PDA

View Full Version : Factory mod requests

Thad
03-21-2011, 07:43 PM
After having my car just a couple of days there are a few things I'd like to have changed:
-Lower passenger seat
-Sport mode stays in on position after restart(so you don't have to re-activate it every freakin time)
-No horn blast when locking the doors
-plastic/rubber wear surface for dead pedal/foot rest -the carpet has already worn.

I'm sure these things are do-able.

Alvon Elrod
03-21-2011, 08:45 PM
I would add to your list:
1) compact spare tire, with jack and tool kit. These are essential safety items for any car.
2) Printed Owner's manual, radio manual, and warranty manual are a must.
3) Option to purchase a Shop Manual (since the owner's manual has no instructions for doing even the most basic maintenance, like changing oil & filter)

Thad, did you experiment with programming the Key fob to open all doors with one click? I followed the instructions, but had no success. (Hold door lock button for more than 4 but less than 10 seconds, then press unlock while holding the lock button, then release both buttons at the same time).

Alvon

CaliberSRT4
03-21-2011, 09:08 PM
author="Alvon Elrod">
1) compact spare tire, with jack and tool kit. These are essential safety items for any car.
3) Option to purchase a Shop Manual (since the owner's manual has no instructions for doing even the most basic maintenance, like changing oil & filter)

1) Too late for the PE's. Unless you are suggesting that they make the spare kit available through Mopar, which makes sense.
2) You can call a phone number and get a free printed manual mailed to you.
3) This is basically the norm. Often you can find a copy of the service manual somewhere online and download it. Some websites will try and charge you, but I was able to find the service manual for my car for free.

5*(10)^2
03-21-2011, 09:11 PM
I wonder if I could request a clutch stopper to minimize the 'free space'.

Minuszka
03-22-2011, 12:17 AM
" 2) You can call a phone number and get a free printed manual mailed to you. " - not really. Fiat called me and transferred to this Chrysler free manual hotline, where they said that they never heard of Fiat and they don't have anything fiat since they are Chrysler. On top of that a manual for a 2012 model? I called Fiat to report that and they connected me again to the very same people, whom reassured me again that they have nothing to do with Fiat and they absolutely can't help with a printed Fiat manual.

Giallo Edizione
03-22-2011, 09:53 AM
author="Minuszka">
" 2) You can call a phone number and get a free printed manual mailed to you. " - not really. Fiat called me and transferred to this Chrysler free manual hotline, where they said that they never heard of Fiat and they don't have anything fiat since they are Chrysler. On top of that a manual for a 2012 model? I called Fiat to report that and they connected me again to the very same people, whom reassured me again that they have nothing to do with Fiat and they absolutely can't help with a printed Fiat manual.

OK, right. And besides that?

Jeff
03-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Just got ours today!

<https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_r9mr4_Xr4ys/TYkvzJILvmI/AAAAAAAAAFY/iixVOe0ubb8/s800/P1080119.jpg

sjmst
03-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Great shot, beautiful! Congrats.

littlejohn
03-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Are you folks saying the car does not ship with a spare tire?

Thad
03-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Correct. No tools or jack either as far as I can tell.

5*(10)^2
03-23-2011, 12:21 PM
I kind of prefer going lightweight without the spare and jack. For longer road trips I would imagine these can be bought and retrofitted?

What really bugs me now is still the height of the seats. I'm going to see if modification is possible.

sjmst
04-02-2011, 06:32 PM
I think the car is fine as is. Maybe just a more durable surface for the dead pedal, as Thad mentioned. Otherwise fine. For PE I would have opted for a stripe along lower body panel instead of up top.

Giallo Edizione
04-02-2011, 08:07 PM
author="sjmst">
I think the car is fine as is. Maybe just a more durable surface for the dead pedal, as Thad mentioned. Otherwise fine. For PE I would have opted for a stripe along lower body panel instead of up top.

I too want a lower body strip, like the EU ABARTH. I have found a couple of vendors in UK that fabricate the ABARTH lower stripe for retail sale. I contacted one to see if they could duplicate that stripe without the ABARTH name, or with FIAT instead ( or PRIMA or whatever) in any standard color as a on-off and they said yes they can. Still waiting response on cost ( maybe they are still laughing...). Anyway, its possible. I have found no off the shelf fitted lower body stripes yet. I agree the Prima would look great replacing the 70's Camaro upper stripe with the lower Abarth type.

sjmst
04-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Check out ebay UK, there are lower body stripes that are plain or just have the "500" logo.

Another factory mod suggested is fabric inserts that don't get stained with water spots.

Welshy
04-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Was at my local Fiat Studio again, last week and they have had so many request to have the seats lowered that their sister company (OC Motorsport) is working on a few solutions at this moment. Not sure where they are with it at the moment but will keep you up to date with anything more i hear.

Mike S
04-04-2011, 11:28 AM
That happened to me too. If you take a clean wet cloth and wipe down the entire seat that could fix it. It fixed mine. I think it may be some kind of protectant they use to keep the seats from getting stained befoer delivery.

Giallo Edizione
04-04-2011, 02:52 PM
author="sjmst">
Check out ebay UK, there are lower body stripes that are plain or just have the "500" logo.

Another factory mod suggested is fabric inserts that don't get stained with water spots.

Found it! Thanks!

Thad
04-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Has anyone tried Scotch Guard on the center section of their seats yet?

sjmst
04-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks, Mike will try that.
Also will probably try Scotchguard.

Fiat500USA
04-04-2011, 05:00 PM
author="Jeff">
Just got ours today!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_r9mr4_Xr4ys/TYkvzJILvmI/AAAAAAAAAFY/iixVOe0ubb8/s800/P1080119.jpg

Congratulations Jeff! Love that shot.

Fiat500USA
04-04-2011, 05:19 PM
author="Alvon Elrod">

Thad, did you experiment with programming the Key fob to open all doors with one click? I followed the instructions, but had no success. (Hold door lock button for more than 4 but less than 10 seconds, then press unlock while holding the lock button, then release both buttons at the same time).

Alvon

Hi Alvon,

I've been bugging them for a shop manual for the last 5 months. Right now, I think it is a web based, for the dealers only.

Check your dealer's Parts Department for the spare.

Alvon Elrod
04-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I had a nice visit with the dealer today. They 'loaned' their shop manual for me to peruse overnight, but commented that they were told that there are a lot of changes that need be made. They also indicated that they have a way to access it on line (but not the general public).

The Parts desk didn't know anything about the spare tire, jack, etc., and said that they would investigate. They didn't have any oil filters in stock yet, either. I did buy a 'fitted' car cover, the one that's about $135. I think it's going to take more time for Fiat to get the ball rolling.

Alvon

Mike S
04-04-2011, 06:10 PM
How is the fitted cover? I didn't know of the less expensive one.

I should start jumping on the parts dept. too for the spare and jack.

Thanks for the info.

Alvon Elrod
04-05-2011, 12:12 AM
I need to clean my car before I check it for fit. It's a little dusty right now.

Alvon

Thad
04-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Does anyone have the Mopar parts numbers for the compact spare kit and jack and tool kits?

sonicsby5
04-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Yes, also interested in how that car cover works out for you Alvon. The $135 is the outdoor version, right?

You can now buy an aftermarket car cover from calcarcover.com for the 2012 FIAT 500, and I'm sure other web venders too since CalCover buy their covers from someone else. Covers are available in different colors for different weather. Would be interested to see if the cover from FIAT is of the same fabric available elsewhere or if it's better/different. Probably the Softweave.

Mike S
04-05-2011, 04:43 PM
I was checking those yesterday. The Fiat cover is less expensive than the cheapest Calcover ($189).

Alvon Elrod
04-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Did get a chance last night, with softball league and the NCAA b-ball final (pitiful match). I'll clean the car tonight, and don the cover. Pictures to follow.

Fiat500USA
04-05-2011, 06:23 PM
author="Alvon Elrod">
I had a nice visit with the dealer today. They 'loaned' their shop manual for me to peruse overnight, but commented that they were told that there are a lot of changes that need be made. They also indicated that they have a way to access it on line (but not the general public).

The Parts desk didn't know anything about the spare tire, jack, etc., and said that they would investigate. They didn't have any oil filters in stock yet, either. I did buy a 'fitted' car cover, the one that's about $135. I think it's going to take more time for Fiat to get the ball rolling.

Alvon

Alvon,

Is there any part number or reference number for the shop manual? I'm really annoyed I don't have this.

Alvon Elrod
04-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Well, now that I have had some time to look at the "Service Manual", I would not call it a Service Manual. It is a 372 page book entitled<i> Fiat 500 Systems - Operation and Diagnosis</i>. 81-699-10057. It doesn't have any description of Maintenance, Maintenance Intervals, Dissasembly or Reassembly of components, or provide iany specs of engine performance, dimensions or tolerances, testing, fasterner torques. It devotes much of its content toward an overview of the basics of the car (without digging into detailed depth), and diagnosing problems using electronic scanning tools. The book serves more as a textbook for a 4-day instructor-led course, that gives the technician a logical way to troubleshoot issue, and assumes that the technician is an experienced auto mechanic. It is not a do-it-yourself, step-by-step service manual. It devotes more 'service manual' detail (35 pages) to something our cars don't have, than to any other feature of the car: the cabrio canvas top and folding mechanism. Here are 2 photos of the introductory pages:

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2783643/IMG_0404.jpg

http://fiat-500-usa-forum-archives.965414.n3.nabble.com/file/n2783643/IMG_0405.jpg

It does provide a great deal of useful informat

Alvon Elrod
04-06-2011, 12:50 AM
The cover came in a cardboard box, and inside the box is a bag for storing the cover (if you can roll it up that small), some generic instructions that could apply to any car, and a medium weight cover that is exactly the shape of our 500's. The material is heavier than the really cheapest covers that I've seen, and lighter than some real heavy duty covers. I like the density of the fabric. It's a tight fit. Tighter than I like. The advantage of being tight is that it is perhaps less likely to get blown off by gusty winds. The disadvantage of being tight is that any dust on the car can potentially scratch the car as you tug the tight cover into place.

It has a nice pocket for the antenna on top and the 2 side mirrors, and has a clear vinyl window to expose the rear license plate frame and center chrome trim of the trunk. The vinyl fits very tight on the trunk chrome trim, so tight that it won't slide -- I hope it won't somewhat melt into the chrome on a hot day. I think I may try to put a soft terry cloth between the cover and the chrome. Here are a series of pictures:

I'll probably put the cover on when in the garage for more than a few days, and possibly if out in the

Mike S
04-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Looks like a nice cover.

sonicsby5
04-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Very thorough review! Ok I'm buying one. Was wondering about the antenna, so that's good it has a pocket.

sjmst
04-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Here's a factory mod request: Extenders for the sun visors. This is for when you turn them to block sun coming through the side window. Yes, they do swivel, but only extend a few inches. I need something that slides out that makes them longer to block the sun beating on my face for half hour during my commute.

Alvon Elrod
04-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Yep. The visors are too small for my liking, also. They could be twice the size they are, and that would be about right.

Alvon

sonicsby5
04-06-2011, 11:24 AM
haven't had the sun visor problem yet, since it's never sunny here until July....

Giallo Edizione
04-06-2011, 11:31 AM
author="sjmst">
Here's a factory mod request: Extenders for the sun visors. This is for when you turn them to block sun coming through the side window. Yes, they do swivel, but only extend a few inches. I need something that slides out that makes them longer to block the sun beating on my face for half hour during my commute.

Tint your windows! Looks good, no cancer.