PDA

View Full Version : Fiat 500 White DRL options?

tyqwert
04-04-2019, 02:20 PM
So I have been wanting some white DRL for my 2013 Fiat 500 abarth, since the yellow is not to my taste, yet I do not want to hassle with LED lights. I have looked around and found the PIAA 7443 Xtreme White lights, however they are no longer available anywhere. I did some looking around to find some alternatives, and i found these "2x W21/5w T20 580 Dual Filament DRL 7443 Super White Hid Effect Bulbs" for about $10. They look very similar to the PIAA ones.

on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-W21-5w-T20-580-Dual-Filament-Drl-Sidelight-7443-Super-White-Hid-Effect-Bulbs-/232996329294?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

And I was curious if anyone knows if these are a possible fit? or if anyone has tried anything recently? I have looked at the forums and most attempts at non LED DRLs were a few years ago. I would appreciate any suggestions, thank you!

Ando
04-04-2019, 03:45 PM
I recently tried to go the opposite route and change my DRLs to amber (same issue, don't like the warm white/yellow color).

I bought the wrong socket though...'doh! That looks and sounds correct to me.

tyqwert
04-10-2019, 09:22 PM
Okay thank you! I went ahead and ordered them, it should get here in about a week, ill update if they work or not lol jestera

Mr_Ritka
09-12-2019, 02:28 PM
Can you guys post photos of the light swap?
I also dislike the yellow halogen look and don't want to deal with the LED and resistors crap.
I would prefer a bright white, day light look. Is the amber the "orange" color? Isn't there an amber light in there already for the turn signals?

Ando
09-12-2019, 04:45 PM
Is the amber the "orange" color? Isn't there an amber light in there already for the turn signals?

I was recently looking at LEDs for this application again (I've just been living with the yellow OEM DRLs).

Yes, amber light is commonly viewed as "orange" in color and is the same color as all front mounted turn signals. My goal was to have amber DRLs like our cousin the Dart.

https://www.allpar.com/photos/reviews/Dodge/dart-2013/dave/garage.jpg

Looks like the PIAA bulbs (https://www.amazon.com/Piaa-19226-Xtreme-White-Miniature/dp/B0002MAIIU) are in stock on Amazon if you want a proven white DRL.

Mr_Ritka
09-13-2019, 10:07 AM
I was recently looking at LEDs for this application again (I've just been living with the yellow OEM DRLs).

Yes, amber light is commonly viewed as "orange" in color and is the same color as all front mounted turn signals. My goal was to have amber DRLs like our cousin the Dart.

Looks like the PIAA bulbs (https://www.amazon.com/Piaa-19226-Xtreme-White-Miniature/dp/B0002MAIIU) are in stock on Amazon if you want a proven white DRL.

I had LEDs on the DRL for a while and I liked the look. However, I hated having the error code on the dash. According to the package, the lights were error code free...lies!
I actually went through a couple pair as one actually burned some LEDs and it eventually went one. I got the resistors but didn't feel like splicing wires and finding a good metallic place to mount them.
The amber option might not be too bad. I did find a PILOT brand 7443 xenon bulb but they seem to be sold out anywhere I check.

mp4guy
09-13-2019, 12:17 PM
Here's what I did. I found a company that also swore that their DTRL LEDs were fully CANbus compliant. Natch, they didn't promise 100%, but they said if ANY bulb would work, their's would. They claimed it worked on many Dodge and domestic FCA vehicles.

It didn't. I got the error message, and the bulbs flicker when the daylight setting is on. However: they do NOT flicker when used in tandem with the headlights. So I don't keep the daylight setting activated, and when I feel the need for the use of the DTRL's I simply turn my headlights on. Here's what they look like.

These are rated at 600 raw lumens, so they're on the bright side, and complement the LED headlights nicely. They also add a little "fill" at night.

So far, no one has licked the DTRL CANbus issue with these cars, after all these years!

Ando
09-13-2019, 12:37 PM
These are rated at 600 raw lumens, so they're on the bright side, and complement the LED headlights nicely. They also add a little "fill" at night.

I'm a bit worried that if you can see their light on the ground you are also blinding other drivers. Tough to say without knowing the lumen output of the OEM spec' halogens.

pmendoza502
09-13-2019, 03:51 PM
i 100% regret going with LEDs...

mp4guy
09-13-2019, 06:20 PM
I'm a bit worried that if you can see their light on the ground you are also blinding other drivers. Tough to say without knowing the lumen output of the OEM spec' halogens.

I haven't been flashed by anyone. I believe the Diode Dynamics SL1s I'm running are 1630 (raw) lumens and my DD fogs are 840.

Ando
09-13-2019, 06:27 PM
I haven't been flashed by anyone. I believe the Diode Dynamics SL1s I'm running are 1630 (raw) lumens and my DD fogs are 840.

Oh cool, those were the ones I was about to buy earlier this week. Bummer you can't use them without headlights though. =/

Good sign on not getting flashed.

mp4guy
09-13-2019, 07:47 PM
Oh cool, those were the ones I was about to buy earlier this week. Bummer you can't use them without headlights though. =/

I haven't seen ONE bulb product that can work yet. If you go through earlier threads on this forum, people have been trying for years. I thought these were the answer, but I'm pleased with the results anyway.

Mr_Ritka
09-24-2019, 12:26 PM
I haven't seen ONE bulb product that can work yet. If you go through earlier threads on this forum, people have been trying for years. I thought these were the answer, but I'm pleased with the results anyway.

True, I have researched enough and found people have tried several LED bulbs that guarantee no error code but to no avail. The only real solution is to splice the cable and use the resistors...which is a pain.