PDA

View Full Version : Spring rates, Camber, and Corvette shocks inquiry

Ducman69
12-23-2018, 09:59 AM
I have a rear-seat and muffler delete on my 500T, which has raised the rear slightly.

I'm at 65K miles, and considering replacing the shocks with 4th gen Corvette KYBs, I assume part # SU-804 are the right ones?

At the same time, I was considering getting just the rear springs from the Eibach pro kit, which I read are 1.2" drop (from a 500 or Abarth?) and 126-286 lbs progressive.

My questions:

1) Is that still high enough to keep me off the bump stops, as I still want maximum comfort on our bad roads here?

2) How much does that affect the camber?

3)What are the spring rates of the stock 500T, I can't find it anywhere?

Fiat500USA
12-23-2018, 01:44 PM
I have a rear-seat and muffler delete on my 500T, which has raised the rear slightly.

I'm at 65K miles, and considering replacing the shocks with 4th gen Corvette KYBs, I assume part # SU-804 are the right ones?

At the same time, I was considering getting just the rear springs from the Eibach pro kit, which I read are 1.2" drop (from a 500 or Abarth?) and 126-286 lbs progressive.

My questions:

1) Is that still high enough to keep me off the bump stops, as I still want maximum comfort on our bad roads here?

2) How much does that affect the camber?

3)What are the spring rates of the stock 500T, I can't find it anywhere?

I find the comfort similar to the stock springs. Obviously the lower you go the less jounce suspension travel is available, so I find the Pro-kit a good compromise between drop and ride.

Lowering the rear suspension doesn't affect the camber.

The stock spring rates are the same as a 500 Sport. I'm at work right now and can't do a search, but the rates should be here on the forum.

Image from a previous thread:

I also have a Prokit. They did settle a little. Very happy with them.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-CAxUv615Ja4/VezMJUHw8tI/AAAAAAAAm4U/mfW7NfTQxFg/s640-Ic42/Fiat500USA.com_Abarth_500X.jpg

Ducman69
12-23-2018, 07:52 PM
Lowering the rear suspension doesn't affect the camber.
Oh yeah, DUH! Its a twist beam rear axle... *facepalm* Thanks!

I know the Sport and Turbo are the same suspension, but I couldn't find it in a search. I tried again, and found unreliable spring rates for others posted, like one guy is saying he measured Eibach Sportlines at 285lbs and a vendor says they are 205lbs, a huge difference and both can't be right. That vendor also lists "stock" (doesn't say if Abarth, Sport, or Base) of 195/220lbs.

I did find this for others searching: The Abarth is supposedly using 20 percent stiffer rear springs with 0.6-inch (15 mm) lower ride than the 500T/Sport.

I actually need about 1.1" reduced ride height in the rear to be "flat", so the Eibach Pro seems to be the closest on the money.