PDA

View Full Version : K&N Air Filter

Alfieg23
07-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Does anyone know if the K&N air filter for the 2011 500 will fit in the 2012 USA version? The part # is 33-2842. Thanks.

sjmst
07-17-2011, 07:54 PM
I don't know, but I am curious what people think of K&N. I've heard both that they provide a modest hp jump to no improvement..:confused:

F500
07-18-2011, 05:22 AM
Does anyone know if the K&N air filter for the 2011 500 will fit in the 2012 USA version? The part # is 33-2842. Thanks.

without trying to sound like a SA, have you tried to contact K&N? I've contacted them about a CAI for the 500 and got a response fairly quickly. unfortunately they didn't have a CAI in the works at that time but did promise to contact me should one become available.

I used a K&N 'filter' on my last two cars: an 08 Charger and a 09 smart. not sure if there was any noticable HP increase, but I believe the K&N to be a more superior filter than the OE, so I was using it more for better protection than HP gain.

the OE part number for our 500's is: 68073647AC you might ask them to see if that crosses to their K&N Filter number.

Alfieg23
07-18-2011, 07:41 PM
No offense taken F500, but as I suspected, when I called K&N, they couldn't tell me if the 2011 air filter fits a 2012. They said they have not had a 2012 vehicle to work on so they're not sure of the fitment. They did say that I could buy the part for the 2011 and return it for a full refund if it doesn't fit the 2012. Of course, I would rather avoid going through the return process which is why I was hoping someone has already tried and could provide an answer.

500MADNESS.com
07-19-2011, 11:01 AM
The filter in question is designed for the EU Model and will not fit our cars.

We have ordered them a couple of months ago for trial fitting and as suspected they were the wrong size.

Felnus
12-03-2011, 09:42 PM
In my research for cold air intakes and filters, I stumbled across this. K&N filters website now lists an air filter for the 2012 Fiat 500, part #33-2471 and cross references it with part# 68073648AA for the OEM air filter. K&N lists it in their online store for $42.19.

More options and lower prices. Competition is a beautiful thing...

Felnus
12-13-2011, 05:42 PM
So I decided to take a small step in modding the 500 and purchased the K&N filter and I can confirm that part #33-2471 definitely fits! My initial impressions after installation yesterday are that it wakes the car up a bit. It feels like a step above normal but not "Sport" mode pre K&N and in "Sport" mode, I accelerated hard from a stop and hit the rev limiter in first accidently so it makes a difference in throttle response and the car feels like it isn't working as hard pulling some of the hills around here. I'm taking a short trip tomorrow so I'll get an idea of its impact on fuel economy as well. I suspect it will be noticeable.

Otherwise, intake noise is up slightly but it is a pleasant sound and not inttrusive at all. Overall, I recommend it for those who don't want to step up to the expense of a cold air intake. Money well spent and if the mileage picks up it will pay for itself.

SeaDawg
12-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Otherwise, intake noise is up slightly but it is a pleasant sound and not inttrusive at all. Overall, I recommend it for those who don't want to step up to the expense of a cold air intake. Money well spent and if the mileage picks up it will pay for itself.

Now at the price of $29.99 plus shipping from: http://www.modernperformance.com/

Felnus
12-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Figures lol The shipping was free from K&N though, I wonder how much they are charging?

SeaDawg
12-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Figures lol The shipping was free from K&N though, I wonder how much they are charging?

To Florida $6.61.

Felnus
12-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Pretty good deal then.

rtwolfe
12-14-2011, 12:09 AM
So I decided to take a small step in modding the 500 and purchased the K&N filter and I can confirm that part #33-2471 definitely fits! My initial impressions after installation yesterday are that it wakes the car up a bit. It feels like a step above normal but not "Sport" mode pre K&N and in "Sport" mode, I accelerated hard from a stop and hit the rev limiter in first accidently so it makes a difference in throttle response and the car feels like it isn't working as hard pulling some of the hills around here. I'm taking a short trip tomorrow so I'll get an idea of its impact on fuel economy as well. I suspect it will be noticeable.

Hi Felnus:
I installed the 500 Madness - COMPETIZIONE HIGH FLOW DROP-IN AIR FILTER (http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=339). Saw a similar pick up in my manual 500C's performance with that filter. Then read that switching to Mobil 1 added more punch too. So now my 500 is running on Mobil 1 and BP 93 octane gas. Been running this way for a couple months and I think Sabrina runs great. Especially, if I run her between 4000 to 6000 RPMs.

Have you tried Mobil1 and/or premium gas? Would be interested in comparing notes.

Ciao

Felnus
12-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Have you tried Mobil1 and/or premium gas? Would be interested in comparing notes.

I have been running 93 octane since I brought it home. The studio filled it up with a full tank of 87 but once that ran through its been 93 ever since. There is a Shell station locally that sells 93 for the 89 price on Fridays so the additional expense is minimal on most fillups. My mpg average is 37.9 which I'm very happy with considering the nature of most of my driving plus the terrain and elevation here. I have no doubt that I could run close to 40 or better in flatter territory.

The oil has not been changed yet. The next possible mod I would look at would be this http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_77&products_id=1106 or some other type of ECU tuning as I believe there is more power to be had over the stock tune. The 500 seems to run a bit on the rich side judging from the soot buildup I get on my exhaust tip, leaning it out a bit(safely) and advancing the timing to better take advantage of the 93 fuel would definitely free up some ponies.

Piccirillo
01-31-2012, 03:58 AM
I have been running 93 octane since I brought it home. The studio filled it up with a full tank of 87 but once that ran through its been 93 ever since. There is a Shell station locally that sells 93 for the 89 price on Fridays so the additional expense is minimal on most fillups. My mpg average is 37.9 which I'm very happy with considering the nature of most of my driving plus the terrain and elevation here. I have no doubt that I could run close to 40 or better in flatter territory.

The oil has not been changed yet. The next possible mod I would look at would be this http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_77&products_id=1106 or some other type of ECU tuning as I believe there is more power to be had over the stock tune. The 500 seems to run a bit on the rich side judging from the soot buildup I get on my exhaust tip, leaning it out a bit(safely) and advancing the timing to better take advantage of the 93 fuel would definitely free up some ponies.

I need to do something about a power mod. I feel the car a little poor at the high end revs. It might be a good thing to drop in a filter with a high flow there to see what happens!

FiaTED
02-01-2012, 01:51 PM
RT Wolfe:

Why COMPETIZIONE HIGH FLOW DROP-IN AIR FILTER. instead of K&N?

I see it is twice the price of the K&N at 500 Madness

500MADNESS.com
02-01-2012, 02:58 PM
RT Wolfe:

Why COMPETIZIONE HIGH FLOW DROP-IN AIR FILTER. instead of K&N?

I see it is twice the price of the K&N at 500 Madness

The Competizione is a much better filter.

500MADNESS.com
02-01-2012, 03:00 PM
In my research for cold air intakes and filters, I stumbled across this. K&N filters website now lists an air filter for the 2012 Fiat 500, part #33-2471 and cross references it with part# 68073648AA for the OEM air filter. K&N lists it in their online store for $42.19.

More options and lower prices. Competition is a beautiful thing...

We offer it to $39.99 and have it in stock.

500MADNESS.com
02-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Now at the price of $29.99 plus shipping from: http://www.modernperformance.com/

We have no idea how they are able to do this. That is below cost and we get pretty aggressive pricing on K&N filters.

If they have the right one (North American Version, not the older EU one) then I would jump on this before they figure out that they are selling it below cost.

SeaDawg
02-01-2012, 03:10 PM
We have no idea how they are able to do this. That is below cost and we get pretty aggressive pricing on K&N filters.

If they have the right one (North American Version, not the older EU one) then I would jump on this before they figure out that they are selling it below cost.

WOW! That post was from mid December. I did!

I can assure you they had the RIGHT one. A K&N now resides in my engine compartment. It was $36.60 delivered to my door in Orlando, Florida.

500ways
02-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Does anyone know if the drop-in K&N filter affects the warranty?

500MADNESS.com
02-01-2012, 03:37 PM
WOW! That post was from mid December. I did!

I can assure you they had the RIGHT one. A K&N now resides in my engine compartment. It was $36.60 delivered to my door in Orlando, Florida.

I have not seen this thread for a while and wanted to make sure I address each issue.

Again if it is the right one, it is a killer deal. If you see my post I was actually telling people that it IS a great deal and if you re read my comment you will see that I was actually telling people to "Jump on this" deal.

SeaDawg
02-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Does anyone know if the drop-in K&N filter affects the warranty?

It does NOT, even states so in the documentation included with the filter.

SeaDawg
02-01-2012, 04:08 PM
I have not seen this thread for a while and wanted to make sure I address each issue.

Again if it is the right one, it is a killer deal. If you see my post I was actually telling people that it IS a great deal and if you re read my comment you will see that I was actually telling people to "Jump on this" deal.

I was NOT trying to dispute what you were saying Boris.:D I was just validating what you said...that it was indeed for the N.A. 500. And that I HAD taken advantage of the vendor's advertised price.

FiaTED
02-01-2012, 07:07 PM
The Competizione is a much better filter.

how exactly?

How long do these filters last?

FiaTED
02-07-2012, 12:47 PM
How do I access the air filter unit?

I dont wnat to start removing engine cover etc unless I know what I am doing

FiaTED
02-07-2012, 01:03 PM

Do you think airflow would be better if I don not replace the engine cover?

500MADNESS.com
02-07-2012, 01:34 PM
I was NOT trying to dispute what you were saying Boris.:D I was just validating what you said...that it was indeed for the N.A. 500. And that I HAD taken advantage of the vendor's advertised price.

No worries... I have double checked our pricing with 3 suppliers and each gave us higher cost then what the other vendor is selling them for, so however they are doing it I would say buy it from them until they realize the fact that they are loosing money on everyone they sell and change their price.

500MADNESS.com
02-07-2012, 01:35 PM
how exactly?

Better filter media, more layers and overall it is just a better filter. If you have both in your hand it becomes obvious, but in the pics it is much more difficult to tell.

SeaDawg
02-07-2012, 03:08 PM

Trust me, if I was able to take the airbox off and open it to change to the K&N Filter (and I was), anyone should be able to.:onthego:

SeaDawg
02-07-2012, 03:12 PM
No worries... I have double checked our pricing with 3 suppliers and each gave us higher cost then what the other vendor is selling them for, so however they are doing it I would say buy it from them until they realize the fact that they are loosing money on everyone they sell and change their price.

Just FYI, I just checked the www.modernperformance.com (http://www.modernperformance.com) website and they are STILL selling the K&N replacement filter for $29.99 + shipping. Just sayin'...

Felnus
02-07-2012, 05:34 PM

The engine cover comes off its mounts if you pull straight up on it. The rest is fairly easy as shown in the first part of this video. Once you have the intake and filter housing off, just unscrew the three screws on the filter housing, replace the filter and put everything back together. I would keep the cover on but that is just me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh8IN5ESJQ4&feature=related

Note: Try this at your own risk, I'm not a mechanic :-)

FiaTED
02-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Better filter media, more layers and overall it is just a better filter. If you have both in your hand it becomes obvious, but in the pics it is much more difficult to tell.

OK. I am returning the K&N I bought from K&N online and will order the Competizione from you next week.

This is why I enjoy these forums.

Thanks!

unknown_eyes
02-11-2012, 06:39 PM
I installed one of these Competizione high flow drop-in air filters today. I don't know if its all in my head or not, but the car does seem to perform better (auto lounge). After installing the filter I took the car for a short drive and was really impressed. The car didn't seem to struggle under heavy throttle as much as before. Definately lets the car breath easier. Not sure if there is any real HP gain. There is also a slightly more pleasant tone from under the hood. Haven't had it long enough to see if MPG is changed. I would definately recommend this product. To answer a few questions below:

These filters are said to last the life of the car with periodic cleaning and oiling.

Very simple. The top engine cover removes easily, just lift it upward and give it a lite tug and if comes right off. Loosen the 3 phillips screws on the top of the filter housing and pull it apart. Remove the old filter and install the new. The filter housing can be pulled upward without removing the air intake elbow to make it easier to get to. Total install time was maybe 10 minutes. VERY easy! I used a ratcheting screw driver with a flexible extention because the screw on the left was awkward to get to with a regular screwdriver.

I dont think the engine cover would make any difference with the drop in filter. Maybe with a CAI. It looks to be purely cosmetic.

SeaDawg
02-11-2012, 08:14 PM
I dont think the engine cover would make any difference with the drop in filter. Maybe with a CAI. It looks to be purely cosmetic.

The engine cover suppresses a LOT of mechanical clatter (mainly from the valves). I listened to the engine running with it off at the dealer a while back.

unknown_eyes
02-12-2012, 11:10 AM
The engine cover suppresses a LOT of mechanical clatter (mainly from the valves). I listened to the engine running with it off at the dealer a while back.

It must really be loud with the cover off! I get a good bit of mechanical clatter with the cover on and the hood down! I love the car but it has taken some getting used to. :love_heart:

Fiat500USA
02-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Chrysler and Fiat revised the engine cover for North America. The acoustic-dampening design minimizes engine noise intrusion into the cabin.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_7IhKWjDc9wg/TPO6I_ldzwI/AAAAAAAAEpo/hmSe-K3RLQg/s400/3281452461_89195ed4df_o.jpg*

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_7IhKWjDc9wg/TOYDlAm5AgI/AAAAAAAAEVA/8TK6ugxaTP0/s400/DSCN4038.jpg

You can read more about the differences between the Euro 500 and the NA 500 here. (http://www.fiat500usa.com/search/label/Evolution)

*The Car Spy Photostream (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/deed.en)

4carbcorvair
01-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Installed a K&N drop in yesterday morning. Went for a ride and noticed no difference. Accelerating. Hills in 5th gear. All seemed the same as before. :/ I did not attempt to redline, as wifey was with me. And it is her car. :D We'll see if the mpg's improve any.

sjmst
01-31-2013, 01:09 PM
Installed a K&N drop in yesterday morning. Went for a ride and noticed no difference. Accelerating. Hills in 5th gear. All seemed the same as before. :/ I did not attempt to redline, as wifey was with me. And it is her car. :D We'll see if the mpg's improve any.

My exprience as well with other cars.

mocha
01-31-2013, 02:02 PM
Do this and you will see/feel a difference .......4874 4875 4876 The ZONKER short shot intake type mod :onthego:

SeaDawg
01-31-2013, 02:14 PM

My experience as well. After using it for a year, I removed it and replaced it with the original pleated paper element that was installed at time of manufacture of the vehicle. I'll have the LS change that in May when I go in for my 2 year oil change. Considering I saw no change in performance or mileage and the PITA of cleaning and re-oiling the element it was a no brainer to put the original filter back in place. I still have the K&N back in its original box stored in the garage, but it'll probably never reside in the FIAT's engine compartment again.

4carbcorvair
01-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Do this and you will see/feel a difference .......4874 4875 4876 The ZONKER short shot intake type mod :onthego:

Do you have a part number for that filter?

mocha
01-31-2013, 10:47 PM
Do you have a part number for that filter?

order the oval universal filter with the 52mm inlet :usa1: