PDA

View Full Version : Compensation From Fiat?

John Reid
03-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Perhaps the time is right for Fiat to compensate us for the confusion, failure to deliver as promised and frustration they have caused we "passionate" Fiat people who were supposed to be given the shining example of how Fiat operates now as opposed to the reputation they had upon leaving the US market. Any ideas?

Chris
03-16-2011, 03:35 PM
They're not legally bound to do anything (we never had a memorialized contract)--but it would sure be nice if they gave us something (especially those who have been chasing their cars all over the country!) for the mixups.

Maybe some PRIMA logo floor mats? ... oh wait

I'd be happy just getting the car at this point. I've been riding my bike for months now thinking the car was about to arrive any minute!

sjmst
03-16-2011, 03:36 PM
author="John Reid">
Perhaps the time is right for Fiat to compensate us for the confusion, failure to deliver as promised and frustration they have caused we "passionate" Fiat people who were supposed to be given the shining example of how Fiat operates now as opposed to the reputation they had upon leaving the US market. Any ideas?

How would one frame:

1) The damages. What has been the economic damages, as a result of
2) Promises that Fiat did not keep.

This being a contractual issue, aggravation is not enough. One must show that they suffered some economic damages as a result of some defined loss.

Tuschay425
03-16-2011, 03:40 PM
I think we've been getting somewhere with these phone calls and postings. I mean, FIAT actually called me back yesterday like they said they would. The woman on the phone gave me no sustainable information but, she did call back and, in my eyes, that's a breakthrough.

If we keep letting them know that we are disturbed and confused, they'll do something about it. I have to believe that.

Chris
03-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I'd really rather not try to bring a suit for promissory estoppel against FIAT/Chrysler, but that's just me. My only detriment is that I'm in better shape now. <smiley image='smiley_angry.gif'/>

sjmst
03-16-2011, 03:41 PM
author="cinquecento">
Yeah, I'd really rather not try to bring a suit for promissory estoppel against FIAT/Chrysler, but that's just me. My only detriment is that I'm in better shape now. <smiley image='smiley_angry.gif'/>

Well, then case closed! <smiley image='smiley_wink.gif'/>

Giallo Edizione
03-16-2011, 03:41 PM
They gave one guy a free fire extingusher.....

sjmst
03-16-2011, 03:42 PM
author="Finale Edizione">

Bad sign...

MrJones
03-16-2011, 03:45 PM
author="sjmst">

author="Finale Edizione">

Bad sign...

+1

5*(10)^2
03-16-2011, 03:45 PM
john, I hear you.

I am writing a letter to Laura Soave. Snail mail it. I intend to send one mail every week. I can afford weeks of 44cents until she receives the message.

Chrysler Group LLC
Attn: Laura Soave, Head of FIAT USA
1000 Chrysler Drive
Dept. 4850049
Auburn Hills, MI 48326

Yesterday I was thinking at some pt, someone will bring a class action suit. However, if you read the November 17 2010 digital pamphlet (where it lists a bunch of PE features), there is a fine print that says..."Chrysler Group LLC reserves the right to change, modify or cancel this program at any time without prior notice...".

They did change the delivery dates of the PE.

They did modify the floor mats to 500 logos.

If you call 1888-ciao fiat now, the reps are trained to say "special edition" instead of "first edition".

MrJones
03-16-2011, 03:48 PM
I think a suit would be pretty petty.
The Internet age has spoiled us with instant gratification.

sjmst
03-16-2011, 03:49 PM
<quote author="MrJones">
I think a suit would be pretty petty.
The Internet age has spoiled us with instant gratification.
</quote>
I think it would also be futile.
Little or no damages and no real breach.

fredfrey
03-16-2011, 04:01 PM
I don't agree with any suit but I do think we all should call FIAT on a daily basis. They are the only contact we have been given (aside form the dealers who are waiting for FIAT too). They are very nice, so I'm not going to be nasty to them, I just plan to call every morning until I get a real reply as to when my car will be delivered. It's not supposed to be a difficult question.

kmarei
03-16-2011, 04:07 PM
i'm a little pissed off that i can go to my dealer, which is open, with a license to sell already.
buy a fiat 500 sport off his lot, in rosso
BUT
i can't get my rosso "prima"
in the meantime my rosso was built in february, and now seems to be on tour of the US
Fiat has no clue where it is, when i called today, she said everything i said today was news to them
and that i knew more about the car than they did.

prima in italian means FIRST!!
not at some point when we get our heads out of our #$%%

so this is how they treat the Fiat fans
i'd shudder to think how they will treat their new customers!

signed
one very disgruntled "best effort" edition owner #140

John Reid
03-16-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm not suggesting any kind of legal action. I just think Fiat could do something to show good faith and an understanding of what we have been going through. Perhaps some warranty extension, added Fiat gear of some sort,whatever anyone else can think of in those terms.

Chris
03-16-2011, 04:17 PM
I'd take one of those sweet retro car covers <smiley image='smiley_happy.gif'/>

sjmst
03-16-2011, 04:17 PM
<quote author="John Reid">
I'm not suggesting any kind of legal action. I just think Fiat could do something to show good faith and an understanding of what we have been going through. Perhaps some warranty extension, added Fiat gear of some sort,whatever anyone else can think of in those terms.
</quote>

Agreed, it would be a nice gesture.

5*(10)^2
03-16-2011, 04:20 PM
I am recalling a recent ordeal between Tmo/Samsung and the Tmo customers.

These customers bought the Galaxy S (Vibrant) and was promised a Froyo OS upgrade. The phones were released July 2010.

Months went by. Empty promises.

Jan 14, 2011, a class suit was filed. The claim IIRC, was that Samsung or Tmo intentionally withheld the upgrade so that customers would buy the new Vibrant 4G with Froyo pre-installed.

1 week later, Tmo released the Froyo updates.

Scorpion
03-16-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm not an attorney, but I agree that there really isn't any legal leverage.

Even if there is, if you look at the Prima FAQ, it clearly states:

Q: When will my Fiat 500 Prima Edizione be available for pick-up?
A: The delivery is expected to be made no later than April 30, 2011.

And, even then, "expected" provides the wiggle room.

Reference: https://www.ciaofiat500.com/FAQ.aspx

John Reid
03-16-2011, 04:47 PM
They also did state that we could make changes prior to delivery.

unclelaverne
03-16-2011, 09:49 PM
I tried that (throw in the retro cover) for them smacking my car into a wall. No luck. I got a tote bag, pen and mug. lol

kmarei
03-16-2011, 09:59 PM
That cover costs about $700!

http://www.fiat.co.uk/showroom/?id=9665

Minuszka
03-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Actually it's $ 849.- in the official Fiat-mopar pricelist. And it's for indoor use only...

MrJones
03-16-2011, 11:38 PM
author="Minuszka">
Actually it's $ 849.- in the official Fiat-mopar pricelist. And it's for indoor use only...

That makes sense. Because that's where my car needs the most protection from the elements.

BILL
03-17-2011, 01:23 PM
I want moneys off!!

MrJones
03-17-2011, 01:43 PM
author="BILL">
I want moneys off!!

No chance.
Lose the sense of entitlement--they owe you no recompense.
If you don't like the way you're being treated (and I don't blame you), go buy a Mini.

BILL
03-17-2011, 02:12 PM
no sense of entitlement! but very unhappy about being made promise after promise with follow tru.And being told 14-17 days from a phone call and here it is 24 days later!!! with no time frame or clue!for delivery
A LITTLE COMMUNICATION WOULD GO ALONG WAY!!

MrJones
03-17-2011, 02:30 PM
I understand your disappointment, Bill.
By the way, I responded to your earlier post about the Milwaukee dealer (you wrote, "Our local here in milwaukee is selling cars to any joe off the street!! ")
Did you see my response? If you are supposed to be getting your car from Bergstrom, they said they have them in now. You should give them a call.
See, I'm trying to help with the communication.

Gavin
03-17-2011, 02:49 PM
mmmm, PaulL either has the day off...of Fiat found out and asked him to stop...

Hope it is the first and not the latter....and if the latter, I hope we did not get PaulL in any trouble.

We appreciated all you did PaulL :)

Gavin

PaulL
03-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Sorry guys, i've just been really busy and haven't had a chance to respond. The good news is that all three of these cars show a plant release date!

#477 plant release 3/15 destination dealer Doan Dodge
#15 plant release 3/10 destination dealer Kelly J/c/p
#137 plant release 3/11 destination dealer Nyle Maxwell C/d/j of Austin

The current location hasn't been updated on these cars for a while so I didn't bother lsiting it.

Gavin, it's still showing your car is soaking up the Santa Rossa sun, but it shows last update 2/28 so Im hoping it's wrong since it shows a release date of 3/11.

Mike S
03-17-2011, 06:08 PM
People like Paul keep me going.

I'm sad or even depressed after waiting all these years for the return of Fiat. I've just been disappointed too much. I'm sure it's a wonderful car but Fiats return is embarrassing. I had already pre-sold the 500 to friends and neighbors but now they think I'm crazy for going through the hassle for a car. I guess they have been unsold.

There was hope the last six months but now I give up.

Gavin
03-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks PaulL

#137 plant release 3/11 destination dealer Nyle Maxwell C/d/j of Austin

this one is mine...The "step up" person in Michigan looked up my 500...told me that finally it does have a destination of Austin, but that it right now is somewhere in Tennessee...so it obviously did decide to go to Memphis before having to backtrack to Texas (was in New Mexico...train took it 1000 miles and 4 states over to Tenn...now going to head back toward New Mexico and then down to Austin...a "well traveled" car already it seems :) ...I kinda wish it would backtrack all the way to Albuquerque...but that seems unlikely...

Gavin

5*(10)^2
03-17-2011, 06:25 PM
+ 1 to Paul.

Also to Chris V for setting up the blog and this forum.

This is by far the most vibrant and helpful forum. I have been to the rest and most of them are like ghost towns!<smiley image='smiley_grin.gif'/>

Mike S
03-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Something is happening. I just got an email from my local dealer.

"Great News, The Arrigo Family have been working hard to get as much information to our Prima customers as quickly and expeditiously as possible. We have just been informed by the shipping agent that our first shipment of Prima's will be delivered to the dealership sometime in the next three days. After a stringent pre-delivery inspection we anticipate your being able to begin to schedule the time for you to take possesion of Prima #289."

I'm sure they know that I switched delivering dealers to the dealer in Sarasota, FL. It is my understanding that just about everybody that was taking delivery there switched to another dealer because of the $600 doc fee.

If the fee went away, I will take delivery locally. If not, it's a short vacation in Sarasota (3 hours away). As I said before, it's not about the money. I will deduct expenses from the $600 savings and donate to a charity.

As a long time Chicago Cubs fan, maybe next year has a meaning. All I can say is maybe next week.

Fiat #183
03-17-2011, 07:48 PM
I did get a call from CIAO FIAT today to tell me that my car was ready at the dealer.

Of Course with the considerable help of #241 I had picked it up yesterday but at least they are trying.

Giallo Edizione
03-17-2011, 08:06 PM
My dealer notified me today that my Rosso PE has actually been at dealer for a few days and the paperwork arrived today. I'm not likely to take it because of roof though. He said that a customer,who is on the fence, with a non-roof Rosso is coming in Saturday and will make his decison then. Meantime they got a very nice dark Olive Sport with Moronne interior and no roof with convenience and safety packages ( $600 options, basically same config as PE for $900 less) which may be worth taking a very close look at. They have a few other colors come in as well to look at. I've been thinking this Olive could look good and they are saying it looks great. I'll hopefully be able to play hookie from work tomorrow afternoon and run up there for a look.

Day of reckoning seems to have arrived. Luckier than many as I have choices I can make, or wait if I don't like the choices.

Still, they botched the specialness of PE in a big way.

Mike S
03-17-2011, 08:19 PM
I feel your gain.

CIAO RR
03-17-2011, 08:28 PM
IT's official...I'm really frustrated! Called FIAT yesterday AND today to find the status of my #239 Grigio. They said that they would call the dealer and call me back. NEVER HAPPENED. Dealer NEVER called. So what am i to think? Are they showing my car around? It's been at the Philly rail yeard for at LEAST two weeks. Where the hell is it!?!?!?!?

Ciao.

Gavin
03-18-2011, 01:34 PM
PaulL...thanks so much...

supposedly my 137 is still in Santa Rosa, New Mexico, but heading toward ALBUQUERQUE instead of away to Austin...Yeah...

is that what the computer shows??

If so, I might get my car by Monday...later would be ok too...just being in town would be hella cool...

thanks

Gavin

PaulL
03-18-2011, 01:57 PM
The computer doesn't seem to be updated, it shows an ETA of 3/29 to Nyle Maxwell C/d/j of Austin

Gavin
03-18-2011, 03:00 PM
author="PaulL">
The computer doesn't seem to be updated, it shows an ETA of 3/29 to Nyle Maxwell C/d/j of Austin

Well, honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it still goes to Austin...but the hopeful side of me is rooting for Fiat getting the car to Albuquerque. :)

Thanks

Gavin

fredfrey
03-18-2011, 03:29 PM
I've had zero luck with FIATs 888 number. They are completely useless to me: They have no idea where the PE is, No idea of any delivery date, unable to EVER connect me to a manager as he or she "is in a meeting", my daily promised call back from the manager never happens. I inform them my PE has been in New Jersey for 3 weeks while it should be sent to Florida elicits no action. My dealer has their licence, they have no information and tell me to call FIAT. This is crazy and very frustrating.

PaulL
03-18-2011, 05:28 PM
I would suggest to contact your dealer and have them get in touch with their FIAT rep. They should be able to get you some more info and get the ball rolling so you can get your car. If the car is in transit then their hands are tied but if there are some other issues like dealer lic, window stickers, etc. maybe they can do something.

CIAO RR
03-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Well well well,,,I finally received a call from my dealership. We had a nice enough chat, but bottom line, it looks like at least another week. We both agree that it is sitting at the railyward in Philly. (less than 10 miles from the dealership). He doesn't really understand the holdup, but he did say that many people in the east are having the same issue. Anyone finding this to be true??? Oh well. Patience is a virtue...

Jeff
03-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Ours is being delivered Monday from Reedman-Toll.

Fiat500USA
03-19-2011, 01:03 AM
author="5*(10)^2">
+ 1 to Paul.

Also to Chris V for setting up the blog and this forum.

This is by far the most vibrant and helpful forum. I have been to the rest and most of them are like ghost towns!<smiley image='smiley_grin.gif'/>

My thanks to you and everyone else who stops by and contributes! <smiley image='anim_handshake.gif'/>

RonBatt
03-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Paul thanks. Seems Kelly J/C/D is listed as being in Pittsburg, Lynnfield MA and other locations. I'm in Buffalo and was advised my car would be delivered through Doan Dodge Chrysler Jeep of Rochester. Problem is they will not have a NYS Dealer license for Fiat so they cannot deliver these cars for at least 2 more weeks even if they get them tomorrow. It would be nice to know it made it's way safely to my dealer or any dealer. This whole delivery process has sure take the fun out of the new care delivery anticipation. I will need to continue to be happy driving my 1971 Fiat 124 Spider which i've had since new! Problem is it's in winter storage until Late May