PDA

View Full Version : LED or Xenon Headlamps

Chris
06-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Any leads on options for alternative headlamps, running lights etc?

cogtooth
06-24-2011, 06:10 PM
I had no luck with LED daytime running lights. The ones I bought fool the 500 into thinking a bulb is out since they don't use enough power and thus don't light up. The LED parking lights which are in the same bulb, but at lower power, do work. The running light LED does work when directly connected to the Fiat battery. I'm undecided whether I want to throw more money into the bulbs by trying to use load resistors to add to the power drain. I'd wait for a company such as 500 Madness to verify a working solution, or someone to post a working bulb. The good news is that the bulbs are easy to replace.

Chris
06-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Probably so. Maybe just an HID bulb?

SeaDawg
06-24-2011, 09:22 PM
I had no luck with LED daytime running lights. The ones I bought fool the 500 into thinking a bulb is out since they don't use enough power and thus don't light up. The LED parking lights which are in the same bulb, but at lower power, do work. The running light LED does work when directly connected to the Fiat battery. I'm undecided whether I want to throw more money into the bulbs by trying to use load resistors to add to the power drain. I'd wait for a company such as 500 Madness to verify a working solution, or someone to post a working bulb. The good news is that the bulbs are easy to replace.

Even motorcycles have problems with the low power draw of LED bulbs and usually require the use of the inline electronic load resistors so as not to confuse the 'bulb out' circuitry. On motorcycles we don't use LED's to reduce the electrical draw but to INCREASE the light OUTPUT to increase visibility, both that of the roadway and ourselves.

SeaDawg
06-24-2011, 09:32 PM

Do you know of any comparisons between Xenon/HID, which appear to be the same, and the Halogen projector headlamps we get here in the US with regard to amount of illumination actually provided to the roadway?

Chris
06-24-2011, 10:04 PM
I don't except I just found this....

http://www.bfxenon.com/Fiat_500_US_HID_High_Beam_Headlight_kit_p/bfx-f500-h.htm

http://www.hidsrus.com/fiat-500-xenon-kits-lights-conversions-headlights-bulbs/

SeaDawg
06-24-2011, 10:25 PM

Thanks!

cogtooth
06-26-2011, 09:05 PM
I have one current car with HID headlights (which also are cornering), and sold another, and I do like them. The 500 seams to have very good headlights and I don't miss the HIDs. It is my understanding that aftermarket HIDs are illegal since they do not auto level. The drivers with the illegal ones make it bad for all the drivers that have the proper adjusting ones. The aftermarket illegal ones tend to bother approaching drivers more with glare, and one can expect more road rage and flashing bright lights back at you.

SeaDawg
06-27-2011, 12:21 AM
I have one current car with HID headlights (which also are cornering), and sold another, and I do like them. The 500 seams to have very good headlights and I don't miss the HIDs. It is my understanding that aftermarket HIDs are illegal since they do not auto level. The drivers with the illegal ones make it bad for all the drivers that have the proper adjusting ones. The aftermarket illegal ones tend to bother approaching drivers more with glare, and one can expect more road rage and flashing bright lights back at you.

You answered the basic question, which is, are they noticeably brighter than the installed halogens. It appears the answer is NO. As to the flashing lights, I already get that even on low beam with the projector halogens.:D But hey, it's Florida and the older you get the worse glare bothers you. And for those who are just itching to pounce, I resemble that last remark.

Fiat500USA
06-27-2011, 03:02 PM

I'm looking into Xenon lights and may have something up on the blog in the near future. The good thing about the 500 lights are they are projector beam and have a really good light pattern. This is critical to running aftermarket Xenon lights as it helps keep the light from getting dispersed all over the road and blinding folks.

Chris
06-27-2011, 03:04 PM
^^Looking forwards to it.

I need more night driving to settle how I feel. Right now, it feels like they don't cast enough light- but that may be an adjustment I need to make coming from a larger car.

ciddyguy
08-07-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm looking into Xenon lights and may have something up on the blog in the near future. The good thing about the 500 lights are they are projector beam and have a really good light pattern. This is critical to running aftermarket Xenon lights as it helps keep the light from getting dispersed all over the road and blinding folks.

In my research on headlights recently, I discovered one of the problems with conversion to Xenon bulbs is the optics but as another poster said, and I'd forgotten is that with Xenon, self leveling units are also required due to their extremely sharp cutoff that causes the appearance of the bulbs flickering as the car bobs along, especially on rough roads, which then causes flashes of glare, especially to older drivers.

The reason for the optics is that due to the different nature of the HID/Xenon (same thing apparently) is that the arc runs axially along the length of the bub's tube, rather than transversely (side to side) although not all halogen bulbs are transverse filament and thus the optics has to be made for a specific type of bulb in order to produce a proper beam pattern that fits within the EPA/NHTSA specs (or the ECE if in Europe) and thusly, when you replace the halogen for a brighter arc based bulb, it's also highly recommended, if not required that you replace the housings themselves with the appropriate units for the newer bulbs.

I think projector headlamps aren't as prone to this issue due to how its designed but may be mistaken.

I know in Europe, the standard headlamp is your basic reflector optic units with the optional being the Bi-Xenon/HID projector units. We get the halogen of this latter system here in the US and it uses an H1R2 halogen bulb that has an infrared coating to help the bulb burn brighter but without the extra heat associated with it for long bulb life.

500MADNESS.com
08-08-2011, 04:53 PM
We have been working on a 500 Specific (not generic) HID Kit with our partners and will have a very unique solution that we will be introducing the next 4 weeks.

We have a patent pending design that is in production now. We will be making an official announcement in the next several days. If you are planning to upgrade your lights you may want to hold off for a bit.

vten
08-10-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm actually just about to buy some hid kits for the headlights and foglights ... And I saw this thread .

Maybe you can give us the update about the upcoming hid kits please

500MADNESS.com
08-10-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm actually just about to buy some hid kits for the headlights and foglights ... And I saw this thread .

Maybe you can give us the update about the upcoming hid kits please

We will be posting detailed pics on the new kit in the next couple of days. I can truly tell you that it is unlike anything that is currently available.

The kits are in production and we will have them prior to the end of August.

vten
08-11-2011, 12:03 PM
thanks 500madness, I have to make it sneaky n stealthy to the car since my wife doesnt want me to mod her car :D

500MADNESS.com
08-11-2011, 05:07 PM
thanks 500madness, I have to make it sneaky n stealthy to the car since my wife doesnt want me to mod her car :D

I promise you that unless you actually point the new HID Kit we will be offering to someone they will never ever see it.

lirandy
08-16-2011, 03:49 PM
I promise you that unless you actually point the new HID Kit we will be offering to someone they will never ever see it.

i saw the prototype of their new HID kit they will be offered. it was just as stock as 500madness mentioned. i would've have gotten their HID kit if I didn't get a general one few months ago.....

shagghie
08-17-2011, 01:46 AM
About to buy a kit from another vendor, ....can't wait any longer. If you have an general information, that would be helpful for us in making a decision as to whether to wait or not...
Are we looking at days, weeks, or months, before actual delivery could take place? Thanks!

biancocinquecento
08-17-2011, 09:17 AM
DONT SPEND MORE THAN 65$ FOR HIDS! The 9012 or HIR2 bulb in our cars is nothing more than a 9006 that has Halogen InfRared Technology. (HIR? lol) I have HID/Xenon Lighting on my 500. www.ddmtuning.com, buy a 35W 9006 kit, and your done. Install is a breeze! I got 5000K, and that is the most factory looking color bulb. Hope this helps!

Noz
08-31-2011, 04:21 AM
BIANCO,

Could you give some details and pictures of this kit?

Also, can we change the fog lights to LED fogs from DDM?

Thanks

Noz
08-31-2011, 04:28 AM

Can you please explain the purpose of having seperate high/low beam sets? Pardon my ignorance but what does it exactly mean? Two bulbs in each housing?

Thanks for clarifying.

500MADNESS.com
08-31-2011, 03:30 PM
About to buy a kit from another vendor, ....can't wait any longer. If you have an general information, that would be helpful for us in making a decision as to whether to wait or not...
Are we looking at days, weeks, or months, before actual delivery could take place? Thanks!

We will have all the pictures up this week along with order information. The HID Kits will be in stock by the end of next week and we will start shipping all preorders the same day as they come in.

We have shown a number of FIAT Dealers the demo kit we have in stock right now and many have already pre ordered them due to their design, easy installation and a complete OEM look.

500MADNESS.com
08-31-2011, 03:32 PM
Can you please explain the purpose of having seperate high/low beam sets? Pardon my ignorance but what does it exactly mean? Two bulbs in each housing?

Thanks for clarifying.

The kit is designed to work for both Low and High Beams. They are not separate kits, it is all in one. The kit has a specially designed bulb that works for both high and low.

Hope that makes sense.

500MADNESS.com
08-31-2011, 03:35 PM

Chris, just a little FYI...

These are not specific kits that have been designed for the 500. These are simply generic HID Kits with external ballasts that someone is selling as a 500 specific kit. The ads are a bit misleading since they are being pitched as a 500 specific kit when they are not.

500MADNESS.com
09-01-2011, 11:20 AM
We just got notified that our shipment cleared customs and will be delivered to our shop today.

We will have the HID kits listed on our site today and I will post the product links along with pics up today for those that may be interested.

500MADNESS.com
09-01-2011, 08:45 PM
The kits are now in stock and the links are up!

The kits are available in 4300K, 5000K and 6000K. Here are the direct product links:

http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=37_71&product_id=563

http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=37_71&product_id=564

http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=37_71&product_id=65

If you have any questions about these kits or any of our products please do not hesitate to give us a ring at 562-981-6800.

Noz
09-04-2011, 04:57 AM
The picture of the lights from the front (vs stock) ....it seems saturated as compared to say a BMW HID light...which is very fine and sharp. Also...are these blue or just bright white?

Thanks!

500MADNESS.com
09-07-2011, 12:07 PM
The picture of the lights from the front (vs stock) ....it seems saturated as compared to say a BMW HID light...which is very fine and sharp. Also...are these blue or just bright white?

Thanks!

It was taken indoors with bad lighting and a relatively inexpensive camera, that's all. It is difficult to take a picture with a regular camera head on when the lights are on. It freaks out the camera and to be honest I am not a good photographer. :-)

The lights that were installed were 4300K.

We will be putting together a video on how to install these in the days ahead. This should help to show the kit and the easy installation. Once we have it we will post it up, but in a separate thread.

phattbam
09-11-2011, 02:06 AM
If I had only known 500Madness would have a stealth kit like that I would have waited as well

Bianco Cinquecento
09-28-2011, 09:39 AM
9006 DDM tuning kit. 35W 5000K :chuncky:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/domsjunk/6189120562/

Shouldnt spend more than 60 bucks on HID. This kit is awesome. Looks 100% stock, cutoff is perfect.

Atrus1212
10-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Hey I may have just the thing!! Once SEMA is done I'll be working with Advanced Automotive Concepts to design a LED Halo/Angel eye kit for the 2012 Fiat 500!! These will be installed into the Stock headlight housing!! So expect some more info and pictures toward the end of November early December!! Check out their website to see the quality work the do on other vehicles www.aacstyle.com I had their Dodge Magnum halos on my car and they were the most headturning mod I ever did to it!!