PDA

View Full Version : reliability ?

bloglo
05-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Hi,

I ordered a 500 back in march and the ETA was last week. So it should be here this week.

I still have a possibility to cancel everything...

So far, my biggest concern is the long term reliability. Many people have serious doupts about the reliability, including one of my close friend who's a mechanic and work at a subaru dealer after 15 years in an honda dealer. He clearly told me to walk out and get a car with a good reputation... Chrysler doe'snt have a big reputation for quality, Fiat neither and Mexican build cars have horrible reputations. So that dos'nt look very well. the chrysler, fiat & mexican combination could be a recipe for catastrophe.

So far, on this board, we have seen some cases of very poor initial quality, but some people seems very happy with the car. On the board, we have seen a case of blown motor with only a few miles on it, poor sheetmetal (could mean a lot of rust in a few years), badly made paint job, broken plastics, electronic problems (blue&me, engine controls)

I will have to communute 45 miles a day in that car and I can't afford to be left without a car if that car is to spend a lot of time in the service bay. My job need me to be there, on time, every weekday.

the expresso sport 500 with marrone interior is about to be here, my heart and soul say get it, my rational brain say get out as soon as you can and get a proven reliable car.

after months of wait, a deposit at the dealer, I still don't know what to do.

ciddyguy
05-09-2011, 09:45 AM
author="bloglo">
Hi,

I ordered a 500 back in march and the ETA was last week. So it should be here this week.

I still have a possibility to cancel everything...

So far, my biggest concern is the long term reliability. Many people have serious doupts about the reliability, including one of my close friend who's a mechanic and work at a subaru dealer after 15 years in an honda dealer. He clearly told me to walk out and get a car with a good reputation... Chrysler doe'snt have a big reputation for quality, Fiat neither and Mexican build cars have horrible reputations. So that dos'nt look very well. the chrysler, fiat & mexican combination could be a recipe for catastrophe.

So far, on this board, we have seen some cases of very poor initial quality, but some people seems very happy with the car. On the board, we have seen a case of blown motor with only a few miles on it, poor sheetmetal (could mean a lot of rust in a few years), badly made paint job, broken plastics, electronic problems (blue&me, engine controls)

I will have to communute 45 miles a day in that car and I can't afford to be left without a car if that car is to spend a lot of time in the service bay...

I'd say it's definitely an unknown but look at how the car fairs in Europe, Both the Panda, from which this car is based and the 500, which are made in Tichy Poland have fared very well and many of their other cars built in Italy have also been faring much better than in the past.

Fiat uses galvanized sheet metal for ALL critical areas of the car where rust is an issue and is considered one of the most rust resistant cars built - as are most cars today, there ARE exceptions.

The blown motor may well have been nothing more than a defective head gasket, another car with sheet metal problems looks to have had issues that stemmed from shipping with the scratched bumper, the issues there had NOTHING to do with Fiat itself, but the dealer whom told the shop to rush the job and Fiat, once told of the situation got right on the case and nipped it in the bud.

Plus, this is a new car, built in a new factory (a pre-existing factory that built the PT Cruiser which WAS fairly reliable) on a dealer network that's getting set up after a 27 year hiatus.

I have faith that what we are seeing are anomalies in early production, plus compounded by a new parts supply chain as many of the parts necessary for the car are sourced here in the US as well as abroad as the motor is built here in Dundee MI and an early head gasket failure CAN occur in just about any other car as well.

Not to say that Fiat will immediately beat Toyota and Honda in warranty claims early on, but I think in the end, they'll have put their past reputation behind them and seem to be doing so in Europe.

I'm buying a Fiat if I can swing for it.

Thad
05-09-2011, 12:25 PM
The mechanic obviously has no idea of what Fiat has been up to for the last 30 years. The factory at Toluca -I believe- had one of the best reputations for quality. FYI the 500 has been on the streets since 2007 and was Euro Car of the Year in 2008. They built over a half million of them a year ago. It's not an unproven design.

5*(10)^2
05-09-2011, 12:35 PM
If you have doubts now, don't get it. Trust me. I had doubts like yours. Even on the day itself, I was asking my wife "Should we get it?". We went ahead. What a regret.

Giallo Edizione
05-09-2011, 12:38 PM
author="5*(10)^2">
If you have doubts now, don't get it. Trust me. I had doubts like yours. Even on the day itself, I was asking my wife "Should we get it?". We went ahead. What a regret.

That's just a damn shame. Can happen with any car I suppose.

Fiat500USA
05-10-2011, 03:22 AM
I once bought an Audi that I kept for 12 years. The first 9 months it was at the dealership constantly with warranty repairs that amounted to $12,000 in parts alone. After that, it was a great car, no problems and 210,000 miles.

If you are concerned, why not wait a few months until the dealers and the organization have settled down to a normal routine. Most of the issues I hear about can be attributed to everything (cars/network) being brand new. Remember, most everyone here has a car that is from the first production run from January.

After that, I wouldn't worry... the Fiat has a lot better warranty than an Audi;)

bloglo
05-10-2011, 09:31 AM
The car is arrived at the dealer,

saw it yesterday and drove it for a test drive.

My heart say even more "get it".

I still have to go thru the actual signing process.

The commercial director is still trying to push all extras and fees down my throat. More than 3000$ of fees, additionnal insurance, additionnal warranty, antirust treatment, antitheft marking, accessories, scotchguard and other ADP (additionnal dealer profits). When I ordered the car back in march, it was supposed to be sold without any dealer fees or doc fees. Only MSRP

once I get him out of my way and get rid of all these, I think i will get the car.

If he still push some fees over MSRP and don't accept the deal agreed in march, I will go across the street at the ford, honda or mazda dealer.

any other suggestion for a nice daily commuter, fuel sipper and in the same price range or less than the 500?

kzod
05-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Did you sign a contract when you ordered the car stipulating the "final price" and or fee structure? If you did and they took your deposit they are legally obligated to follow through on the deal. Don't let them rip you off. Besides with a car that you should hopefully want to9 keep for years do you truly want to be stuck doing business with crooks? TYhink how bad you'll get ripped off on service down the road if they start like this now. Remember the sales is typically the clean part of buying a car, the service people can be the worst crooks in the business.

sjmst
05-10-2011, 04:37 PM
I drive 100 miles per day. I got the car on March 28th. I already have 3500 miles on it.
The clock may lose a minute every two weeks. I am keeping an eye on that.
Other than that the car has been flawless. No design or manufacturing defects, perfect fit and finish, everything works as it should, feels solid as a steel vault. I don't have the slightest doubt this will give me years of trouble free service.

bloglo
05-11-2011, 04:31 PM
finally the car will be home in a few hour.

Cleared up the sales bill to the price i had planned.

got the financing, insurance and paperwork done.

I hope for the best and look forward to a few years of trouble free happy commuting.

I will be part of the gang tonight

Thad
05-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Excellent news! Come and join us at www.flu.org. We have a very exciting convention planned for July in Nashville.

Fiat500USA
05-12-2011, 10:25 AM
author="bloglo">
finally the car will be home in a few hour.

Cleared up the sales bill to the price i had planned.

got the financing, insurance and paperwork done.

I hope for the best and look forward to a few years of trouble free happy commuting.

I will be part of the gang tonight

Congratulations and welcome to the family!

Rossonero404
05-12-2011, 10:29 AM
The good news is, this car comes with a great warranty, plus the option for more years at time of purchase.

Did anyone else get offered the 'Lifetime" warranty? Cost $3,000 more, but if you really think about it, whats $3,000 if you plan on owning this car for a very long time, especially if you have a numbered car like the Prima. I didn't get it, but i really thought about it.

Jimbo
01-26-2013, 02:57 AM
After a little more than a couple grand on the clock, my 2012 pop performs well above my expectations. I had NO plan on even buying one until i took my nephew to look at them. After a test drive, we both bought new pops the same day. Absolutely NO regrets. This car is solid as a rock, you can feel and hear the quality when closing the doors, hatch, hood, etc. I'm averaging 38mpg mixed driving, and the fun factor is off the scale driving this car. Years ago, i had an old "hump-back" body style Volvo, which i loved. This pop reminds me of that Volvo, with the solid build quality and peppy engine. Also, i was amazed at all of the features that came standard in the pop. I say get one, you'll love it.

sjmst
01-26-2013, 04:35 PM
The mechanic obviously has no idea of what Fiat has been up to for the last 30 years. The factory at Toluca -I believe- had one of the best reputations for quality. FYI the 500 has been on the streets since 2007 and was Euro Car of the Year in 2008. They built over a half million of them a year ago. It's not an unproven design.

THIS.
Even Consumer's Union rates it as "average." From them, that's a rave. I put 33,000 miles on Sport and now 15,000 miles on my Abarth. No problems.
Remember when people have problems they tend to discuss them, not when all is well. So boards have a disproportionate level of defects reported.

madbyrd
01-27-2013, 11:19 AM
I will hit the 20000 mile mark on my 2012 Pop next week. I also average 38mpg with the automatic and have had zero problems, not even a rattle! Go for it.

4carbcorvair
01-27-2013, 03:39 PM
That is one of the biggest questions I get asked, reliability. Time will tell. :) During that time, we will enjoy it.

Thad
01-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Well, the FIAT 500 has crossed the one million mark for production. If there were serious problems, you would have heard about them. I don't see it. I have in excess of 25k miles on my car which I bought in March 2011. I've had a few stupid minor warranty items but I'm very picky too.

PenoNation
01-28-2013, 04:40 PM
It's good to hear the success stories, but the original post from this thread was made in 2011. I wonder how Bloglo's car doing. :p

cmj912
02-01-2013, 11:05 AM
It's good to hear the success stories, but the original post from this thread was made in 2011. I wonder how Bloglo's car doing. :p

From his posts it seems he went at least 18k in the Sport he bought without a hitch... :)

Like it has been said, people don't tend to post when all's well (which is also why I haven't posted much lately).

Pionieri Tridentina
02-27-2013, 03:00 PM
The 500 is actually not a new car, but it runs in Europe almost 7years. I'm Italian from the North East, if the 500 can survive the Italian driving ( mountains, stop and go in our small busy towns, 80 mph on our highways ), well than it should be very good here in the US. I have not heard of any complains in Italy.
I live in OK and bough my in Edmond OK, before that I checked with a few friends in Italy that drive one and got only thumbs up. My friend Marina drives one in Rome, stop and go and sport mode all the time with no issue at all.
I got a 500 pop with standard gear in 7/12, have currently 22k miles, commute on the easy highways in OK between Norman and Lawton, did 3 trips to MarfaTX, and I'm very very happy.

I have only one annoying issue, the plastic inside the cabin seems to scratch easy, that's all.

Jimbo
03-25-2013, 10:37 PM
I've read a lot of complaints about the plastic scratching easily. I haven't had that problem with my 2012 Pop, not a scratch anywhere. Not a scratch, squeek, rattle, nothing.
Solid as a rock and runs like a champ.

panther76
03-26-2013, 04:48 AM
for me long term reliability usually comes down to mechanical reliability. its what will keep the car on the road for 200,000+ miles. many other things can go bad that are convenience items, even in Hondas and Toyotas ive had, but what was under the hood kept those cars going reliably for a long time. it will be years before we can assess the mechanical reliability of the 1.4 multiair.

Andree
03-26-2013, 05:02 AM
I've read a lot of complaints about the plastic scratching easily. I haven't had that problem with my 2012 Pop, not a scratch anywhere. Not a scratch, squeek, rattle, nothing.
Solid as a rock and runs like a champ.

I got yet another survey, asking about any defects/problems, and I had none to report.

I felt stupid when it asked about what KIND of transmission my automatic was. I don't know. It's Automatic. Automagic. I have no idea if it's CVT(?) or there was some other kind. All I can tell the survey and everyone else is that the automatic transmission is SMOOOOOOOOOOOOTH. It's like butter. There is NO jerking, which I've had in every other automatic I've had. No jerking when it's upshifting as I'm accelerating slowly, no jerking when it downshifts for more power if I have to hard accelerate, no jerking when it downshifts on it's own as I'm slowing.

The last car jerked enough to be painful, not as bad as the public bus, but enough so that it was unpleasant. I kind of want to hug my Fiat transmission.

I suppose the various surveys will keep on coming. There are more surveys with this car than there were with the last car, but maybe it's because Fiat is still pretty new for the US. I mean, the car itself and the manufacturer aren't new in the world, but for the US, they both are. So all the surveys go to build up a history of Fiat since they came back to US.

I'd recommend folks do the surveys, honestly, to help build on that history. If there is a weak spot somewhere, the only way it will become known is if it's reported and fixed at the dealership. And reported on surveys. If there isn't a weak spot, and everyone reports that their car works great, then it goes on to be reported to the public. Somewhere. Probably in those yearly review or award things.

That in turn increases sales for Fiat, and increases resale value of our own cars if the time comes. You all already know from yourself and others, that the people most likely to be vocal are the ones who have problems. There are a bazillion of these little cars all over, and people don't usually sit down to right a post about how smooth their transmission was today, like it was yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that. I think I'm the only one who has mentioned how nice it is, but maybe it's because I NOTICE and appreciate it more because of my back problems.

Andree
03-26-2013, 05:06 AM
for me long term reliability usually comes down to mechanical reliability. its what will keep the car on the road for 200,000+ miles. many other things can go bad that are convenience items, even in Hondas and Toyotas ive had, but what was under the hood kept those cars going reliably for a long time. it will be years before we can assess the mechanical reliability of the 1.4 multiair.

You said it better than all my rambling! What YOU said is a good reason to do the surveys, even if there is nothing at all wrong with the car. Reporting no problems is as important as reporting problems.

FTY
03-26-2013, 07:55 PM
You said it better than all my rambling! What YOU said is a good reason to do the surveys, even if there is nothing at all wrong with the car. Reporting no problems is as important as reporting problems.

:encouragement:

ShooterBobSC
10-29-2014, 10:31 AM
If I get one of those surveys I may have to use extra paper!!