PDA

View Full Version : Int. Led lights=CEL

Cincty
10-07-2018, 01:53 PM
I wanted brighter int. Lights, so I had led put in, drove all day, then at night, my Check engine light came on!
Hooked up obd2 and no codes!
Switched back to oem lights and CEL went off!
Any suggestions?

Tweak
10-07-2018, 08:34 PM
I do recall reports of CEL issues with LED swaps, seems to be a little hit and miss if I recall as to which work without issue. The other common "issue" mentioned is the lights staying dimly lit due to the resistance difference between the LED and normal bulb.

Maybe it is just that you got one of the LEDs that creates this issue, also may be better to wait and see what other suggestions come about though in case someone has dealt with this more than just what I have read of from others.

I've run LEDs for years without issues but mine came from a vendor so they were proven problem free in this regard.

Mama's Leadfoot
10-09-2018, 10:09 PM
New to forum, adapting to 2017 500L Trekking from 2003 Passat Turbo - what lights do you want brighter? I'm having to wear glare blockers at night.

Cincty
10-12-2018, 10:41 PM
All of the interior lights on a 2014... The 2 front passenger lights, the middle back seat dome light and the trunk lights...

And yes, in addition to the CEL coming on, the lights stayed on very dim when they were supposed to be off...

Cincty
10-12-2018, 11:04 PM
OH! And just fyi... The 2 types of bulbs that the car manual online says are the replacement ones... Aren't correct!

bryanintowson
10-13-2018, 09:07 AM
I ran LEDs (high quality from a reputable supplier) in my 2012 500 and it caused lots of problems. Ghosting (staying dimly lit all the time) and eventually a shorted out BCM. The CANBUS style system that our cars use is a finely balanced voltage and does not tolerate variances.