PDA

View Full Version : Fiat 500X Trekking 2017 / "sound system unavailable" message

Pedrocarbona
03-01-2019, 09:41 PM
Good afternoon everybody. My name is Pedro, and I live in Texas.
I bought a 2017 Fiat 500X Trekking 2 weeks ago and I changed the factory radio for an aftermarket one (Pioneer).
After several issues (dashboard lights blinking, odometer blinking) I took the car to a very well known stereo shop in Houston and they have installed the factory radio back on.
Im now facing a "sound system unavailable" message and I cannot change the volume (up and down).
I have disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and the message is still there.
Any ideas??? Please let me know
Thanks!
Pedro

Southernroadrunner
03-02-2019, 10:55 AM
Hi Pedrocarbona , welcome to the group and congrats on your car purchase. Someone else will have to chime in on your issue sir.

rustbucket
03-02-2019, 08:06 PM
As you've discovered, the days of simply swapping out one radio for another are gone. Your radio and most others today no longer exist in isolation but are part of a computer network of sorts that runs everything from the engine itself, lights, brakes (antilock, stability and traction control) to your audio system. Your radio has to be able to talk to other parts of the car.

It's mostly above my pay grade but the link below should give you (and me) the basics on how it all works....

http://https://www.csselectronics.com/screen/page/simple-intro-to-can-bus/language/en#CAN-Bus-Intro-Dummies-Basics

My guess is that your fix is a software one which will require a trip to the dealer where they should make sure all the software is up to date and working as it should. I'd also check on the factory warranty which is basically bumper to bumper for 4 years or 50,000 miles from the day the car was first put into service ...you may have some factory warranty left.

Congratulations on your new ride. Let us know how it turns out.

Pedrocarbona
03-03-2019, 10:37 PM
Rustbucket, thank a lot for the reply. I still have some warranty left and will try to schedule an appointment with the dealership here in Houston.
Two questions:
Do you know if a "Hard Reset" might solve the problem? if yes, any idea in how to do it?
Is there an aftermarket stereo that will work with NO CONFLICT with the car?
Tks a lot!

rustbucket
03-10-2019, 03:57 PM
I'm afraid I won't be of much help Pedro. I go back to the days of eight track stereo but haven't been able to keep up with all the changes in automotive electrical architecture ... that's a full time job in itself. And it's still changing rapidly with stuff like Ram trucks' auto stop/ start and 48 volt assist motor (which I think is also the starter).

A "hard reset" might work but even if it did I'd probably still go to the dealer to make sure your software is up to date. My 500 has had numerous updates in the five years I've had it, some dealing with the audio system. The first thing my dealer does when I pull in for service is to plug it in to see if all the software is up to date.

As for a stereo with no conflict I'd give Crutchfields a try and talk to one of their tech reps. I'm not convinced big box stores like Best Buy have the expertise to deal with the issues you're having. Sorry to take so long to respond. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Pedrocarbona
03-21-2019, 04:16 PM
Rustbucket and all...I took the car to the Dealership last week (March 12th). One week after, they have called me saying that it was a problem with the amplifier, and they have requested the piece to be replaced. Yestreday they called me again, saying that during the installation, they saw that some of the wires were cut and that someone probably tried to install an aftermarket radio...so, in order to give me a diagnose, they will charge me a Min of Usd 455.00 (only for the diagnose). They were not able to give me an estimate to fix the problem. Long story short, I picked up the car and I still have the same problem...Will try to talk to the guy that put the factory radio back, to see what options he thinks I have. I want to try to do a hard reset, but so far, I wasn't able to find a "how to do it". Thanks!