PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting "long trip" observations

MrFiat
08-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Wife and I took an unexpected "spur of the minute" road trip from Syracuse NY to Pittsburgh Pa.and BACK all this past Saturday. Round trip distance 780 miles. All of it on the Interstates 90 and 79. I did all the driving. Approximately 6.5 hrs each way. Started Syr at 5AM, 4 hrs there and back home at 10:30 PM. We made 1 stop on the way down and 1 on the way back. I filled the tank in Syracuse before the trip and once again in Pittsburgh. It was our first real road trip in the 500 Sport and here is our take on the car as a long distance road machine:
First, the little rascal is Comfortable! The air conditioners AUTO function kept the cabin at a comfortable 70 degrees all the way despite the fact that the outdoor temp was 93 and humid. Second, the car is quiet, even at highway speeds. No need to shout at each other in order to be heard as is the case in many other cars. We averaged 65 mph for the trip . With the air and cruise on all the way, we averaged 41.5 mpg on the way out (mid grade fuel) and 43.6 mpg on the return (premium grade fuel).
780 miles in one day may be ok for kids but not such a great idea when you're 69. Still, I'd do it again. The Fiat 500 proved to be comfortable, economical, and easy to drive even on the interstates. Oh yeah, at night the lighting proved to be excellent. We thought you might be amused with how the 500 and its passengers managed the trip. In a word, GREAT.

luckymoi
08-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Nice trip report!
And I am not the oldest of the lot who are responding on the forum... glad to know that, lol
Is your sport on or in the website garage?
Would not mind having a look!

Fiat_Ohio
08-22-2011, 04:40 PM
MrFiat,
Is yours an auto or a manual?

Abarthlyness
08-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the trip report! It's great to know that the little tiny car can actually be used as a little road-tripper as well as a commuter!

And 43 mpg on premium! Eat your heart out EPA.

sjmst
08-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Great feedback, good to hear!

MrFiat
08-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the kind response. Yes, I've just added a couple of photos to the website garage. My 500 has a manual gearbox. It started the trip with 1684 miles on the odometer. It was a nice "break-in" cruise. The '60 Abarth-Zagato is certainly fun to drive, but in some respects the 500 has an edge. It may not be quite as fast or corner quite as well (although it does corner wonderfully) but at least I'm not quite as paranoid about someone running in to it. lol Bought the car at the end of March but couldn't take delivery until the dealership get their license in mid May. It was a painful wait. The 500 replaces my venerable 19 year old Suzuki Swift GT. I think the 500 will make a great replacement. Now, as soon as the 500 Abarth makes its appearance -------:D

PFVA63
09-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Hi,

I took a trip today up to Maryland. On the way up I traveled mostly on Highway 495, 95, 32 and 295, plus some side streets (that typically with a speed limit of 45mph). By mostly keeping close to the speed limits and avoiding jack rabbit starts, on the way up I traveled 52.3 miles and had a mpg of 50.6 according to the trip computer, eventhough I hit a little stop and go traffic for a couple minutes. After running some errands up there, and making a detour to Herdon, VA on the way back, according to the trip computer I ended up covering 134.1 miles, at an average a speed of 40 mph, taking 3hrs and 20 minutes, with an overall mpg for the entire trip of 47.1 mpg, eventhough the return trip and detour had a lot more side street travel and stoplights, etc.

Overall I'm really impressed how high the mpg can get by driving near the speed limit and taking a little care when accelerating. :)

Regards

Pat

EugeneS
09-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Hi Pat,

This is impressive! Almost 50 mpg! Thank you for sharing you observations! :)

Eugene

Noz
09-06-2011, 04:03 AM
I think the key to the high mileage of this car is it's lack of weight...reminds me a lot of my 2000 Civic DX...I could not get less than 33 MPG with this car overall...regardless of what I did.

Now the only thing that really bugs me about the FIAT 500 is its very poor SMOG score...4/10 is not good at all...any ideas why that is?

pops
11-23-2013, 09:28 AM
the comment about age got my attention - I'll enter that race - my wife and I are 72, a little over a week ago we bought a 2014 500 L Lounge and headed south. After 7 hours on the road we were very impressed with its comfortableness, etc. getting within 30 miles of the beach I popped in Jimmy Buffett's (on the stick) Changes in Lattitudes... after 30 sec the transmission went out.... read about it in another thread.
Yes the car was/is comfortable , reasonably good mpg.... but reliability is ultra important to us. Don't know what I'm going to do. Our dealer and Fiat Roadside assist have been great to get the car and get/pay for a loaner. Several comments- the tow guy said he never towed a car with 500 miles on it ....