PDA

View Full Version : What tuning parts may void warranty?

Chris
05-26-2011, 02:33 PM
I asked my dealer about a cold air intake, but since Mopar isn't selling them yet I wasn't sure whether or not I might have to remove the intake assembly each time I go in for service (that's what he told me to do). Does anyone have specifics on what removing the (incredibly restrictive) airbox might do, and what I might be risking by installing the Competitione intake? I'm also strongly considering going for a Magnaflow full exhaust on my Prima.

I find the car to be way too quiet for my likes, I can't hear when to shift it's so quiet!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

RacerRon
05-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Each state has it's own rules regarding modifications to stock intakes. I don't think California allows it, but since I don't live in that state (I live in Texas), I'm not too sure. That's a strange comment by your dealer. If I'm reading it right, they are saying that you can buy the Mopar high performance intake, but just take it off when you come in for service??

Chris
05-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Well, they have virtually no info on the Mopar intake, and therefore they haven't really been trained on its details either from what I can tell.

As I live in Minnesota where there are no emissions testing, I don't foresee that end of the spectrum being at issue; rather, I think the concern would lie chiefly with changing around the engine compartment and introducing aftermarket parts. I haven't owned a new car before, so I'm trying not to screw up my warranty before anything breaks!

Maybe there's no simple answer to this question?

RacerRon
05-26-2011, 04:10 PM
As far as the warranty issue, I can't really say. The dealer should be able to tell you. I would like to know too, for future reference. Anybody in the know?

Fiat500USA
05-26-2011, 09:30 PM
I really don't think they will be any gain from an intake on this car. The air box might look restrictive, but it has a large capacity and you can even hear the intake noise being sucked into the engine. Plus the intake gets the air from up front. If you get an intake, make sure it's not sucking in underhood air.

Maybe our member PiZ from FPT can enlighten us on the subject?

Fiat500USA
05-26-2011, 09:39 PM
author="RacerRon">
As far as the warranty issue, I can't really say. The dealer should be able to tell you. I would like to know too, for future reference. Anybody in the know?

Well I hope it's not like VW. Every mod you do is reason for them to deny a warranty claim. I worked at a VW/Audi tuning shop and we used to hear horror stories of people getting hassled by VW/Audi dealers constantly.

Basically, if you do something and it causes a problem with the car, they can deny a warranty repair on the part effected. Makes sense. But some dealers, for example, like to deny a tail light claim because you put on an aftermarket exhaust. That doesn't fly, but some still pull that.

I think Chrysler will be better than VW's warranty department (almost every company is).

David Maddon
06-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Don't do it yet things are still going crazy. I promise nobody at FIAT is sleeping in late these days. Then call Fiat USA and ask them directly about Mopar parts which should not void the warranty as they are designed and tested on the 500. Non-FIAT after market parts might violate some of the warranty but those types of changes are general to do with inside the engine or turbos etc but most of those company work with fiat and are either approved of or offer their own warranty on the engine you know you can get about 300 HP out of a 500 maxed out. Call Fiat first though but give a few weeks.

LyraJayne
07-19-2011, 01:20 PM
I spoke with a rep at Fiat USA today who indicated that adding an aftermarket enhancer from 500madness would void the warranty but then again, I've had two dealers offer to install them for me. I'm not sure things have settled out enough for everyone to be on the same page.

500MADNESS.com
07-20-2011, 09:13 AM
I spoke with a rep at Fiat USA today who indicated that adding an aftermarket enhancer from 500madness would void the warranty but then again, I've had two dealers offer to install them for me. I'm not sure things have settled out enough for everyone to be on the same page.

Sorry to say, but that dealer is wrong. The part does not void any warranty and many FIAT dealers across the country are already installing these in their own demo 500 cars. I can tell you this as a fact,because they are purchasing it from us for resale.

The part has to cause the damage and it is up to the warranty provider (dealer) to prove that. Just because you install a part that is not made by the manufacturer on a car you own the warranty cannot be voided unless the provider can prove that the new part that you installed caused the damage.

I think that dealer is simply not familiar with the item.

We actually had a dealer tell one of our customers that was purchasing springs from us that if he installs springs his warranty would be void! At the same time we had 4-5 dealers this week ask us when we are getting our springs in. :-) Go figure!

I can see if the new springs put extra stress on the suspension and some parts wore quicker. Not covering this would make sense, but if his engine failed stating that installing the springs voided the warranty is just silly.

LyraJayne
07-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Sorry to say, but that dealer is wrong. The part does not void any warranty and many FIAT dealers across the country are already installing these in their own demo 500 cars. I can tell you this as a fact,because they are purchasing it from us for resale.

The part has to cause the damage and it is up to the warranty provider (dealer) to prove that. Just because you install a part that is not made by the manufacturer on a car you own the warranty cannot be voided unless the provider can prove that the new part that you installed caused the damage.

I think that dealer is simply not familiar with the item.

We actually had a dealer tell one of our customers that was purchasing springs from us that if he installs springs his warranty would be void! At the same time we had 4-5 dealers this week ask us when we are getting our springs in. :-) Go figure!

I can see if the new springs put extra stress on the suspension and some parts wore quicker. Not covering this would make sense, but if his engine failed stating that installing the springs voided the warranty is just silly.

Actually - this came directly from customer service at Fiat USA. I contacted you guys directly yesterday about this as well as my local dealers. There is some seriously conflicting information out there when Fiat USA is telling customers that this will ABSOLUTELY (emphasis theirs) void your warranty. Like I said to the gentleman I spoke with, contacting Fiat and getting it straightened out seems advisable. You don't want customer service reps from Fiat passing on incorrect info.

grapefish
10-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Actually - this came directly from customer service at Fiat USA.

Fiat USA can say what they like about that, but in the U.S. the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act says otherwise. As 500Madness says; a manufacturer must show that the aftermarket parts caused or directly contributed to the failure before they can deny a warranty claim.

Now, whether or not it's worth it to you to fight with Fiat (or in my case, Audi of America, several times ;-) over a warranty repair with a modified car is up to you. It's not fun even when you're in the right and you get the repair done as it should be.

I would suggest that if you have any concerns over warranty protection, don't mod until you're out of your warranty period. Then, go nuts, and have fun!

Also, hi everyone. :)

Felnus
10-10-2011, 06:07 PM
^^^What he said....

500MADNESS.com
10-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Fiat USA can say what they like about that, but in the U.S. the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act says otherwise. As 500Madness says; a manufacturer must show that the aftermarket parts caused or directly contributed to the failure before they can deny a warranty claim.

Bingo! You are 100% correct.

500MADNESS.com
10-12-2011, 03:13 PM
We have spoken to many FIAT CS Reps and most are not very familiar with the car or for that matter cars in general.

While displaying our cars at some shows we met some of the reps in person and actually gave them a small tour of our custom cars and made them aware of what exists and what we do. Afterwards many were surprised and stated that they will now recommend (unofficially) our company when someone is looking for aftermarket accessories.

However, there are many, many phone reps and keep in mind that while some may be very familiar with cars, the 500 and aftermarket parts some probably just left a job answering CS calls at a phone company, bank, or some other institution and are simply going by a script.

A manufacturer cannot validate an aftermarket part or tell you that it is OK to use. If they do this, they are pretty much endorsing the item. This they cannot do.

Most dealerships that have techs that know what they are doing will not tell you that an intake or an exhaust that you installed properly will void a warranty on the power windows or something similar. If they do, don't waste your time and go over their heads and appeal the decision. Mention the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act and that should end the issue.

Hope that helps a bit. If you have any questions at all do not hesitate to call us for help at 562-981-6800.

F500
10-12-2011, 08:45 PM

NO, not one, "aftermarket" or "non-OE" part will void your warranty. period. HOWEVER if one of your OE parts fail and its directly or even indirectly attributed to a non-OE part, then that repair will not be covered.

that being said, the call usually ends at the descretion of the dealer, so this is why its so important to do your best to have a good, if not great, working relationship with your local dealer. you can start by having them perform your regularly scheduled maintenance. the bottom line is that if they like you, they're more likely to go to bat with FIAT for you than if you're someone that just shows up for warranty work only.

not saying its right or its fair, but its the way it is. :)

fiat for life
10-14-2011, 02:52 PM
I spoke with a tech recently who said he had installed an Injen intake on a customer's 500 and then ran the car on the dyno. He said it gained 10whp. Pretty convincing to me.