PDA

View Full Version : Article: Re: Service experience

Alvon Elrod
06-10-2011, 12:10 PM
You can view the page at http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/content.php?165-Re-Service-experience

housedj
07-03-2011, 09:22 PM
nice work showing the details!

TonyK.
07-31-2011, 09:20 PM
I changed the oil in my son's car at 6000KM about 4000 miles. ( Live in Canada )

As oil changes go I don't see why Fiat could not have put an access door for the drain plug in the skid pan. Also there is a cross member where the oil drains which causes it to splash everywhere. My Dodge truck has a chute to control where the oil goes. I think I will build one out of metal for the next oil change and clip it on the cross member before I remove the drain plug. Oil filter, Requires a 1 1/16" socket with a universal joint and a 10" extension to turn the canister. You must also remove it through the Air Conditioner hose to the left of the car and not directly straight up.

Cartrige Filters, WHY? Once out of warrentee I would like to get a remote spin on oil filter and stop this nonsense of removing the air box for access. I paid $14 plus 13% sales tax for the filter from the dealer. The counter rep. looked at the price twice, he too couldn't belive the cost of the filter. Also I have not been able to find access to the service manual for this car, if anyone has a link please let me know.

The car is great, just the service end is a lacking for information.

TonyK.

fiatfixer
08-14-2011, 08:07 AM
The sad thing about the oil filter is access. But even worse id the lack of instruction avialible. If you notice the pictue the oil filter is sided, un like the BMW's or Mercedes. One would worry weather it can be installed backwards and what the result would be.

Fiatfixer

Noz
09-13-2011, 04:00 PM
They want you to take the car to the dealer...it's as simple as that.

Fiat500USA
09-14-2011, 01:03 AM
For anyone thinking about it, changing the oil in this car is not really difficult. You do have to take the air-box off, but it really easy to do and honestly, if that is intimidating than you are better off just bringing your car to the dealer and not touch the mechanicals on the car. Nothing wrong with that, everyone has their own comfort level.

New cars are sophisticated pieces of machinery and require a level of competency and confidence in your mechanical ability. The days of lawn mower simple engineering are gone. After changing the oil in my 500, I would say anyone who is conscientious and normally doesn't have leftover parts when they get done working on something should have no problem.

Abarthlyness
09-14-2011, 11:12 AM
For anyone thinking about it, changing the oil in this car is not really difficult. You do have to take the air-box off, but it really easy to do and honestly, if that is intimidating than you are better off just bringing your car to the dealer and not touch the mechanicals on the car. Nothing wrong with that, everyone has their own comfort level.

New cars are sophisticated pieces of machinery and require a level of competency and confidence in your mechanical ability. The days of lawn mower simple engineering are gone. After changing the oil in my 500, I would say anyone who is conscientious and normally doesn't have leftover parts when they get done working on something should have no problem.

A great post!

I have done everything to my SRT-4 myself ever since buying the car in '06.

I for one am excited to change my own oil in a 500 for the first time :)

59Imperial
10-19-2011, 11:29 AM
At least it looks like you can't strip the threads. I got rid of a smart car to purchase my 500c. The smart had an aluminum oil pan with a steel screw. The dealer stripped the oil pan twice (about $350 each time). I changed my oil in between so they said I did it one time (which I didn't). So it appears that will not be a problem with the Fiat setup. I do admit the oil filter was REAL easy to get to on the smart car (reach up under the rear bumper).
I like the 500c much better

Fazzster
02-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Just get an oil extractor and you never have to get under the car. Don't listen to the critics who say "you never get all the oil out". 5 qts going into my VW CC and 5 qts come out (minus the small amount still in the filter).

FiatGusto
02-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Just get an oil extractor and you never have to get under the car. Don't listen to the critics who say "you never get all the oil out". 5 qts going into my VW CC and 5 qts come out (minus the small amount still in the filter).

Just curious. Do you change the filter each time you extract the oil? If so,don't you still have to get under the car
to do that?
Thanks

Bladecutter
02-03-2012, 03:41 PM
And how do you know that what works for your VW CC will work exactly the same way for the Fiat 500?

BC.

SeaDawg
02-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Just curious. Do you change the filter each time you extract the oil? If so,don't you still have to get under the car
to do that?
Thanks

If you're asking about the VW, never mind, BUT if you're talking about the 500, the filter comes out the top of the engine compartment. It's on the front of the engine on the pax side. Requires removal of the 'airbox' for easy access. It's not one of the one piece canisters.

msjulie33
02-04-2012, 01:59 PM
And how do you know that what works for your VW CC will work exactly the same way for the Fiat 500?

BC.

I've used one of those oil extractor things on my TDI VW and my MINI Cooper - worked really well, a little slower than bottom drain. Both cars have top-accessible oil filters and after years (decades) of crawling under a car, it's a great way to do the oil change.

I say based on how much came out vs what had to be added to top off that 99% of the oil (or better) was removed with the extractor - and a little patience.

YMMV

SeaDawg
02-04-2012, 06:27 PM

BC.

He may not, however, the Moderator, Chris V., uses an oil extractor to remove the oil from his P.E. and recommends their use for that purpose

Prima 109
02-05-2012, 03:33 PM

LOL. Leftover parts would be bad news.:grief:

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
02-28-2012, 09:56 PM
does anyone know if 2012 abarth has this cartridge type oil filter if so, is there an adaptor? I had a ford filter on my 327 small block chevy via an adaptor

Terry
02-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Ha! "Left over parts on the floor". I remember changing the oil on my old GTV-6 in a hurry, didn't notice that the gasket didn't come off with the old filter and when I cranked it up to check for leaks, ended up with 6 quarts of Castrol Syntec (or maybe it was AGIP in those days.,) all over the garage floor!!!!...(Glad FIAT does my oil changes these days!)
Terry

63vette
03-11-2012, 09:26 AM
I did some poking around online and found the following concerning the oil filter.

I looked on Amazon and found 2 sellers with them. Mopar Headquarters is the seller at this link for $6.15: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sr=1-4&seller=
The Mopar/Fiat part number is: 68102241AA.

I did a cross reference and came up with:
Purolator L16162 They have them in their system but my price (I have an automotive repair business) is $20.91! Interestingly, they don't show the filter in their listing. I found it by part number.
Fram CH9713 - I only list this for reference - I don't recommend Fram filters.
Luberfiner P993
Wix 57341

Abarth2012
08-07-2012, 01:19 PM
I am glad I have 3 years free oil changes for my Abarth. Then again it doesnt look very hard to change the oil though. Being hesitant on doing anything mechanical on your car or whatever is better than being cocky and over confident and missing something. I'm just going to enjoy the free oil changes and the parts cost should be no issue come three years from now.

Bladecutter
08-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Those who can, do.
Those who can't, pay someone else.

Those who think they can, but aren't really sure, usually ask for help, and get someone to teach them how, so that in the future, they can do.

BC.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
08-07-2012, 04:11 PM
I had the local Chrysler-Dodge dealer who will become a Fiat studio later this year. I brought the oil + filter they change them and installed a super magnetic oilplug and rotated the tires for $33 and change. Val 5W40 Syn

Wolfie
08-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Oil extractors - what brand is the best?

stilyong1
09-30-2013, 11:46 AM
I changed the oil in my son's car at 6000KM about 4000 miles. ( Live in Canada )

As oil changes go I don't see why Fiat could not have put an access door for the drain plug in the skid pan. Also there is a cross member where the oil drains which causes it to splash everywhere. My Dodge truck has a chute to control where the oil goes. I think I will build one out of metal for the next oil change and clip it on the cross member before I remove the drain plug. Oil filter, Requires a 1 1/16" socket with a universal joint and a 10" extension to turn the canister. You must also remove it through the Air Conditioner hose to the left of the car and not directly straight up.

Cartrige Filters, WHY? Once out of warrentee I would like to get a remote spin on oil filter and stop this nonsense of removing the air box for access. I paid $14 plus 13% sales tax for the filter from the dealer. The counter rep. looked at the price twice, he too couldn't belive the cost of the filter. Also I have not been able to find access to the service manual for this car, if anyone has a link please let me know.

The car is great, just the service end is a lacking for information.

TonyK. Did u remove air filter hose to remove oil filter if so what size clamps do u use and what type screw type or
something easy to remove later. I have the 2014 500 Lounge dose ur car have GPS on it and how much did it cost to have it install and where did u get it done my dealer wants $600.00 to for a code to input into radio and it's done sounds like a ripoff to me . That was at Village Chrysler in Ajax ont.

lammie200
09-30-2013, 01:24 PM

If you look on ebay you will see some that have a spherical tank. That is the one that I use. I think that it costs about $50 USA.

Did u remove air filter hose to remove oil filter if so what size clamps do u use and what type screw type or
something easy to remove later. I have the 2014 500 Lounge dose ur car have GPS on it and how much did it cost to have it install and where did u get it done my dealer wants $600.00 to for a code to input into radio and it's done sounds like a ripoff to me . That was at Village Chrysler in Ajax ont.

Don't know about the GPS questions that you have, but the only thing that I temporarily relocate to replace my oil filter is the impact sensor. It is rather delicate. I also spaced out the windshield washer filler tube to be a little closer to the headlight. I put a nylon spacer underneath one of the mounting flanges which is accessible when taking off the passenger wheel and the wheel well liner. I can remove and replace my oil filter without removing anything else except a little skin from my knuckles.:p

cmj912
10-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Griot's Garage makes a moldable funnel. For a couple bucks you get a funnel that can squish around things...

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/form-a-funnel.do?sortby=ourPicks

stilyong1
10-09-2013, 05:02 PM
The sad thing about the oil filter is access. But even worse id the lack of instruction avialible. If you notice the pictue the oil filter is sided, un like the BMW's or Mercedes. One would worry weather it can be installed backwards and what the result would be.

Fiatfixer did oil on my 2014 500 iounge filter nut size is 1+1/8 not 27mm's or 1+1/16 after I figured I needed
a1+1/8 socket no problems. But why the differance in size of filter cup nut???? plus I found oil in my throttel I took off
my air intake to remove filter from top .

banzaitoyota
10-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Mityvac!
http://rs307.pbsrc.com/albums/nn288/banzaitoyota/2013-09-29_14-04-14_4_zps35cf280c.jpg~320x480