PDA

View Full Version : Fiat as a long commute driver?

Fiat_Ohio
08-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Starting this fall, I'm looking into driving 160 miles every day for my new job. Given this, having great MPGs is a must. In addition to that the car should be comfortable for such long rides.
Do any of you guys have long commutes to work? Can you share your experience as to how Fiat is regarding comfort?
I know I am very picky when it comes to seats, and unfortunately it takes about an hour before I can tell whether the seats are comfortable or not (aka when my back starts to hurt). I hated my '05 Corolla seats but I liked the sporty bucket seats on my '09 Tiburon...
In addition to the comfort, I know a lot of other brands make cars with similar or even better MPGs (new Hyundai Elantra gets 40 mpg on the highway, so does Ford Fiesta etc etc ) but Fiat is so much more fun to drive!

F500
08-03-2011, 01:04 PM
well.....160 miles IS alot of daily driving. I drive about 60 miles and I LOVE my 500. it's very comfortable (for ME). BUT if the main reason you're buying the car is for high MPG's, honestly...the FIAT shouldn't be your first choice. there are many other cars on the market that do MUCH better. they just won't get the looks and you won't have the fun you'll get with the FIAT.

sounds like (and you admit to it about the seats) that you're a picky person and while there's nothing wrong with that, IMO you would end up disappointed in this car in the long run.

regarding the MPG's: if you drive with the 'instant mpg' display ON as I do, you can save gas as you know when, why and where you're using more fuel. my automatic is AVERAGING 36.8 on my second tank of 93 octane Shell. that's 2.8mpg OVER the highway only rating for the auto. if you choose the 5sp manual, you can do much better. however my wifes Prius gets 50+ week in and week out, with a high of 56.2. hard to beat that with a stick except it costs about $5k MORE than my 500 Sport.

suggestion: find a FIAT to rent for a week (try Enterprise Car Rental). do your weekly driving and see what YOU think.

just some things to think about. good luck with your decision and if you DO decide to pick up a FIAT, then please come back and pay us a visit! :)

SpidArman
08-03-2011, 01:12 PM
I'm getting an average now of between 46-47 mpg daily on my roughly 90 mile daily commute. Now, I consider it a challenge to get the best economy, so I am basically hypermiling. I drive at 63 (actual 60mph), with NO AC, premium fuel and coast down long inclines.

I like the seats, only wishing they were about 2 inches lower to make shifting with the pedals more enjoyable. I am 6' 3" and weigh about 240lbs.

jessicatt
08-03-2011, 02:13 PM
I love my fait 500 sport. I drive about 50 miles everyday for work as well. I am getting about 42 miles per gallon and i drive an automatic. The sport has the most comfortable seats out of all the 500 models. They hug you more than the other too and have that racer look to them. Good luck on you decison making!

sjmst
08-03-2011, 02:58 PM
I drive my 500 100 miles round trip per day. Comfortable on side roads and at 70 mph on the highway, rain or shine. A/C works great and I use it! Even so, avg about 38-39 MPG,

sjmst
08-03-2011, 03:01 PM
...however my wifes Prius gets 50+ week in and week out, with a high of 56.2. hard to beat that with a stick except it costs about $5k MORE than my 500 Sport.
50+ is great.
How does the Prius compare to the 500 in the "fun to drive" dept?

cmj912
08-03-2011, 03:27 PM
I dunno, I thought the Lounge seats were pretty comfortable when I sat in them as well and may have a slightly softer ride on poor roads - that is unless the questioner is only into manual transmissions because of the economy issue.

Then again, we'll probably get manual Lounges soon given the way the 5-speed has been selling.

kzod
08-03-2011, 04:05 PM
50+ is great.

Prius? Fun to drive? Hahahahahahahhahahahhaha! The only fun you have in a Prius is driving as slow as possible to watch your mpgs go up. They are strictly an appliance for those just looking to get from point A to point B (Oh, and also for those looking to boost their green credentials).

Fiat_Ohio
08-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks, everybody!
I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to buy a Fiat500 :-)
To me MPGs are important as well as the fun part of driving...

I test-drove a 500C this past weekend and I loved it...except for one little thing... when the roof is down, you can't see pretty much anything in your rear view mirror. What were the engineers thinking???
I was really leaning towards getting a 500C but now I'm not sure.
Also, it looks like the 500c doesn't come in a sport version...

MikeThinks
08-03-2011, 06:08 PM
First things first. 35 mpg vs 40 mpg is only $10 a week if you average 865 miles per week (gas at about $3.60/gal). The car companies (and government) have pounded this Holy Grail of gas millage down our throats but without proper context. You will save more money moving from a really bad millage vehicle (lets say 14mpg truck) to a mediocre car (lets say 22mpg) than you will moving from the 22mpg car to a 50 mpg Prius. The math isn't instinctive but it is true...so don't get hung up on a few MPG.

Now, what you should look at first is what the drive entails...lots of stop and go, lots of low speeds, or lots of highway. I know the Fiat kicks butt at 45 mph cruising LOL. There are many pretty large cars that will be more cushy for a long ride that get pretty good millage on the highway, but suck in the city. If you have a mixed ride, Id look for a car with good numbers that are close to each other, as opposed to a car with really awesome highway but crappy city.

Whatever you do, don't get a SPORT...the Pop of Lounge are still lots of fun if you decide the Fiat is for you, and they offer much more long term ride comfort

----
Mike James
voicemail hotline (347)Bug-Mike

Fiat_Ohio
08-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Whatever you do, don't get a SPORT...

I want a cabrio version and they don't come in Sport but still ...may I ask why I shouldn
t get sport?

MikeThinks
08-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Because the Sport has a firmer suspension, that over long rides will not be as comfortable. The Lounge and Pop are still plenty of fun to drive and has a nicer ride for the long haul.

If your looking for a convertible, there isnt anything else near the price of the Fiat 500 that you should bother to consider IMHO (at least in the new category). With the amount your looking to drive though you will really want to take an extended ride/overnight before committing

Freedomland
08-04-2011, 12:20 AM
We just got a somewhat loaded. Pop and not to sound funny but "our other car is a MINI" We've taken the MINI on lolng rides.. up to New Hampshire and all over Long Island, to PA and such (we are on LI) and our 03 has 147K on it.. And it is a hard riding car and this is a plain mini cooper,,, not an "s". The fiat 500 pop has MUCH softer seats and is definatly a more comfortable ride.. how do the two compare?? well Frank Stephenson who designed the MINI for BMW/Rover also designed the Fiat 500 for fiat.. somewhat similar I'ld say

Fiat500USA
08-04-2011, 01:00 AM
I've driven around 200 bumpy NY miles in a 500c Pop and Lounge. I really enjoyed the ride and seats in both cars. I drive a Prima everyday and just got done doing a 2,000+ mile road trip in it. I loved it, but I'll admit the other 2 are really easy to relax and cruise in.

Fiat_Ohio
08-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Just a quick question guys:
when you say Prima, what are you referring to?

Chris
08-04-2011, 11:16 AM
I have the Sport and recently drove it about 1000 miles in two days. I was MORE comfortable in it than in my previous Passat after that long of a drive.
I'll also disagree with Mike above- I had a Lounge loaner for a day- the ride is, IMHO, a little softer... but the sport seats are more comfortable... very comfy after several hundred miles.
The "chair height" seats make an enormous difference.

And finally I will agree that there are better choices for MPG unless you are hyper-miling maybe, but none come to mind that will be as cute, attention-grabbing and fun to drive. ;)

Chris
08-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Just a quick question guys:
when you say Prima, what are you referring to?

"Prima" refers to the early-released first 500 cars sold in the US- they're a "special edition".

shil
08-04-2011, 01:06 PM
I drive 100 km (62 miles) three days a week. My Sport makes a swell little commuter.
It's a great car for an hour-long drive, less so after seven hours. A bigger car's better for a Road Trip.

luckymoi
08-04-2011, 01:35 PM
This post about your back, I understand completely (back surgery it what I've had); its a very individual king of thing.
All these posts won't help, you gotta log the hours.
I saw a post that some renta companys (like at SJC ariport)are stocking the 500 now; that seems like your best best and cheaper in the long run, ya think?
Mike

Fiat_Ohio
08-04-2011, 07:16 PM
This post about your back, I understand completely (back surgery it what I've had); its a very individual king of thing.
All these posts won't help, you gotta log the hours.
I saw a post that some renta companys (like at SJC ariport)are stocking the 500 now; that seems like your best best and cheaper in the long run, ya think?
Mike

Thanks, I should try it if I can find one.

Btw, how is the noise level in Fiat500? Can you hear the road at 70 mph?

luckymoi
08-04-2011, 07:50 PM
I have the cabrio and I can hear cars pass (trucks mostly) going past... it sounds like its coming from the back.
I am really surprised how quiet the 500 is. We hold conversations bet the front and back seat at 70; its not a bank vault but quite nice.
Again ya gonna drive one! It is replacing an I30 that's 11 years old... that car is almost a limo, the 500 sound level is quiet.
With the top open there is wind noise, the screen in the front can be placed down or up as one chooses. Because the "side rails" are there its very quiet for a
"convertible".
There are two base reasons I got the car:
(1) The brakes are good, effective; I have driven cars with trash brakes, I will not buy one. This puppy stops.
(2) The various design elements make me feel pleased, happy. Ths dash on the Fiesta, Focus and the Mini are disasters
(IMHO)... the 500 is loaded with superb design choices. Its a very carefully thought out car. The features are super. Look even the Nav is my kind: 400 including the dash mount no the normal 1-2K (again well thought out... can lock in the trunk, take with me etc and the features - the UI- are better than the one in the Jaguar)

The car is a surprise, has a quality feel and its surprisingly quiet (under 20k?)
I did not want another swoopy high priced car. Its a great fit for me.... drive it, look carefully at the features.
Had mine a week and dont regret it. But I always do a ton of research and 3-4 test drives.

Lounge is what I have, and with Calif traffic, auto not 5 speed make sense to me.
Try one for the weekend...
good luck!

MikeThinks
08-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Yea, the 500c is amazingly quiet for a convertible. And its still very reasonable at highway speed with the top down (no problems using hands free calling etc). Thats one of the things that sold me on the 500, it doesn't have many of the issues that plague most convertible cars.

One of the other huge factors for me is the fact that I can operate the top at 50mph. Here in Florida we get very localized showers, especially in the afternoons in the summer. They don't last very long, but its not uncommon to leave work with nothing but sunshine, and hit a downpour 10 miles down the road. In most convertibles, even if the top is automatic, you have to stop (or near enough...15-20 mph...really mini?) to put the top up. So most drivers just leave their tops up a lot of the time because 3/4 of the days here, its raining somewhere around town in the afternoon. In my 500, if theres rain ahead, even on the highway I can just slow down a bit (usually happens around the entrance ramps anyway LOL) and button it up water tight in just a few moments. Its a freedom that many more traditional convertible designs doesn't allow for....and I love it:D

Fiat_Ohio
08-04-2011, 11:59 PM
I have the cabrio ...

The car is a surprise, has a quality feel and its surprisingly quiet (under 20k?)

Under 20K? For cabrio? You're lucky - cabrio with an auto costs 25K here...

fltrplntman
04-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Under 20K? For cabrio? You're lucky - cabrio with an auto costs 25K here...
Come to Youngstown to buy one.. They are working with pricing. And i think the 0% financing is back also.

cmj912
04-20-2012, 10:21 AM
I like my car so much in general that each time I think about someone with a different model than mine I want one of each.
I only have two parking spaces, though.

Roxy500
06-16-2012, 02:46 PM
I drive 130 miles a day with a Sport . In my opinion the 500 is not the best commuter car out there but it is fun to drive , easy to park and has a bit of soul to it . I average 33-35 mpg with a timing controller , exhaust and intake . Prior to the mods it was about 30 . I will also add in my commute a have a huge frickin hill to climb which kills the mpg .. Going on normal highways it's like 37-39mpg and was 34 prior to the mods .
My biggest problem with the Fiat is that is it SEVERELY underpowered for American highways . This is the only car I have ever bought that actually NEEDED performance upgrades . They say 100hp but it's more like 80ish.
But after the upgrades my car is great and price wise still under a Mini and just as classy. It is roomy for 2 but the back seats in my opinion are useless and are there for more or less cushioning cargo. I put my girlfriend's 13 yr old niece back there last night and she was cramped . 2 adults ? Riiiiight. I don't mind this since I am the LAST car my friend want to taxi with on a night on the town so no worries of ride bumming . :eagerness:
It might seem like I'm bashing the Fiats but in fact I love mine . In fact it's more Mini Cooper than the Mini . It has the great modern creature comforts like bluetooth , good audio , and stylish. It is reliable . It can handle . Cheap to maintain ( if you don't use your Fiat Dealer . They wanted $75 for an oil change . It's a Fiat , not a Ferrari ) .
All I would say for feedback for Fiat is to bump up the horsepower . At least 15 or 20 . And better the mpg . Why do I need a timing controller for better performance and mpg if they have the technology to do it at the factory ?

Evelyn Salt
06-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Roxy500
Get a K&N air filter, put 35 pounds air front AND rear tires, and your car will take off like a small rocket.
THE 30 pounds in back was holding mine back like a dead weight.
(Look in the 500 performance forum for K &N.)
You won't need sport mode any more, and it will go up hills in 5th with ease, no more down shifting.
I'm not kidding or exaggerating , it's that simple.
I dont know how many miles you have on yours, but Mine took about 3000 miles to break in .
It won't be Underpowered on the Highways any more.

Sterling_Aug
07-02-2012, 12:49 PM
50+ is great.

I just traded my 2002 Toyota Prius with 230K+ miles on it for my new Fiat 500 Sport.

There is no comparison between the two in the "fun to drive" catagory. The Fiat wins hands down.

vincenzo
08-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Because the Sport has a firmer suspension, that over long rides will not be as comfortable. The Lounge and Pop are still plenty of fun to drive and has a nicer ride for the long haul.

If your looking for a convertible, there isnt anything else near the price of the Fiat 500 that you should bother to consider IMHO (at least in the new category). With the amount your looking to drive though you will really want to take an extended ride/overnight before committing

I couldn't agree more, though I'm sure many won't. I preferred the flatter pop and lounge seats to the sport seats. The amount of side-bolstering on the sport seats is pretty minimal, IMHO, and "firms" up an already firm seat. After an 800 mile road trip, my pop seats were great. Pop seats are more like a European-make like VW and less like a cushy American seat, say a Chrysler/Dodge. For longer trips, the firm seats provide much better support. The pop seat-backs have great adjustability and lumbar support for longer trips. My old car, a Dodge Neon, had terrible cushy seats that tended to sag over long commutes... permanently over time. For the price, the pop provides the best bang for the buck... I think the rest is up to your aesthetic tastes. And poking that Sport button firms up your ride, handling, and throttle response if you want that sporty feel - standard equipment on all Fiat 500 models.

Sterling_Aug
08-31-2012, 04:08 PM
I just traded my 2002 Toyota Prius with 230K+ miles on it for my new Fiat 500 Sport.

There is no comparison between the two in the "fun to drive" catagory. The Fiat wins hands down.

Just wanted to add that I am now averaging 42.9MPG with the 500 Sport and an average of 71 EcoDrive score after 5,000 miles.

Berliner
08-31-2012, 04:43 PM
Prius just the Name sounds so wrong. LOL I took my Fiat 2 Vegas last Week and i love it..... pretty compfy great MPG Phx Las Vegas about 240 Miles non Stop and yes i got a 5 Speed.

40love
09-02-2012, 11:29 PM
1200 mile road trip in a new Sport 5 speed over two days driving about nine hours each day. Overall comfort was pretty good. Wife was pleasantly surprised. I wish it had a touch more room for your left leg. Got caught in Atlanta rush traffic for over an hour of stop and go. Overall average mpg was 41.9! This was off the showroom floor a mere 350 miles earlier.

Carl G
10-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Hi All I am new here and I recently purchased a 2012 sport with only 6900 miles on it. I have had the car for a month and a half and have put 3600 miles on it. I love the car I make a daily 130 mile round trip commute and I am averaging 38.9 mpg. If I do strictly highway I can get as much as 42mpg if I drive it at 70mph. Beats the heck out of the 19mpg my truck gets. I have had zero issues with the car. Frankly after reading some issues others have had, I wonder just how much others are beating their cars. The car was originally designed as a city car for the EU. Considering this I didn't expect a lot. But I find it is more fun to drive than anything else I have test driven. I had a 1974 Spider I wish I still had. It was great fun to drive but it was just a car with no frills. But drop the top and put it in the wind and boy it was a fun car. But back to the 500 Sport, so far the car is actually more than I expected. Power everything, tilt, cruise, Fantastic Bose audio, Automatic Climate control, heated mirrors, great looking wheels and it handles like you are driving a slot car (showing my age here). Mine just sticks like glue to the road! All of that in a good looking package and near 40mpg on my commute, heck I couldn't be happier. Sure there are bigger cars that get the same and in some cases better mileage, but they are nowhere near as fun or as stylish as my 500. That 1.4l Multi-Air engine is a marvel. It is amazing how slow you can go without lugging the engine. Nothing like the old days. I am glad to see Fiat back in the US and I hope they stay this time. I really would like an Abarth Cabrio but I will not be trading any time soon....my grand daughter likes the car more than anything and said "pop you have to keep this car forever!"