PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate posts + copy and pasting

Fiat500USA
11-20-2018, 12:44 AM
Just a quick note on forum / website mechanics. We are seeing a lot of duplicate posts in this forum. That is a forum faux pas, as it drives people crazy flooding the forum with the identical posts and make it hard to find which thread the post was in, plus it screws with Google amongst other things, so please refrain from duplicate posts. If the same information needs to be in multiple threads, rewrite it or put a link to the original post.

Also, copy and pasting from another website into a post will also add unnecessary hidden code that can slow the website down for everyone. If you need to copy and paste, do the text separate from the image. Use the button above on the left side that says "Post as Plain Text" That cuts down the unnecessary code, which also wrecks the forum's feed. Post the image like normal:http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?10395-How-to-post-pics-videos-on-the-forum

Keep in mind, copy and pasting an image from another site steals that person's/website's bandwidth (which they pay for) and that is also an internet faux pas. Upload the image here.

Thanks and carry on!

Ando
11-20-2018, 11:20 AM
I'm confused, is this problem only happening in Eastern Canada? XD

A good reminder for sure. Is there a way we can group similar posts? (e.g. in the "Abarth" -> "Wheels and Tires" sub forum there would be groups for "All Season", "Performance Daily", "Track and AutoX" discussions.)

Just brainstorming, I have no idea how things work behind the scenes. I'm a big fan of forums because they allow people to get personalized suggestions, but this behaviour tends to lead to many very similar threads.

Fiat500USA
11-20-2018, 11:52 AM
I'm confused, is this problem only happening in Eastern Canada? XD

A good reminder for sure. Is there a way we can group similar posts? (e.g. in the "Abarth" -> "Wheels and Tires" sub forum there would be groups for "All Season", "Performance Daily", "Track and AutoX" discussions.)

Just brainstorming, I have no idea how things work behind the scenes. I'm a big fan of forums because they allow people to get personalized suggestions, but this behaviour tends to lead to many very similar threads.

It was just something I noticed lately in this particular forum, but it is good information for everyone on the mechanics of a forum. I saw something messed up on my feed, and the copy and pasting has been known to screw that up. The copied and pasted posts will be bloated with hidden code and that messes things up. It also causes the "dark theme readability" problem and other funky behavior when reading a post.

The ideas are great and I welcome them. We have a "similar post" feature, but I don't see any other way to group those particular topics in there. What can be done is to tag a thread with "All Season", "Performance Daily", "Track and AutoX" and then the tags can categorize the topic and list each thread. Anyone can tag a thread and I have been doing them to help people when they need to search a topic. I am also working on a WIKI that will list the major threads for each topic as we have the most technical information second to none in this country at least. It is a little slow going as I am pretty much a one man band. LOL

Ando
11-20-2018, 12:24 PM
It is a little slow going as I am pretty much a one man band. LOL

With a 50hr/wk day job no less. 0.o

Agreed, tags are very useful but can be difficult to remember to add to a new thread. Can they be added after the fact? This would be especially useful when topics morph but remain helpful.

Another thought on this topic is the underutilized "thread rating" feature. It would be cool if unrated threads didn't show up in google searches and I think you can already set a rating threshold on advanced searches. That way the 80+ "what oil does the abarth take?" threads don't even show up in a google search but your "Abarth Oil Change DIY" blog post does show up.

One more thought and I promise I'm done.... It would be soooo cool if you could tag a new post as "off topic" and as a result it would show up in a collapsed format with an option to "show full OT post". I'm especially guilty of adding slightly relevant comments to posts and I know it annoys some users. This would help people looking for quick answers by cutting out side chatter that is relevant but not directly useful to the original topic. Again, I don't think this is something that exists, it just seems like it might be nice.

Ok... done solving the internet's problems... for now.

Fiat500USA
11-27-2018, 01:24 AM
With a 50hr/wk day job no less. 0.o

Agreed, tags are very useful but can be difficult to remember to add to a new thread. Can they be added after the fact? This would be especially useful when topics morph but remain helpful.

Haha! I don't get a lot of sleep ( good excuse for some of my spelling issues!) LOL

Yes, anyone can add a tag, at any time. I go through many threads and add a tag so they can be grouped under a particular subject. I do this many times when I am researching a question someone has asked and when I find a useful thread, I tag it. I encourage folks to do that if they come across a particularly helpful thread.

Another thought on this topic is the underutilized "thread rating" feature. It would be cool if unrated threads didn't show up in google searches and I think you can already set a rating threshold on advanced searches. That way the 80+ "what oil does the abarth take?" threads don't even show up in a google search but your "Abarth Oil Change DIY" blog post does show up. That is interesting. I don't think many people rate threads, though. I do occasionally. The advanced search allows you to sort by replies, but not ratings as far as I see. I think tagging is the way to highlight a useful thread with the software limitations we have to deal with.

One more thought and I promise I'm done.... It would be soooo cool if you could tag a new post as "off topic" and as a result it would show up in a collapsed format with an option to "show full OT post". I'm especially guilty of adding slightly relevant comments to posts and I know it annoys some users. This would help people looking for quick answers by cutting out side chatter that is relevant but not directly useful to the original topic. Again, I don't think this is something that exists, it just seems like it might be nice.

Ok... done solving the internet's problems... for now. Off topic. Yeah, good idea. I am guilty of that too, but I think most of the threads stay on topic for the most part. I don't really remember a technical thread that got totally sidetracked. We have a lot of interesting people here, so I am always willing to hear whatever they have to say.

Thanks for taking the time to come up with these ideas. Much appreciated!