PDA

View Full Version : USB Music Question

jamesday24
05-21-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to organize my mp3 files to be properly accessed in my car. The manual implies that you should only have your files one folder deep. Is that right? Apparently I should be able to browse my songs using VR by artist, title, and genre? <smiley image='anim_confused.gif'/>

ciddyguy
05-21-2011, 11:11 AM
author="jamesday24">
I'm trying to figure out how to organize my mp3 files to be properly accessed in my car. The manual implies that you should only have your files one folder deep. Is that right? Apparently I should be able to browse my songs using VR by artist, title, and genre? <smiley image='anim_confused.gif'/>

Can't say for sure but I read you should nest your folders and here is my thoughts on what they mean.

If you go with album as the main folder, in that, other folds should nest inside that.

So here is how I'd do it, assuming it's correct as I've not had a chance to try this out in the Fiat yet.

Album -> name of album -> track listing in order you want them.

So for me, I like to make mix CD's and like to preserve them in the order I built them so here is how I'd have them nested.

Album -> Freeformed (parent folder for all 6 CD's in this series) -> Freformed 1 (first vol. CD) -> track listing, and it's here that I may need to use the actual playlist but don't know yet. but in the Freeformed parent folder, would be individual folders with each vol inside and they'd each have the playlist or files for that CD.

Otherwise, use playlists (either wpl or m3u) and simply nest each playlist in each folder, with the folder being the directory folder for each playlist as described above.

What this means if I read this right is that you nest your folders to a single level, not quite sure what they mean by that so instead of album -> random playlists, put them in folders instead and nest them together.

Hope this makes sense.

Get your USB device and experiment until you can get it to do what you want and then report here how to go about setting the files so the rest of us can do that too.

jamesday24
05-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Just played with this in my car. Previously I was looking at the RADIO display which wasn't showing anything as I pressed RADIO Menu button. Today I finally realized you look at the center of the speedometer display and use the steering wheel Phone/Menu button. Sheesh! <smiley image='smiley_blush.gif'/>

I set up my folders for just one level: Artist > song.mp3

That worked OK, but now I will try going back to my normal two-level system and try it again:
Artist > Album > song.mp3

This is the one time I wish the 500 had a real LCD screen. <smiley image='smiley_uh.gif'/>

jamesday24
05-21-2011, 12:02 PM
The folder structure Artist > Album > song.mp3 worked as well. I guess since it is using the track metadata for artist, album, and genre, you could just dump all the mp3 files at the top-level and ignore the FOLDER navigation.

Thanks for the help. <smiley image='smiley_good.gif'/>

ciddyguy
05-21-2011, 03:42 PM
<quote author="jamesday24">
The folder structure Artist > Album > song.mp3 worked as well. I guess since it is using the track metadata for artist, album, and genre, you could just dump all the mp3 files at the top-level and ignore the FOLDER navigation.

Thanks for the help. <smiley image='smiley_good.gif'/>
</quote>

Good to know but the reason I use the folder structure is to maintain the playlist order of my original CD's and not all systems playing music off of the USB drive will maintain this file order as I found out with some aftermarket head units with USB ports, those that didn't use a 24 bit processor had trouble keeping the file folders in order and what's in them in order as well.

I realized when I was setting up the folders initially on my thumb drive that to make that work I had to begin the file name with a sequential number within that folder to keep things in order as Windows tends to sort alpha/numerically. With the B&M able to support playlists (and not all USB enabled factory audio systems do as I found out with the 2010 Hyundai Elantra my Mom recently rented since that system didn't support playlist formats at all).

fiatgal
05-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Ok... This is confusing me. I have an iPhone and currently can play my tunes using that blubridge recover device, but I have to use the phone if I want to skip to another track. The advantage is that if a phone call comes in, the iPod section automatically volumes down

It sounds like you are both using little USB sticks? So is the idea here to have a dedicated USB stick drive that contains songs and the ecodrive folder/app? Would the volume decrease if a phone call comes in?

ciddyguy
05-23-2011, 09:25 PM
author="FiatGal">
Ok... This is confusing me. I have an iPhone and currently can play my tunes using that blubridge recover device, but I have to use the phone if I want to skip to another track. The advantage is that if a phone call comes in, the iPod section automatically volumes down

It sounds like you are both using little USB sticks? So is the idea here to have a dedicated USB stick drive that contains songs and the ecodrive folder/app? Would the volume decrease if a phone call comes in?

FiatGal,

Here is how it works, the USB thumbdrive goes into the USB socket, you select USB for music listening, pair your phone to Bluetooth (the iPhone G4 should work), sync your contacts list and just use the bluetooth for your phone, that's it.

What you do is when you need to make a call say, hit the VR button, say call I think (check the manual for the words to use) and it'll ask you for the number or person, you respond accordingly (assuming your phonebook is synced) and it'll look up your contacts and dials, all the while your music pauses automatically via the B&M and the head unit, once you hang up, it resumes your tunes, again automatically.

That's how I plan on doing it once I get a Fiat or other car with USB connectivity built in.

A caveat though. have your eco drive files on a dedicated thumb drive as the B&M requires your music be on a dedicated drive, the Eco stuff on a dedicated drive and I think that may be true for most USB ports for most audio systems but can't say for sure.

Also, the system supports MP3 files, WMA files, WMA voice and for playlists, WPL and m3u but not WMA lossless per the manual, but I'll be verifying that when I can though. Also, you can do straight WAV files too for full CD quality sound, but creates the largest files of them all.

Good luck!

FiatLancia
05-23-2011, 10:12 PM
author="ciddyguy">

What you do is when you need to make a call say, hit the VR button, say call I think (check the manual for the words to use) and it'll ask you for the number or person, you respond accordingly (assuming your phonebook is synced) and it'll look up your contacts and dials

It's "Call" versus "Dial."

Saying "Dial" after pressing the VR button will prompt you to give a phone number.

Pressing VR and saying "Call" will prompt you for a contact's name. Blue n' Me will then ask whether you want that person's home number, work number, cell number, etc. called.

You can do commands and specifics together without waiting for the prompts as well, for example, saying "Call Shaun Folkerts Home" or "Dial 123-456-7890"

Pretty cool system. Does anyone know of an easy reference point for all the available commands and command structure/hierarchy for the US system? And is there any difference between the UK commands and the US? If it was originally programmed for the UK market and hasn't changed since coming stateside, maybe I need to speak with a Brit accent for the system to recognize my speech!

Prima 109
05-23-2011, 10:44 PM
You can call FIAT or Chrysler for a paper copy of the Blue & Me manual or download the pdf of it (was on this site somewhere). Here's the #1-248-944-7046 her name is Susan with Chrysler/FIAT HQ. She will have one sent to you via UPS. Mine's on it's way. Hope this helps.

jamesday24
05-23-2011, 11:21 PM
author="FiatLancia">
Pretty cool system. Does anyone know of an easy reference point for all the available commands and command structure/hierarchy for the US system?

Yes, the paper BLUE&ME User's Manual has diagrams of the voice commands on pages 76-83.

I am using the same USB flash drive for my music files and eco:Drive with no problem. Just make sure you leave enough empty space or the system will warn you about it.

ciddyguy
05-23-2011, 11:52 PM
author="FiatLancia">

author="ciddyguy">

What you do is when you need to make a call say, hit the VR button, say call I think (check the manual for the words to use) and it'll ask you for the number or person, you respond accordingly (assuming your phonebook is synced) and it'll look up your contacts and dials

It's "Call" versus "Dial."

Saying "Dial" after pressing the VR button will prompt you to give a phone number.

Pressing VR and saying "Call" will prompt you for a contact's name. Blue n' Me will then ask whether you want that person's home number, work number, cell number, etc. called.

You can do commands and specifics together without waiting for the prompts as well, for example, saying "Call Shaun Folkerts Home" or "Dial 123-456-7890"

Pretty cool system. Does anyone know of an easy reference point for all the available commands and command structure/hierarchy for the US system? And is there any difference between the UK commands and the US? If it was originally programmed for the UK market and hasn't changed since coming stateside, maybe I need to speak with a Brit accent for the system to recognize my speech!

Shaun,

Scroll down in the main Fiat 500 forum page until you see the post titled, Owner's manual and scroll down until you see 2 links, one for the US owner's manual and then the US B&M manual, both as PDF downloads and I've gone through both.

HTH...

fiatgal
05-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks everyone for the input.

I guess I'm debating whether to stick with my current setup (thumb drive for ecodrive, phone paired with B&M, phone's ipod paired with the Blubridge recover device for music streaming) or put ecodrive and music files on one thumb drive (like James's set-up), and just pair phone to B&M.

For iPhone users (Shaun and others)... how have you set it up?

Thad
05-24-2011, 09:10 PM
I have been using a single usb drive that contains music files in a folder and a bunch of other junk that I carry around. The drive also contains the eco:Drive folder.
I have a question about the Autoplay function. If I already have the usb in the car when I start the car, several minutes(maybe 3-5) later the usb will play music. I can select the Autoplay to off but the next time I stop and start the car, the music will play at some point on my drive. If I get in the car and immediately select autoplay off, it will not play on that particular drive.
Anybody else been through this one?

jamesday24
05-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Yes. The manual said the setting won't take until you turn off the car, but I have it turned off and it is still playing automatically after a few minutes. <smiley image='anim_confused.gif'/>

Thad
05-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Yea. I think they have a glitch on their hands. It seems to play quite randomly once per drive.

cogtooth
05-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Same 3-5 minute glitch. I removed music files so that I could continue to use ecodrive. Ecodrive seemed to also be affected by the music files and works better without them in the same usb drive.

FiatLancia
05-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Thanks, all, for directing me to the structure diagrams. I'll get an original hardcopy set to add to the literature file. I also have a copy of the Sirius stations guide that came with the car that seems to be very happy living on the d/s sunvisor (I never use the visor itself except for storage). Seems a good place for the command-structure list to live as well!

author="FiatGal">
For iPhone users (Shaun and others)... how have you set it up?

Together, the delivery dealer and I actually paired my iPhone with the car to be sure it worked and was functional before we left the dealership on day one. It's (mostly) worked since then (although I did have to completely shut down the phone and restart it in the car to "re-establish" the pairing a couple times).

As for the hardware/port setup I use, it's a thumbdrive (the Fiat-labeled one provided with the 500c brochure, actually) for EcoDrive and only EcoDrive. Most of the time, I just leave the EcoDrive thumbdrive inserted. I also have a power/data cord for the IPhone which I keep in the glovebox in case the phone's battery runs low, or I want to listen to my music from it. At that point, I just unplug the thumbdrive and plug in the iPhone. Our Garmin usually takes the cigarette lighter socket, but I could also plug the iPhone in there if necessary. I use the iPhone through Blue n' Me, but folks I've called to "test" the system with said that it sounds equally good when "bluetoothed" through the Garmin.

So here's follow-up question number one for the techies out there: can a usb hub/splitter be used with our cars to plug in the iPhone AND the EcoDrive thumbdrive simultaneously, or would that cause all sorts of problems with data/software? Is the car's computer smart enough to handle several inputs at the same time? Anyone tried it? What I'd plug into the car might look something like this:

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2984066/usbs.jpg

In the photo, there's an extra thumb-drive plugged in...one that could be used to store ONLY music files to keep that function separate from the iPhone, assuming Blue n' Me could handle multiple input devices, of course.

And follow-up question number two for the tech folks: has anyone paired a Garmin (or TomTom, or other GPS device) with Blue n' Me? We've got a Garmin with Bluetooth (775t) and have used it in other vehicles as our Bluetooth telephone handsfree device (paired only with our phones, NOT with the cars). So not sure what ELSE it could do with a Bluetooth CAR, except maybe pause/mute the stereo and provide its turn-by-turn directions over the 500's speaker system?

curtc757
07-16-2011, 10:03 AM
I've had good luck by using a 2.5" portable USB hard drive rather than a USB memory stick. I started by formatting it for Fat32 using the Apple Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder). I simply entered the iTunes folder on my Mac and copied all of the artist folders to the drive. I have more than 8000 tunes so this took hours - so if you have a large library, you should plan to start it and let it work while you give your 500 a bath or something. I simply plugged the drive into the receptacle in the glove compartment and after a little looking around the drive it started playing. To access specific artists, use this B&M Voice Sequence (this is close to the official and it works for me):

- Click Voice Button
- Say "Media Player"
- Hear the nice lady give you more options
- Say "Advanced USB Options"
- Say "Artists"
- Hear the nice lady tell you how to access the artists, then look at your central display NOT the radio.
- Use the back side steering wheel buttons on the left (BSSTBOTL) to select a letter range (clicking the center BSSTBOTL to make the selection).
- Now that you're within the range, you should see artists listed by name so use the up and down BSSTBOTL to navigate to the artist and use the center button to select the artist.
- If your iTunes library had multiple albums, you can navigate to the specific album you want using a similar procedure. Or just select "PLAY ALL" and it will play all albums by the artist you selected.

Once you've made your selections and the music starts, it's safe to look at the radio again where you will see the name of whatever is currently playing.

HINT: If you're getting random tunes when you don't expect to:

- Click the Voice Button
- Say "Shuffle OFF"
- Listen for the nice lady to confirm your choice.

Good luck!

Prima 109
07-16-2011, 08:39 PM
I call her Laura. LOL.:D

ciddyguy
07-17-2011, 04:53 PM
I've had good luck by using a 2.5" portable USB hard drive rather than a USB memory stick. I started by formatting it for Fat32 using the Apple Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder). I simply entered the iTunes folder on my Mac and copied all of the artist folders to the drive. I have more than 8000 tunes so this took hours - so if you have a large library, you should plan to start it and let it work while you give your 500 a bath or something. I simply plugged the drive into the receptacle in the glove compartment and after a little looking around the drive it started playing. To access specific artists, use this B&M Voice Sequence (this is close to the official and it works for me):

- Click Voice Button
- Say "Media Player"
- Say "Advanced USB Options"
- Say "Artists"
- Hear the nice lady tell you how to access the artists, then look at your central display NOT the radio.
- Use the back side steering wheel buttons on the left (BSSTBOTL) to select a letter range (clicking the center BSSTBOTL to make the selection).
- Now that you're within the range, you should see artists listed by name so use the up and down BSSTBOTL to navigate to the artist and use the center button to select the artist.
- If your iTunes library had multiple albums, you can navigate to the specific album you want using a similar procedure. Or just select "PLAY ALL" and it will play all albums by the artist you selected.

Once you've made your selections and the music starts, it's safe to look at the radio again where you will see the name of whatever is currently playing.

HINT: If you're getting random tunes when you don't expect to:

- Click the Voice Button
- Say "Shuffle OFF"
- Listen for the nice lady to confirm your choice.

Good luck!

Excellent! That's the clearest description of searching for your music via the B&M I've seen yet, question though, how did you set your files?

I like doing playlists (rather, albums) and keeping the music in the proper order I had chosen so when I say the name of the album I had made myself, I want to keep the track listing in its original order as I made for the CD. I also have a few multi-CD sets that I'd also like to keep in their original order so I've thought I'd just create a master folder with the full set title and each sub folder would have one entire CD on it in the order it was created for CD nestled in the main folder, labeled to reflect what it is and its vol. #, so for instance, I have a Freeformed CD series and 6 CD's in all in that series so the master folder would be Freeformed with each album within named freeformed Vol1, freeformed vol2 etc so I can go to the master folder, say play all and it'll play all sub folders in chronological order tracks as I had intended them to be, beginning with Vol 1 and ending with Vol 6. or I can simply scroll down and choose a specific vol folder to play.

Am I on the right track on that score? I need to set up my thumb drive enough to test this out with the 500 as I'm still working on buying one when funds permit.

Thanks!

cmj912
07-18-2011, 09:58 PM
I wonder if I am reading these right. I had the post about the old iPod I was using and recently I went out and bought a thumbdrive so that I could use EcoDrive. I copied my music onto it and everything worked correctly.

But I'm noticing that even if I tell the "nice lady" :) to turn Autoplay off it doesn't seem to stay off. It will still occasionally just start playing a USB track but I'm wondering if it is something that I am doing like if I say "play anything" does that turn Autoplay back on or what...

I notice that it can find the tracks more easily with the USB than it could with the iPod.

Sort of strange.

So those that are using EcoDrive, are you just plugging that in from a separate USB drive from time to time to download the info from the car and keeping your music files separate?

mmccormick
07-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Quick question: with all devices must you scroll through artists/albums/etc. on the speedometer or can you actually say sometime like "Artists. Pearl Jam" and have it play Pearl Jam?

ciddyguy
07-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Quick question: with all devices must you scroll through artists/albums/etc. on the speedometer or can you actually say sometime like "Artists. Pearl Jam" and have it play Pearl Jam?

Yes, the voice recognition system WILL work with music, you hit the VR button and say, music, I think is the correct command and it should then prompt (ask really) you what to play and you say whatever file you are seeking and I think use the scroll buttons on the back of the wheel (seek) to scroll through individual titles within that folder.

The manual should have the instructions as well as the voice commands to use. I"d recommend you check them out.

ciddyguy
07-29-2011, 09:48 PM
I wonder if I am reading these right. I had the post about the old iPod I was using and recently I went out and bought a thumbdrive so that I could use EcoDrive. I copied my music onto it and everything worked correctly.

But I'm noticing that even if I tell the "nice lady" :) to turn Autoplay off it doesn't seem to stay off. It will still occasionally just start playing a USB track but I'm wondering if it is something that I am doing like if I say "play anything" does that turn Autoplay back on or what...

I notice that it can find the tracks more easily with the USB than it could with the iPod.

Sort of strange.

So those that are using EcoDrive, are you just plugging that in from a separate USB drive from time to time to download the info from the car and keeping your music files separate?

The auto play is an issue with many and it may have something to do with the system recognizing the thumb drive initially and may also be Eco Drive related but I don't think anyone knows for sure.

kaveh1983
04-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Hi everyone!
sorry if im being a bit stupid when it comes to playing MP3s from my car but before i get FIAT a week ago i had a honda crz and when i connected my iphone i could choose the artists and play the artists that i wanted. i have the user manual and i tried to do what it says in order to get the music from my iphone to show based on artists first so i can choose who i want to listen to!
for some reason i cant get it to even get there! can somebody PLEASE help me. im extremely frustrated with this situation and you guys are my only hope!
thanks!

paook
07-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Weird... sounds like you guys get your stereos to play a usb flashdrive?

My bose system works fine with a standalone mp3 player plugged into usb. It refuses to work with a usb flashdrive (not much point in Fiat sending me that nice Abarth scoropion drive!). I have arranged the files in folders as indicated, with appropriate metadata (track number, artist, etc). I have talked with ather 500 owners in person with the same issue.

Any ideas?

EugeneS
07-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Weird... sounds like you guys get your stereos to play a usb flashdrive?

My bose system works fine with a standalone mp3 player plugged into usb. It refuses to work with a usb flashdrive (not much point in Fiat sending me that nice Abarth scoropion drive!). I have arranged the files in folders as indicated, with appropriate metadata (track number, artist, etc). I have talked with ather 500 owners in person with the same issue.

Any ideas?

Hi paook,

Check how your flashdrive formatted. I remember few members mentioning that the system doesn't recognize NTFS, FAT or Mac formats. It should be formated as FAT 32.

Cheers,
Eugene

paook
07-17-2012, 12:21 AM
Hi paook,

Check how your flashdrive formatted. I remember few members mentioning that the system doesn't recognize NTFS, FAT or Mac formats. It should be formated as FAT 32.

Cheers,
Eugene

This fixed it! I'll share the info with the others in my local Fiat club.

swinter
07-30-2012, 08:41 PM
I had the opposite experience. Media Player does not read my Sansa Fuse at all.

Best solution for the USB drive for us Mac users (courtesy of Fiat Dancer) is Double Twist.

The onboard computer seems to be formatted for Windows files. (Though it plays the iPhone.) When Double Twist solved that.

luckymoi
07-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Autoplay off is a bug. Even advice from ciao-fiat and the manuals did not work
My advice ... do not turn on autoplay.
I have made two passes several months apart to no avail.
If anyone solves it please let the waiting hordes know... pleas.

Sjoerd22
02-09-2015, 03:21 PM
Hi !

Check out the Fiat 500 USB Optimizer BluMeUSB !

Happy motoring in your Fiat 500 !

Sjoerd :tears_of_joy:

Megalomaniacal
02-09-2015, 03:42 PM
whats that?

Sjoerd22
02-10-2015, 12:59 PM
It is a windows program that prepares a USB stick for playing MP3s on the blue&Me system without problems. It converts titles and file names in the proper character set, it repairs tags so that they will not hangup the system and it sets the overall volume of the flashdrive. The Ecodrive files remain un changed.
It is an MP3 optimizer especially for Blu & Me. To be technical, it converts ID3v2 tags and APE tags to the ID3v1 standard that the Blue&Me system can read. Look up BluMeUSB on Google.

New500!
12-11-2015, 01:39 PM
I am using just a flash drive that has about 15,500 songs, but only 8 play. What should I do as I don't understand the folder thing.

Musashi66
12-11-2015, 03:51 PM
From what I can tell, it only reads songs with ID3V1 tags not with V2 tags which is how all my 20000+ songs are encoded with. I "solved" it by removing ID tags - now it plays all my songs, but I can't play genres or artist - just click next if I don't like it.

Greg Elmassian
12-11-2015, 08:26 PM
Why not just put v1 tags on your songs? There's plenty of freeware to do that... that's what I did.

Greg

Musashi66
12-11-2015, 08:35 PM
I used Mp3Tagit, didn't know how to replace V2 with V1...I just copied my other drive that works just fine in my Pilot.

Sjoerd22
12-12-2015, 07:35 AM
I used Mp3Tagit, didn't know how to replace V2 with V1...I just copied my other drive that works just fine in my Pilot.

Sorry to repeat, but BluMeUSB does that...quickly....without messing around with freeware tools...all of them in one go !