PDA

View Full Version : Florida FLU

jamesday24
06-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Does anyone know if Florida FLU is active? I had no replies to my thread on the FLU Forum (http://fluforum.italiancarclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=4256). The FLU website lists Kevin Barnett as the contact. Is anyone interested in reviving the FLU Florida chapter?

FiatLancia
06-08-2011, 09:26 AM
The Florida FLU chapter was started many years ago by a....let's say "abrasive"...guy who didn't care for most if not all of FLU's structure, so he basically split off an independent club which may or may not still exist. Not sure what happened with the Florida FLU chapter as a result; if Kevin Barnett (a great guy and a good longtime friend) is listed as the contact for Florida, then it sounds like that chapter got absorbed into a general "Southeast" chapter. But my advice (as a 20+ year FLU guy, chapter founder, chapter contact, etc.) is to get in touch with Kevin (he's a regular on the FLU Forums, or I can send you his contact info privately) and discuss it with him. I know many Fiat owners down in FL that would love to have a fully-functional chapter again; it just takes someone (are you that someone?) to organize and make it happen.

On a related note, we're driving our Prima #11 down to Florida (including a weekend in Orlando) in a couple weeks (you heard it right here first, folks!). I'd be happy to meet with you to help get you started on forming an official Florida FLU chapter.

-S

jamesday24
06-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the reply, Shaun. I was one of the founders of the Sunshine MINIs club back in 2003, and I'm not sure if I want to go through all of that again for the FIAT club. Plus, I don't have any history with, or much knowledge of classic Fiats.

Let me know when you're going to be in Orlando, I'd like to meet up at least.

Jim McKenzie
07-21-2011, 10:34 AM
I'd be interested in reviving it.

Max
10-05-2011, 09:31 PM
I'd be interested in joining it. Maybe even try to participate some once I get more settled in (just moved to North Miami area this past August).

Max

Max
10-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Hello Again,

I am curious, if "someone" was to rekindle the Florida FLU chapter where would make the most sense? I see on this very short thread, that of the three (including myself) who live in Florida, one is in Tampa, the second in Orlando, and myself in North Miami Beach/Aventura area. I'd certainly be interested in joining, maybe even being active in its organization but is there real interest and enough potential members down here? There were 357 views on this thread but only 4 posts.

I am curious, for those of you in Florida who would genuinely be interested in be a member of a Florida FLU chapter please voice your thoughts on here. I will also take a look at www.fiatclubamerica.com to see if there may be more response on there.

Regards,

Max

ac mandan
10-18-2011, 06:50 PM
I would be interested in a Fiat club also. I live in the south Florida area, Hollywood. Hopefully there will be enough interest to start something.
Thanks
Charlie

Max
10-18-2011, 07:00 PM
I would be interested in a Fiat club also. I live in the south Florida area, Hollywood. Hopefully there will be enough interest to start something.
Thanks
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Your in Hollywood? That would be very close to me, I'm in the SkyLake area. Its right next to Aventura. Let's start keeping tabs and see how much interest develops. We could start small and see how and if its grows. Which Studio did you get your car from and how long have you had it? I have no seen a single 500 on the road until this weekend and then I saw two. Both looked like POP's but it was distant so I could be wrong.

Max

Darkwagoner
11-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Live in Pompano along the Beach, so like to join up if anyone starts a group.

sjmst
11-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Great to see the interest! This is how club chapters get formed..by enthusiasts.

fredfrey
11-14-2011, 10:07 AM
I spend my winters in Key Largo down from New York and the Long Island Fiat Club (http://www.lifiatclub.com). I'd be interested in joining up withe fellow FIAT members. I have my Prima (23) and my 72 Alfa Romeo down there.

fredfrey
11-14-2011, 10:16 AM
I spend my winters in Key Largo, down from New York and the Long Island Fiat Club (http://www.lifiatclub.com). I'm interested in a Florida club. I've got my Prima #23 and my 72 Alfa down here.

Thad
11-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Folks, it only takes four current members to start the process to become an official Chapter. I just took a look at the database, and I can tell you that there are current FLU members in the following zip codes:

34276-4941

Max
12-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I spend my winters in Key Largo down from New York and the Long Island Fiat Club (http://www.lifiatclub.com). I'd be interested in joining up withe fellow FIAT members. I have my Prima (23) and my 72 Alfa Romeo down there.

What 72 Alfa do you have? I owned a 74 Alfa GTV2000 for 2 years. I loved it and its now of the few cars I regret having sold.

Looks like we may be able to get some gatherings started and if it progresses from there into something more perhaps a FLU chapter...

Max

FreddieB
12-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Count me in. I'm in Naples, Florida.

Piccirillo
01-12-2012, 12:07 PM
New to the Forum! me and my fiancee would love to know where to meet! We are between Sunrise and Key Biscayne!!

Thank you :)

Thad
01-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Piccirillo, there is a big event with FIAT tomorrow night (Jan 12) in West Miami. I have no idea how close you might be. It's sponsored by Planet FIAT at an art museum.932

fredfrey
01-12-2012, 10:33 PM
What 72 Alfa do you have? I owned a 74 Alfa GTV2000 for 2 years. I loved it and its now of the few cars I regret having sold.

Looks like we may be able to get some gatherings started and if it progresses from there into something more perhaps a FLU chapter...

Max

It's a GTV. Most of my cars are stored up North but that one is my Florida car.
I'm game for some Italian car events in South Florida.

BillE
01-18-2012, 05:46 PM
In Bonita Springs area (near Naples).
Assuming I work my way up the Ft Myers dealer's Abarth "wait list"....and actually own another Fiat (first car was a 1960 Fiat Abarth 750), I'll be interested in a Florida club.

fredfrey
01-19-2012, 10:24 AM
There are two upcoming events in South Florida that my be of intrest to owners of Italian cars:

Cars on Fifth - Sat, February 11 - 5th avenue, naples florida

St. Armand’s Key Car Show - Sat, February 18 - St. Armands Circle Park, Sarasota Fl

Piccirillo
01-26-2012, 01:04 PM
There are two upcoming events in South Florida that my be of intrest to owners of Italian cars:

Cars on Fifth - Sat, February 11 - 5th avenue, naples florida

St. Armand’s Key Car Show - Sat, February 18 - St. Armands Circle Park, Sarasota Fl

They are too far for me! we need to come up with something down here. There was a nice set up at my local dealership and a lot of people invited didn't show up. Because this is some sort of niche car, I understand that gathering a group of enthusiast it will take quite some time.

I will try to stay active in the forum with some ideas for local folks and surroundings.

Have a great day

Piccirillo
01-31-2012, 12:46 PM
So...nothing coming over Southern Sunny Florida any time soon? I would love to share some ideas and concerns about the little monster...

Thad
01-31-2012, 01:35 PM
All it takes is one person to start organizing something.......

Piccirillo
03-12-2012, 01:15 AM
So...nothing going on?

I'm in a Sunrise/Weston area

Mike S
03-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Nothing like coming to the party late. I had never noticed this thread.

I was one of the founding members of that Fiat club which became part of the FLU group. The abrasive guy that was mentioned was Evan Stateman. He wanted to start a Fiat club in South Florida and he had the energy and determination to do it. I offered to help him but I warned him that it would be difficult to get an active group in Florida because of all the activities available and the part time nature of many of the residents. We bought a list of currently registered Fiats in Florida from the State and did a mailing. There were about 2200 Fiats in Florida and we selected the 500 closest for mailing. Not too many responses. Most of the older cars do not have A/C so that could have been part of the problem. This was in 2004.

It was hard to get enough Fiats together to do anything but we did have some events. We went to Freakout and Evan became more involved in FLU. I forget what the problems were but we all decided not to stay with FLU.

I'm not new to car clubs. I started a Fiat club in Chicago in the 70's. At that time car clubs were active. No internet and printed and mailed monthly newsletters. I was a member of three other clubs at that time (Alfa, Vintage MG CC and Austin Healey). We put on our own events, were invited to other club events and helped each other to put on events by manning checkpoints in rallies or as corner workers at the local tracks we rented.

You can see how many people in Florida (on this site) have some interest in getting together but nobody has raised a hand to put it all together. I too would be a member but I don't want to do it all again. There is also some distance between us that makes it harder to get together. Southeast Florida, Southwest Florida and Central Florida each have a handful of people.

I think it may only work if several clubs work together. Mini Cooper comes to mind. We have a local Alfa club too but I have not seen much from them lately.

fredfrey
03-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Perhaps you can join up with the South Florida Alfa club? I don't run the club but I do participate in events with them durring the winter months as I escape the NY weather. As Mike said, car clubs are tricky in FLA. The roads are pretty boring, the weather is too hot much of the year and there are too many other activities to do.

Thad
03-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Like Mike S mentions above, FLU has plenty of members in Florida. We now also have the benefit of many new dealers who are anxious to support local events. What we need is a person willing to be the organizer. Which Floridian wants to raise their hand?

Mike S
03-13-2012, 07:42 PM
I didn't mention it (FLU members in Fla), you did. However, There is some interest in getting together so I propose we try to pick a date and place to get together. There could be more than one date and one place.

Thad
03-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Sorry. You mentioned how people are interested and nobody has raised the hand to get it going.

Mike S
03-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Not trying to pick a fight. I would like to see something happen. Are any of the folks in the mentioned zip codes trying to start a chapter?

Thad
03-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Everybody wants to do something. Nobody wants to be the organizer. I live in Philly. The commute would be a killer!

Edward Wanser
03-26-2012, 09:49 AM
im up for a get together im in apopka/orlando

SeaDawg
03-26-2012, 09:52 AM
im up for a get together im in apopka/orlando

So am I.

Mike S
03-26-2012, 05:44 PM
There is a really nice car show coming up in Jupiter Florida on April 7 called Wheels Across the Pond Lots of nice British and European cars.

http://www.wheelsacrossthepond.com/

Last year I entered my old 500 and my new 500 and it was great fun. It is a somewhat central location for many so maybe some of us could get together.

Thad
03-27-2012, 09:46 AM
The dealers are all anxious to hear from local people. Involve them and let them buy lunch or something.

djlarryt
03-27-2012, 10:44 AM
I have already sponsored some dealer events in Orlando...looking to help out. I would want to stay Orlando / Central Florida. Lets get this club up and going!

Larry Taylor
Fields FIAT of Orlando
407-674-8830

Thad
03-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks Larry!

SeaDawg
03-27-2012, 12:17 PM
I have already sponsored some dealer events in Orlando...looking to help out. I would want to stay Orlando / Central Florida. Lets get this club up and going!

Larry Taylor
Fields FIAT of Orlando
407-674-8830

Hi there, again.:D I'm the person who put down the 1st deposit for a regular 500 last year before you opened, the pest who buzzes around Lucas over in Service and the old farth who stops in every now and then just to say hi. I'm somewhat (WAY) beyond Facebook age. How about posting here about pending events or using my email address, which you guys should have on file already.

Axela05
04-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Well here's a predicament. I'm actively looking into purchasing a 500 Sport (long time Mazda owner) and would love to head up a Florida Fiat chapter but I still need to buy my 500 first, lol (currently own a 11' Mazda2). I started and ran the Florida chapter for Mazda3's for a couple years now but recently took a break because I'm looking to leave Mazda. I've also been a forum moderator for a few years now. The other issue is that I'm in north Florida while most everyone else is in central/south Florida (hasn't stopped me from driving to Oralndo or Miami for a meet though). I'll keep you guys posted on my buying progress as once I do, I'd gladly head up a FL chapter :)

djlarryt
06-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Well here's a predicament. I'm actively looking into purchasing a 500 Sport (long time Mazda owner) and would love to head up a Florida Fiat chapter but I still need to buy my 500 first, lol (currently own a 11' Mazda2). I started and ran the Florida chapter for Mazda3's for a couple years now but recently took a break because I'm looking to leave Mazda. I've also been a forum moderator for a few years now. The other issue is that I'm in north Florida while most everyone else is in central/south Florida (hasn't stopped me from driving to Oralndo or Miami for a meet though). I'll keep you guys posted on my buying progress as once I do, I'd gladly head up a FL chapter :)

I could help you find a FIAT :) Call me!

Also....Max, I know who you are!

djlarryt
06-06-2012, 03:30 PM
We are going to have our 1 year anniversary block party July 21st, Saturday. All our Fields customers are invited as is the general public. I will post a thread today.

Axela05
06-25-2012, 05:50 PM
We are going to have our 1 year anniversary block party July 21st, Saturday. All our Fields customers are invited as is the general public. I will post a thread today.

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. I've been more active in another 500 forum. I'll certainly keep you guys in mind when I decide to buy. Orange Park Fiat is closest to me but Fields and Daytona Beach Fiat are also both on my radar :)