learned how to change my own oil. Don't judge... it's just not a thing I ever got around to learning. So that, along with a few other things were my Pre-40 bucket list. Now, I actually look forward to it. I never was an "under the hood guy", but learning how to change Frankie's oil myself has let me get far more comfortable doing other stuff. It sounds weird, but working on Frankie myself as opposed to taking him to a shop makes me feel more like an owner-enthusiast instead of just "I drive a 500."

That being said, I don't use an oil extractor because I have a long daily commute, and to me it's better to get under there, pop off that guard plate, put eyes on the land down under, and make sure everything is right in the world. And while I'm down there, it gives me a chance to do a little cleaning and get some of the LA freeway crud out of there. However, I think someone mentioned a U funnel they invented to keep the oil off the cross support?? You have my attention!!! Pics, please!!

That filter is a sonofagun to reach, I'll admit it. Ended up having to use a swivel extension like someone else posted. And those filters are far more expensive than they need to be!! Any recommendations on a better way to score those little buggers with a discount? (previous recommendations in the thread are a few years old)

I put the Mobil full synthetic in there, because Frankie and I do a long haul on the daily and honestly... he deserves the top shelf stuff.

Spyrule
03-07-2017, 08:14 PM
As for the "u funnel" just buy yourself a fumoto valve with a nipple, the available nipple adapter (I'd buy a few), and buy a 3 ft 1/4" clear hose. This makes changing oil, much, MUCH easier.

Robert Nixon
03-08-2017, 10:19 AM
Price wise, it's always worth checking our sponsors, your local FIAT dealer, and a car parts store, as well as on line retailers such as Rockauto.com and Amazon. Even for common parts like oil and filters, there is a variety of prices out there.

Robert Nixon
03-08-2017, 10:30 AM
I just Googled oil filter prices for my 2013 Abarth, and the prices (on line, didn't look at shipping) included $2.12, $5.99, $6.39, and $19.99.

Some retailers sell a 3 pack of these filters, so if you see a 19.99 price, it might be 1 filter or it might be 3.

There is always something to be said for supporting your FIAT 500 USA Forum sponsors, and your local retailer.

Having said that, the lowest prices I could find were from www.rockauto.com

FightOn14
03-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Price wise, it's always worth checking our sponsors, your local FIAT dealer, and a car parts store, as well as on line retailers such as Rockauto.com and Amazon. Even for common parts like oil and filters, there is a variety of prices out there.

You were not kidding! RockAuto is the business! Gonna pick some filters and wipers up… in bulk!!! Good call! Thanks!

NCAbarth
06-16-2017, 06:03 PM
2015 Abarth automatic. Oil filter is a huge PITA IMO. Should be better designed.

ice445
06-17-2017, 07:24 PM
2015 Abarth automatic. Oil filter is a huge PITA IMO. Should be better designed.It's really not though. It takes 5 minutes to remove the intake piping that's in the way :/

NCAbarth
06-17-2017, 08:14 PM
It's really not though. It takes 5 minutes to remove the intake piping that's in the way :/ Agree, but we changed out the air intake and I spent 30 minutes last time trying to get it out of the bottom to avoid messing with the intake! Gave up and went through the top - didn't have to remove all that much. I would rather it take zero time than 5 minutes, but 5 is not that bad. :)

ice445
06-17-2017, 08:47 PM
Agree, but we changed out the air intake and I spent 30 minutes last time trying to get it out of the bottom to avoid messing with the intake! Gave up and went through the top - didn't have to remove all that much. I would rather it take zero time than 5 minutes, but 5 is not that bad. :)That's generally how it goes with shortcuts. You think you're going to save a bunch of time, but then it ends up taking 3 times as long as just doing the whole process ;)

pizzamann95
06-18-2017, 09:52 AM
I don't remember who told me this, but the said use a plastic bag on the filter, like picking up dog poop. It doesn't make it any easier, but it was a lot cleaner. I didn't spill a single drop of oil. I also agree with getting the fumoto valve. It makes things easier and it's not very expensive. As far as oil/filter go, I just wait till there's a sale at autozone. I paid <$10 with sale price and my $20 rewards.

Southernroadrunner
06-18-2017, 10:30 AM
Someone showed a while back an extractor pump or something so you dont even have to go under the car.Cant remember what it was.Just wondering if it gets all the oil out though.

pvflyer
06-18-2017, 11:11 AM
Someone showed a while back an extractor pump or something so you dont even have to go under the car.Cant remember what it was.Just wondering if it gets all the oil out though.

Yes it does just be patient. I bought the pump from Amazon plastic one from what I've heard the metal builds vacuum a bit better. I also recommend a long driver extension over 16" and a drive universal joint will make you job easier.

FOLLOW FIAT500USA INSTRUCTION AND WILL BE EASY

http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/09/fiat-500-abarth-oil-change.html

Southernroadrunner
06-18-2017, 12:05 PM
Yes it does just be patient. I bought the pump from Amazon plastic one from what I've heard the metal builds vacuum a bit better. I also recommend a long driver extension over 16" and a drive universal joint will make you job easier.

pvflyer- thank you for that patch.I saw that post a while back but forgot it.Thanks.

pizzamann95
06-18-2017, 08:57 PM

I use a 6" extender to a swivel joint to an 3/4"-1/2" adapter to the big ass socket for the filter. It works surprisingly well.

bw999
07-29-2018, 09:07 AM
Oil drain plug torque to 20 ft lb

Dax-n-his-fiat
09-21-2018, 08:24 PM
Has anyone had to replace the drain bolt yet? The rubber seal on mine isn't looking so great.. all the replacements I can find have magnetic tips, and a regular metal washer instead of a built in rubber seal.

hobbez
10-01-2018, 04:25 AM
Just wondering, has anyone used royal purple on their cars yet? Just wondering if it would be a good option (I have an abarth).

pizzamann95
10-01-2018, 03:03 PM
Just wondering, has anyone used royal purple on their cars yet? Just wondering if it would be a good option (I have an abarth).

If they have 5w40 full synthetic, then there is nothing wrong with it. Any other weight could cause problems.

FITITO
02-11-2019, 05:22 PM
I guess it is time to attach the oil analysis for the last few oil changes.

One the last oil change, I drove 10,526 miles, and the one before that, 10,049 miles. I drive about 11 miles to work and back on country roads, averaging 45 MPH. I shift early and I tend to average about 44 MPG per tank. I will probably leave my oil change interval at about 10K miles from now on, but it is nice to know that I am throwing away perfectly good oil still :-). The oil reports speaks for itself. The car has run perfectly since day 1, it now has 60,000 miles and I have never seen any oil consumption either. It is always at the full mark before I drain it. I am using Mobile 1 full synthetic, I have been using that on all of my cars with very good luck.

Steven