PDA

View Full Version : My Build

Ron
10-12-2018, 03:21 PM
Started a build, and thought I'd share.

First, thanks to everyone here. I've been trolling all kinds of posts and the information has been invaluable.

It's an early 2012 with the suitcase exhaust, and I started with the chassis:

Eibach Pro-Kit springs
Front and rear Koni yellows
EC rear bump stops
CFP strut top mounts
CFP vertical chassis braces
Neu-F rear torsion bar
Zimmerman drilled rotors

Robert Nixon
10-12-2018, 08:49 PM
Good stuff!

gverelli
10-12-2018, 10:00 PM
Looking good, and you did all the right tastful mods :) :) Im sure it already feels worlds of a difference :D

Ron
10-19-2018, 07:30 PM
After about a week's driving on the new chassis parts, I re-torqued everything and had an alignment done. All good.

Not much new:

CPR subframe brace
Bosch 4C coils

I've been playing with the rebound settings on the shocks and struts. I'm set at 1/2 turn on the struts and a full turn on the shocks. For street work, I like it. It's not harsh, but also no secondary bouncing after bumps; and the back end is following me around nicely. If there's any understeer left, it's just the right amount for me. I ran in my first autocross set that way to see how I liked it when running harder, but I'm afraid I had too many other new things to pay attention to; so evaluation of the shocks/struts was shortchanged. There's always next month.

I'm currently waiting on parts to arrive, which is giving me an opportunity to actually drive it around more.

streetsurfer
10-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Hi Ron,
Welcome, and thanks for sharing. Looks like a real clean ‘12.
I’ve subscribed with notification, to see what your future changes are. So many choices out there.

Ron
10-22-2018, 05:37 PM
So many choices out there.

Word. The first hurdle was which springs to make it sit like I wanted, but the real challenge is going to be deciding what goes on the outside. The only thing that seems certain is the hood; I put my hand on the air intake after running a few rounds at the autocross, and I see a hood extractor in my future.

Ron
10-27-2018, 05:02 PM
The red shift knob was the only mod on the car when I got it, and it is now gone. I put the original knob on top of a Bonalume short shifter. I like the stock interior (black leather), so I'm using the original shift knob, and the back seat will be staying.

Also installed an EC Pedal Pro and a GVB DV+.

Ron
11-09-2018, 04:29 PM
Received the EC V4.1 intake, and it was installed during a break in the weather.

Still waiting on the FMIC, and since I'm working in my driveway I expect progress to be pretty slow for a while.

problem_417
11-09-2018, 07:33 PM
looks good! going for E+D phase 2?

Ron
11-09-2018, 09:41 PM
looks good! going for E+D phase 2?

My intent is to be able to run phase 2, but I will likely go with less. The stock car is faster than I want to go, which leaves me with no good explanation as to why I'm doing any of this other than just having some fun.

alex500a
11-10-2018, 06:50 PM
Looking good, as someone who said the same thing, I won't be surprised if you eventually want to run ALL OF IT.

I'm at E+D phase 1, it is smooth and the power is not too crazy. Will likely do phase 2 at some point if I keep the car long enough.

Ron
11-11-2018, 12:16 PM
I won't be surprised if you eventually want to run ALL OF IT.

I'm fairly long in the tooth, so I doubt it; but I do plan on having the option, in case I surprise myself. I've already surprised myself by: one, buying this car. And two, modifying it. I've never modded a car, and it's been decades since I turned a wrench on one.

I have no idea why I'm doing this, I'm even past the age where I could blame it on a mid-life crisis. I guess even even us old guys need some fun.

alex500a
11-11-2018, 08:36 PM
This car has a way of bringing that out I guess. I'm not old, but not young either (it is all relative anyways) and this car is addictive. I get bored of my cars quickly and this has been the longest I've owned a car. Still surprised by all the looks it gets even though these are fairly common. Just went to the grocery store and this kid, probably 5 years old, was walking with his mom across the parking lot as I drove past and his head was glued to the fiat and I heard him say "woooooow" as I slowly drove past. Fun car and still gets some looks.

Ron
03-14-2019, 08:40 PM
The weather has improved, so I'm back after it. Finally got that EC FMIC to sit right last night (about 3 evenings worth of fun), and now I'm having more fun trying to get the fascia back on.

The new wheels came in a while back (Evo Corsa San Remo), and the new tires today; so I'm on the verge of having a set of everyday wheels and a set of dress wheels.

Ron
03-23-2019, 04:23 PM
Abandoned the EC intercooler as unworkable. I had to shim the crash bar out to get the intercooler core clear of the condenser, and it was so far out when I finally cleared that I was stretching the bejesus out of the fascia at the corner bolts (the ones in the fender). Despite all the adjusting, shimming, grinding, filing, etc I just couldn't make it work.

Went with the intercooler from NGEN. The basis for that was:
1. I don't drive hard enough for long enough to justify an ATM (not to mention they appear to have been out of stock for the last 6 months).
2. My primary goal was just to clean up the plumbing.
3. Weight.

The intercooler is installed, and while I was in there I put on the blue Mishimoto radiator hoses.

(bonus picture with the fascia back on and the new wheels)

Ruckus
04-08-2019, 01:53 AM
Congrats w/ the NGEN FMIC install......we all need a new bumper design to expose all that massive air cooling area of the FMIC..

How'd you like those San Remo..... are they really much lighter than stock 17's?

Ron
04-09-2019, 08:10 PM
...we all need a new bumper design to expose all that massive air cooling area of the FMIC..
I had a thought to spray paint a red scorpion on it; I used the scorpion on the OEM filter/engine cover as a pattern for a stencil (the size is about right), but didn't pull the trigger.

How'd you like those San Remo..... are they really much lighter than stock 17's?
I'm not hardcore enough to worry about weighing wheels, they seem to be a little easier to heft into position, though. I got them for looks; my stock wheels have suffered some curb rash from a previous owner, and the lug bolts are rusty, so I needed some help. I mounted them with black splined tuner bolts, used the center caps plain black, and I like the look. They're a +30 offset and that extra 1/4" looks good, too; it has me considering some 5mm spacers.

Ron
05-26-2019, 02:45 PM
Had a boost problem a while back, turned out to be the OEM solenoid for the dump valve. Replaced the GFB DV+ with a Forge recirculating valve.

Since then, I've added an upper chassis brace, and I swapped the OEM WGA for one from Turbosmart (mostly because the stock WGA looked bad). And I've been doing neo-chrome fender washers under the hood for appearance, I've got some burnt Ti cap screws coming for places where the fender washers aren't appropriate.

I've been looking for a hood louver that I wanted, and I've got a custom coming from Race Louvers. After it gets here, the car goes to the body shop to get the side skirts on properly and the louver installed. My nerves aren't up to body work, so it goes to a professional.

sportfan
05-30-2019, 09:00 PM
Ron, you are only as old as you feel like you are. I've got a 2013 Sport with about $9k in mods and I'm not done yet. When I go Twisted Sisters (third time this year ), I drive it like I stole it. I've done the Dragon once but, prefer the Sisters. I do all the work on the car myself ( except EC dynoed it ) and built many of my own parts. I'm 65 except when I tighten that 5 point harness and head out in the Texas foothills ,then I'm 18 again. The car is a time machine.

Ron
06-28-2019, 03:58 PM
Finally got a hood louver installed. Since I've got the EC 4.1 intake I can't run a water tray on the driver side, so I only installed the passenger side. The louver is a custom from Race Louvers. I'm using half of an ACS water tray.

I didn't have the nerve to cut the hood, I let a body shop do that; and while it was there I had them re-attach the side skirts. They weren't separating badly, but they weren't right.

Installed a CF splitter extension (Feroce) and a CF diffuser (also Feroce).

Added a front upper chassis brace from Speedmotive, and I've putting on some decorative bolts under the hood. Neo-chrome billet washers and true burned titanium bolts (Z-Spec designs and Dress Up Bolts, respectively).

I've got a machine shop working on some tow hook mounts, and some parts to build a rear upper brace that uses the lower rear seat mount points. I want to keep the back seat, and I just couldn't find a lower brace. Then if I can find an Abarth windshield banner that I like, I'll get to finish up my list of stuff I wanted to do.