PDA

View Full Version : Real tuning software?

aja342
06-21-2019, 08:42 PM
Is there any tuning software/device availble for the Abarth that allows the end user to change parameters? Even the old diablosport predator had rudimentary fuel and spark adjustments.

Romanoaf
06-21-2019, 09:35 PM
Is there any tuning software/device availble for the Abarth that allows the end user to change parameters? Even the old diablosport predator had rudimentary fuel and spark adjustments.

Closest you'll get off the shelf is the open flash tablet (OFT)

SoFloAbarth
06-21-2019, 09:36 PM
If i’m not mistaken OFT (Open Flash Tuning/Tablet) has maps that you can customize. Also heard/read of people not being able to get in contact with the owner for long periods of time.

Frankinstyn
06-22-2019, 09:57 AM
If i’m not mistaken OFT (Open Flash Tuning/Tablet) has maps that you can customize. Also heard/read of people not being able to get in contact with the owner for long periods of time.

I bought and installed OFT stage 2 a few weeks ago. I had to get a personalized tune from Shiv and had no problem getting hold of him.

Pilothall
06-22-2019, 11:24 AM
This is why I want the OFT tune. I would like to try to customize my tune and potentially add my own pops and burbles to the tune and maybe even two step launch control. I think that can be accomplished by adjusting fuel cutoff and spark timing. I could also even run a higher boost/timing tune and adjust with a partial tank of ethanol as long as the injectors could take it. Of course then I would be running the risk of blowing up my engine because of some mistake I made because I thought I knew what I was doing by watching YouTube videos. What a time that we live in.

Saponetta
06-22-2019, 12:17 PM
Open flash. I've exchanged probably 50 emails and numerous calls to shiv. Dont think it's ever taken more than 48 hours for a reply. Usually same day. He seems to answer emails and tune requests in the evening. If I email I'l n the morning, can basically expect a reply by 10pm central. Also, thru the sales email, open flash has 1 or 2 employees that may not be experts with questions on mapping, but can answer anything about openflash or open flash manager.

Saponetta
06-22-2019, 12:21 PM
AMD figure how.many retarded emails a vendor gets for any product. Would you get tired of answering pointless emails that a quick read of a website or whatever could answer? The people who claim they dont get responses, take a hard look at what your asking him? Is.it really necessary or worthy of a response?

Will this work with the non turbo? Xan I run exhaust with this? How.much power will I make with stage 2 and an air filter and a shift knob?

As a business owner myself, I understand you meed to serve customers but I basically hook about 20 callers a day just for being morons. It gets old.

rocketsausage
06-22-2019, 02:49 PM
This is why I want the OFT tune. I would like to try to customize my tune and potentially add my own pops and burbles to the tune and maybe even two step launch control. I think that can be accomplished by adjusting fuel cutoff and spark timing. I could also even run a higher boost/timing tune and adjust with a partial tank of ethanol as long as the injectors could take it. Of course then I would be running the risk of blowing up my engine because of some mistake I made because I thought I knew what I was doing by watching YouTube videos. What a time that we live in.

OFT is your best bet for any kind of diy tuning, but just fyi I tried (with my very limited knowledge) to tweak my stg2 file from openflash to do pops and bangs with no luck. The detail in the xdf file I received is pretty limited, and the maps are not all that clearly defined so it's hard to know what tables are actually being referenced under different conditions (like there are like 5 ignition advance tables just numbered 1-5). That being said I think with more general tuning knowledge and some trial and error one could probably figure it out, but I there's more of a learning curve than some of the tuning software out thier for other platforms (i.e. hptuners/maestro/any standalone ecu)

Pilothall
06-22-2019, 02:59 PM
This is good to know. What software were you using to tweak? I've heard about TunerPro, is that what you used? I guess you would have to make changes and then log a lot to determine which tables were being used when.

Saponetta
06-22-2019, 03:49 PM
Regarding rocketsausage comment

Well, factory ecu are more complex than basically any standalone. Even with the amazing complexity you can dig into if you choose on life racing, Bosch moto, or whatever else, a factory ecu is going to to be way more complex. Its programming and strategy wasnt designed so end users could hack and tweak. And it was designed to allow additional programming mfg for wider range of real world use, and many ancillary features and protocols that a competitoion or hot rod car would never need. I think your.use of "undefined" might be confusing to some people. Undefined is different than not labeled for recognition by a casual enthusiast. Undefined would more.dseibe needing a winols or damos development to translate more areas of factory programming into recognizable tables, maps, etc. But yea there is a steeper learning curve with this than a haltech or wolf, or megasquirt or whatever. But on the plus side, you have more intact factory safety strategies that require no programming. So playing around and learning is a little less risky. I mean assuming you at least have some clue it's less risky. The major disadvantage to this over a standalone is that it's not real time. Woth a standalone, you can make changes on a steady state dyno in real.time and watch how it eefects a running engine. Although when your knock limited it's not as big of a deal, and less power gets left on the table. But on say e85 with a dyno, you can see in real time where timing stops adding torque for example. On pump gas,knock is gonna give you pretty clear limits on the WOT stuff.

Saponetta
06-22-2019, 03:51 PM
This is good to know. What software were you using to tweak? I've heard about TunerPro, is that what you used? I guess you would have to make changes and then log a lot to determine which tables were being used when.

I would buy tunerproRT. Tunerpro free is supposedly fully enabled but its buggy. I've had problems committing to chamges on freeware version.

Saponetta
06-22-2019, 03:58 PM
Rocket sausage

I dont remmber off top of head every tablename, but your looking to do any work in base and Optimal. If you want to make the ECU more heavy handed there is component. Also, just because you set a timing map, doesnt.mean you'll see it. If you beyond limits of fuel or having high airtemps, you are gonna see what ecu allows.

If you want to simplify things, look up alientech database. Their marelli 8g file is simpler with just more of the meat and potatoes available for edit

aja342
06-22-2019, 07:21 PM
Great intel! Thanks For all the info.

doverosx
06-23-2019, 06:29 AM
Problems with OFT that I’ve found so far....
There are very few tables that are indexed, the table definitions aren’t clear and some tables aren’t even indexed correctly. Now some of that is leakage from the damos file...in that, just because there’s is a table, that doesn’t mean it gets used. I’ll be trying my damndest to figure out what Shiv has indexed and what goes where and how it gets used by the ECU. Also note, that 8GMFs and 8GMKs behave differently. 8GMF damos files have thousands of tables, 8GMK damos files have 100 thousand tables.... something like that but it is much much more.

If you want 2step, you don’t get access to the tables to implement it with the xdf that Shiv sends you (so far). You get torque request, some boost control, some fuelling and timing maps. I’m going to start work on a friend’s open flash tune but just be aware, it will take a lot of time. Then, once I’ve got things mostly figured out from the 35 tables we have in the xdf, if I’m happy with the tune, I’ll do as much of a write up as I can.

rocketsausage
06-23-2019, 12:18 PM
Regarding rocketsausage comment

Well, factory ecu are more complex than basically any standalone. Even with the amazing complexity you can dig into if you choose on life racing, Bosch moto, or whatever else, a factory ecu is going to to be way more complex. Its programming and strategy wasnt designed so end users could hack and tweak. And it was designed to allow additional programming mfg for wider range of real world use, and many ancillary features and protocols that a competitoion or hot rod car would never need. I think your.use of "undefined" might be confusing to some people. Undefined is different than not labeled for recognition by a casual enthusiast. Undefined would more.dseibe needing a winols or damos development to translate more areas of factory programming into recognizable tables, maps, etc. But yea there is a steeper learning curve with this than a haltech or wolf, or megasquirt or whatever. But on the plus side, you have more intact factory safety strategies that require no programming. So playing around and learning is a little less risky. I mean assuming you at least have some clue it's less risky. The major disadvantage to this over a standalone is that it's not real time. Woth a standalone, you can make changes on a steady state dyno in real.time and watch how it eefects a running engine. Although when your knock limited it's not as big of a deal, and less power gets left on the table. But on say e85 with a dyno, you can see in real time where timing stops adding torque for example. On pump gas,knock is gonna give you pretty clear limits on the WOT stuff.

100%, it's incredibly capable software hardware that allows for alot of detail, un-defined was probably the wrong term. I just figured depending on background some folks might be expecting a more "point and shoot" diy tuning interface. This is my first foray into it coming from hptuners and haltech, so the learning curve surprised me a little bit, and I figured others might be in the same kind of position. Thanks for the alientech reference, might be a little more my speed.

Saponetta
06-23-2019, 01:01 PM
Yea I was mostly from old injector pulsewidth haltech LOL and wolf 3d and used megasquirt more recently. The whole torque request strategy requires some learning.because the ecu really fights back. But torque and VE are basically the same thing. Torque is the product of loads at certain ve. I will say this marelli ecu is amazingly accurate at estimating torque. Seems to match dyno and from there it's easy to calculate hp with known titque. It is a little safer to play with and learn with trial and error.

Pilothall
06-24-2019, 01:17 PM
Very interested in how this develops. I am hoping that the OFT tune is my next mod and was looking forward to getting my hands dirty and jumping into tuning a little. Sounds like it won't be so easy haha. If anyone does get more information on what tables are used for what and when, a write up would be much appreciated by more than just me I'd imagine. I wonder if Shiv would be willing to give out any more information. I'm guessing not since it's his bread and butter but it would be really cool to have open source data on this stuff. From what little I know about tuning from the interwebs, I would want to be able to adjust timing, fuel cutoff, lambda target, and the RPM and speed restrictions.

Saponetta
06-24-2019, 02:02 PM
Which tables do you not understand their purpose? If you dknt know what your looking at, it may be a little over your head. Best advice I can give, if you have any basic questions, then you need to brush up on engine operation. How fuel injection works. What your controlling, what changes do and how they effect engine operation. On our local efi Facebook group, 99% of the people who come on there saying they do this or that and tune their Honda or whatever but still have simple questions because they're new to subaru. They usually cant even read a datalog or determine what's important even. Let alone make changes to engine controls. What I'm getting at is if you have questions, brush up on how efi controls work. What is does. What the feedback means. How to How to eww ad and interpwt it.