PDA

View Full Version : low mileage oil change ?

saypat
01-21-2019, 07:48 PM
Hello. I was told to change my oil every 10,000 miles or every 1 year. I don't drive near that many miles .... I'm embarrassed to say how few really. With very limited mileage should I still change my oil once a year?

question, are there repair shops out there that do oil changes on Abarths? Anyone used them? Do they know what they're doing? And how much do they charge? Not sure what my Fiat dealer charges but they offer a coupon for a 5 quart synthetic oil change for $89. How is that price if you know please?

thanks for any replies.....

patrick

Southernroadrunner
01-21-2019, 07:57 PM
Hello. I was told to change my oil every 10,000 miles or every 1 year. I don't drive near that many miles .... I'm embarrassed to say how few really. With very limited mileage should I still change my oil once a year?

question, are there repair shops out there that do oil changes on Abarths? Anyone used them? Do they know what they're doing? And how much do they charge? Not sure what my Fiat dealer charges but they offer a coupon for a 5 quart synthetic oil change for $89. How is that price if you know please?

thanks for any replies.....

patrick

I was told once a year or 10k whichever comes first. I take my own oil and buy the filter through the dealer and the bill is usually $22 when I come out with a coupon that I get on line through the dealers website.

Ando
01-21-2019, 08:17 PM
I did oil changes at my Studio for 3 oil changes while still under warranty. I think default price was pretty close to the $89 you mentioned but the stars aligned and two of my changes fell during $50 full synth promos. Considering it costs me $45 to buy an OEM filter and the recommended oil that's a no brainer. If you are doing once per year changes you can watch for those promos. They used to happen roughly once per quarter but I've stopped paying attention as I do my own now.

My experience with euro cars has been this: If the shop knows what they are doing, they will most likely charge similar or higher than the dealer.

ttforcefed
01-21-2019, 10:17 PM
i have almost 2 dozen cars i dont drive much. with synthetic you can go every 24 months with no issues.

aelfwyne
01-22-2019, 12:24 AM
On an Abarth, 10,000 miles is too long by far. Tuned or not. Especially if tuned, you will regret 10k mile oil changes. In fact, the oil change light indicator normally triggers at 6000 to 8000 miles, and the owners manual says something similar.

I might have been inclined to disagree, but a summer spent replacing an engine has convinced me.

saypat
01-22-2019, 01:25 AM
thanks for the replies. I have a coupon from Mopar for an oil and filter change - it says 5 quart synthetic. Doesn't my 2015 Abarth take 4 quarts?

SeaDawg
01-22-2019, 04:11 AM
Pat, I change the oil in my 2016 Sport once a year because, like you I drive less than 3,000 miles per year (I have another car). I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 as mine isn't a turbo. In the past I have ordered my oil and filters from Amazon and just paid the local FIAT dealer for labor and the ubiquitous "shop fee". I wouldn't go any more than 12 months as that is per the owner's manual, no matter what kind of oil you use.

I wouldn't feel comfortable letting someone I didn't KNOW was knowledgeable with FIATs change my oil.

SeaDawg
01-22-2019, 04:13 AM
thanks for the replies. I have a coupon from Mopar for an oil and filter change - it says 5 quart synthetic. Doesn't my 2015 Abarth take 4 quarts?

Yes 4 quarts.

ice445
01-22-2019, 05:58 AM
Oil is time limited to an extent, but I wouldn't feel bad going a year on synthetic. These engines run hot so they mostly wear out the oil with miles/use.

Southernroadrunner
01-22-2019, 09:09 AM
i have almost 2 dozen cars i dont drive much. with synthetic you can go every 24 months with no issues.

I would make a guess and say if you've got one that's within powertrain warranty and you cant show that you changed oil within factory recommendations and an engine goes there might be a challenge back on the owner. But I could be wrong.

Fiat500USA
01-22-2019, 11:28 AM
I think the problem with not changing it every year is that on a car that isn't used frequently the condensation that builds up in the engine isn't evaporated and can build up in the oil. You need to get rid of that as it can cause all sorts of issues. Where you live and how you drive (short trips are really bad on oil) I'm sure comes into play, but changing the oil yearly is a rule of thumb frequently used. $90 or so every year isn't too bad for maintenance costs. There isn't much else to do, besides maybe getting a battery tender so the battery doesn't sulfate from sitting.

saypat
01-23-2019, 03:21 PM
Once again, appreciate the replies as I am fairly ignorant about maintaining a car. I took my Abarth in this morning for my 4th and last complimentary oil change. Thank you Fiat. I have about 8400 miles on it now. I looked at the date and mileage of my last oil change - 1 year ago and 1400 miles ago :beguiled: I sure don't drive much. I was concerned about taking it in as my studio moved, consolidated, with our local Jeep, Dodge, dealer. We had the number 1 volume dealer in the USA, guess money issues forced them to move. But it went VERY WELL at the new location thankfully. I'm all set for another year! Think I'll get out today and go for a drive.