PDA

View Full Version : Custom Wheels and TPMS

SeaDawg
06-30-2011, 12:11 PM
This was originally directed at Chris our omnipotent:cool: moderator. When one purchases NEW custom wheels AND/OR new TPMS sensors how does one ensure the EVIC is aware of the new sensors and their proper location? What IS the proper procedure if the tire store doesn't do the changover?

Also on original factory equipment, does anyone know what the procedure is to ensure new wheel positions are recognized when rotating original equipment tires?

In my previous vehicle, the Chevy HHR owners manual went into detail how to ensure the EVIC knew what tire was where when changing tire locations. Which was a good thing as the local dealership didn't do that when they did the first rotation and I discovered it while adding air to the driver side front and the driver side rear pressure was increasing (Chevy TPMS gives you individual tire pressure values).

Chris
06-30-2011, 12:35 PM
I just had a tire repaired, max and not by the dealer. They're a sharp bunch but couldn't reset the sensor- said Chrysler has not yet provided them with a software upgrade to do a reset. Dunno if that helps you.

Fiat500USA
06-30-2011, 01:10 PM
This was originally directed at Chris our omnipotent:cool: moderator. When one purchases NEW custom wheels AND/OR new TPMS sensors how does one ensure the EVIC is aware of the new sensors and their proper location? What IS the proper procedure if the tire store doesn't do the changover?

Also on original factory equipment, does anyone know what the procedure is to ensure new wheel positions are recognized when rotating original equipment tires?

In my previous vehicle, the Chevy HHR owners manual went into detail how to ensure the EVIC knew what tire was where when changing tire locations. Which was a good thing as the local dealership didn't do that when they did the first rotation and I discovered it while adding air to the driver side front and the driver side rear pressure was increasing (Chevy TPMS gives you individual tire pressure values).

Omnipotent - I like that :o

Well, I lucked out. When I bought my wheels, I bought new TPM sensors and they just worked. They were 433MHz Tire Pressure Sensors and I know the Fiat warning light doesn't specify what side is low*. That's about all I know (I'm still waiting for a manual) :(

*Note: There was a software update and the newer cars will display what tire is low.

SeaDawg
06-30-2011, 03:02 PM
I just had a tire repaired, max and not by the dealer. They're a sharp bunch but couldn't reset the sensor- said Chrysler has not yet provided them with a software upgrade to do a reset. Dunno if that helps you.

I was actually trying to get ahead of the situation. I like the original alloys enough and the Pirelli's grip like glue that I'm not in any hurry to change them, but it had been mentioned in another thread and I didn't see anything about it when perusing the Owner's Manual. Snow tires aren't a big concern here in Florida.:D

SeaDawg
06-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Omnipotent - I like that :o

Well, I lucked out. When I bought my wheels, I bought new TPM sensors and they just worked. They were 433MHz Tire Pressure Sensors and I know the Fiat warning light doesn't specify what side is low. That's about all I know (I'm still waiting for a manual) :(
I may be smacking the hornet's nest like a pinata but I just took a 2nd look at Sketch's original post about his wheel failure and he stated that the display said 'check right rear tire pressure'. Not to sound like a DA doing cross examination, but does it or does it not know and display which wheel is actually low?

Enquiring minds and at least one old poop want to know.:eek: (I suppose I could let some air out of one of my tires...I have a small 110 volt air compressor)

Chris
07-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Hmmm... might right rear was low and, unless there are four indicators around the dial, it was just an icon for tire pressure. No text saying which one that I am aware of.

Fiat500USA
07-01-2011, 09:22 AM
I may be smacking the hornet's nest like a pinata but I just took a 2nd look at Sketch's original post about his wheel failure and he stated that the display said 'check right rear tire pressure'. Not to sound like a DA doing cross examination, but does it or does it not know and display which wheel is actually low?

Enquiring minds and at least one old poop want to know.:eek: (I suppose I could let some air out of one of my tires...I have a small 110 volt air compressor)

I received this from someone at Fiat: "The Low pressure light only advises of a problem. It doesn't point to a specific tire."*

It's also on page 126 of the manual I posted: 2012 Fiat 500 Owners Manual (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/content.php?174-2012-Fiat-500-Owners-Manual)

*Note: There was an update and the cars do point to the specific tire.

SeaDawg
07-01-2011, 10:12 AM
I received this from someone at Fiat: "The Low pressure light only advises of a problem. It doesn't point to a specific tire."

It's also on page 126 of the manual I posted: 2012 Fiat 500 Owners Manual (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/content.php?174-2012-Fiat-500-Owners-Manual)

Thanks!!! That clears up a lot of mystery about something else.:eek:

This might be something you can pass along. The Chevy HHR has the equivalent of a EVIC and it displays both the pressure and location of each of the two front tires and then with another click of the steering wheel button it displays the pressure and location of each of the two rear tires. Plus it has the low pressure warning icon.