PDA

View Full Version : How are dealers handling the Abarth? (other questions)

Abarthlyness
08-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Hello ladies and gents,

So, I was recently able to call my local Studio, just to introduce myself to the Sales Manager, and give him my info. Sorta let him know that I would like to be on "the list" of potention Abarth purchasers.

He kindly took my name, e-mail and phone number and told me he'd let me know when he heard anything.

I knew more about the car than he did (not suprising), and he mentioned that the folks calling him about the Abarth, all seemed to be very well versed in all things 500 Abarth.

He told me that this car was meant for the "true enthusiasts" like myself.

At any rate, who all have gone through this step of getting your name on an "Abarth list"? How have your Studios been treating you/handling your requests? Are you being asked for a holding deposit? How much do we think this little bugger will cost? Do we think there will be any dealer mark-up?

In all honesty, I wasn't expecting the Abarth to come so soon. I heard late '12, early '13. Now, it's looking more like mid '12, and I am still paying my current car off.:(

What are everyone's thought?

Cheers,

-Mike

Chris
08-19-2011, 02:27 PM
My dealer has my name and will be calling me when they get their hands on one. No commitment.

CTTECH
08-19-2011, 02:35 PM
My dealer said they are going to give first preference to the current owners of Fiat 500's and are not taking names yet. I'm guessing there will a markup on the first batch of Abarths.

PFVA63
08-19-2011, 02:51 PM
I've been a big fan of the "no-haggle" pricing for the stock 500 specifically because it prevents any sort of "premium" being charged over the base MSRP for the more popular versions of that car. I truly hope that this will hold for all versions of the 500.

That's not to say that the Abarth base price won't be quite high as a starting point though.

Regards

Pat

fiat for life
08-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Ive heard from my local dealer that the car will be available first quarter '12

Jim McKenzie
08-19-2011, 03:29 PM
My dealer said they are going to give first preference to the current owners of Fiat 500's and are not taking names yet. I'm guessing there will a markup on the first batch of Abarths.

That's an interesting approach. I like the fact that they are rewarding brand loyalty, even if it puts me later on the list because I don't own a 500 yet. Maybe they will allow me to move up as an owner of two other Fiats ;)

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab358/nagasakee/Xand850.jpg

Abarthlyness
08-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. The gentleman I spoke with didn't say anything about giving "first dibs" to current 500 owners, but I guess it makes sense. He also said he didn't know if FIAT was going to have the same policy for pricing on the Abarth models.

What is everyone thinking the pricing will be? I've heard LOTS of varying opinions. As low as $21K starting, all the way up to $26K starting!

I personally was hoping to see they same pricing convention. 15,500 - 17,500 - 19,500... so it would make sense for the Abarth to start around $21,500... lol

Being that I may have to wait for the next model year, I may not have to worry. :(

txdesign
08-19-2011, 04:02 PM
I've read here about an official announcement at the LA autoshow in November. The "gotta have the first one" batch with dealer mark-up will be available first quarter of '12. For the rest of us, who refuse to go that route, I am thinking Fall '12.

Abarthlyness
08-19-2011, 04:12 PM
I've read here about an official announcement at the LA autoshow in November. The "gotta have the first one" batch with dealer mark-up will be available first quarter of '12. For the rest of us, who refuse to go that route, I am thinking Fall '12.

So, then I guess it's a good thing I can't snag my Abarth until my SRT-4 is paid off lol...

Lord knows, I'm not parting with my SRT-4 as a trade-in :)

Fiat500USA
08-19-2011, 07:11 PM
That's an interesting approach. I like the fact that they are rewarding brand loyalty, even if it puts me later on the list because I don't own a 500 yet. Maybe they will allow me to move up as an owner of two other Fiats ;)

Yeah, looks like you qualify!

PFVA63
08-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. The gentleman I spoke with didn't say anything about giving "first dibs" to current 500 owners, but I guess it makes sense. He also said he didn't know if FIAT was going to have the same policy for pricing on the Abarth models.

What is everyone thinking the pricing will be? I've heard LOTS of varying opinions. As low as $21K starting, all the way up to $26K starting!

I personally was hoping to see they same pricing convention. 15,500 - 17,500 - 19,500... so it would make sense for the Abarth to start around $21,500... lol

Being that I may have to wait for the next model year, I may not have to worry. :(

Some of the stuff I've seen on the UK version of an Abarth suggest that a 135hp car might start at about 13,500 GBP with the SS upgrade kit (which I think boosts power up to about 160bhp) potentially adding another 3500 GBP.

Doing a quick conversion that looks like a range of $22,250 to about $28,000, but thats just a rough guess, especially since there's bound to be differences between the Abarth sold in the UK and the one sold here.

Regards

Pat

newkoba
08-19-2011, 09:17 PM
the dealership i purchased my 500 from seems to have a decent amount of knowledge of the abarth, well as much as we can hope. she said first quarter of 2012 and it'll have a minimum of 170hp, but that was just speculation (since then apparently chrysler said it would have 170hp), and after talking price she seems to feel that it won't be much more than a lounge if any at all. she actually said that since it isn't the comforts of the lounge, but the sportness of a sports car that they might neutral out the pricing so it could be priced much like a current lounge. so that said, here's to hoping.

CTTECH
08-19-2011, 11:13 PM

Awesome looking cars btw! My wife just walked into the room and saw your post up on my PC and was "wowed" by your cars.

Bruce Winter
08-20-2011, 08:22 AM
I have placed a deposit along with a $500 check. I am hoping for early priority and the abarth list. Hopefully a abarth 500c is coming. I can't verify anything for the us, except the La show.

geeded
08-20-2011, 11:49 AM
I signed a written contract with my dealer back in March (?) before even the regular 500 went on sale and the dealers knew little about the Abarth. I made sure that it included an MSRP price and NO extra markups. It also stipulated that I would be able to order/receive the 2nd Abarth at my "studio". It cost me a $500 deposit (will be included to pay against the price of the car). It is refundable if I change my mind but they get to use my $500 free for over a year.....

It's probably too late to try this but it's worth a shot (just make sure you're dealing with the manager/owner or at least signed by him/you). I did it because I expect these to debut with a large dealer markup in most markets (they were/are Chrysler dealers after all), and I never met a dealership that didn't like ADM if they can get away with it. ;)

Assuming nothing stupid like a stock DSG, I think the MSRP will start about 1.5 to 2k less than the MINI S, ballpark $21.5 to $22.5k to start (not including destination, taxes). If Fiat is dumb enough to not make it with an available clutch/manual then someone can have my place in line. This is going to be my "ridgerunner" here in the mountains and I do not want or need ANY kind of auto. I have another car for trips.

cheers

Abarthlyness
08-26-2011, 11:42 AM
the dealership i purchased my 500 from seems to have a decent amount of knowledge of the abarth, well as much as we can hope. she said first quarter of 2012 and it'll have a minimum of 170hp, but that was just speculation (since then apparently chrysler said it would have 170hp), and after talking price she seems to feel that it won't be much more than a lounge if any at all. she actually said that since it isn't the comforts of the lounge, but the sportness of a sports car that they might neutral out the pricing so it could be priced much like a current lounge. so that said, here's to hoping.

This sure seems like wishful thinking. If the perceived demand has anything to say about it, I bet it will cost at least a bit more than a Lounge model. Something tells me that FIAT will be trying to make as much money as possible on these Abarth models, but hopefully they will stick with the "no-haggle" pricing. Tat includes dealer mark-up. The other models in the line-up are a GREAT value, so I'm not sure how much money they are actually making per unit, but my hope, is that they will follow the same pricing convention, and just tack on another $2,000 to the price of the Lounge, so $21,500 base-price.

If they can do this, and offer it with a real manual trans, I'll be in line with the rest of you :)

RacerRon
08-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Very nice cars Jim.

I expressed an interest in the Abarth to my dealer back in March. They have my contact info, but no deposit.

Abarthlyness
08-29-2011, 11:53 AM
So, I finally took the wife down to our local studio so she could check them out in person, and I could FINALLY drive one.

The wife absolutey fell in love with them. She said they look like a box of hard candy, without the box (all different colors lined up).

The associate seemed to think the the Abarth would end up being MUCH, MUCH more expensive than a Lounge. As in, he thought as much as 27K-28K!!

After driving the Sport (5 speed), I am starting to think that I would be better served by just grabbing a Sport. It's going to be my daily driver and commuter. So, gas mileage is pretty important. I'm seeing folks getting over 40mpg in the Sports. The Abarth would be significanlty lower, with 170 hp.

Afterall, I already have my little rocket ship. I'm not getting rid of my SRT-4, so it will become my second/fun/weekend/race car.

Do I really need another turbo car?

I had a TON of fun just scooting around in the Sport yesterday. Not only did it feel plenty adequate (101hp), but that was with THREE people in the car ;)

Anywho, given my current situation, what do you all think?? Your input is much appreciated.

Reaperman
08-30-2011, 01:45 PM
The associate seemed to think the the Abarth would end up being MUCH, MUCH more expensive than a Lounge. As in, he thought as much as 27K-28K!!

Gosh I hope not. That would certainly make it a tough choice getting me into that car vs. a used 2-seater, or even a new Miata. I don't know if the FIAT dealers really have much more info than we do on the subject, and I'm hoping that pricing will be officially released at the LA auto show. I set up a simple ratio between the US base 500 and the UK equal, and compared it to the UK abarth (130hp) to give me a very rough unscientific guess at pricing. I got something under $21k.

If I had your SRT-4 for blasting down country roads, I'm not sure I'd feel my current need for another car that's a bit more special than standard. 101hp is enough for a car that size, but since I've been suffering with a Korean car for the last 7 years, I personally feel the need to treat myself. I plan on going for stickers too...

SeaDawg
08-30-2011, 02:02 PM

After driving the Sport (5 speed), I am starting to think that I would be better served by just grabbing a Sport. It's going to be my daily driver and commuter. So, gas mileage is pretty important. I'm seeing folks getting over 40mpg in the Sports. The Abarth would be significanlty lower, with 170 hp.

I had a TON of fun just scooting around in the Sport yesterday. Not only did it feel plenty adequate (101hp), but that was with THREE people in the car ;)

I suspect your Sales Associate is dead on and the Abarth will cost $25,000 and UP. Do you need another turbo...probably not. Just think with the Sport you'd have the best of both worlds; the fire breathing Princess and the Frog. :frog:<sorry...tried to contain myself, but I espcaped> You know what I mean. There are a lot of people in here who complain vociferously, but even they complain about the people in the dealership, corporate, etc., not the mechanicals of the car which so far appear to be pretty darn reliable. Only time will tell how durable the solenoid controlled oil operated intake valve system will be.

I would suggest begging a test drive in a Pop...same engine, transmission...less cost....not as fancy, a little softer ride, but then you already have the Princess.

I suspect you're going to find the keys gone along with the wife once you get one.:friendly_wink:

Abarthlyness
08-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Gosh I hope not. That would certainly make it a tough choice getting me into that car vs. a used 2-seater, or even a new Miata. I don't know if the FIAT dealers really have much more info than we do on the subject, and I'm hoping that pricing will be officially released at the LA auto show. I set up a simple ratio between the US base 500 and the UK equal, and compared it to the UK abarth (130hp) to give me a very rough unscientific guess at pricing. I got something under $21k.

If I had your SRT-4 for blasting down country roads, I'm not sure I'd feel my current need for another car that's a bit more special than standard. 101hp is enough for a car that size, but since I've been suffering with a Korean car for the last 7 years, I personally feel the need to treat myself. I plan on going for stickers too...

I suspect your Sales Associate is dead on and the Abarth will cost $25,000 and UP. Do you need another turbo...probably not. Just think with the Sport you'd have the best of both worlds; the fire breathing Princess and the Frog. :frog:<sorry...tried to contain myself, but I espcaped> You know what I mean. There are a lot of people in here who complain vociferously, but even they complain about the people in the dealership, corporate, etc., not the mechanicals of the car which so far appear to be pretty darn reliable. Only time will tell how durable the solenoid controlled oil operated intake valve system will be.

I would suggest begging a test drive in a Pop...same engine, transmission...less cost....not as fancy, a little softer ride, but then you already have the Princess.

I suspect you're going to find the keys gone along with the wife once you get one.:friendly_wink:

Thanks guys, for the courteous, informative and well-thought-out responses. I do really appreciate you taking the time to give me your input.

Regardless of wether the Abarth is 21,500 (my prediction) or 25,000, I truly think that the Sport will be a better fit, for the reasons mentioned above.

1) Cheaper
2) Plenty of power to be fun, yet, turbo-less, so as to keep me out of trouble
(That's what the SRT-4 is for) :)
3) The Sport has a great taught, yet comfortable suspension for daily use.
4) More econominal. Not only will the car be less expensive to purchase, less expensive to fill up and operate.

As far as the longevity of the MultiAir tech, I think so long as the owner/operators keep a very close eye on the oil change intervals, there really shouldn't be any issues at all. Fingers crossed.

I'm curious as to whether or not you will be able to purchase an extended warranty.

lirandy
08-30-2011, 03:49 PM

IMO, that just sounded like he was trying to make you giving up the idea of Abarth and buy a FIAT with him today.

Abarthlyness
08-30-2011, 04:47 PM
IMO, that just sounded like he was trying to make you giving up the idea of Abarth and buy a FIAT with him today.

I had thought of that too... and I am sure it had a lot to do with it, even though I told him right up front the I was NOT going to be buying that day. Salesman will be salesman lol...

But I really do think the Abarth will end up being between 21.5K-25K.

LudyM
08-30-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm also thinking high 20's if not 30's......

SeaDawg
08-30-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm curious as to whether or not you will be able to purchase an extended warranty.

You'll probably be offered one as part of the sales process. Even if you turn it down then, Chrysler will remind you with a postcard every now and again to consider purchasing one and pointing out that it is a CHRYSLER Extended Warranty and not a 3rd party. My personal opinion is with a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty bumper to bumper and a 3 year maintenance warranty I didn't need to spend the additional money.

Reaperman
08-30-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm also thinking high 20's if not 30's......
I can see mid 20's with a fair number of options (not to mention out-the-door costs), but not base. the ~$24k range has it running up against major competitors like the GTI and Cooper S, and I suspect they'll want to squeeze in a bit under them.

Even with leather and climate control the Abarth 500 isn't quite up to cooper s base price in UK. granted ours could be more powerful if rumors are to be believed. I guess I'm bored enough to do some math on cooper s...

UK mini S: 18015
us mini s: 23700
UK abarth 500 14707

when I pull out the old 'uneducated ratio' with these cars, I get $19348.
(again, just more speculation based on UK prices)

When I do it with the gti, price goes way too low. I wonder if UK GTIs are totally different cars than here...

cmj912
08-31-2011, 08:28 AM
Probably. In Europe, you can often spec the car and the engine and the model all a la carte. So you could technically end up with a car that is very GTI-like without the luxury equipment. Here, small cars seem to come as the whole dog & pony show or nothing. It is very difficult to find some of the more pedestrian small cars with extensive factory luxury and performance specification other than specific brands like Mini.

Customers have been for years demanding leather and sunroof and heated seat options for the Honda Fit as well as a turbocharger and some other stuff that people are doing very regularly aftermarket.

john deaver
09-03-2011, 10:07 AM
I would like to see a multi level approach and offer 2 Abarth models

A 130-140 hp model which is almost identical to the current sport with a lower pressure turbo (should spool up faster) and badges of course which should not be more than $2K over the current sport model.

And then the 170-180 hp version with all the leather and big breaks and wheels and a kitchen sink.

Abarthlyness
09-03-2011, 12:21 PM
I would like to see a multi level approach and offer 2 Abarth models

A 130-140 hp model which is almost identical to the current sport with a lower pressure turbo (should spool up faster) and badges of course which should not be more than $2K over the current sport model.

And then the 170-180 hp version with all the leather and big breaks and wheels and a kitchen sink.

That's a great idea. But I just keeping looking at what a new Cooper S costs new ($23,700 starting) and I just know it's gotta start lower than that.

I'm still clinging to hope that the Abarth will follow the pricing convention. Another $2000 jump from the Lounge... or $21,500... thereabouts.

smoove7410
09-04-2011, 06:08 PM
I am assuming 24,999 for the abarth. If they are smart, they will start it around 22k and have it top out at 25 specked.

geeded
09-04-2011, 09:11 PM
I am assuming 24,999 for the abarth. If they are smart, they will start it around 22k and have it top out at 25 specked.

Yep, that's right in line with what I think also. :encouragement:

Abarthlyness
09-06-2011, 01:06 PM
That's my belief as well. Having it start well below the Mini is the key.

blefevre
10-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Back on the topic of the dealers. Here is how mine is working with the Abarths.

Each dealer is getting a "few" in. Mine is 5-6. There is rumor that it will be a limited edition, but again that is a rumor right now. You can get on the "Abarth list" and will be notified with more information when it is out. OR, you can put down a refundable (by law) deposit of $500 to actually hold a place in line and if you say "no" it goes to the next person on the list, until they run out of prepay folks, when it goes to the people who didn't pay.

The catch was that it could sell out very quickly so you could end up waiting a year for your car if you don't get the initial few. Or even worse, it will be limited and you won't get a new one at all. The way that works is when the dealer knows the options, they order the 5-6 (or however many the get) with the specs THEY want. You can then pick from that list.

HOWEVER, if you put a deposit down soon enough (right now) then the dealer will let you order it with whatever options you want, however you want it. That way you get your car, right away.

If you are at all interested you should probably go put a refundable deposit down, unless you want to wait for your car or not pick your options.

I am first on the list at our studio, woohoo. I get to customize it however I want, and if I don't like any of the specs then I just say "no" and get my $500 back.

Also, I should have taken pictures but our studio has the US Abarth wheels (17") in their studio. They just got back from a Fiat event and were given two of them. They are different then the euro version. Still has the scorpion on the wheels though! 205/40/17 tires.

Felnus
10-18-2011, 04:18 PM
If Fiat is smart(no pun intended) the Abarth will not be a limited edition. They need to build as many as they can sell.

Reaperman
10-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Well I got on my local dealer list today. They didn't seem to want any kind of deposit--probably because there are still too many variables involved in the specs, when, and 'how much' areas. Also if I don't have a pretty good say in the options of what I'm buying, I'll probably wait a bit and order one. When 'full MSRP' is involved, I have very little motivation to purchase dealer stock.

I didn't get any info that I haven't heard elsewhere:
"They are schedule to be put into production in the first quarter of 2012. At this time we do not have any more information on a release date yet. "

I'm hopeful that things will firm up a bit after the LA auto show.

geeded
10-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Also, I should have taken pictures but our studio has the US Abarth wheels (17") in their studio. They just got back from a Fiat event and were given two of them. They are different then the euro version. Still has the scorpion on the wheels though! 205/40/17 tires.

Yes, for Gosh sakes! PLEASE. A picture of something that is actually on our cars and a chance to see what they look like. Post some pics soon. We will enjoy them ;)

Lollipop
10-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Neither did my dealer, but they have not officially opened their doors yet.

Have Trumpet Will Travel
10-24-2011, 12:30 AM
This Tuesday when I'm at the studio I plan to kick the Abarth idea around some. The idea of two versions of the same engine would allow some marketing strategy. If you base output for the standard Abarth at 1.5 hp per cubic inch that equals 125 horses, an SS-version at around 2.0 hp per cube would be 167 horses - a VERY high state of tune IMO for an automobile engine. The "1,400" cc motorcycles get their 160 hp from a short stroke and very high rev's. The FIAT is oversquare with its long stroke (hence the torque from 1,368 cc's) and not happy at above 7,000 rpm. Two horsepower per cubic inch is WRX STi - level output: downright dangerous territory.

geeded
10-24-2011, 11:03 PM
If you base output for the standard Abarth at 1.5 hp per cubic inch that equals 125 horses, an SS-version at around 2.0 hp per cube would be 167 horses - a VERY high state of tune IMO for an automobile engine. The "1,400" cc motorcycles get their 160 hp from a short stroke and very high rev's. The FIAT is oversquare with its long stroke (hence the torque from 1,368 cc's) and not happy at above 7,000 rpm. Two horsepower per cubic inch is WRX STi - level output: downright dangerous territory.

You have to consider that the base HP for the Euro A500 is 135 / SS at 160 I think, and that is using our engine but without the NA mulit-aire head. If FIAT is to be believed, the MA head is 10% more efficient & powerful than the current A500 (in the same level of tune) which would skew your assumptions.

The powers that be seem to think that a HP rating somewhere north of 165 is likely. Remember, FIAT has a 180 HP version of our MA engine already in use with Alfa Romeo. In any case, we'll know soon! :)